Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I was annoyed they bothered to make a Jafar mini but it didn't have a snake staff.

As some examples to new mini's photographers, this is why even if you think you don't need them you always bring your panels with you!

poo poo looks like a small explosion just happened stage right:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Pacheeco posted:

I finally sucked it up and got around to painting the last model from my Tyranid Ebay haul and the last model in my Tyranid army (for now). I don't really like the positioning of the arms or torso or side spikes or basically anything on the model (it came pre-assembled) so I just rushed through painting it as quickly as possible. It wasn't too painful given how large the model is but painting fully built models is a serious chore and I'd gladly pay the premium for a brand new model at this point. I might re-varnish it with a gloss coat and then a 50/50 mix of Liquitex Satin and Liquitex Matte varnish in the future as my pure matte varnish is hazing out my models a bit and turning the black parts into very dark gray parts.

I don't know why you're complaining. This model looks cool as hell!

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I'm doing it. I'm getting back into tabletop gaming. I have probably a thousand bucks of unopened Orks in my mancave that have been untouched since I moved into my house, because I lost my paints, but I just dropped almost $300 yesterday on a whole shitload of Vallejo paints.

I'm scared.

Also, having been out of the hobby for a while, what on earth happened to Citadel paint ranges? The Foundation Paints and Washes were pretty awesome, but from what I'm seeing they just kind of threw everything to do with those out and started over with a shittier system.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Funky Bunch Wikia posted:

Also, having been out of the hobby for a while, what on earth happened to Citadel paint ranges? The Foundation Paints and Washes were pretty awesome, but from what I'm seeing they just kind of threw everything to do with those out and started over with a shittier system.

They're still around they just renamed them.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

In theory it's still there, they just changed the names (bases and shades respectively). In practice it seems like some of the paints are shittier, some are still okay (but you're still buying GW paint in pots which at this point is sort of a drawback itself), and some might be even better (but again, GW).

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Are the Vallejo Extra Opaques a decent substitute for the old Citadel Foundations?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

I'm doing it. I'm getting back into tabletop gaming. I have probably a thousand bucks of unopened Orks in my mancave that have been untouched since I moved into my house, because I lost my paints, but I just dropped almost $300 yesterday on a whole shitload of Vallejo paints.

I'm scared.

The foundations are still there. They've just been renamed as the Base range, so you get more colours and they arent limited to chalky pastel colours. The washes have became shades, which again are a massive improvement on the last lot.

The new range is far far better than the old.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I picked up some Tamiya Basic Putty at Hobby Lobby over the weekend. I thought it was a two part epoxy style putty like kneaditite but it's even better. I love this stuff -- I can apply it right out of the tube to the seams on a model, smooth it with a wet finger, then sand it down and the seam is completely gone. I had an old metal Warpwolf Stalker stripped and in pieces, some time with a hobby drill, epoxy putty and the Tamiya Putty has it looking pretty sweet. No pics right now.

I primarily use putty to smooth in gaps in my models, as opposed to constructing new parts, so the two part epoxy putty I have from Harbor Freight works great.

After building this weekend and painting some Hordes minis, I've discovered I enjoy the modelling and painting aspect of the hobby immensely more than the playing part. Oddly, I only enjoy it if I'm painting stuff for myself -- I hate painting stuff for other people.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 11, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

The new range is far far better than the old.
I finally meet someone who likes the new range! Would you let me dissect your brain? :v:

For me the Citadel paint range died with the old range. The new paints are quicker to dry out and some of them (I'm looking at you Abaddon Black; how do you even gently caress up black paint :wtc:) have had very pronounced coverage/consistency problems so it's a bit of a minefield whether you get a good batch. They are also horrible if you use an airbrush (thicker pigment particles? The old Foundations airbrushed great, but the new line clogs like hell even with Layer paints).

Their advantages might be that they brought back glazes and the new Base range has non-muted colors (I actually loved the old ones as great bases for mixing/highlighting). I don't know anything about the quality of the new washes.

Also, the new GW technical paints (blood, cracked earth, etc.) are good.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
For a start I never would airbrush with GW paints, they're all a bit too prone to clogging due to their pigment size and carrier fluid consistency. Abaddon black is the only real shite one, Im not sure how you can gently caress up black paint but they did.

I like them. I find them very easy to work with and their massive range of colour in vibrant hues mean i dont need to mix often.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Posted this in the historicals thread, but thought some of you in here might like it too:

TheBlobThing posted:

Had an interesting case of cocked dice during last Sunday's game of FoW:

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
That's a natural 7. Congrats on a successful roll!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

The Sex Cannon posted:

That's a natural 7. Congrats on a successful roll!

It was my opponent's roll. :(

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

TheBlobThing posted:

Posted this in the historicals thread, but thought some of you in here might like it too:

Time to throw out that dice! It is far too smoothed on that one corner and creates less 'random' results! :goonsay:

Pierzak posted:

I finally meet someone who likes the new range! Would you let me dissect your brain? :v:
I have to side with Mr Gaylord. Not only because of my experiences with GW paints but I can't ignore that custom title and his works in this thread. Maybe one day Paint Vagrant (such a fitting name) will wander back and profess the wonders of P3 and other lines over GW.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm no PV but I'd say that limiting yourself to only one line is silly, as is completely refusing to use another. I've transitioned over to P3 for the most part, but still use plenty of GW paints. Their new black is indeed awful, as are their metallics in my opinion (pouring out a virtual 40 for my bro Boltgun Metal). But their washes and glazes are excellent. There are other shades I still use, including the new graveyard earth, for example. I haven't tried the new technical paints, but they seem good from what I've seen and heard. Otherwise, I use P3 since I like the consistency much more, and they have some really interesting shades you don't really see in most other paint lines. Every painter should have Menoth White Highlight, for example. Easily the best paint for mixing highlights that I've come across. I also really enjoy Arcane Blue for super cheat-mode glowy/magic style effects.

PV will come in and talk about his weird hipster paints that he buys in dark alleys in St. Louis, or some poo poo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fyrbrand posted:

I'm no PV but I'd say that limiting yourself to only one line is silly, as is completely refusing to use another. I've transitioned over to P3 for the most part, but still use plenty of GW paints. Their new black is indeed awful, as are their metallics in my opinion (pouring out a virtual 40 for my bro Boltgun Metal). But their washes and glazes are excellent. There are other shades I still use, including the new graveyard earth, for example. I haven't tried the new technical paints, but they seem good from what I've seen and heard. Otherwise, I use P3 since I like the consistency much more, and they have some really interesting shades you don't really see in most other paint lines. Every painter should have Menoth White Highlight, for example. Easily the best paint for mixing highlights that I've come across. I also really enjoy Arcane Blue for super cheat-mode glowy/magic style effects.

PV will come in and talk about his weird hipster paints that he buys in dark alleys in St. Louis, or some poo poo.

This.

Just using one brand is silly. I love VMA, but they lack the more 'out there' colours that mean I still turn to GW's layer paints for. Similarly with P3 menoth white highlight is almost mandatory.

I will disagree on the metallics though. I still prefer GW's golds and bronzes over anything thats not alcohol based.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Verdugo posted:

I picked up some Tamiya Basic Putty at Hobby Lobby over the weekend. I thought it was a two part epoxy style putty like kneaditite but it's even better. I love this stuff -- I can apply it right out of the tube to the seams on a model, smooth it with a wet finger, then sand it down and the seam is completely gone. I had an old metal Warpwolf Stalker stripped and in pieces, some time with a hobby drill, epoxy putty and the Tamiya Putty has it looking pretty sweet. No pics right now.

I primarily use putty to smooth in gaps in my models, as opposed to constructing new parts, so the two part epoxy putty I have from Harbor Freight works great.

After building this weekend and painting some Hordes minis, I've discovered I enjoy the modelling and painting aspect of the hobby immensely more than the playing part. Oddly, I only enjoy it if I'm painting stuff for myself -- I hate painting stuff for other people.

Hm, that sounds like a better option than green stuff, but on the other hand I don't want to support Hobby Lobby's regressive anti-employee healthcare policies.

Is it this stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Putty-Basic-Type-32g/dp/B0073T7PXG

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
So, is Vajello Extra Opaque a good Foundation replacement? I'm interest to know, too. Funky Bunch Wikia :tipshat:

TheBlobThing posted:

Uh, that maple leaf had better represent 6 because Canada is never a failure. :colbert:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

serious gaylord posted:

This.

Just using one brand is silly. I love VMA, but they lack the more 'out there' colours that mean I still turn to GW's layer paints for. Similarly with P3 menoth white highlight is almost mandatory.

I will disagree on the metallics though. I still prefer GW's golds and bronzes over anything thats not alcohol based.

Yeah their gold/bronze range might still be ok. It's been awhile since I've looked at them. I'm mostly just bummed out at the new silver metallics. In partcular Leadbelcher, I think it's called? Hot garbage compared to Boltgun. The other shades didn't seem any better.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Post 9-11 User posted:

So, is Vajello Extra Opaque a good Foundation replacement? I'm interest to know, too. Funky Bunch Wikia :tipshat:

Uh, that maple leaf had better represent 6 because Canada is never a failure. :colbert:

Don't worry, they do. And Canadians in FoW are completely awesome.

Also, to contribute to paint chat, I also use many different paints. I loove VMC for their coverage. But for fantasy and sci-fi, I often lack the crazy colours of GW paints. Never really liked VGC though, I think the ones I've tried have had even worse coverage than GW paints.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

gilljoy posted:

Battlefoam? Is it worth it? I cam get the pp hordes bag and trollblood foam for £130 delivered, not sure if I should get that or just buy a kr case, no custom foam from them though
I'm going to be the unpopular voice here, but I like Battlefoam. They are expensive, but their bags and trays are of a good quality. I'm not a fan of the OD Green that many of the bags come in, but whatever. Yeah, you can make the stuff yourself cheaper, but do you really want to lug around a 12 pound metal AN/PVS case to your games? If you can wait until the holidays, they always do 20% off for Black Friday as well.

LumberingTroll posted:

Well, I spent today stripping out my utility room that had be doubling as a storage room for my unfinished models and terrain.

Now I have plenty of room for the messy stuff, Making molds, and casting, and making terrain in general!
Can I move in? Man, I wish I had that space for my casting - it would make my life so much easier...

Kommando posted:

Crossposting from GBS.

I'm dismayed to say I was informed that EvilMuppet had taken his life last night.
I saw him occasionally in this thread and thought you should know.
I dont know what to say...

Heres a thread I made. I'm honestly at a loss.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615569&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post426764305
drat it. This kind of poo poo is happening too much - a really good friend passed away a couple of months ago from cancer, and I just found out on Friday that his wife took her own life due to grief. :cry:

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 11, 2014

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

berzerkmonkey posted:

Can I move in? Man, I wish I had that space for my casting - it would make my life so much easier...

I think my wife would be unhappy with the addition to the family, but I suppose I could use a fourth kid, especially if that addition was a gamer :D My three children are still too young, the eldest being 8. Though some boardgames are possible this year.

Here is some progress on the overhaul of my "dungeon" also known as the basement, or "Daddys domain"

Still a lot more setup and organization to do, but we only moved into our new house last June, and I have been stupid busy with the studio.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is only one word that can describe that, and that word is mancave. That is truly an amazing thing. :allears:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Just starting to prime some stuff with my airbrush after not having used it for a while, and I was wondering something.

Should I be taking off the needle guard from the front of my airbrush when I'm painting? I'm finding that paint is piling up in the tip because of it, and its causing it to get clogged more often and sputter. Is this the cause of the problem or should I be looking elsewhere?

Edit: VVVVVV just finished cleaning up my priming, and that was a much nicer experience.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 11, 2014

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yes - remove it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Does anyone know of a good commission painter in the UK? I wanted to paint up Shadow Captain Korvydae for a friend but I feel I might not have enough time (17 days) to paint it nicely.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ijyt posted:

Does anyone know of a good commission painter in the UK? I wanted to paint up Shadow Captain Korvydae for a friend but I feel I might not have enough time (17 days) to paint it nicely.

How much you willing to spend?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Holy poo poo I hate metal miniatures.

See that little pouch thing? That goes on the back of the saddle. Those two pins are supposed to glue together (its not broke, I bought two and they are both the same) and support that whole banner.

This is the finished model

I want to ditch the banner all together, but I'm going to use him for my BSB. Not to mention transporting this thing without it breaking. Jesus loving christ.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Not a viking posted:

See that little pouch thing? That goes on the back of the saddle. Those two pins are supposed to glue together (its not broke, I bought two and they are both the same) and support that whole banner.

I want to ditch the banner all together, but I'm going to use him for my BSB. Not to mention transporting this thing without it breaking. Jesus loving christ.

I accidentally knocked my gyrocopter off of my desk last night, but it was the plastic one so only one propeller came loose :smug:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

These last couple of posts reminds me that I have a couple of staves for Necrons that I need to fix.

What's the best way to fix staffs to clenched fists and what not? Super glue has been a nightmare and isn't working. I'm using Gorilla glue btw. Do I need some other brand? Do I need to pin these things together?

LumberingTroll posted:

Amazing studio pictures

I am in awe. Jealous and envious awe.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 11, 2014

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Not a viking posted:

Why would you design the cast that way? :psyduck: It almost looks like it'd be worth it to cut/dremel out the pole on both pieces and replace with with a single replacement length of brass or something.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Not a viking posted:

Don't torture yourself too much on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wf3ZmhXuOc

Soldering is the only sane way to handle that crap. A soldering iron is pretty cheap to get, reasonably easy to use, and will result in a bond which is fairly strong. It's exactly the same idea as plastic glue; you're trying to weld pieces together.

In addition to what this guy is recommending, you might want to try some flux. You apply the flux to both sides of the joint, then melt the solder onto the joint, or transfer it on the tip of the iron.

It's a little funny to me that sometimes, people get into this hobby working with metal miniatures without ever having picked up a soldering iron for years and years. To me, if you're not dealing with plastic or wood all the time, it's basically required. Though I supposed it's going away as a typical part of the toy soldier hobby, because of the proliferation of plastics and resin.

Anyway don't be shy. It's remarkably easy to do, and certainly no worse than trying to glue or pin it. If you're *very* ambitious, you could try a 'polectomy', and replace it with brass rod, but I'm not sure the end result would have done you any favors in terms of being easier to deal with. It really just as the virtue of being the strongest final structure.

Edit: one technique I saw my mother using when she restored stained glass windows, was to put flux on the joint, then touch the unmelted solder to the joint, and finally touch the soldering iron to the solder, so that you don't have to carry it from one place to another, or worry about it dripping in the wrong spot.

Though she was also really good at it, and I don't know if that's why she did it that way.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 11, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
40k thread crosspost. Could I get some feedback on this thing I made last night:

I want a 30K Imperial Army compliment for my Iron Warriors. I was thinking space Cossacks, but since that's pretty overdone I went with a feral trench look. I figure that would compliment the legion style. Does this style work or should I add or remove something? Do they look 'old' enough to be 30k vs 40k?

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

40k thread crosspost. Could I get some feedback on this thing I made last night:

I want a 30K Imperial Army compliment for my Iron Warriors. I was thinking space Cossacks, but since that's pretty overdone I went with a feral trench look. I figure that would compliment the legion style. Does this style work or should I add or remove something? Do they look 'old' enough to be 30k vs 40k?

Looks great, I like the way it draws influences from 40k units and even old rogue trader imperial army models. You can imagine your 30k version fitting into that develpment.

Ask yourself this though: 'Can I be bothered to make hundreds of these in different styles, with all the different weapons option? Am I going to go mad from modelling the same fiddly thing over and over?'

Seriously though, I like it, but think about how easy it will be to make lots.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Pilgrimski posted:

Looks great, I like the way it draws influences from 40k units and even old rogue trader imperial army models. You can imagine your 30k version fitting into that develpment.

Ask yourself this though: 'Can I be bothered to make hundreds of these in different styles, with all the different weapons option? Am I going to go mad from modelling the same fiddly thing over and over?'

Seriously though, I like it, but think about how easy it will be to make lots.

It's incredibly cool. A breath of fresh air and tone-perfect for the 30k setting. Don't list to this guy. Don't think about the human cost. Love only the Emperor. Be a beacon for his presence. Expurgate the impure. Failure to convert is heresy.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

AndyElusive posted:

These last couple of posts reminds me that I have a couple of staves for Necrons that I need to fix.

What's the best way to fix staffs to clenched fists and what not? Super glue has been a nightmare and isn't working. I'm using Gorilla glue btw. Do I need some other brand? Do I need to pin these things together?

I am in awe. Jealous and envious awe.

You can pin alone, which is fiddly and/or you can find a drill bit that is the same size as the pole or staff and drill yourself an indentation to use, which is much easier.

When you say Gorilla Glue, do you mean actual Gorilla Glue or the Gorilla brand cyanoacrylate glue? If it's the latter that's fine.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 12, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

I still prefer GW's golds and bronzes over anything thats not alcohol based.

I have a Sycorax Bronze I bought in July and used once twice that is currently the consistency of a set jelly made with too little water. i'd much rather something that lasts.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm going to be the unpopular voice here, but I like Battlefoam. They are expensive, but their bags and trays are of a good quality. I'm not a fan of the OD Green that many of the bags come in, but whatever. Yeah, you can make the stuff yourself cheaper, but do you really want to lug around a 12 pound metal AN/PVS case to your games? If you can wait until the holidays, they always do 20% off for Black Friday as well.

Seems to me that there's nothing inherently wrong with the Battlefoam product, and they have a whole lot more custom stuff in the store, the main query is: Do you want to give your money to a company with delivery on time issues run by an abusive litigious rear end in a top hat? If you're ok with that or really don't care, go with Battlefoam. If not, try someone else.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
oops

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Which of these should I use for Brazen Claws vehicles?

Basically should I quarter them from one angle or two?

Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Neither, just quarter them like this guy:

http://wfarcadia.blogspot.com/2012/03/brazen-claws-completed.html

• Locked thread