Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I don't even know how to begin to answer that. The real answer to me is that he's awesome wherever he goes, in different ways. He seems to be able to adapt to whatever the audience in front of him wants, whether it be long technical ROH matches or short, signature-move filled WWE matches.

Yeah, it's incredible how well he's been able to change his work to adapt to the WWE style and still put on incredible matches. From a pure in ring perspective I kinda prefer a lot of his indie work, but it's really more impressive how far he's risen in the WWE considering the variety of factors working against him from the outset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I don't even know how to begin to answer that. The real answer to me is that he's awesome wherever he goes, in different ways. He seems to be able to adapt to whatever the audience in front of him wants, whether it be long technical ROH matches or short, signature-move filled WWE matches.

After being handed tons of crap in WWE, he's been able to spin most of it into gold, and still get over.

Team Hell No should've been stupid and awful, but it ended up being genuinely entertaining.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Daniel Bryan's basically been the best wrestler in the world for close to a decade now. He has the innate ability to connect to a crowd like no other, to make them believe, no matter if it's a 60 minute ROH style draw, a five minute loss to Batista in 2010, a throwaway gauntlet match on Raw, or a main event pay per view match. The only thing is maybe he does too many kicks in WWE, but I don't think that's his choice. The people like kicks. He's as good as he ever was, and looking to not slow down anytime soon.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I hope they show up on the Network so I can watch that bungee cord match between Chaz and Mike Davis again!

I can't believe I remembered those names.

I can't believe this was actually a thing. Holy balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZiTbU5JTUk

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

TL posted:

Mike Davis obviously wasn't in that match, but before that match took place, he was testing out the bungee cord or something and when he came down, he claimed to have gone into space and brought back a moon rock that became his manager.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

TL posted:

I can't believe Vince Russo hasn't somehow come up with a Triple Cage Bungee King of the Mountain match, in which you have to fight your way to the top of the third cage, where you will have to climb outside, bungee jump down to pick up the title lying on the outside, and once you're back on top hang the title up in the rafters.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Germansimp posted:

I can't believe Vince Russo hasn't somehow come up with a Triple Cage Bungee King of the Mountain match, in which you have to fight your way to the top of the third cage, where you will have to climb outside, bungee jump down to pick up the title lying on the outside, and once you're back on top hang the title up in the rafters.

Don't give him any ideas.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Germansimp posted:

Just need something on a pole and you'd be set!

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Germansimp posted:

The only way this would be better is if when if they bungee jumped, they were pulled down through a hole cut in the ring.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Anyone remember what fan made video it was that had Gnarls Barkley's "Just a Thought" as the music? I thought it was the Daniel Bryan story, but the only one I'm finding is Dragonborn with Skyrim music.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Is there any actual difference between the Diamond Cutter, the Stone Cold Stunner and the RKO or are they all pretty much the same move?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Castomira posted:

Is there any actual difference between the Diamond Cutter, the Stone Cold Stunner and the RKO or are they all pretty much the same move?

Get to youtube! They're clearly very different moves

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Stunner in particular is very different.

The RKO and Diamond Cutter only really varies in the setup (or lack of it in the case of the Diamond Cutter.)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Stunner drops the neck/jaw across the shoulder, completely different move.

Cutter and RKO are meant to drive the face into the mat. I believe DDP would usually drop into the cutter while standing, whereas Randy almost always jumps into the RKO.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 11, 2014

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Get to youtube! They're clearly very different moves

diamond cutter is a standing 3/4 headlock jawbreaker, driving the opponents head to the mat

stunner is a seated or kneeling one with the impact on the opponents jaw recoiling off your shoulder

rko is a leaping version of the diamond cutter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Castomira posted:

Here's a comparison video of the Ace Cutter, Diamond Cutter, and RKO with crappy music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8DvqczvfGU

Page sorta lifts a guy up, then does the cutter. Sometimes he does it without the lifting.

Rather than lifting them, Orton jumps up into the air.

And the stunner/ace cutter both have the guy doing them falling down without any real jumping up into the air, *or* lifting of the opponent. The Stunner also has the boot to the gut beforehand.

Personally, I think Orton's looks the coolest when done right. It has this feeling of immediacy that really adds to the 'he can hit this thing out of loving nowhere and turn the match around in an instant' gimmick.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Castomira posted:

There are a ton of variations on the move, some slight, and some drastic.

- DDP's Diamond Cutter
- Masato Tanaka's Diamond Dust
- Disco Inferno's Chartbuster
- Johnny Ace's Ace-Crusher
- Steve Austin's Stone Cold Stunner
- The Disciple's Apocalypse
- Marvelous Marc Mero's TKO
- Brock Lesnar's F-5
- Matt Hardy's Twist of Fate

And on and on and on

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
I laid off Raw for a few weeks. Has Bray Wyatt been doing the location-specific "We're here" for long or is it brand new?

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

magnum_valentino posted:

I laid off Raw for a few weeks. Has Bray Wyatt been doing the location-specific "We're here" for long or is it brand new?

The last month, maybe a little longer.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Perry Normal posted:

Charlie Minn, probably. No idea about a video.

EDIT: I should have known better than to search for his real name (which I remember for no good reason). I should have known to search for "Action Zone Asian Guy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDfEURVtrlI

Thanks for this. I too tried to find him by name instead of "Asian Guy".

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Has DDP ever said anything about his relationship with the Undertaker? There angle is legendary at this point in terms of burial of a guy in respects to DDP. My question is, was this more WWE or Undertaker not liking DDP?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Red posted:

- DDP's Diamond Cutter
- Brock Lesnar's F-5

And on and on and on

I don't think the F5 is similar to a cutter at all.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It's supposed to end in a standard DDT but Lesnar just whips the guy around and who cares if it sticks, it looks awesome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red posted:

- DDP's Diamond Cutter
- Brock Lesnar's F-5

And on and on and on
You never see the Kanyon Cutter coming so much that you forgot to include it on this list.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
There's also the Santino Stunner (which is Santino dropping straight down for a stunner but instead of a sitout he does a Russian split).

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Spikeguy posted:

Has DDP ever said anything about his relationship with the Undertaker? There angle is legendary at this point in terms of burial of a guy in respects to DDP. My question is, was this more WWE or Undertaker not liking DDP?

DDP did talk about it, I think on his interview with Austin?

I wish I could remember the details, but DDP basically said he really regrets being so eager to sign with WWF.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Endless Mike posted:

You never see the Kanyon Cutter coming so much that you forgot to include it on this list.
Thank you so much for making me look this up.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The F-5 spins the opponent to the front so it's not a cutter. It's the opposite direction of a TKO, which is a cutter. Which I always found kinda funny since the guys that popularized both moves have been married to Sable.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

The F-5 spins the opponent to the front so it's not a cutter. It's the opposite direction of a TKO, which is a cutter. Which I always found kinda funny since the guys that popularized both moves have been married to Sable.

It's funny, when he used to do dark matches before RAW you'd see him in newsboard (remember those?) results where it'd say something like:

Brock Lesnar d. Scott Vick w/ the TKO.

Then I saw him do the move and thought "That is not a loving TKO".

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Is it just me or did the Ace Crusher look unsafe? Some of those guys took some nasty bumps.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Orgophlax posted:

Anyone remember what fan made video it was that had Gnarls Barkley's "Just a Thought" as the music? I thought it was the Daniel Bryan story, but the only one I'm finding is Dragonborn with Skyrim music.

It wasn't Daniel Bryan, it was a Brian Pillman video.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

triplexpac posted:

DDP did talk about it, I think on his interview with Austin?

I wish I could remember the details, but DDP basically said he really regrets being so eager to sign with WWF.

It pisses me off that pretty much everything that contributed to the Invasion failing even lead to an awesome guy like DDP not wanting to sign. I mean he clearly did it because he loving loved wrestling, and a combination of WWF talent not wanting to put over WCW talent, and all the other endless poo poo that hosed the Invasion... I mean it shouldn't have happened to a guy as nice as he was.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If DDP had waited another year or so, he and WWE both stood to make a lot more money.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Taker said he didn't know how to work and that was a death sentence for many a wrestler coming to the WWE.

A lot of styles basically stopped existing in the mainstream when WCW folded because the WWE style needed to be adhered to by everyone.

Thing Fish
Dec 8, 2006
any downers?
So there's a combo of gifs I can't find (and I totally combed the gif thread).

The first is Shane getting stunned by Austin right after he chugged a beer, and when he sells it, beer goes spewing everywhere. The next gif is an edit where it's just shane selling it as he flies out of the ocean, the beer spewing out like a whale's majestic blowhole. It's the most magical gif I've ever seen.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Taker said he didn't know how to work and that was a death sentence for many a wrestler coming to the WWE.

A lot of styles basically stopped existing in the mainstream when WCW folded because the WWE style needed to be adhered to by everyone.

This wouldn't shock me. General feeling in the Lockerroom at the time of the Invasion was "these fuckers tried to put us out of business don't even CONSIDER having them go over or paying them more than us" Because of course not one of them could sit down and think "... We could make a fuckload of money doing this" because wrestling is, was and forever will be an industry of people paying other people money so they can humiliate them.

and there was such a style clash because WCW had been an entirely different style, so maybe Taker legit thought "Does he not know how to work?" I know for a fact that the death of the Invasion was the Buff Bagwell debacle and Vince, who had been struggling so hard to get WCW its own timeslot, or even give them Raw and he saw that and was just "NOPE!" Also not helping matters? WWE ring is bigger than the WCW ring, you wanna know why every wrestler goes through developmental? because they need to get used to the ring above anything else.

Also, not sure how true this is. But apparently Vince McMahon got all the WCW guys to wear WCW shirts while in the locker room... Because it's Vince and does it need more explanation than that?

I know it's harped on to death but the Invasion could have been the biggest money maker in pro-wrestling history. But it seemed like everyone involved and everything around the situation was determined to make it fail, from Networks to Vince to Talent.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Setting up a make or break match for WCW and then putting Buff Bagwell in it is kind of like preemptively shooting your horse and then being dumbstruck it couldn't race.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Onmi posted:

and there was such a style clash because WCW had been an entirely different style, so maybe Taker legit thought "Does he not know how to work?"

I believe the book on DDP is that he liked to lay out his match before hand pretty meticulously and some dumb wrestlers hated that and thought it meant DDP sucked because he "couldn't" call a match in the ring. Also DDP obviously always took joy in varying up his moves and trying different things so I could see that annoying a long time WWE main eventer like Taker who is used to a pretty static style and approach.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Setting up a make or break match for WCW and then putting Buff Bagwell in it is kind of like preemptively shooting your horse and then being dumbstruck it couldn't race.

Buff had a body that Vince liked. He thought he was going to be a bigger star than Lance Storm who Booker was actually feuding with.

I don't think Vince really watched much WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DeathChicken posted:

There is no one better than Buff

Buff posted:

Let's start with his thoughts on John Cena:

"I don't think he's a Rock, I don't think he is a Sting, I don't think he is a Goldberg, I don't think he is a Stone Cold. But I think he's bigger than a Buff Bagwell. I really do. Now, mainly because of the way they've pushed him, I give him credit (for) being bigger than me. When you lay out the facts, no he's not as big as The Rock, no he's not as big as Stone Cold, no he's not as big as these other guys I'm talking about. Then again, you give me the same push i think i would be just as big as John Cena. He's not that cornerstone guy. He's not that super mega superstar that The Rock has become. He's not that super mega superstar Stone Cold had become. He's just WWE's number one guy and with a little bit of help, a lot of guys could be that guy. He's just got the look, he's got the ability, and he was at the right place at the right time to be their poster child."

And now CM Punk:

"He's too small. That's why they kept him and The Rock as far apart as they could until they had to wrestle because when you really stand Rock against CM Punk in the ring, they just don't look like it fits. You've got a 260-pound guy in The Rock down to a buck 80-85 CM Punk. Nothing against being 185 but you know TNA's got a division called the X Division for guys like that. I think that's a good thing to have, but as far as being the world heavyweight champion, CM Punk should not be. He's not big enough, he don't look the part. He's heard... I bet if you ask him and he told the truth, he's heard a million times 'wow, you're not as big as I thought you were.' That's not good for pro wrestling. You've gotta be big, you know? To make it believable, to make it more realistic. I don't think he's that. He just doesn't carry that kind of power."