Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

yall are in good company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Ahhh. There's just nothing like dropping the needle and lettin all of the world's troubles just fade away. When I listen to some of the early Floyd records, things just make sense. It's the warmth, you know? The low ends. Its just as if music was made to be listened to to on the wax. On those nights when it feels like the worlds just been beatin down on your back (you know the ones) there's nothing better than letting the wax take you. I don't know what else to call it but a life choice, listening to music vinyl. Ha! I don't even need acid to enjoy Pink Floyd anymore, not with my turn table.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

Ahhh. There's just nothing like dropping the needle and lettin all of the world's troubles just fade away. When I listen to some of the early Floyd records, things just make sense. It's the warmth, you know? The low ends. Its just as if music was made to be listened to to on the wax. On those nights when it feels like the worlds just been beatin down on your back (you know the ones) there's nothing better than letting the wax take you. I don't know what else to call it but a life choice, listening to music vinyl. Ha! I don't even need acid to enjoy Pink Floyd anymore, not with my turn table.

yeah this but with tonetta

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Now I want to see Jr's listening room. That looks like a gnarly setup.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
It's an ion usb table w/ a stock p-mount cart. It's a piece of poo poo.

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

strap on revenge posted:

Does anyone have Amarok by Mike Oldfield on vinyl? I kind of want it but I can't imagine it sounding very good with 30 mins on each side. pls advise

It sounds fine, maybe a bit thin. It's been a while since I've listened to it but I don't remember any distortion to the sound or anything, it's not the loudest album so that's probably why.
I also got Songs of Distant Earth on vinyl which I got really cheap, I only recently realized it's very collectible since it was released only in Germany/Europe, one pressing, 1000 copies.
Both albums are definitely mastered for CD but it's nice having Oldfield-vinyl not everyone have.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JehovahsWetness posted:

It's an ion usb table w/ a stock p-mount cart. It's a piece of poo poo.

I like his record store display case on the left

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

stay depressed posted:

yall are in good company

Despite having some of the shittiest fans imaginable, Dale Jr actually seems like a pretty cool guy no matter how much I try to not like him.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Rama Lama Magnus posted:

It sounds fine, maybe a bit thin. It's been a while since I've listened to it but I don't remember any distortion to the sound or anything, it's not the loudest album so that's probably why.
I also got Songs of Distant Earth on vinyl which I got really cheap, I only recently realized it's very collectible since it was released only in Germany/Europe, one pressing, 1000 copies.
Both albums are definitely mastered for CD but it's nice having Oldfield-vinyl not everyone have.

Yeah, I had that 2012 Olympics single but I couldn't resist selling it. Thanks for the info re: Amarok.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Here's something for the soundtrack hounds

http://m.exclaim.ca/News/gravity_score_to_see_vinyl_release_via_mondo

Edit: Presale is thurs mar 13

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

iluvpr0n posted:

I didn't order that through them, but I did order two in-stock records (which arrived quickly and perfectly) + a pre-order not due until May (didn't realize it was so far off). Has anyone who preordered anything got theirs, or should I try to cancel and just get from a regular source?

I paid through PayPal, so I just filed an "Item Never Received" dispute. Took a few days, but I did end up getting a full refund. I wasn't even pissed about the money, just missing out on a cheap pre-order. It's painfully obvious that this shithead third party seller didn't anticipate all the traffic and packed up his toys and went home when he realized he would lose money.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I paid through PayPal, so I just filed an "Item Never Received" dispute. Took a few days, but I did end up getting a full refund. I wasn't even pissed about the money, just missing out on a cheap pre-order. It's painfully obvious that this shithead third party seller didn't anticipate all the traffic and packed up his toys and went home when he realized he would lose money.

I'm also guessing that they didn't have nearly enough copies of that album to cover the demand.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Bliggers- posted:

Here's something for the soundtrack hounds

http://m.exclaim.ca/News/gravity_score_to_see_vinyl_release_via_mondo

Edit: Presale is thurs mar 13

I'm super interested in this. What time do Mondo pre-orders usually go up? Does their site usually poo poo the bed?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
gently caress pre ordering anything from those jerks, just get it at your local when it comes out. You'll probably get it there before they can be bothered to ship it to preorder customers.

Also where my Jurassic Park at Mondo?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

alg posted:

I'm super interested in this. What time do Mondo pre-orders usually go up? Does their site usually poo poo the bed?

Just went on sale. Got one, though processing was slow as gently caress.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Pre-orders are up for Jeff Rosenstock's "I Look Like poo poo". I think I'll get the troublesome morning edition. Really Records does good work, his "Summer" 7" is what started me collecting records.

You can download it for free here. "Twinkle" is an amazing song.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 13, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

alg posted:

Just went on sale. Got one, though processing was slow as gently caress.

Do you have a link for that?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Do you have a link for that?

http://www.mondotees.com/Gravity-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack-PRE-ORDER_p_1392.html

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I misunderstood and thought they put up Jurassic Park. But thanks anyhow.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I ordered the Gravity LP as well. I get the dislike for Mondo, but I've had reasonable service from them. Maybe my bar is set pretty low though since everything ships slow as all get out to Canada.

They did send me a replacement LP for the Raid soundtrack when the one I had was poppy.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
So I finally had the time to buy a bunch of inner sleeves for my records. I am wondering, if it is best to put the inner sleeve inside the cardboard as normal or if it helps to leave it outside the cardboard but still within the protection of the outer sleeve. Thoughts?

Edit: Also, while I'm thinking about it, would the same method apply for albums with 2LP's and/or gatefold?

Pookdaddy G fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 14, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Pookdaddy G posted:

So I finally had the time to buy a bunch of inner sleeves for my records. I am wondering, if it is best to put the inner sleeve inside the cardboard as normal or if it helps to leave it outside the cardboard but still within the protection of the outer sleeve. Thoughts?

You should rent a storage shed at least one state over.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

You should rent a storage shed at least one state over.

One step ahead of you, it's an underground bunker.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Pookdaddy G posted:

One step ahead of you, it's an underground bunker.

Pfffft. Look at this loving hipster.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
It's a pity the artwork for the Gravity LP is poo poo. It's like one of the prettiest movies I've watched recently but apparently none of the frames from the movie are good enough and they had to make it a cartoon drawing :downs:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah, that's Mondo for you. Their primary business is selling posters like that.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Pookdaddy G posted:

Edit: Also, while I'm thinking about it, would the same method apply for albums with 2LP's and/or gatefold?

I put the record outside the jacket, but inside the sleeve :spergin:

edit:
I also orient the opening of the outer sleeve up and insert the inner sleeve with the opening to one side so dust doesn't get on the record. I am a turbonerd.

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 14, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The 808s repress finally hit Amazon. March 18. $40.21. Still buyin.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Oh sure, I break down and buy Mothership and this happens: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/led-zeppelin-to-reissue-first-3-lps-with-unreleased-songs-20140313

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Eh, Mothership is still great.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

bowmore posted:

Eh, Mothership is still great.

True. What I really want is How The West Was Won on LP, anyway.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

eggsovereasy posted:

I put the record outside the jacket, but inside the sleeve :spergin:

edit:
I also orient the opening of the outer sleeve up and insert the inner sleeve with the opening to one side so dust doesn't get on the record. I am a turbonerd.

The Only Correct Way to store records is in a paper sleeve, outside the jacket, but inside the polybag. also correct to have the polybag opening up, but i face my paper sleeve up as well. keeps the jackets from getting ringwear, and incredibly easy to just pull out and play without messing with the bag.

the only question here is inserts/printed inners: outside the jacket or no?

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

kirkjames posted:

The Only Correct Way to store records is in a paper sleeve, outside the jacket, but inside the polybag. also correct to have the polybag opening up, but i face my paper sleeve up as well. keeps the jackets from getting ringwear, and incredibly easy to just pull out and play without messing with the bag.

I think ringwear (and splitseams) is a bigger issue with US-pressings, particulary from the 60/70's. Of all the albums I have the European albums suffer a lot less from ringwear than the US ones since the manufacture processes are different.
On European covers the artwork is printed directly on the cardboard whereas on the US covers the artwork is printed on paper which is then glued on the cardboard, and in some cases even around the edges, being the only thing holding the jacket together and of course over time thin paper is no match against the sharp edges of a record.

I would think that a polybag is the best way to avoid ringwear so I see no real reason to keep your records outside the cover. With gatefold jackets I can even imagine the spine being flattened.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If you're sleeving these so that the records are exposed to dust, you're doing it wrong.

Also, paper sleeves are poo poo. Don't use them.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

kirkjames posted:

Epic trolling. The misuse of capital letters is masterful.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: Actually never mind.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Preorders for the new Mac DeMarco are live on Captured Tracks for those of y'all who might be inclined to pick one up; the LE is a box set packed with other stuff. Along with the new LP, I picked one up as a present to myself for doing a ton of awesome work last quarter/not eating a gun I also signed up for the 7" club; v. curious to see what it'll include. I'd already preordered the LEs for both of their recent releases ("sadly" I only got the white version of the Perfect Pussy box set rather than the one w/ menstrual blood mixed in), so they're getting an alarming amount of my money lately.

I will subscribe to Light In The Attic every time until the universe reaches heat death as long as they keep releasing stuff like this and this.

Finally, 4/8 is shaping up to be a crazy rear end release day - not only is that the release date for the Avey Tare and Todd Terje albums, but Danny Brown's last album finally comes out on vinyl to boot.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Speaking of classic rock live albums that need a vinyl release, why do we not have the full version of Live at Leeds on vinyl? That's quite possibly the best live album ever and we only have it on CD.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

I just store them they way they were originally packaged (with the pictures and free digital downloads). They are currently living behind one of my speakers on the floor :yolo:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

CPL593H posted:

Speaking of classic rock live albums that need a vinyl release, why do we not have the full version of Live at Leeds on vinyl? That's quite possibly the best live album ever and we only have it on CD.

shots fired.