Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Nissir posted:

They should just have judges walking around with a packpack full of belts, suspenders, and various hygiene products that they hand out like infractions.

Our local L2 who was HJ for several PTQs makes it his policy to bring deodorant to large events and warn people that they will be asked to use it if they smell. It's a step in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wrestling is the only legitimate activity where both rear end crack and BO are acceptable. Might have to do with physical exertion. (Strong) fatties exist there too, at least before weigh-ins. Coincidentally the same happens with rugby and American football. It's almost as if...

Death Bot posted:

Definitely showing up to the next big tournament without having showered to tilt my opponents. Between that, playing lands in front, my anime girl playmat, my unsleeved esper control deck where the only win condition is a single recurred thought scour, and my custom printed I <3 THE RESERVE LIST t-shirt I will be sure to win.
Same but my esper deck is all foiled out.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

Okay, I thought you were making an argument based on physical difficulty finding pants that fit or fastening your belt non-painfully. The mental image side of the coin makes more sense, but that wasn't clear to me from your original post because you seemed to focus on mechanical difficulties.

It is sort of one caused by the other. Fatties don't like to wear the right clothes because of those reasons. They should do it, being the least amount of gross as a fat person is pretty important, but in some ways you can't get that big because you care. You have to have given up to some extent. This whole conversation is uncomfortable and feels a little E/N but I am a little sensitive to it, I've put on like 50 lbs or so in the past 2 years and it is awful and I am struggling to get back to where I was pleased with my physical fitness but I have to choose things like socialize, sleep, or exercise. It stinks.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So what you're saying is if I'm immune to the concept of shame, I can offload all my soap and deoderant purchases to the Magic community as a whole? Any chance at detergent too?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I know! I'll have my wife give couponing seminars at GP's. She can show nerds how to get deodorant for next to nothing, so they don't have to choose between smelling like a dumpster or a playset of scalding tarns.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

If I was running 2 Elspeths (double white) and assemble the legion without any mana fixers, how many white sources would be adequate?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What I've gotten out of this discussion is between the subject matter and the parties talking about it, it's assholes all the way down.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I would also like to point out that wearing deodorant is not equivalent to showering. People need to do both. But I guess one of the two is better than zero.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

jassi007 posted:

I know! I'll have my wife give couponing seminars at GP's. She can show nerds how to get deodorant for next to nothing, so they don't have to choose between smelling like a dumpster or a playset of scalding tarns.

I think you've obliquely hit on the problem here!

Magic players do buy deodorant, they just never use it because they're waiting for the price to rise so they can flip it :smaug:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Death Bot posted:

my unsleeved esper control deck where the only win condition is a single recurred thought scour

I don't care about the rest of your statement but if you can actually manage to create a control list that can win by recurring thought scour in a format where thought scour is legal I will probably eat a brick.

I mean, I'm sure Noxious Revival storm can do it but that's not esper :colbert:.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Samael posted:

If I was running 2 Elspeths (double white) and assemble the legion without any mana fixers, how many white sources would be adequate?

40 or 60 cards? Are those the only white cards in your deck?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Zoness posted:

I don't care about the rest of your statement but if you can actually manage to create a list that can win by recurring thought scour in a format where thought scour is legal I will probably eat a brick.

Who said anything about winning? Or about games ending for that matter???

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So what you're saying is if I'm immune to the concept of shame, I can offload all my soap and deoderant purchases to the Magic community as a whole? Any chance at detergent too?

I've got italian black border deoderant, I've got a miscut toothbrush, I've got japanese mouth wash. Dealing out of my trunk to avoid the fees, but it's all legit.

Zoness posted:

I don't care about the rest of your statement but if you can actually manage to create a control list that can win by recurring thought scour in a format where thought scour is legal I will probably eat a brick.

I mean, I'm sure Noxious Revival storm can do it but that's not esper :colbert:.

One of my favorite things to do in ISD block constructed was using Tamiyo ult to turn Thought Scour into Ancestral. You could use it to mill them out too, but that's not as fun as casting Ancestral in block constructed.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 11, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Samael posted:

What kind of deck are you running? I'd say if you're doing some sort of Boros midrange you should just play the 4 scry lands + 4 shocklands, also adding some chained to the rocks because it's just way too efficient if you're going RW.

rabidsquid posted:

I've got italian black border deoderant, I've got a miscut toothbrush, I've got japanese mouth wash. Dealing out of my trunk to avoid the fees, but it's all legit.
:laffo:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

rabidsquid posted:

I'm sorry man, I can't trade my vintage beta shaving kit for that FBB poo poo.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Promoted Pawn posted:

40 or 60 cards? Are those the only white cards in your deck?

60, yes, running a white splash variation of r/b tokens that bhsman is using.

EDIT: Chained to the rocks is nice but it doesn't activate young pyromancer.

Samael fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 11, 2014

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

One starting point is to look at your mana curve and ask yourself, "if I have X lands in play on a specific turn, how many need to produce colour Y or colour Z?"

If your only white cards are 6 drops that need double white, 1/3 of your six lands need to produce white on those turns, so you can begin with 1/3 of the lands in your deck producing white and refine from there.

If you have a 2 drop that needs double blue on turn 2, you should get as close to 100% of your lands producing blue as possible and refine from there. If that 2 drop is a late game card you just think about how often you'd like to have those two available and choose that way.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

How about the Pro Tour Avacyn Restored winning decklist in U/W Miracles? IT has two sets of win cons, the most common...by far is the angel plan, but another one Alexander Hayne used that day was ultimating Tamiyo, the Moon Sage and recurring dissipate and thought scour as his kill.

I look forward to watching you eat that brick.

4 Evolving Wilds
13 Island
10 Plains
27 lands

4 Devastation Tide
1 Dissipate
4 Entreat the Angels
4 Feeling of Dread
4 Temporal Mastery
4 Terminus
4 Think Twice
4 Thought Scour

4 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

Nemico posted:

One starting point is to look at your mana curve and ask yourself, "if I have X lands in play on a specific turn, how many need to produce colour Y or colour Z?"

If your only white cards are 6 drops that need double white, 1/3 of your six lands need to produce white on those turns, so you can begin with 1/3 of the lands in your deck producing white and refine from there.

If you have a 2 drop that needs double blue on turn 2, you should get as close to 100% of your lands producing blue as possible and refine from there. If that 2 drop is a late game card you just think about how often you'd like to have those two available and choose that way.

While this is good when you need to do it on the fly, you can just read and bookmark this:

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

DurdleDuck fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 11, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Nemico posted:

That's good advice! I am running 6 white sources plus a singleton springleaf drum and chromatic lantern. I think I am going to add in one more white source and see how it goes tonight. Thanks. :)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Madmarker posted:

How about the Pro Tour Avacyn Restored winning decklist in U/W Miracles? IT has two sets of win cons, the most common...by far is the angel plan, but another one Alexander Hayne used that day was ultimating Tamiyo, the Moon Sage and recurring dissipate and thought scour as his kill.

I look forward to watching you eat that brick.

That's not its only win condition so I'm pretty sure I'm safe here. Also, that deck can't possibly hold its own in modern as-is.

The real point is - any control list in modern has access to colonnade so thought scour is never going to be your primary win-plan barring a mill deck (as opposed to a control deck).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 11, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

That's not its only win condition so I'm pretty sure I'm safe here. Also, that deck can't possibly hold its own in modern as-is.
You never said that it had to be the only win-con, you specifically said, that it could win by recurring thought scour. You also never specified modern, only in a format it was legal in. I'll quote below.....

Zoness posted:

.....but if you can actually manage to create a control list that can win by recurring thought scour in a format where thought scour is legal I will probably eat a brick.

Innistraad Block Constructed is a format thought scour is legal in.

U/W miracles can win through Thoughtscour recursion.

Now, I don't actually want you to eat a brick, and yes I am being an insufferable pedant, but it does meet your criteria as specified.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 11, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Madmarker posted:

You never said that it had to be the only win-con, you specifically said, that it could win by recurring thought scour. You also never specified modern, only in a format it was legal in. I'll quote below.....

Innistraad Block Constructed is a format thought scour is legal in.

U/W miracles can win through Thoughtscour recursion.

Now, I don't actually want you to eat a brick, and yes I am being an insufferable pedant, but it does meet your criteria as specified.

I will concede that one such deck existed by taking my criteria literally as opposed to intended context. You win the pedantry battle. I actually forgot about U/W Miracles for that pro tour (but Frank Karsten did say it was a bad deck okay).

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Zoness posted:

I will concede that one such deck existed by taking my criteria literally as opposed to intended context. You win the pedantry battle. I actually forgot about U/W Miracles for that pro tour (but Frank Karsten did say it was a bad deck okay).

*opens Snapcaster and Thought Scour in Pack Wars*

Your move :smug:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zoness posted:

Some sort of old school pyromancer ascension deck (the kind that recurred ftime warp infinitely) could win with thought scour in modern. It'd be better off winning with lightning bolt most likely, and ur storm is always going to be the better pyro ascension deck, but I'm certain it could notch some thought scour wins. If your criterion is that it has to be the best available option, I don't think you're ever going to get that.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I feel much better about my Friday ritual of showering and shaving before FNM :shobon: or heading out in general

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JerryLee posted:

Some sort of old school pyromancer ascension deck (the kind that recurred ftime warp infinitely) could win with thought scour in modern. It'd be better off winning with lightning bolt most likely, and ur storm is always going to be the better pyro ascension deck, but I'm certain it could notch some thought scour wins. If your criterion is that it has to be the best available option, I don't think you're ever going to get that.

Pyromancer Ascension already runs Thought Scour and I would be stunned to discover anyone has ever won by Thought Scouring their opponent with it. He was just making a joke and reading a bunch of TECHNICALLY CORRECT responses is kind of a drag.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

I actually forgot about U/W Miracles for that pro tour (but Frank Karsten did say it was a bad deck okay).

Oh I don't blame you for forgetting the deck, it was a very boring pro tour.

However, I can't quite agree with Karsten there, mostly because I am biased towards u/w control decks in every format so.... eh. However, I will agree that it certainly wasn't even the best deck played at that protour, I'd wager that some version of this deck was the best for that event:

4 Cavern of Souls
4 Evolving Wilds
9 Forest
4 Hinterland Harbor
2 Island
1 Plains

4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
3 Dungeon Geists
4 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Invisible Stalker
3 Strangleroot Geist
4 Wolfir Silverheart

3 Abundant Growth
4 Increasing Savagery
3 Silent Departure
4 Spectral Flight

Zoness posted:

You win the pedantry battle.

Well, since I couldn't make it to GP Richmond I had to try and win at something. :shrug:

Sidenote, it took me forever to realize who I was quoting and responding to since you don't have your avatar anymore, sorry buddy, that sucks.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 11, 2014

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Rules/card mechanics question: If a Boros Reckoner was to block a 5/5 creature with trample, would Boros Reckoner be able to assign 3 damage or 5 damage to another creature or player?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

morning wood posted:

Rules/card mechanics question: If a Boros Reckoner was to block a 5/5 creature with trample, would Boros Reckoner be able to assign 3 damage or 5 damage to another creature or player?

3 damage is lethal, he would only receive 3 damage so he would only assign 3 damage for his triggered ability. The remaining 2 damage spills over onto the player.

If trample wasn't there, BR would be able to assign 5 damage.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
The attacker does have the option to assign more than lethal damage if they want though.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So since Ponder is too good for Modern, would they ever reprint Omen in a modern legal set?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mehall posted:

So since Ponder is too good for Modern, would they ever reprint Omen in a modern legal set?

No reason they couldn't. The powerful part of ponder is the mana cost, not the effect.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I've been rooting for Opt. Come on Opt!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think Omen would be a good candidate for a Standard reprint. It wouldn't break Modern, and Standard takes what it can get.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Went to a 25-man Standard last night and a buddy of mine was running a home-brew of 5-color good stuff, and somehow he got 4th overall. I'm completely dumbfounded that the deck was running consistently, since he told me he's running exactly 0 Chromatic Lanterns, and the only mana fixing comes in Sylvan Caryatid.

He was running cards like Dreadbore, Courser of Kruphix, Polukranos, Golgari Charm, CHROMANTICORE, Blood Baron, Reaper of the Wilds, Domri Rade, Turn/Burn, etc.

He would consistently play every creature on curve, and end up being able to play or bestow Chromanticore on T6/T7. It just boggled my mind that the deck could run so well considering I'm only playing 2 colors and lost a game because I couldn't draw a 2nd land of one of them. :(

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

That's because Courser of Kruphix and Sylvan Caryatid are really good

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Mortimer posted:

That's because Courser of Kruphix and Sylvan Caryatid are really good

Especially with all the good stuff he's probably running scrylands for days.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

I've been rooting for Opt. Come on Opt!

Opt would be a really good one to reprint, at least as a test balloon. It's arguably the worst of the card selection cantrips as far as actually, you know, selecting cards (you see two cards max, you only see one before making the choice), but it's probably still playable and since it's an instant it doesn't necessarily have that 'strictly worse' bad taste in the mouth compared to Ponder, Preordain, Serum Visions, and Sleight.

I assume that suggesting bringing slowtrips back would get you run out of Renton on a rail, but I also wonder whether Portent would be okay in formats where Ponder is too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Portent would be interesting. It doesn't let Storm decks and the like get too degenerate, while still being good card selection for "fair" decks, plus it's not strictly worse than Ponder because you can target your opponent with it. Memory Issues is the big strike against it though.

• Locked thread