Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

FrumpleOrz posted:

I hear you there, though with 3DO instead of Jaguar. I got my copy of Trip'd maybe... a year ago for like $20 and suddenly it's spiked to around $100 for a complete one. Anyone have any idea what would've caused a massive spike for such an obscure little game for a failed console? It's fun, yeah, but it's not $100 fun.

It's a Kenji Eno title, and he's gotten awfully popular since he kicked the bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Rollersnake posted:

It's a Kenji Eno title, and he's gotten awfully popular since he kicked the bucket.

Oh that's right, he just died within the last year, didn't he? That's too bad. He always seemed like an interesting dude. I suppose anyone involved with Warp had to be... different.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Also Trip'd kinda sucks compared to Flopon World. :coupons:READ ALL ABOUT IT IN MY SPECIAL THING:coupons:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Oh great, knowledgeable Retro Goons. I just went through my parents' storage space to look for some PSX games, and found a loose PAL cartridge of Soleil (Crusader Of Centy) that I don't even remember owning.

Any idea what the loose cartridge generally trades for? Ebay seems to have a really weird history of people either asking too much for it, or asking very little for copies that aren't in English.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Tyma posted:

Oh great, knowledgeable Retro Goons. I just went through my parents' storage space to look for some PSX games, and found a loose PAL cartridge of Soleil (Crusader Of Centy) that I don't even remember owning.

Any idea what the loose cartridge generally trades for? Ebay seems to have a really weird history of people either asking too much for it, or asking very little for copies that aren't in English.

Ten million dollars, congratulations you can now retire!

Just kidding, you'll probably get a few dollars for it. Most video games aren't worth that much money.

EDIT: That's a fun game you should play it

d0s fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 11, 2014

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Nativity In Black posted:

1) How do I hook up the sound?

2) Because I'm poor and bored, I don't want to just buy an AES controller and call it good, so I was going to try and mod an arcade stick I don't use. It seems like it should be as simple as wiring up common ground and then to a breakout board like this to connect to the port on the MVS board, but for the life of me I don't think I understand what is supposed to connect on the +5v port

1) JAMMA output is amplified to speaker-level, so you want a line-level converter. You can buy one, or you can build one - you're probably just in need of a 10:1 voltage divider so figure something like
code:
AUDIO-\/\/10K\/\-OUT-\/\/1K\/\-GND
Your other option I guess is putting some cheap speakers directly in the supergun which would be pretty funny.

2) Nothing? If you have an optical joystick or something else that needs power like button LEDs the 5v can be hooked up, but otherwise you just hook up the ground, the buttons and directions, and you're good. Button lines are pulled up by the board when open, so the ground connection is all you need to tell the board the button is pressed.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

rdbbb posted:

Also Trip'd kinda sucks compared to Flopon World. :coupons:READ ALL ABOUT IT IN MY SPECIAL THING:coupons:

All I know is that when I was all screwed up on drugs, that weird little music generator included on Trip'd was the GREATEST thing in the world. I could spend hours just playing a drum beat over and over.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Tyson Tomko posted:

Thanks for the suggestions dude! I've seen clips of the car from Daytonaaaaaaa in a fighting game before but didn't know what it was. I've got a bad habit of having serious tunnel vision when it comes to games for systems I don't own. I actually had Virtua Cop from a long time ago (from random lot my brother bought) but that 3-pack sounds too drat good to pass up. I'll get on those asap. Since we're both fairly new Saturn owners, please please feel free to shoot me a PM or post if you find something else, I'd love to hear about it. On my short list is the Die Hard Arcade game and of course the Panzer Dragoon stuff.

Those are on it for me as well, minus Panzer Dragoon Saga. If you get a Pro Action Replay plus to play import games I'd suggest Guardian Heros. I've played the re-release on the 360 and its a great beat-em-up, the only problem is that US and PAL versions are $70-$90, while the Japanese version is only $20-$30. I'm also planning on getting the weird Saturn platformers like Clockwork Knight, Bug, and especially Astal because it looks gorgeous.

Two games I'm curious about that I know next to nothing about are Dark Savior and Mr. Bones. I want to play Dark Savior because it's apparently by the same team that did Landstalker for the Genesis and I love that game. Mr. Bones though just looks insane. There's a video for it on a demo disk I have and I'm very intrigued by the guitar playing skeleton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk4k2gw8nwM

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I finally found a Trinitron in the wild.

I hate this game.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Well did you take it home and clean it up? I get plenty of stuff like that from recycle dumps like that, except the stuff isn't on top of so much ice.

edit: There's so many good Saturn games but others every new Saturn owner should play and don't require knowledge of moonrunes: Waku Waku 7, Magical Drop 3, Touge 1 and 2, Bulk Slash, Twinkle Star Sprites, and like a million other games I can't think of right now.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 12, 2014

home movies brendan
May 22, 2009
FrumpleOrz I have a Jaguar I am looking to sell with a mess of games. I don't have PM though. Can you shoot me your email?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

home movies brendan posted:

FrumpleOrz I have a Jaguar I am looking to sell with a mess of games. I don't have PM though. Can you shoot me your email?

Cool! Yeah, it's just my username at gmail.com.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

FrumpleOrz posted:

So I can't help myself and I'm in a console buying mood. I am going to buy a Jaguar next week when I get paid. Does anyone have any recommendations on what some good starter exclusive games for that console are? I'm gonna get Alien vs Predator for sure, since I've wanted to try that game since I was a kid but I think I'll need more than that.

Alien vs Predator is the obvious one, and honestly, I haven't taken it out of my Jaguar since I got it, but another fun game is Cannon Fodder. The Jaguar is something that I like having around and occasionally play but for something that's going to provide a lot of entertainment, I would go with a Saturn or a Turbo Grafx 16 if you don't already have them. Not to dissuade you and to each there own, hopefully you enjoy it, but me personally, I've only found a couple of games that I enjoy (and I have a high tolerance for lovely games).

Bing the Noize posted:

edit: There's so many good Saturn games but others every new Saturn owner should play and don't require knowledge of moonrunes: Waku Waku 7, Magical Drop 3, Touge 1 and 2, Bulk Slash, Twinkle Star Sprites, and like a million other games I can't think of right now.

Totally, for as down as I sound about the Jaguar, the Saturn is the complete opposite. I can't say enough (and it wouldn't be anything that anyone else here hasn't already mentioned anyways)great things about the Saturn, it's definitely one of my best purchases and favorite systems. If you like light gun shooters, there are great ones like House of the Dead (US version is :retrogames: but Japanese version isn't to bad), Die Hard Trilogy (Die Hard 2 plays like Virtua Cop), and Virtua Cop 1 and 2. Some other great games are Astral, Virtua On, and Die Hard Arcade to name a few.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Have any of you guys bought stuff off of shopgoodwill? Seems like a decent selection but they default to 1lb shipping on everything so everything ends up at 10-15$ shipping. Does the shipping end up that high at checkout?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

midwest ink posted:

Alien vs Predator is the obvious one, and honestly, I haven't taken it out of my Jaguar since I got it, but another fun game is Cannon Fodder. The Jaguar is something that I like having around and occasionally play but for something that's going to provide a lot of entertainment, I would go with a Saturn or a Turbo Grafx 16 if you don't already have them. Not to dissuade you and to each there own, hopefully you enjoy it, but me personally, I've only found a couple of games that I enjoy (and I have a high tolerance for lovely games).

I've already got a Saturn and I enjoy the hell out of that thing. I've always been curious about a Turbo-Grafx and I'll get one eventually. I have such a weird soft-spot for that weird mid-90s gaming stuff though and there's something that's always intrigued me about the Jaguar for whatever reason. It just seems like the perfect companion to my 3DO collection.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

Have any of you guys bought stuff off of shopgoodwill? Seems like a decent selection but they default to 1lb shipping on everything so everything ends up at 10-15$ shipping. Does the shipping end up that high at checkout?

I've bought from there and yes the shipping will be that high. Also everything will be filthy. But if you want to buy 20 lbs of random Playstation crap they're there for you. That said I have picked up a couple of gems like SNES Jr.s and even an NES top loader for way under eBay prices. But again they were filthy and took a lot of elbow grease to get them back to what I would consider clean.

And if you just need consoles for parts and can afford to buy in bulk they're actually a good option for that.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Two games I'm curious about that I know next to nothing about are Dark Savior and Mr. Bones. I want to play Dark Savior because it's apparently by the same team that did Landstalker for the Genesis and I love that game. Mr. Bones though just looks insane. There's a video for it on a demo disk I have and I'm very intrigued by the guitar playing skeleton.

I've got both of those games. Dark Savior is okay but the combat is a little stiff and the isometric view makes the movement a bit awkward. The analog control that it mentions on the box is only for camera view as well and it's really hard to use. I think I'd really like the game if it didn't have the platforming as well. I didn't get too far into the game though and switched over to Albert Odyssey after the first boss in Dark Saviour.

Mr Bones is a lot of fun if you like those mid-90s platformers that came out on the 32-bit consoles. It's a double-discer and it's pretty enjoyable but it's VERY 90s, so you better like that kind of thing.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

FrumpleOrz posted:

Mr Bones is a lot of fun if you like those mid-90s platformers that came out on the 32-bit consoles. It's a double-discer and it's pretty enjoyable but it's VERY 90s, so you better like that kind of thing.

And now I'm sold.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

parasyte posted:

1) JAMMA output is amplified to speaker-level, so you want a line-level converter. You can buy one, or you can build one - you're probably just in need of a 10:1 voltage divider so figure something like
code:
AUDIO-\/\/10K\/\-OUT-\/\/1K\/\-GND
Your other option I guess is putting some cheap speakers directly in the supergun which would be pretty funny.

2) Nothing? If you have an optical joystick or something else that needs power like button LEDs the 5v can be hooked up, but otherwise you just hook up the ground, the buttons and directions, and you're good. Button lines are pulled up by the board when open, so the ground connection is all you need to tell the board the button is pressed.

This is, I believe the info I need. Being an MVS board, and stereo, I'm understanding I pull the audio from pin 10 and hook it up like you mentioned.

I thought that might be the case regarding the controller, but I wanted to make sure before I got to far.

Thanks for the info!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, after having gone to Goodwill again a few days ago and finding gently caress-all in the Computer Center, I decided to stop by the good local retro store on my way home from work, where I would treat myself to one game. So, having picked up Bionic Commando and wondering why it wasn't already in my NES collection, I round the corner of the rack to find a device I'd only ever seen in vintage promotional photographs before. Two of them, in fact. And a third on a shelf behind the counter. I had to have it. I don't even know what games are compatible with it aside from Centipede, but since the system's library is so small that I own literally more than a quarter of it with 19 games (27% of 69), I've probably got a couple others lurking around in there.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

SnatchRabbit posted:

Yeah shipping can be a pain. I got burned on an as-is PS1 with Final Fantasy VII because I wasn't paying attention.

On the other hand I also found Rockman Battle & Fighters for the Neo Geo Pocket Color on there just before the site really took off in popularity. It was in a lot with a couple GB games, and they had no idea how to list it by name since it was in Japanese and they didn't know what it was.

I've gotten real good at recognizing SNES game cartridges from small thumbnails.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I bought a bunch of japanese 3ds games at book off last week because I assumed the console was not region locked :negative:.

I did pick up Vib Ribbon, IQ final and the Xi games (devil dice here, gotta feed that polygonal puzzler set in a black void addiction) for ps1, plus japanese copies of all 4 ridge racer games to double down. I also got a neat see-through Hori ps1 control and a matching see-through pocketstation. Anyone got recommendations for cool stuff to play with the pocketstation?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

field balm posted:

I bought a bunch of japanese 3ds games at book off last week because I assumed the console was not region locked :negative:.

Depending on what you got I might be willing to take them off your hands.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Allen Wren posted:

So, after having gone to Goodwill again a few days ago and finding gently caress-all in the Computer Center, I decided to stop by the good local retro store on my way home from work, where I would treat myself to one game. So, having picked up Bionic Commando and wondering why it wasn't already in my NES collection, I round the corner of the rack to find a device I'd only ever seen in vintage promotional photographs before. Two of them, in fact. And a third on a shelf behind the counter. I had to have it. I don't even know what games are compatible with it aside from Centipede, but since the system's library is so small that I own literally more than a quarter of it with 19 games (27% of 69), I've probably got a couple others lurking around in there.

Was that from Game Over? Based on your description it sounds like a store I visit regularly, and I recall they had some trackballs sitting there for a while.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Bing the Noize posted:

Well did you take it home and clean it up? I get plenty of stuff like that from recycle dumps like that, except the stuff isn't on top of so much ice.

It was frozen to the ground. I couldn't move it at all. But I tried.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Hey kid, you wanna see a dead body? :getin:

About a week and a half ago I bought a lot of 10 model 1 Genesis decks "as is". All were dirty, a couple were in decent shape, most powered on. And then there was this one. Looks like somebody murdered a can of paint over it. There is corrosion caked onto every surface inside. I cleaned out the spider web with dried out beetle husks though! The only other broken unit had a really nice clean board but the cartridge slot was clogged with bits of rusty metal. :barf:

I bought em' because they were cheap and I figured it'd be good experience in repair. Going to try the s-video mod on one next and see how it goes. Related: oh my god this got so much easier when I went out and bought a de-soldering iron, instead of just trying to wick everything away with a braid.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Knock down the rust with sandpaper, then brasso the poo poo out of the remainder. It should probably work.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If anybody doesn't want to go whole hog on a desoldering iron, pick up a Soldapullt. Beats the crap out of a wick. Just don't go buying cheap counterfeit ones off Amazon or they will explode in your hand the first time you try to use them.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

I cleaned out the spider web with dried out beetle husks though!

I definitely need coffee because I read this in the "using the husks as a cleaning tool" way.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

univbee posted:

I definitely need coffee because I read this in the "using the husks as a cleaning tool" way.

Me too! I was wondering if this was some kind of abrasive cleaning technique I wasn' aware of.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Wow that's NMS.

I picked up a famicom mouse and now I'm on the hunt for some software that would work with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwt4AFE2D1A

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Internet Friend posted:

If anybody doesn't want to go whole hog on a desoldering iron, pick up a Soldapullt. Beats the crap out of a wick. Just don't go buying cheap counterfeit ones off Amazon or they will explode in your hand the first time you try to use them.

I like the ENGINEER SS-02, which can be got from thread-favourites Rakuten. It's nice because the tip is replaceable silicon tubing, you don't need to worry about melting it. http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.ie/2014/01/engineer-ss-02-solder-sucker-picture.html

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

About a week and a half ago I bought a lot of 10 model 1 Genesis decks "as is". All were dirty, a couple were in decent shape, most powered on. And then there was this one. Looks like somebody murdered a can of paint over it. There is corrosion caked onto every surface inside. I cleaned out the spider web with dried out beetle husks though! The only other broken unit had a really nice clean board but the cartridge slot was clogged with bits of rusty metal. :barf:

I bought em' because they were cheap and I figured it'd be good experience in repair. Going to try the s-video mod on one next and see how it goes. Related: oh my god this got so much easier when I went out and bought a de-soldering iron, instead of just trying to wick everything away with a braid.

I feel like that would be exactly what I'd do for a hobby if I had a bit more money and free time. Goodness knows after I fixed my Genesis and NES I suddenly had the strange urge to get another one, even though I already have those systems, just so I could restore them. Which feels like how people start adopting a ton of cats "so they won't be hungry on the streets" or something, since not only do I want more practice, but I feel like it'd be nice to help systems get a second chance instead of just being tossed.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This seems pretty neat, but what are the chances it's just a pre-rgb-modded nes with a fancy cartridge slot and huge price tag?
http://www.analogueinteractive.com/index.php/analogue-nt

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
douijindance RBG modded duo is up
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191098227949?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

RZA Encryption posted:

This seems pretty neat, but what are the chances it's just a pre-rgb-modded nes with a fancy cartridge slot and huge price tag?

It could be like the Super 8 which is a PCB some guy made to use new components other than original PPU/CPU chips.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Huh, guess they got tired of carving Neo Geos out of wood so they're carving NESs out of aluminum? I've had bad experiences buying accessories from them but maybe if you're paying the small fortune this thing will surely cost then you'll get it in the same year you ordered it.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

RZA Encryption posted:

Currently discussing this with them on Twitter, so say they :

Caitlin and Analogue on Twitter posted:

Analogue ‏@Analogueint 46m
Introducing the Analogue Nt. An NES/Famicom. It’s Videophile. It’s Audiophile. And there is no emulation. pic.twitter.com/meI9aYU1SG

Caitlin ‏@sacaitlin 19m
@Analogueint @ScrollBoss Well you certainly have piqued my interest even if I don't really need a NES, FC or FDS. No emulation you saaay?

Analogue ‏@Analogueint 15m
@sacaitlin @ScrollBoss no emulation!

Caitlin ‏@sacaitlin 14m
@Analogueint @ScrollBoss proprietary controllers or ports for originals only?

Analogue ‏@Analogueint 13m
@sacaitlin @ScrollBoss original controller ports - of course.

Caitlin ‏@sacaitlin 11m
@Analogueint @ScrollBoss so then no controllers will be packaged with the system at all for those who do not have them? USB support?
Caitlin ‏@sacaitlin 11m
@Analogueint @ScrollBoss just curious myself, I have all the originals! also curious about what video output we're looking at.

Analogue ‏@Analogueint 10m
@sacaitlin @ScrollBoss you’ll be able to use all of your original controllers

Caitlin ‏@sacaitlin 14m
@Analogueint @ScrollBoss just curious myself, I have all the originals! also curious about what video output we're looking at.

Analogue ‏@Analogueint 9m
@sacaitlin @ScrollBoss what kind of video outputs would you love to see?

Caitlin ‏@sacaitlin 9m
@Analogueint @ScrollBoss well if you're not emulating the most interesting thing to see would obviously be HDMI, personally I'm fine with
Caitlin ‏@sacaitlin 9m
@Analogueint @ScrollBoss composite/component (RGB scalers are the big thing right now)

Analogue ‏@Analogueint 1m
@sacaitlin lets just say I promise you won’t be disappointed :)

so yeah not sure entirely but hey

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Silhouette posted:

Knock down the rust with sandpaper, then brasso the poo poo out of the remainder. It should probably work.

Little late for that. I already removed the on/off switch from it to fix another unit.

Re: the crazy cat lady comment above, I now have fourteen Genesis decks in the house. :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Based on that twitter conversation I'd say it was just a bunch of empty promises. It looks like they've actually made things before though?

• Locked thread