Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sinestro posted:

If it is, it's also gonna be the year of Linux on the Desktop.

:ssh: In some parts of Australia, "ute" also refers to what we call pickup trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The problem with the Amorok is how gutless it is at low revs - sure on paper it makes a bunch of torque but in practice it really doesn't feel like it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

The guys said the Amarok was too small, and the Amarok is the same size as the Colorado, so.

I am desperately hoping for an Audi truck. Judging by the way they've segmented their sedans (4 door A4, 2 door A5, 4 door A5, 4 door A6, 4 door A7) I am expecting at least 8 different bed lengths, 5 different cab configurations and 16 different rear axle ratios.

The European economy and all car development that wasn't specifically for the Chinese market stopped cold 2 years ago.

Wait, 4 door A5?? I wasn't aware that existed. It seems to me if you're going to pick on a German luxury manufacturer for coupe/sedan model proliferation/confusion, that Audi is lower on that list than BMW and Mercedes.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Steve French posted:

Wait, 4 door A5?? I wasn't aware that existed. It seems to me if you're going to pick on a German luxury manufacturer for coupe/sedan model proliferation/confusion, that Audi is lower on that list than BMW and Mercedes.

You can get the A5/S5 Sportback in Europe, but sadly it's not offered here. It looks like a smaller version of the A7. I suppose if the new BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe does well, I would think Audi might consider bringing it over.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Who the hell would buy a fullsize VW pickup? I don't think any sane truck buyer would ever look at VW and think durability and longevity like they do for the big 3 truck brands.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VERTiG0 posted:

Who the hell would buy a fullsize VW pickup? I don't think any sane truck buyer would ever look at VW and think durability and longevity like they do for the big 3 truck brands.

Well to be fair, there were a few decades where the same could be said of the big 3's passenger cars.

Not that I see VW making a solid truck, mind you. Maybe Mercedes/Unimog, put those sweet sweet portal axles in something that doesn't cost >$120k and I bet they'd sell alright.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Fucknag posted:

:ssh: In some parts of Australia, "ute" also refers to what we call pickup trucks.

I thought this was a ute.

This is a normal pickup.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Don't forget this little mutant:

(third world only)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Sinestro posted:

I thought this was a ute.

This is a normal pickup.

I can't speak for Australian but here in New Zealand those are both utes.

This is a truck:

and we've never heard of such a thing as a 'pickup truck'

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I dont know why VW doesn't just bring the Amarok over and put that high-po 2.0 TDI in it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cream_Filling posted:

(third world only)

This is rad as heck! I like Brats and I thought the Baja didn't work because it was so drat 90s and I also know these things never ever sell but I just like them.
I like the look of that Amarok but like everyone is already saying I can't imagine who would buy them in the US.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dissss posted:

I can't speak for Australian but here in New Zealand those are both utes.

This is a truck:

That 'truck' would be laughed at in the US.
Our pickup truck would be like

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

They should just put a VW badge on a Ram and mark it up. That was their strategy for entering the minivan market.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ilkhan posted:

It'd be a hell of a lot more practical for a lot of purposes - not something you'd want to drive a long distance granted, but you get a much higher carrying capacity from a more compact overall vehicle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dissss posted:

It'd be a hell of a lot more practical for a lot of purposes - not something you'd want to drive a long distance granted, but you get a much higher carrying capacity from a more compact overall vehicle.

But in America you have to fill your pickup truck full of cattle and drive it across the continent of Texas to the construction site every day while eating nothing but meat, so I'm afraid your argument doesn't hold water.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

dissss posted:

What is the payload/towing capacity of one of those? I can't imagine it's much more than a half ton or heavy half.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Is this truck going backwards?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ilkhan posted:

No it wouldn't. I see those kind of trucks used by landscaping companies all the time. Plus contractors in construction will use them too.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Those trucks are awful and I'm glad they're uncommon in the US. They're slow and invariably blowing clouds of diesel smoke. On a 2 lane road the combination of both is terrible when you're stuck behind one.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

dissss posted:

This is a truck:

Impact standards, CAFE laws

Same goes for the Golf with a trunk, CAFE laws are by wheelbase

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

VERTiG0 posted:

I dont know why VW doesn't just bring the Amarok over and put that high-po 2.0 TDI in it.

If they would have done this a few years ago they would have had something unique that at least a few people wanted. Now you'll be able to get a diesel in the Colorado and the ram 1500. They waited too long.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Coredump posted:

No it wouldn't. I see those kind of trucks used by landscaping companies all the time. Plus contractors in construction will use them too.
Yeah but they are called "carts" not "trucks".

And yeah, I'd still love a 2.7 ecoboost powered Ranger. But its not gonna happen here.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ilkhan posted:

What? No. Where's the long bed? Where're the duallies?

Cream_Filling posted:

(third world only)

"utant"

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

angryhampster posted:

What is the payload/towing capacity of one of those? I can't imagine it's much more than a half ton or heavy half.

Pretty much whatever you like - I think the one in the picture is 2165kg

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
WHile on the subject of trucks, the Tremor has been released without fanfare.

At last, a short bed single cab pickup with the big engine for cheap

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
'Cheap'

Or is that in maple dollars?

E: It rings up at $45k using a Connecticut zip, including that Tremor Plus pack

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 11, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Wasn't the Ram Express whateveritwas like 22K? 2WD, but still... what the gently caress?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I thought it was going to be like mid high twenties?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wasn't the Ram Express whateveritwas like 22K? 2WD, but still... what the gently caress?

That was exactly the comparison I thought of. I think the RE listed for upper 20's but dealers were still advertising them around 20k OTD.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Express also came with absolutely nothing and a vinyl benchseat. Not saying that's a bad thing, but the Tremor really isn't comparable in that regard.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Throatwarbler posted:

WHile on the subject of trucks, the Tremor has been released without fanfare.

At last, a short bed single cab pickup with the big engine for cheap

Now that they've finally released it, it's time to pull the plug.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140114/OEM04/140119780/ford-to-drop-f-150-tremor-from-truck-lineup

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Q_res posted:

The Express also came with absolutely nothing and a vinyl benchseat. Not saying that's a bad thing, but the Tremor really isn't comparable in that regard.

But like you can buy two of em for the same price, sheeeeeeit.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
These guys are the biggest Ram dealer in NorCal and have plenty of 2WD Reg Cab Hemi's.....they have cloth seats....all under $30k. For some reason I rarely see them on the road, though.

http://goo.gl/J9mH6N

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

But like you can buy two of em for the same price, sheeeeeeit.

This is a pretty fair point actually.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yes?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

pretty standard to hold back the special variations for the 1st year of a new model but ya kind of goofy they released something for 1 year only, even if it is basically just an options package.

The Tremor is pretty cool for what it is but maybe with the all the aluminum and turbos flying around they'll bring back a real Lightning successor (that will probably cost $60,000).

Someone buy a Tremor, seal it up and sell it for $630,000 in 40 years

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Lamborghini designers have been playing jungle strike

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I configured a Ram to as close as I can to the $47k Tremor 4x4 w/ Tremor plus package - single cab, short bed, 3.91 gears, LSD, V8 with 8 speed, nav, and came to $34k. No HIDs or fancy wheels.

I don't know what I was expecting but of course GM is nowhere to be found in the all-important "truck useless for anything other than drag racing" market.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 12, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1403_2015_mercedes_benz_c_class_first_drive/

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/11/2015-mercedes-benz-c-class-review/

New C-class driving impressions are out and they are pretty promising. The interior looks very nice and the exterior design language works much better with RWD proportions than they do on the CLA. Air suspension too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I want to like the new Merc but the 3 Series reputation and general design language keeps me from preferring it. I think it really sucks how BMW basically owns that segment and everything will always look like a 3-Series pretender even when the new 3 Series isn't what it used to be.