Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Peenigrippe posted:

I'm tempted to watch through this whole gashdarned thing again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO-T1QNxPW0

This is pretty good i skipped most of the bullshit and went straight to part 4.

E: gets dull again shortly in. Sped through romance got good agian then weird sci fi ending.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

demonR6 posted:

I've already posted on the websites of the major carriers that they should start looking into this so there is coverage.. everywhere.

It's kind of funny that cell phones have become so ubiquitous in our daily lives that people forget there are places with no coverage.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
How can you still not find the plane ahahah oh wow, open your loving eyes you gooks

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zoom. Enhance.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Angela Christine posted:

It's kind of funny that cell phones have become so ubiquitous in our daily lives that people forget there are places with no coverage.

"But I call his phone and it rings?!"

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

demonR6 posted:

"But I call his phone and it rings?!"

You have perfected a means to communicate with the dead. Too bad they ghost all your calls.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Elliptical Dick posted:

While you are right about all these things (not sure about the horizon though, think the gyros in it would need some juice) it's easy to become disoriented very quickly within seconds of losing all the flight instruments you have grown to rely on in those 15k hours. In fact, I would go so far as to say that full instrument information being always available would be severly detrimental to your capability to remain situationally aware in the case of complete information deprivation.

My brother linked me to this article about the final findings regarding Air France 447 and it was really really depressing to read the pilots essentially lose their heads because they're flying at night and without instruments.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Wow people are going nuts over this like its a safe thread.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Angela Christine posted:

I think it's less about cell phones being ubiquitous and more about people not understanding the basis of most technologies. I still meet people that think there is a monthly subscription to get a GPS signal on a device.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

plane still missing

lol

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
What if it didn't crash at all? Maybe they flew too high and are now orbiting the earth, out of fuel and just drifting along.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Daimo posted:

Are you saying there is a smaller missing plane inside?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

nickutz posted:

What if it didn't crash at all? Maybe they flew too high and are now orbiting the earth, out of fuel and just drifting along.

I hope that airline believes in overstocking peanuts..

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Daimo posted:

Divers open a cargo box in the undersea wreckage, find the deed to Dracula's castle

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

gradenko_2000 posted:

My brother linked me to this article about the final findings regarding Air France 447 and it was really really depressing to read the pilots essentially lose their heads because they're flying at night and without instruments.

And once again, none of the pilots called out a "Mayday". Something like this is probably very similar to what happened this time.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Anonymous Zebra posted:

And once again, none of the pilots called out a "Mayday". Something like this is probably very similar to what happened this time.

They were far too busy flying the plane into the ocean to call a Mayday.

Edit: And who would they have called to? Weren't they outside radio range?

Doubleedit: Nope, still would have been able to reach ATC by radio.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 12, 2014

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

nickutz posted:

I heard some guy on a conspiracy nut terrestrial radio show last night suggesting that they were conducting some Philadelphia Experiment test with HAARP, and created an "EM vortex" that sucked the plane into space.

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014

Anonymous Zebra posted:

And yet the Atlantic Ocean is much much deeper and bigger (can't remember but the black box and most of the debris, along with many bodies were found deep down, like around 4000 meters, which is roughly 12,000 feet). Sure, it took them two years to find the most important evidences but the wreckage was in the middle of nowhere deep down, in a very big ocean and it "only" took them two or three days to find some floating pieces and bodies.
The whole sea surrounding the Malaysian peninsula is very shallow.
Either the South Asian military sucks or the plane just went far away from the area. Or both.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Knight Corgi posted:

And yet the Atlantic Ocean is much much deeper and bigger (can't remember but the black box and most of the debris, along with many bodies were found deep down, like around 4000 meters, which is roughly 12,000 feet). Sure, it took them two years to find the most important evidences but the wreckage was in the middle of nowhere deep down, in a very big ocean and it "only" took them two or three days to find some floating pieces and bodies.
The whole sea surrounding the Malaysian peninsula is very shallow.
Either the South Asian military sucks or the plane just went far away from the area. Or both.

"South Asia" is a region on the other side of the Indian Ocean.

Based on latest reports, it seems the Vietnamese have realised that Malaysian authorities do not have their poo poo together and so have re-commenced their search. Malaysians and residents of Malaysia will not be particularly surprised.

Hope this doesn't damage MAS too badly. Back when I travelled more regularly in the region, I flew them frequently and always got good service. They're no Garuda.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Serious post: Is it possible that something catastrophic occurred with the electrical systems causing the pilots to lose their flight instruments/transponder/radio, but the plane was still able to stay in the air for a time

It's kinda close to not possible at all without the plane totally coming apart in many pieces. The 777 has ten electrical generators for redundancy, and if the they all fail there are battery back ups that take over. You could rip the plane in half, and both chunks would quite possibly still have power to all the vital poo poo until it hit the ground.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Saga posted:

Hope this doesn't damage MAS too badly. Back when I travelled more regularly in the region, I flew them frequently and always got good service. They're no Garuda.

"Good service" isn't really relevant at all for flight safety. I bet those aussie girls also got "good service" when the same MAS pilots invited them for some fun in the cockpit during flight.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

They couldn't have done a worse piloting job if they were intentionally trying to crash the drat thing. A five-year old with half an hour of experience playing FSX would have saved that plane.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The level of ridiculous speculation in this thread is amazing. Its almost better than the True Detective thread.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3613058

Was posted just a few days before this plane went missing. :corrupt:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

No. 6 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3613058

Was posted just a few days before this plane went missing. :corrupt:

it's airbus

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

nickutz posted:

if they were up in space they could just call home on their cell phones, duh :rolleyes:

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Pretty sure Stephen King already wrote a book about this plane.

If you don't like reading you can watch this 90s poorly acted miniseries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPqML9D4n1g

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Bolivar posted:

"Good service" isn't really relevant at all for flight safety. I bet those aussie girls also got "good service" when the same MAS pilots invited them for some fun in the cockpit during flight.

They have never had a bad safety record/reputation to my knowledge, and they treat the freight well. Hence "not Garuda".

But then I'm not in the airline business, so who knows maybe there are lots of skeletons in their closet that an air mech could fill us in on.

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

Mystery solved. A Malaysian witch doctor believes that the plane is either still in the air or has crashed into the sea.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1447159/chinese-ridicule-malaysias-recruitment-witch-doctor-track-missing-plane

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Velvet Elvis posted:

Mystery solved. A Malaysian witch doctor believes that the plane is either still in the air or has crashed into the sea.

Schrödinger's Triple7

Baby the Birdman
Jul 14, 2005

Every real nigga fuck they main girl in the ass.
This article has some pretty good explanations on what may have happened

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

The vanishing of aircraft over the ocean is not without precedent, either. According to historical records, the so-called “Bermuda Triangle” causes

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

yo did they find this plane yet

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

I like the comments

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doeD1pu8XT4

Matchstick
Jul 10, 2004

Haha. Jesus gently caress.

Gawker says a Kiwi oil-rig worker saw it go down in flames.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

2014 and you can literally lose a plane, mega lolz

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Good ol Kiwis.

I still think the pilots were gettin bjay jays.

myshl0ng posted:

2014 and you can literally lose a plane, mega lolz

And he still can literally lose his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Alex Jones has such a nasty-rear end voice. It's like the man smokes entire packs at a time.

• Locked thread