Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I imagine Azrious paperwork for Unauthorized Statues is way easier than the paperwork for murder, he's probably just trying to get out of that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

jassi007 posted:

My favorite part the article today.

How can he be a blue mage? He's retarded!

He planeswalked to Earth 2 and met the Flash.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

jassi007 posted:

My favorite part the article today.

How can he be a blue mage? He's retarded!

Glad I wasn't the only one that saw that and did a "huh" double take.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I mean in a world where magic is incredibly abundant and powerful, dying from petrification or rapidly producing stone statues are equally likely. :colbert:

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Jace the Head Scratcher

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
To be fair, he is a sculptor himself.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

rabidsquid posted:

The original Cuneo Codex Shredder deck could kill you with Haunted Plate Mail, and I think it had some Aetherlings. Anyone who made a shittier version was missing the point, I think.

No, he just has a different point.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Am I really the only one who figured out that was just a badly made joke on his part?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Jenx posted:

Am I really the only one who figured out that was just a badly made joke on his part?

Jace is simply making the Zebra argument.

When you hear hooves the logical thought is horse...not zebra.

Someone needs to be thinking outside the box! He is simply expanding their minds...

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

For comparison, a good mid-to-senior lead type engineer could make around 300k/yr all-in at amzn/google/valve etc in Seattle. I can't imagine they offer close to that. You do get $100 month credit towards msrp (actual msrp aka $143/box) sealed product though. Now that's a perk!

vvv Well you can save up. They might get an employee discount too. When I was there for a tour everything available to me was msrp at least.

Yeah, I can't imagine why they'd actually want to develop MTGO in a city with less than a million people and the competition of giants like Amazon and Microsoft. I just can't see Hasbro authorizing a competitive salary.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

AnacondaHL posted:

You have 0 PTQs near you, starting this week, for the next 3 months?

Yup. I live in WV. My LGS' don't get PTQs and I'm not going to drive 3+ hours just to play Magic.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Now this is a deck I would like to play at an FNM:

http://www.limitedmagic.com/fun-police-standard-brew/

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Promoted Pawn posted:

Yup. I live in WV. My LGS' don't get PTQs and I'm not going to drive 3+ hours just to play Magic.

Sup WV buddy, Rival Comics in Charleston just had a PTQ just this year in January and 4Horsemen Comics has been awarded another by Wizards for later this year which plans so far are to hold the PTQ in Morgantown.

(We used to play a lot of Call of Duty years ago, can't believe you never told me you lived in WV)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Smashing Link posted:

Eh, it looks fun, but does it really need a whole 3 codex shredders? I think you could go down to 1, that way you can make way for some main deck divination's or nullify. I mean, why do you need a whole 4 grindy win conditions, when you can run 1 elixir of immortality and a 1 codex shredder, it might take you a bit longer to start grinding, but, isn't that half the fun?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Goddammit Jace is just the smuggest dick.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Madmarker posted:

Eh, it looks fun, but does it really need a whole 3 codex shredders? I think you could go down to 1, that way you can make way for some main deck divination's or nullify. I mean, why do you need a whole 4 grindy win conditions, when you can run 1 elixir of immortality and a 1 codex shredder, it might take you a bit longer to start grinding, but, isn't that half the fun?

But it's not just a (terrible) win condition. It's also extra "card draw" and "tutor" so you can keep chaining revs.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Jenx posted:

Yeah, I don't really see how it could be interpreted any other way. Besides, I think "bad at jokes but still tries to make them" is a good character trait for Jace.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Jace is a smug dick, but ya' know, I like Lavinia. She seems like the Jack McCoy of Ravnica.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The creative team badly need to not write that kind of stuff and just hire someone if they want to have little stories now and again. They create some cool stuff for the game, Theros and Innistrad were flavor slam-dunks, everything on the cards and promotional materials was evocative and eye catching.

That said the fan-fiction they put out sometimes is embarrassingly bad, I mean I read some pulpy lovely Warhammer 40K "novels" and the stuff related to Magic makes them seem like Ulysses.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

legoman727 posted:

Jace is a smug dick, but ya' know, I like Lavinia. She seems like the Jack McCoy of Ravnica.

I like her, since she doesn't seem to feel the need to worship Jace as some absolute pinnacle of awesomeness, and treats him for what he is - a nerd who somehow managed to stumble into power. To be honest, the way she treats him makes me hate Jace himself a lot less.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

LMAO! I can see myself getting asked not to return if I were to play this deck...people are already getting kind of upset with Murdergoats making an appearance.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Stinky Pit posted:

Sup WV buddy, Rival Comics in Charleston just had a PTQ just this year in January and 4Horsemen Comics has been awarded another by Wizards for later this year which plans so far are to hold the PTQ in Morgantown.

(We used to play a lot of Call of Duty years ago, can't believe you never told me you lived in WV)

Sup CoDBro. Yeah, I know about those but I'm ~150 minutes away from Morgantown.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Promoted Pawn posted:

I wouldn't recommend 2+ hour drives for 1 day events like PTQs.

That said, there's a PTQ in Morgantown, WV on May 11, and if you're further south, one at SCG in Roanoke, VA on June 1. The opportunities are out there.

edit: beaten I guess

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
OssiansFolly you totally need to mix it up every week between Murdergoats and Fun Police. :D

Samael posted:

So I have been thinking of making a w/x aura deck in standard using sphere of safety and other fun stuff and I have been thinking of either splashing red and going aggro or splashing blue and going more control. Which do you think is more useful in this current meta?
Do you mean a control deck that shuts down decks that win via creatures or some kind of midrangy-Ephara deck that has synergy with sphere of safety to come at things from a new angle?

Madmarker posted:

The guy that took it to 4-0 said he wanted at least 2 codex shredders. The third is just there for that little bit of consistency to get it online sooner.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I mean If you're closer to the other Virginia, PTQ's shouldn't be too hard to get to in MD and VA proper, the pan-handle can get to PA PTQ's pretty easily, I guess if you're just stuck in the middle of the state like Elkins or something it can be pretty lovely.

Still, most people have to travel to get to PTQ's unless they live in very large cities, so we're not as hosed as people in other states like Wyoming or Idaho.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Stinky Pit posted:

The creative team badly need to not write that kind of stuff and just hire someone if they want to have little stories now and again. They create some cool stuff for the game, Theros and Innistrad were flavor slam-dunks, everything on the cards and promotional materials was evocative and eye catching.

That said the fan-fiction they put out sometimes is embarrassingly bad, I mean I read some pulpy lovely Warhammer 40K "novels" and the stuff related to Magic makes them seem like Ulysses.
Dense and nearly unreadable? :haw:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Hahaha I have actually never finished that loving book.

But seriously that fluff writing stuff is the only part of their enterprise that hasn't improved by leaps and bounds compared to years past and still reads hilariously amateurish. They aren't a small company anymore, certainly not a small brand, and almost all of their media reflects that positively. That they still allow some random in the office to write and post terrible official fluff because he took creative writing at the community college or whatever seems less than ideal these days.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

AnacondaHL posted:

I wouldn't recommend 2+ hour drives for 1 day events like PTQs.

Thinking about it the farthest I've driven for a ptq is a bit over 6 hours. Just wanted to make all the in state ones.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Korak posted:

OssiansFolly you totally need to mix it up every week between Murdergoats and Fun Police. :D

Well I was thinking I needed to show up with a mixture of Murdergoats and that Phenax Wall O Mill deck a few guys here have posted up. I may have enough cards to actually straight up build this Fun Police deck though...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The only MTG book I ever read was Arena back in the day and even at age 11 I knew it was pretty bad.

They finally stopped with the novels a couple years ago right?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

The only MTG book I ever read was Arena back in the day and even at age 11 I knew it was pretty bad.

You shut your filthy mouth. Garth One-Eye is a hero. A HERO! (seriously make him a planeswalker he's better than Jace)

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Incidentally, seems there's no card with a quote from either Ulysses or Joyce in general. The closest is Rust with a quote from Tennyson's "Ulysses".

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Entropic posted:

I think they switched to putting out one book per block and releasing a bunch of really godawful planeswalker focused novels which probably have stopped.

I have a soft spot for the shlocky flavor, but that pretty much died out when they shifted focus to the new planeswalkers. God, I'd probably have bought most of the style guides if they published them like they did with Alara.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Stinky Pit posted:

Today's story is written by Doug Beyer, who also wrote the terrible RTR ebook "The Secretist". Other writers for Uncharted Realms are much better, this guy is just a hack.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Stinky Pit posted:

Hahaha I have actually never finished that loving book.

But seriously that fluff writing stuff is the only part of their enterprise that hasn't improved by leaps and bounds compared to years past and still reads hilariously amateurish. They aren't a small company anymore, certainly not a small brand, and almost all of their media reflects that positively. That they still allow some random in the office to write and post terrible official fluff because he took creative writing at the community college or whatever seems less than ideal these days.

You realize that the person who wrote uncharted realms this week was Doug Beyer, head of creative and previous Magic novel author? He also wrote the Secretist in his free time, which I think was just because he wanted to bring Magic novels back in some way so he did it himself just for a proof-of-concept. Besides, I liked this week's uncharted realms. It could have used an editor to tighten up some sentence structure, sure, but it wasn't bad on the whole.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Korak posted:

Do you mean a control deck that shuts down decks that win via creatures or some kind of midrangy-Ephara deck that has synergy with sphere of safety to come at things from a new angle?

Well, yeah a enchantment based control deck with ephara/elspeth, d spheres and the win condition being something like a huge fiendslayer paladin with ethereal armor slapped on it, though it is really in a experimental phase at the moment. I want to use these eidolon of countless battles and hero of iroas, plus they work well with ephara and elspeth. I like sphere of safety as a way of negating g/r monsters and aggro decks, as well as all the removal. I have all these ideas jumbled up in my mind and I am having trouble making it into one cohesive deck.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
As one of the dumb fuckers who's bothered to read some of the Magic books while an adult, eh. Agents of Artifice, the first of the 'really godawful planeswalker' novels wasn't a masterpiece even of genre literature but was genuinely readable and entertaining. The worst issue was probably the author trying to be feminist and tapping into what men thought feminist sympathisers should be like thirty years ago. The book makes me sympathetic to that thing Beyer said about people who hate Jace not having the fuller picture. Marketing pushed him too hard and that got people sick of him but there's a character with some potential under it when you go looking.

Even the Secretist trilogy had its ups. Everyone knows about Jace becoming the Guildpact, but there also this hilarious old viashino who pops up just to give Jace poo poo a couple of times. They're pushing him because it's good for their brand and all the snotnosed nerds like the guy who can control things with his MIND, but they're not throwing everything aside to make him a god who can't do anything wrong.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Only bad players run with mill and walls! (I am a horrible player)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nissir posted:

Only bad players run with mill and walls! (I am a horrible player)

Yes but it takes a particularly Quixotic player to Tilt at (wind)mills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

So as much as I like my Zendikar full arts, I really don't look at my lands in play that often and I also like sweet, sweet cash. Any suggestions on how best to sell them off? Sets of 1 of each land seem to be doing decent on eBay.

• Locked thread