Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
j00rBuDdY
Sep 11, 2001
Let me be your friend.

## Propose The Mongolian Enlightenment Act

The Mongols must be converted to the Orthodox Faith. I believe I speak for the entire Phanariote coalition with this proposal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Proposal: gently caress Genoa: The Empress will wage a trade war on Genoa to cease any Genoan trade posts in the Byzantine Empire and allow our Venetian vassal to regain its territory.

I would also like to voice my discontent with the loyal Fraternalist party being associated with traitors and heathens :colbert:

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Edit: ignore

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Does the mod you're using change culture conversion in any way? I like being the biggest dick in the Senate, but my argument came from a gameplay standpoint.

As far as I know, it still mostly works like vanilla. But there are some changes:

Project Balance posted:

Culture can spread via ports
Norman counties outside England are more likely to become English if their liege is English
Added a somewhat rare event that changes a ruler's culture to that of his capital if it is of his religion. Also changes the culture of any same dynasty children he has under the age of 16. Its mean time to happen is affected by his age, his rank, and whether or not the new culture is of the same culture group
Added a somewhat rare event that changes a child's (under 1 year old) culture to that of the province he's living in if the province is of his religion. Affected by his parents' rank, and whether or not the new culture is of the same culture group
Provincial culture spread takes 50% longer in empires
Provinces change culture 20% faster if they border two or more provinces of the owner's culture with rulers of the same culture
Provinces take 25% longer to change culture if they border any province of the same culture
Rulers change culture 25% faster if their capital borders no provinces of their culture
Patricians are half as likely to take on the culture of their capital
Provincial culture conversion happens twice as fast if the province doesn't neighbor any provinces of the same culture
Characters of North Germanic, Altaic, Arabic, and Iranian cultures dislike people of other cultures 40% less (E.G., foreigner penalty against different culture groups is 12 instead of 20)
Added melting pot events for Norse-Gael and Sicilian
The Norwegian provinces in Scotland and Ireland are Norse-Gael, as are all provinces in the duchy of The Isles
Added Somali and Nubian culture
Slowed down culture conversion by about 50%
Significantly slowed down culture spread in realms affected by the HRE Decentralization law (unless target is Baltic or Pommeranian) or a Decayed/Intact Theme System
Stewardship doesn't speed up culture spread quite as much. Now reduces time to spread by at most 50% rather than 68%

So basically as an empire our culture spread is way slowed down. This also means that the HRE is much less likely to accidentally eradicate the Dutch (well, in normal games, in ours the Norwegians rule Holland anyway).

Edit: Also, keep in mind that unlike in EU4 or wherever we can't really do much to affect cultural spread.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 12, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

JGBeagle posted:

The People

Nice to see the people are as unrepresented as usual. Looks like we put our faith in the wrong Empress. :colbert:

Your vote was formatted incorrectly! :argh:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

JGBeagle posted:

The People

Nice to see the people are as unrepresented as usual. Looks like we put our faith in the wrong Empress. :colbert:

Well, what were you expecting? I did tell you that the peasants don't matter in the larger picture of the empire.

Anyway, who's up for an alcohol tasting after the legislation gets passed? I know the Komnenians have some drinks they've been dying to get the rest of the senate drunk on.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

## Propose the University Construction Act

The Empire lacks the breadth and depth of knowledge it once had, and the wars with the Turk have left the treasury bare on many an occasion. We should fund the construction of a new university as soon as the monies needed to build it are available.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Pyroi posted:

Well, what were you expecting? I did tell you that the peasants don't matter in the larger picture of the empire.

Anyway, who's up for an alcohol tasting after the legislation gets passed? I know the Komnenians have some drinks they've been dying to get the rest of the senate drunk on.

Steppes and Republics

New Byzantines

I shall join you, I wish to celebrate being apart of a new party. And to exchange ideas to improve the Empire.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

j00rBuDdY posted:

The Mongols must be converted to the Orthodox Faith. I believe I speak for the entire Phanariote coalition with this proposal.

I will ##sponsor this bill. Orthodoxy is sadly underrepresented in the world at large.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Rincewind posted:

Your vote was formatted incorrectly! :argh:

Don't be too hard on them, most of them are illiterate.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I would like to extend to any and all minor parties the doors of the Komnenians. Within our bountiful bosom there is room for any and all parties, so long as they admit to the primacy of the Komeninan dynasty, regardless if they abhor alcohol (and would therefore favour hashish or some other things), love steppe nomads (I remind you of the Komnenian fervor for the Kievan cause) or if they simply wish to align with the truest of factions.

j00rBuDdY posted:

Well, no-one likes the Tongree anyhow, so I don't see how this is a bad idea.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

occipitallobe posted:

## Propose the University Construction Act

The Empire lacks the breadth and depth of knowledge it once had, and the wars with the Turk have left the treasury bare on many an occasion. We should fund the construction of a new university as soon as the monies needed to build it are available.

##sponsor

I fully support this endeavor and believe it is most within the spirit of our most sagacious of coalitions.

While I have no particular proposal that I wish to put forth, I fully support the motion of our newly united brother of the Steppes and Republics to transform the Black Sea into a Roman lake, and encourage all of the senate to pursue this goal, and sponsor it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Clayren posted:

Don't be too hard on them, most of them are illiterate.

The People

The sound of a crowd booing can be heard from the outside

They may be illiterate but they can hear, "senator". And bah to your voting system, none of these options presented so far seem to fit our interests. Now if you excuse me, I'll go and see if I can't make this crowd go do something actually productive.

Leaves the hall

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

JGBeagle posted:

Leaves the hall

Thunderous Applause

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Right then, if all this... clownery is done, I have an act that I think many of us can agree on.

## Propose the Italian Re-Conquista Act.

Now, as we all know, Italy is by all rights ours. However, ancient ties like those are unbecoming of a true new Byzantine. So instead I tell you this: They are a weak and petty group of states there and we may not have this opportunity again! So it is that I propose we wage a war to retake what we can from the catholics, though we probably should not march on Rome yet...

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

##sponsor the Italian Reconquista

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

We Loyalists shall, as we have always done, caucus with the New Byzantines.

A proposal or two may be forthcoming, after a good night's rest to contemplate the state of the Empire and our environs.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

NewMars posted:

Right then, if all this... clownery is done, I have an act that I think many of us can agree on.

Now, as we all know, Italy is by all rights ours. However, ancient ties like those are unbecoming of a true new Byzantine. So instead I tell you this: They are a weak and petty group of states there and we may not have this opportunity again! So it is that I propose we wage a war to retake what we can from the catholics, though we probably should not march on Rome yet...

##support

I, for one, cannot wait to once again bask in the light of the Italian sun, and be a farmer of cabbages, just as described by the great and wise Cato.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

##sponsor The University Construction Act
We've nearly destroyed the empire a dozen times with these foreign wars, we should spend some of that Venetian gold on our loyal Greek citizens.

j00rBuDdY posted:

This is madness , everyone knows that the Mongols are demons who eat human flesh and...yes, good idea, send a few New Byzantines to lead the mission.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

The Old Romans (OR)

The New Byzantines (NB)
--Steppes and Republics (SR)
--Loyalists (LY)

The Milvians (ML)

The Komnenians (KM)

The Discordians (DC)
--Unitas (UN)

BILLS:
New Byzantine:
The Nova Mediterranean Act (conquer Black Sea coast)
Backunknown (NB/SR)
--Lord Cyrahzax(DC/UN)

Italian Re-Conquista Act (Reconquer Italy! But, um, in a non-Old Roman way)
NewMars (NB)
--Lord Cyrahzax (DC/UN)
--Charlie Mopps (OR)

Phanariotes:
The Mongolian Enlightenment Act (Convert Mongols)
j00rBuDdY
--Pyroi

University Construction Act (Build a university)
occipitallobe
--Meinberg
--Ghetto Prince

gently caress Genoa Act (Trade war on Genoa)
--Rejected Fate

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 12, 2014

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Rejected Fate posted:

Proposal: gently caress Genoa: The Empress will wage a trade war on Genoa to cease any Genoan trade posts in the Byzantine Empire and allow our Venetian vassal to regain its territory.

I would also like to voice my discontent with the loyal Fraternalist party being associated with traitors and heathens :colbert:

You could always throw your lot in with one of the real parties. :smug:

Also, I'll go ahead and ##sponsor The University Construction Act, but I must ask why stop at just one? And why just a university? With an empire this rich we could build so many great things! like harbors, or distilleries! I can't propose anything, but if one of you New Byzantines wants to build some infrastructure I'll gladly get behind you.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 12, 2014

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

##sponsor the Italian Reconquista

These new Byzantines are effectively matching our platform!

Reconquest of the old Roman homelands is the only choice!

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I obviously can't sponsor the Reconquista act from my own party, but I can perhaps reiterate the relevant parts of my old speech, slightly louder for the ancient Senators who are hard of hearing.

(No, I don't know why my voice dropped half an octave for the second paragraph. I quite like it though. And a note to my future self: writing the speeches out physically makes me way less likely to stumble over accents and breathings which look ambiguous on screen, however much of a chore it is.)

quote:

ἀλλὰ νῦν παρακελεύσομαι ἐκείνους τρόπον τινα ὅν ἔνιοι οὐκ ἄν ἐπαινέσειαν, ὥσπερ τις μύωψ προσκείμενος ἵππῳ μεγάλῳ μὲν καὶ γενναίῳ, ὑπὸ μεγέθους δὲ νωθεστέρῳ καὶ δεομένῳ ἐγείρεσθαι. ἐδιισχυρίζαμην δὲ πρότερον δεῖν ἁρπάζειν τήν Ἰταλίαν ἐάν τὸ ἡμέτερον ἀυτᾶς κρατεῖν ἡμᾶς αὑτούς μεγάλους παράσχωμεν· καὶ ὀΐομαι ἡμᾶς τόν καιρόν νῦν ἔχειν.

ὅδε μέν οὔκ ἔστι τό του νόστου ὄναρ, ὅ οἱ τῶν Παλαιῶν Ῥωμαῖων κάκιστοι καθεύδοντες ἀκούοντες· ἡ δὲ στρατηγία ἔστι ὕπαρ τῶν παρόντων. ὅδε γὰρ ἔστι τὸ του συνόδου τέλος, Ὠ Νέοι Βυζαντινοι, ὅδ᾽ ἔστι αἴτιος του ἔχειν πλείστους εὔνους ὑμῖν. βουλόμενοι μέν οἷοι τ᾽ ἐσμεν κατέχειν τούς Τύρκους· οἷοι τ᾽ ἐσμεν βραδέως περικόπτειν. ἡ δ᾽ Ἰταλία νέμητερη ἀσθενεστέρη τ᾽ ἔστιν. του οὖν τῆς ἀρχῆς κράτεος αὔξοντος καὶ τῆς πλησιαίτερας τῇ Ἰταλίᾳ ἤ πολλ᾽ ἔτεα χώρας· οὐ νικᾶν δυνήσονται. κτησόμεθ᾽ ἄρα πολύν πλοῦτον, πολλήν γῆν, πολλούς στρατιώτας, ἐάν νῦν πρός ἑσπέραν ἴωμεν.

But I shall address that party now in a way that some of them perhaps may not praise, as if I were a gadfly attaching himself to a great and noble horse - yet one who therefore needs me to sting him into action because his size turns him too slow and idle. I said before that we should seize at Italy if it made us strong. I believe we have that moment now before us.

This is not the nostalgic dream of our return which the worst of the Old Romans hear while they sleep - it is a strategy based in the realities of our current position. That is the purpose of your party, O New Byzantines, that is the reason why you rightfully have the greatest number of supporters. We can hold off the Turks if we desire; we can chip away at them piece by piece. But Italy is far more divided and far weaker. The might of our empire is on the rise and our land extends closer to Italy now than it has for a long time: they shall not be able to defeat us. We can gain great wealth, great territory, and great numbers of men if we now turn toward the Evening.

I will however

## Sponsor The Mongolian Enlightenment Act

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I thank the Empress for her continuous trust in our leadership, and shall use the opportunity to propose the following new legislation:

##Propose the MArriage Ties To Expand Relations Act
The Senate shall ask the Empress to use non-inheriting members of the Imperial dynasty to forge marriage alliances with strong neighbours, such as Novgorod, Sicily or Hungary. Whenever possible she should also aim to place them in a position for the inheritance of that throne.

I am sure that all of my fellow senators will see the wisdom in this policy, and if they do not, may I point to the assistance rendered to us by the Germans during the reign of Alexios, or the support given to us by our Komnenian brothers in the Knights of Calatrava during the last wars against the Turkish Empire.
I am also sure that the Komnenians will support this rightful cause with all their energy, as what is better than a Komnenos on a throne? Two Komnenoi on two thrones!

I will also voice my support of the Mongolian Enlightenment Act:

##Sponsor The Mongolian Enlightenment Act

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

As much as I would like to reap the rewards of fully supporting relevant cross-party initiatives with a proposal, another of those holding aloft the lantern of sacred wisdom has an idea which is wholly in keeping with both the Phanariote and Milvian philosophies.

I throw my support behind the spread of Orthodoxy, and hereby:

##Sponsor the Mongolian Enlightenment Act

The onslaught of these heathens has proven a boon and a blessing to us in our efforts against the Mohammedans to our east. Let us, in the spirit of Christian brotherhood, show them the true faith, that they may be able to set aside their primitive ways and turn to worship the Almighty. Do we want them to siege the Theodosian walls, or to enter the Hagia Sophia as allies and faithful penitents?

Of the New Byzantine proposals, I am entirely in favour of the Old Roman and Milvian legislature they have adopted. Long have I agitated for ousting the heretic who besmirches the throne of Saint Peter, reclaiming that holy see for the Pentarchy. Restoring the true Christian orthodoxy to lands that have suffered under paganism, arianism and papism one after the other is a sacred duty. Thus, I:

##Sponsor the Italian Re-Conquista Act

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Join the Kommenians

The Roman Empire is a familiar kleptocracy and I would have it no other way!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

##Propose the Real Patriots Act
The Jews have been such awesome bros, man. Like, always helping us pull our poo poo together. Total backbones of the Empire and real patriots. So, like, I know... what if we like... become the Jews?

Also more universities...

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

##sponsor gently caress Genoa

Before we do anything we need money, we even begin to think about taking Italy, building universities, enlightening mongols, we need sweet sweet gold.
And the only way to get it is if we monopolize trade in the entirety of Europe! Genoa is within striking distance of Venice, it is ripe for the taking! Do not led boundless wealth slip through your fingers senators!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

##Sponsor the the Italian Re-Conquista Act
The Italian peninsula is rich, and a vital part of the Roman Empire. Bringing it back to the fold is of great importance, and a necessity for us to stop being merely an eastern power.
We can learn the most from the Mongols if we're on good terms with them. For this a shared faith can be a corner stone, though I must say I'm a bit wary that some of their religious traditions may be lost in the process.

##Propose the Imperial Wisdom Act
All children henceforth born in the purple must receive an ecclesiastical education, one that shall produce emperors that govern not with might and fear but with wisdom and piety.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Sandman posted:

We Loyalists shall, as we have always done, caucus with the New Byzantines.

A proposal or two may be forthcoming, after a good night's rest to contemplate the state of the Empire and our environs.

I-wha? It seems I'm no loner eligible to sponsor bills. Why does nobody tell me these things? Or at least give me a pamphlet to read when I've slept through the empress' update on procedure due to shall we say...vigorous partying the night before. Oh well, I guess that means more time for napping.

JGBeagle posted:

The People

The sound of a crowd booing can be heard from the outside

They may be illiterate but they can hear, "senator". And bah to your voting system, none of these options presented so far seem to fit our interests. Now if you excuse me, I'll go and see if I can't make this crowd go do something actually productive.

Leaves the hall

Going back to the fields might be a good start. Besides, I'm not sure why you put your faith in an empress you claimed to regard as a puppet of the 'corrupt' senate you despise so much.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 12, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

I-wha? It seems I'm no loner eligible to sponsor bills. Why does nobody tell me these things? Or at least give me a pamphlet to read when I've slept through the empress' update on procedure due to shall we say...vigorous partying the night before. Oh well, I guess that means more time for napping.

Going back to the fields might be a good start. Besides, I'm not sure why you put your faith in an empress you claimed to regard as a puppet of the 'corrupt' senate you despise so much.

New Byzantines can still sponsor Phanariotes acts since those votes are non-partisan.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

##Sponsor the the Italian Re-Conquista Act

We Old Romans might not be so numerous as we used to be, but it seems at the very least the New Byzantines have gained some sense.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

##Sponsor the Italian Reconquista Act

Finally, the New Byzantines are speaking wisdom.

##Sponsor the gently caress Genoa Act

Since we'll be in that area anyway, why not ensure our trade goes to our merchants?

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

I'd like to remind all old romans to support the gently caress Genoa act, not only in reconquest of Italy and pushing those drat dirty Gauls out, but also to re-stablish Rome as the true trading power in the Mediterranean.
Never forget that it is us who brought down Carthage and the Phoenicians, and not supporting the act would be un-Roman.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rincewind posted:

New Byzantines can still sponsor Phanariotes acts since those votes are non-partisan.

I see.

In that case:

We can always build universities later. The chance to convert the Khans before the Catholics or worse the Muslims do is a limited time offer.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Fraternalists

New Byzantines

Ah, I forgot to put my affiliation in my proposal. I believe the Fraternalists should now be a sub-party of the New Byzantines, especially as the similar party of Steppes and Republics is with them too, although I do not know if my fellow Fraternalist agrees with me.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

NewMars posted:

##Sponsor the Italian Reconquista Act

Were Old Romans permitted to propose bills I would propose a bill asking just what the New Byzantine party platform is - given that all of their proposals thus far seem to be either reconquest of Old Roman territories, as a good Old Roman might propose, or conversion of the heretic, as a Milvian might propose. While I am of course pleased to see these policies that are near and dear to my heart being moved forward... just what do the New Byzantines actually stand for besides 'we have the emblem that doesn't have a red background'?

Look into your hearts, New Byzantines, and you will see the truth - that you are, in your heart of hearts, with us. Join the Old Romans and let us bring the glory of Rome back to this benighted world! Or, hell, join the Milvians and push to end the Schism!

Only, don't do it now, that would be confusing. Do it at the next legislative session.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Don't think I need to say anything, I've always been in favor of this idea. And, as a New Byzantine...

##Propose the Imperial Communal Expansion Act

As I feel somewhat attached to our newly declared brothers in the Steppes And Republics and Fraternalist parties, I would like to propose an act to throw them a bone:

Extraneous funds in times of peace shall be used to build new cities in the Imperial heartland.

For it is cities that are the foundation of a republic, and expanding in this manner will allow us to expand our profit margin in such a way that it can easily be worked into the Imperial administration.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

I have been in favour of this and I will continue to be in favour of this. Enlighten the Mongols! Send expeditions into and beyond their lands so that we may find out more of ancient empires beyond!

I'll also
## Sponsor the University Construction Act

For without proper education facilities, our Empire will devolve into rabble and heresy much like ancient Rome did, I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

##Propose the Croatian Removal Act

For a long time the Croatian blight has made our borders look ugly. Senators, I propose we through diplomacy or warfare take this land as to establish a defensible border on the Danube. This land will also help us support Venice and any invasions of Western Europe.

I'll also
## Sponsor the University Construction Act

A smarter populace will no doubt see the majesty and virtuousness of the Empress!

• Locked thread