Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (December 21, 1926)

He wants to be a good son, but good sons paid retail before the Internet.

Peanuts (March 15, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

But we were promised a hanging! :(

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 1-2, 1924)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Is that a black man being confronted by a police officer in that second Out Our Way?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Green Intern posted:

Is that a black man being confronted by a police officer in that second Out Our Way?

Yes. If you look closer you can see the lips...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Oh Mike, what lovely shaggy dog joke are you wasting a week's worth of strips on now?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lars Blitzer posted:

Flattop Jr's Car! I can't get over it!:allears: Man, he's really mining the previous decades isn't he?

P.S. That's gotten me sucked back in. So thanks for that.

You know, it wasn't all that long ago that we did our readthrough of that very storyline. I wonder if somebody on the Tracy team reads the thread. Such a specific reference to a series of strips nearly sixty years old without any prompting seems like an Unnatural Position Comix.

Pooch Café

Mailman and we, Hudson.

Ballard Street

Try doing this right after you have a big meal. I guarantee you'll vomit, and it will be hilarious.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fok_It

It's bothersome to translate a joke when it's people trying to sound cool by saying random English phrases like "too much".

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

To me, this is weirdly reminiscent of the Dagobah scene from "The Empire Strikes Back" where Yoda tells Luke to go into that rooty-cavey place and deal with that apparition of Darth Vader. Except, there was no drinking involved. Well, at least not by the characters in the movie. :haw:

E: I don't know how that "A" in Darth got capitalized. I am not good with computer.

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 11, 2014

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Obviously this is a sideless trunk, not a bottomless trunk. We can clearly see in panel 2 Grandpa's egress through the back side. Furthermore, the bottom is flat on the ground, making it impossible to escape in that direction even if it is bottomless. False advertising here.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

To me, this is weirdly reminiscent of the Dagobah scene from "The Empire Strikes Back" where Yoda tells Luke to go into that rooty-cavey place and deal with that apparition of DArth Vader. Except, there was no drinking involved. Well, at least not by the characters in the movie. :haw:

I think it's a takeoff of a certain Norse legend. Thor was in the hall of a giant king having a wrestling match with an old housemaid. She fought him down to one knee, but the fight ended in a stalemate. It turns out the giants called the fight because they were using illusion magic and he was actually fighting Old Age. They were scared that if they gave him a chance to muster any more willpower he would overpower her and break time itself. Earlier challenges included Loki narrowly losing an eating contest to the very concept of fire, and Thor losing a drinking contest by only being able to finish half his drink, which turned out to be the ocean.

When they left the giants immediately cloaked themselves and their castle so they would never have to risk having dinner with the aesir again.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Green Intern posted:

If that's what Williams was going for, at least the strip is true to the times. :smith:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

What signed musician doesn't dream of having their representatives in this position?

I'm just going to assume that Milo doesn't attend school anymore.

Calvin And Hobbes

This can't possibly be the 'Noodle Incident'.

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

In The Sticks goes where no other comic dares. It is entirely about golf.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

What signed musician doesn't dream of having their representatives in this position?

Dove ice cream bars were a luxury item at this point.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Darthemed posted:

This can't possibly be the 'Noodle Incident'.

When I was a kid I figured that this was the Noodle Incident, to the point where I was surprised to learn people wondered what the Noodle Incident was. It just seemed so obvious.

Edit: Also, that Prince Valiant is pretty drat grim. "Here is Prince Valiant having awesome adventures and being awesome. Here he is confronted with the spectre of time and the knowledge that all shall fall to it, shall be ground into dust and forgotten, and there is no stopping it, no matter how brave or strong you are. Now here he is on another adventure!"

catlord fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 11, 2014

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin falls in love, off cliff.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

RandomFerret posted:

I think it's a takeoff of a certain Norse legend. Thor was in the hall of a giant king having a wrestling match with an old housemaid. She fought him down to one knee, but the fight ended in a stalemate. It turns out the giants called the fight because they were using illusion magic and he was actually fighting Old Age. They were scared that if they gave him a chance to muster any more willpower he would overpower her and break time itself. Earlier challenges included Loki narrowly losing an eating contest to the very concept of fire, and Thor losing a drinking contest by only being able to finish half his drink, which turned out to be the ocean.

When they left the giants immediately cloaked themselves and their castle so they would never have to risk having dinner with the aesir again.

Appropriately I've got a link to the story as told in Valhalla, the comic series. It's even translated. http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/869599.html

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
If the Wally Winkerbean plots are anything to go by, we're about to see approximately 10 years of plots (maybe only a slight exaggeration) about whether or not Cory is dead.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Huh? And, "Y'Wot"? Um. Hmmm. What is that exactly? I see it's a contraction of something, but what?

It's a contraction of "you what?", used to mean "what did you say?". A Britishism.

And I'm guessing she's already on so many antidepressants that she's hallucinating that the new ones might not be terrible.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Bimbo the Karateka

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Was it this commercial? Because this commercial rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdK8E8m56tA

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Reply All

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Foreshadowing For Dummies™

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Stultus Maximus posted:

Foreshadowing For Dummies™

Who cares, look at Jonah's face, dude's having the time of his life! :haw:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Who cares, look at Jonah's face, dude's having the time of his life! :haw:

Forget his face, what's going on with his hands?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Uh, I think you mean Craftmatic bed.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Volume posted:

Forget his face, what's going on with his hands?
He's holding them palms-up; you can tell because the repulsor-ray apertures on the palms are visible.

I'm not sure why he's starting to make a finger-gun with his left hand, but maybe he was conflicted about what kind of emphatic gesture he should use to accompany his gloating "How'd you like the debut of IRON JONAH?"

Or maybe it's some kind of secret message, like Carol Burnett tugging her ear.

Either way, at this point I never want Jameson to ever take off that Iron Jonah suit. I want to see him sitting behind the desk in his office, cigar jammed into the mouth-slit of the helmet, yelling at Parker to go out and get him some pictures of Spider-Man. I want to see Iron Jonah laid out on a towel at the beach, sipping cocktails through a long straw. I want Iron Jonah sitting in a fancy restaurant with a napkin tucked into his chestplate.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Mister Kingdom posted:

Uh, I think you mean Craftmatic bed.

He's just working on his digestion.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

We're in for another two months of treasure gazing with Dick Grabber the Bad Guy, aren't we? Goddammit Phantom, get this pacing together.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Daily Phantom really seems to be stuck hard in a rut. Anyone heard if the writer is having problems?

Modesty Blaise

Here comes trouble! Willie's shirt has realized this, and will be in hiding until it's all clear.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

"Readers"?

Midnight Moth posted:

A Safe Havens sketch comic based on Tiggum's "that's not how science works" comments.

:golfclap:

Jim's Journal

No cigar, no lady on his arm...

Johnny Hazard

Yeah, yeah, okay. Why?

CSI: Coconino

Classic Mandrake

Lothar pays a visit to the Home for Infinite Losers.

Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future

"These Shikadi are toast!"

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

A rather subdued piece of kitschy americana.

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Eugh, are those supposed to be kids?

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (February 22nd 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Is he feeling smug because the really buff guy is underendowed?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Wonder if anyone watched Sesame Street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

AxeManiac posted:

Wonder if anyone watched Sesame Street

Electric Company, I think you'll find. :colbert:

Darthemed posted:

In The Sticks goes where no other comic dares. It is entirely about golf.

Not quite. In the Sticks was originally a golf comic ... and then it suddenly turned to right-wing political ranting.

• Locked thread