Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

CoolCab posted:

It kind of teetered a little bit in the middle, but I absolutely loved Rick's non-arc. Like it's not even entirely misogyny as much as it's just being absolutely jaded to everything and just bored through it. Like you get the projection this is so cliche it must be the forth or fifth time through it? ''Isn't it interesting, Summer, after all that stuff we just did, nothing really mattered and there was no point to it, kinda makes you wonder, huh? About nothing!'' He just so resolutely does not care at all, just sure, whatever, do what you want, and then gives her a pink spaceship. Perfect.

I think Rick is more worried about his granddaughter than he is jaded. I mean the very first thing that happens to her is that an alien tries to rape her and if that's setting the bar you can see why he'd not want to put her in those situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"Women can't go on adventures because they might get raped" is misogynist too, though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I mean men can get raped just as easily.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just ask poor Morty.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Does it count as rape to have to shove a giant, spiky seed up your butt? This is a rhetorical question.

e: Wait, wasn't Morty straight up almost kiddy-diddled in one episode?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Drifter posted:

Holy loving poo poo. :catstare:

This show is loving nuts.

Although...the female only plot gags felt very Futurama.

Pick posted:

Yeah, this episode felt really samey and didn't feel like it did anything new. I kept flashing back to the Futurama episode about Amazons.

hemophilia posted:

It seems to tread a lot of the same ground as that Futurama episode Amazon Women In The Mood. The jokes aren't exactly the same but it felt like this episode was doing something that lots of other cartoons have done, which is disappointing.

You guys were not paying attention, at all. The Futurama episode was a misogynist power fantasy where scantily-clad women were 'in charge' but ultimately they all competed to have sex with the male characters, and their society was undone by Bender's intrinsic 'superior' masculinity. In this episode, sex was completely divorced from the proceedings, Rick had nothing to offer or leverage in that society(besides insult), and tellingly at the end men as a gender are redeemed (partly) not by the intrinsic masculine phallus, but by creative works which demonstrate a prized and ungendered quality.

In short: Futurama has sex object amazons defeated by a robopenis. Rick and Morty have an intelligent cultured matriarchy defeated by a confrontation with their own gender bias.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Any epiphanies about gender politics were a projection of your feminine insecurity.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

nutranurse posted:

Does it count as rape to have to shove a giant, spiky seed up your butt? This is a rhetorical question.

e: Wait, wasn't Morty straight up almost kiddy-diddled in one episode?
Only almost thankfully.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LeJackal posted:

You guys were not paying attention, at all. The Futurama episode was a misogynist power fantasy where scantily-clad women were 'in charge' but ultimately they all competed to have sex with the male characters, and their society was undone by Bender's intrinsic 'superior' masculinity. In this episode, sex was completely divorced from the proceedings, Rick had nothing to offer or leverage in that society(besides insult), and tellingly at the end men as a gender are redeemed (partly) not by the intrinsic masculine phallus, but by creative works which demonstrate a prized and ungendered quality.

In short: Futurama has sex object amazons defeated by a robopenis. Rick and Morty have an intelligent cultured matriarchy defeated by a confrontation with their own gender bias.

Okay, so points 'A' and 'Z' were unique, but points 'B' through 'Y'

quote:

Although...the female only plot gags felt very Futurama.

Can you understand the difference between the humor elements and the sociopolitical gender-implications or whatever?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

LeJackal posted:

Rick and Morty have an intelligent cultured matriarchy defeated by a confrontation with their own gender bias.

And a fart.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

LeJackal posted:

tellingly at the end men as a gender are redeemed (partly) not by the intrinsic masculine phallus, but by creative works which demonstrate a prized and ungendered quality.

This is couching it a bit, the actual plot beat is a gag about gay men creating fashion and women loving clothes.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Android Blues posted:

This is couching it a bit, the actual plot beat is a gag about gay men creating fashion and women loving clothes.

I've stripped out the couching - for the sake of comedy its 'lol a gay man made pretty clothes and we love clothes!' but I've got the core of it.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

When Gazorpazorp put the music on for his teen rebellion I thought it was leading to a revelation that he really did love dancing. Oh well.

Looking forward to whatever the punchline is for the catchphrase gag.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
Best payoff for me was when after Morty Jr. goes off to find his outlet in the world after that heartfelt talk with his dad and all. Then you get the post credits of his book, "My Horrible Father"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Mortys parents seem to be even bigger assholes than Rick. How is that even possible? At least with him you feel something like genuine affection. I hope there will be an episode which showcases the relation between Morty and his parents a little bit more. It seems realy cold and practical right now.
Wait! Morty is an even worse parent. Maybe the lesson we have to take from it is "humanity just gets worse at this every time."

But I liked the line about parents only being kids who have kids themselves. Adulthood looks just way different from a childs eyes.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 12, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Air is lava! posted:

Mortys parents seem to be even bigger assholes than Rick. How is that even possible? At least with him you feel something like genuine affection. I hope there will be an episode which showcases the relation between Morty and his parents a little bit more. It seems realy cold and practical right now.
Wait! Morty is an even worse parent. Maybe the lesson we have to take from it is "humanity just gets worse at this every time."

Beth did try to comfort Morty at the end, at least.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Air is lava! posted:

But I liked the line about parents only being kids who have kids themselves. Adulthood looks just way different from a childs eyes.

From the AMA from last night.

Dan Harmon

quote:

Oh my God. Beth is so messed up. I guess I [think I] know more about her than what you've learned so far, but you know she got pregnant at seventeen. You know the guy that knocked her up wouldn't have been her first choice. You know her mother's out of the picture but that her Dad, who was out of the picture when she was a child, is now back IN the picture, and that, unlike Jerry, she seems relatively fine with his influence on her learning-disabled son. It seems like she'd rather her son risk his life with her insane father than end up being...like her husband. That's really, really hosed up.

We know that kids blame themselves for their parents breaking up, that's pretty standard psychology. But from there, we have different mechanisms for coping with the blame. And one of the strategies we see people employ, in the face of an absentee parent, is a deification of the parent that takes LESS responsibility. Beth thinks her dad is better than her mother because her dad had the brain and guts to leave her.

That's really, really hosed up.

Rick's daughter is more hosed up than Rick, and hosed up because of Rick, don't you worry about that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

From the AMA from last night.

Dan Harmon

This is a really good AMA by the way. I dunno how much of it is Dan trying not to piss off management, but they are very complimentary of the leadership at Adult Swim.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Twitch posted:

edit: After reading Brad Anderson's wiki, I looked at the GoComics page for Marmaduke for shits and giggles, and learned that there are unironic Marmaduke fans.

I laughed when Morty's dad Jerry got all excited about meeting Brad Anderson. :v:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

WickedHate posted:

"Women can't go on adventures because they might get raped" is misogynist too, though.

I thought we already established that Rick is incredibly misogynistic. I mean he's racist against bureacrats too!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Rick is mis-everything.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Every episode has been awesome since I stumbled on a few episodes on YouTube.

The Marmaduke line in this episode floored me.

Knowing the latest episode had sex issues in it, why did I even bother reading this thread :confused:

spikenigma fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 12, 2014

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I do like Rick's attempts at being a comedian/writer/Arsenio. Wub a dub dub!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

spikenigma posted:

Knowing the latest episode had sex issues in it, why did I even bother reading this thread :confused:

Wub a dub a lub lub!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

spikenigma posted:

Knowing the show, why did I even bother reading this thread :confused:

I dont know, why did you?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

spikenigma posted:

Kinda makes you wonder huh? About NOTHING.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Wub a dub a lub lub!

Alan Smithee posted:

I dont know, why did you?

MariusLecter posted:

Kinda makes you wonder huh? About NOTHING.

Jonas wins. Marius a close second.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

spikenigma posted:

Every episode has been awesome since I stumbled on a few episodes on YouTube.

The Marmaduke line in this episode floored me.

I was surprised how subdued everyone was about it here, which I think is a testament to the quality of the show. I hope they continually push people until the Tumblrites fall off and go find some other show to be weird about.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Given the last few episodes, I was really expecting Morty and Morty Jr to have a great bonding session after Morty Jr smashed Jerrys car (they did), and then for Rick to blow him away and Morty to be left holding his dead two day old son.

Those are the hosed up expectations this show has given me.

THANKS DAN AND JUSTIN!!!!

Seriously, glad this episode strayed from that route. Being seriously hosed up for the sake of being seriously hosed up can wear thin after a while

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I missed the Rick and Morty dynamic. I really like the chemistry between those characters (yes I know it's both Justin Roiland) and while I understand wanting to shake up the formula every now and again, I hope in the future it remains mostly Rick and Morty A plots and family B plots.

Rosa Gallica
Sep 13, 2011

Ariza posted:

I was surprised how subdued everyone was about it here, which I think is a testament to the quality of the show. I hope they continually push people until the Tumblrites fall off and go find some other show to be weird about.

I mean, I don't think anyone watching the show at this point has any illusions about it being a bastion of sensitivity; previous episodes have featured a child molesting jelly bean and a planet full of mantis mutants wanting to gently caress and kill a 14-year-old. That doesn't make last episode's jokes any less lazy, and being irritated by yet another plotline about how women are passive-aggressive and love clothes doesn't make someone an oversensitive Tumblrina.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

Rosa Gallica posted:

I mean, I don't think anyone watching the show at this point has any illusions about it being a bastion of sensitivity; previous episodes have featured a child molesting jelly bean and a planet full of mantis mutants wanting to gently caress and kill a 14-year-old. That doesn't make last episode's jokes any less lazy, and being irritated by yet another plotline about how women are passive-aggressive and love clothes doesn't make someone an oversensitive Tumblrina.

I'm gonna say yeah, it kind of does.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

spikenigma posted:

I'm gonna say yeah, it kind of does.

You can be annoyed by jokes you've heard rehashed countless times before without actually caring on a deeply personal level about the content of those jokes, you know.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
I actually kinda linked the stuff on Gazorpazorp. The scifi elements and the humour tied directly to them was kinda bland and vanilla compared to the show's usual fare, but the character moments from bouncing Rick and Summer off of them were fun.

Rick's misogyny felt very natural. He's an old man with some old values, and he's firmly set in his ways. If anything I felt like Rick was more motivated by frustration over the family not letting him apply his quick-and-easy solution to a problem, compounded by having to take the long way around, without his usual little adventure-buddy around, and someone who's willing to talk back to him forced her way into Morty's place. Where other episodes are adventures for Rick, this was a chore. He is quite petty, I wouldn't put it past him for that insult-injury combo to be so important in his eyes that it just poisoned his ability to enjoy the rest of his day.

Even trying to force his new catchphrase couldn't cheer him up.

His whole passive-aggressive speech at the end about not learning anything cemented it for me.

And even after farting all over everyone's day, he still gave Summer the spaceship. I think, on a better day (and a future episode) he'll be fair about bringing her along for some high-concept rigmarole.

A_Raving_Loon fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 12, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rosa Gallica posted:

It was funny, I was watching the episode with my gay roommates and when they did the Marc Jacobs quote one of them grumbled "that's a stereotype" and I said, oh in contrast to all the female stereotypes jokes they did?

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

Drifter posted:

You can be annoyed by jokes you've heard rehashed countless times before without actually caring on a deeply personal level about the content of those jokes, you know.

I'm going to go ahead and say that somebody who specifically :argh:s about stereotypical women jokes in an episode where the male side of the race were all, to a person - genentically, murdering, warmongering rapists probably has an axe to grind. :)

spikenigma fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 12, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

spikenigma posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say that somebody who specifically :argh:s about stereotypical women jokes in an episode where the male side of the race were all, to a person - genentically, murdering, warmongering rapists probably has an axe to grind. :)

Or maybe they were just like "Jesus, not this old poo poo again," and failed to make note of the 5% old rehashed male jokes as well in their post. Sometimes a joke you've heard before is just a joke you're heard before and not a howl of rage to the gods of misanthropy.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Drifter posted:

Or maybe they were just like "Jesus, not this old poo poo again," and failed to make note of the 5% old rehashed male jokes as well in their post. Sometimes a joke you've heard before is just a joke you're heard before and not a howl of rage to the gods of misanthropy.

Which is more offensive: 'your group likes pretty clothes and shoes' or 'your group is genetically driven to murder and rape'?

I'll give you a hint, its the second. I know, I've had elements of both lobbed at me!

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

Drifter posted:

Yeah, I'm sure you're right.

"Meh, I've heard that joke before" is surely a more frequent an opinion on this site than

:supaburn:

spikenigma fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

LeJackal posted:

Which is more offensive: 'your group likes pretty clothes and shoes' or 'your group is genetically driven to murder and rape'?

I'll give you a hint, its the second. I know, I've had elements of both lobbed at me!

How is that relevant to the idea of "Christ these jokes are old, ugh"? Again, it's possible to dislike a joke for reasons other than their broader political points.

• Locked thread