Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Worked on some stuff at the shop today.

Here's the S13 as it sat when I came in.

Time to add the temp sensor to my radiator so I can run relays for the electronic fans.

Testing out my 1/8" NPT tap against the sensor.

Turns out a threaded fuel rail standoff fits pretty good.

A threaded fuel rail standoff, a hole, some weld, and there you go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

ultimateforce posted:

A threaded fuel rail standoff, a hole, some weld, and there you go!

Shouldn't the probe be immersed in coolant? Not just the tip?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Just saw this pop up on my newsfeed on Facebook, saw the name "Raw Brokerage" and went "Oh hey...". Pretty cool stuff, getting featured by V2Lab :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

OneStopShop posted:

Shouldn't the probe be immersed? Not just the tip?

That's what he said. :haw:

But uh, yeah, I'd agree - it needs to be a bit deeper, otherwise you're just measuring the temp of the air pocket around the sensor. That doesn't even appear to be deep enough to be "just the tip" (the tip alone would be fine, if it's actually immersed).

I hate to be that backseat driver welder, but wouldn't it be better tapped into somewhere that it'll be immersed, while still being near the top?

I know Nissan puts the (gauge, not ECU) temp sensor in the upper radiator hose neck on the FWD version of the KA - something similar would be pretty ideal, I would think - something close to where the upper hose dumps into the radiator, but low enough to where the sensor is guaranteed to be touching coolant. Anything other than having it sitting in a guaranteed air pocket. With where it's at now, it looks like the tip might be lucky to get splashed on as the upper hose empties into the radiator, unless your high point is much higher than the radiator itself (kind of like GM's "we'll put a surge tank half a mile above the radiator" approach).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 9, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Unless that's not the top of the radiator.

Offset does seem a bit long, though.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

It's the bottom of the radiator, so my logic was that it'd be flooded with coolant all the time (with the inside of the bung filled with water). I will admit it'd longer than it needed to be, I was mostly working with that I had and seeing how it turned out.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I think it should work fine as long as the set point is adjustable.

I've been using the fancy vw switches with low and high outputs to trigger a 2 speed relay and fan with 1 switch.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Welp, starting the whole project over.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
^ Thread title

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
In the bottom/sides it should be fine like that IMO.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I think you want the temp sensor to be in the top of the radiator so it is measuring the temp of the cooled coolant. That way the fan turns on if the coolant going into the motor needs cooling. At the bottom of the radiator, you're measuring the temp of hot coolant fresh out of the motor, not really a useful data point.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I understand your logic, but our mechanic's logic of "getting the temperate of the water in the block," made sense too.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I thought cooled coolant is the bottom of the rad? I'm pretty sure ka's cool the block first.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Is that a downflow radiator? If so having the sensor in the bottom is correct, assuming the hot engine coolant is coming in up top. I'm not familiar with Nissan cooling systems. If hot coolant comes in the bottom, sensor should be up top.

If its a cross flow, the sensor for fan control should be on the tank opposite the hot side. In that case sensor height doesn't really matter as long as it sees coolant.

Proper rad fan control uses the radiator output temp. Trying to control fans with the hot temp will ignore the effect of car speed on cooling efficiency.

The mechanic is right about wanting to know the block temp, but that should be used for a gauge output.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Welp, switching to air cooled.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I am working on turbo V8 stuff, and I can't decide to do slip fit connections on the header merges or weld them in. A lot of drag cars I've seen, including the one I worked on at Mazworx, used slip fits that were welded in place.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

"[Name of shop removed] Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Here's another question, if offered a $5 discount on your next purchase would anyone be willing to post reviews on google, yelp, merchant circle, etc.?"

lol

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Five bucks??? Holy poo poo let me just drop my pants for this stunning display of social media marketing prowess.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

"Omg best shop evar!!!!!1! Got payed a 5 dolla Bill to tweet this, Yolo!"

That's what I imagine they'll get for reviews.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

The beat goes on at the shop. Working on a 1,000HP+ FMIC system.

Not much to say other than this is going on a customer's car and I'll use what I did here to replicate more later. Garrett core, 4" outlets.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is the lip at the edge for a rubber hose (ingenuity!), or for more material later on when welding a pipe on (genius)?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

It's a bead to have something for a clamp to rub against. You can't bead roll this thick of pipe as far as I am aware.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Crustashio posted:

Is that a downflow radiator? If so having the sensor in the bottom is correct, assuming the hot engine coolant is coming in up top. I'm not familiar with Nissan cooling systems. If hot coolant comes in the bottom, sensor should be up top.

If its a cross flow, the sensor for fan control should be on the tank opposite the hot side. In that case sensor height doesn't really matter as long as it sees coolant.

Proper rad fan control uses the radiator output temp. Trying to control fans with the hot temp will ignore the effect of car speed on cooling efficiency.

The mechanic is right about wanting to know the block temp, but that should be used for a gauge output.

The lower rad hose is always the outlet from the radiator to the water pump, cross flow or down flow, because, unless it's empty, there's always water there to pump. If the set point of the fan relay is adjustable, it doesn't really matter where the sensor is, as long as it's immersed in coolant. Mine actually has a nifty compression fitting that let's the capillary tube replace the drain petcock. (Petcock)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crustashio posted:

The stock cooling system for the KA has a temp sensor (for the gauge) in the upper radiator hose neck. The ECU sensor (which also handles the fans) is actually mounted to the head somewhere. Hot coolant goes through the upper hose.

ultimateforce posted:

It's the bottom of the radiator, so my logic was that it'd be flooded with coolant all the time (with the inside of the bung filled with water).

That works, I thought it was at the top when I first saw it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 12, 2014

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I am using an aftermarket fan controller. The stock KA uses a clutch fan.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not in FWD trim. :colbert:

Though I'd guess there's still a temp sensor in the same spot for the ECU.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Sorry I don't bother thinking about FWD engines. :colbert:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

And there goes my car projects again. I am getting my rates raised on my student loans, now at $1,500 a month. :allears:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

ultimateforce posted:

And there goes my car projects again. I am getting my rates raised on my student loans, now at $1,500 a month. :allears:

drat son, that's getting up the with mine.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I wish I made that Holdbrooks money

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

DENTIST CHAIR FORUM CHECK-IN.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
$1500 dollars a month for student loans!?!? What the gently caress did you go to school for?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
BS in Underwater Welding and Associated Components, right?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

TWSS posted:

$1500 dollars a month for student loans!?!? What the gently caress did you go to school for?

Computer Science. I took out a bunch of small loans rather than one big one, and each payment is at least $200. It adds up.

FUN FACT: Due to my shop not having the employee taxes sorted out I was on a 1099 all last year (I am on W2 now), and I owe $3,800 in taxes. What a country!

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Has your education helped you with any of the CNC fab your shop is doing? Also, are you the business owner or a valued employee? Sorry for bombarding you with questions, but as a student of burning and blinding myself I think the work you do is really neat.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

ultimateforce posted:

Computer Science. I took out a bunch of small loans rather than one big one, and each payment is at least $200. It adds up.

FUN FACT: Due to my shop not having the employee taxes sorted out I was on a 1099 all last year (I am on W2 now), and I owe $3,800 in taxes. What a country!

It's not the country's fault the shop didn't have their poo poo straight.

Sorry you're having to learn that hard lesson though, I had a similar thing happen to me and tax time that year sucked.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ultimateforce posted:

If you get a good tax preparer you can probably a lot of poo poo off. You saved receipts, right?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

leica posted:

If you get a good tax preparer you can probably a lot of poo poo off. You saved receipts, right?

:laugh: Too mean.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

TWSS posted:

Has your education helped you with any of the CNC fab your shop is doing? Also, are you the business owner or a valued employee? Sorry for bombarding you with questions, but as a student of burning and blinding myself I think the work you do is really neat.

You can... Use your education?

No actually my CISCO certs mean jack poo poo working at the shop. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

leica posted:

I did but I guess what I have isn't worth much. All I really buy for work is the gas to get there, combined with the mileage I didn't really get that much taken off the initial hit. I own an expensive ($200) welding helmet I bought not too long ago and that didn't even effect my return's total when I put it in.

• Locked thread