Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

but sidhe warriors have upkeep so it's less efficient to use them obviously?? :pseudo: my huge army led by lugh is currently on the other side of my poo poo site searching because i'm bad at this game, so i panicked and threw down 100pd when i saw two stacks by the province

Did it work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
No. :v:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

but sidhe warriors have upkeep so it's less efficient to use them obviously?? :pseudo: my huge army led by lugh is currently on the other side of my poo poo site searching because i'm bad at this game, so i panicked and threw down 100pd when i saw two stacks by the province

Always site search with your main army. I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that this is a great idea because then your army can help the mage look for stuff so he doesn't miss anything.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

but sidhe warriors have upkeep so it's less efficient to use them obviously??
Close to perfect logic.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Always site search with your main army. I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that this is a great idea because then your army can help the mage look for stuff so he doesn't miss anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4OBUupicWg

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Neruz posted:

Take the best dog and he can eat enemy thugs with his instant death bite.

She! Ammit is a girl demon crocodile thing.

Also hoburg crossbows met their match in a metric shitload of living mercury today.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Let this be an usettling warning to those who go go to Deviant art looking for a Dominions sprite work:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Decrepus posted:

Let this be an usettling warning to those who go go to Deviant art looking for a Dominions sprite work:

At least it doesn't have a pixellated minotaur glowing blue cyberdong.

That said, are there going to be nation guides for dom 4?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

ClothHat posted:

Leave Kitfox alone you guys.

Now he'll think twice before raiding me.

Kitfox88 posted:

I panicked and threw down 100pd when I saw two stacks by the province

How do you have 5000 gold just sitting around?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Microcline posted:

Now he'll think twice before raiding me.

How do you have 5000 gold just sitting around?

It was probably already at around 50 so he just had to top it off.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
How are you people not spending all your gold all the time?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I seriously don't know how people do that. I'll go full scales and still never have enough money to spend on stupid poo poo.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

GenericOverusedName posted:

I seriously don't know how people do that. I'll go full scales and still never have enough money to spend on stupid poo poo.

Buy [almost] nothing but sacreds. Sacred researchers, sacred commanders, sacred units. Maybe some non-sacreds for stealth or patrolling if you're a scrub, but everything that actually matters should be sacred so that you have half the normal upkeep. Bonus points for summoning guys instead, for zero upkeep.

Testing out a scales strategy against the AI right now, it is winter in year 3 and I have 2856 income and 719 upkeep because just about everything is sacred or summoned except my researchers.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Just getting lucky with provinces makes a huge deal also. You can snap up in year 1 what might take 30 provs to earn in another game. Also he is clearly not building enough forts.

fort loving everything

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 12, 2014

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Decrepus posted:

Just getting lucky with provinces makes a huge deal also. You can snap up in year 1 what might take 30 provs to earn in another game. Also he is clearly not building enough forts.

fort loving everything

How many forts is enough? I try to build them about 3 provinces apart with no/minimal overlap.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Jabarto posted:

How many forts is enough? I try to build them about 3 provinces apart with no/minimal overlap.

enough forts to recruit enough researchers that you have no money after upkeep+research

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

MrBims posted:

Buy [almost] nothing but sacreds. Sacred researchers, sacred commanders, sacred units. Maybe some non-sacreds for stealth or patrolling if you're a scrub, but everything that actually matters should be sacred so that you have half the normal upkeep. Bonus points for summoning guys instead, for zero upkeep.

Testing out a scales strategy against the AI right now, it is winter in year 3 and I have 2856 income and 719 upkeep because just about everything is sacred or summoned except my researchers.

My dumpster garbage armies roll 300+ guys deep and have a dozen non-sacred battle mages with tremendous upkeep. The best cure for upkeep problems is taking capitals and getting in huge pixelman fights, 420 recruit indie archers every turn.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 12, 2014

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

If I'm not taking a high Dominion as MA C'tis am I failing to take advantage of the opportunities the Miasma affords? I've typically been rolling with a Mother of Monsters N4D5 for Tarts + GoH + GoR, which leaves me with a 6 Dom after scales, and in MP games I'm never beating neighbors on Dom push and I'm always thinking to myself "Man I wish I was pushing Dom into that fort province of theirs that would really force the issue in this region."

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

You don't need an awake pretender to cast tartarian gate, probably.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Jabarto posted:

Good fort placement is only very barely related to how far apart they are. I will often start my second fort adjacent to my capitol for expediency. Mostly, fort placement is about securing important provinces and increasing your production rate in the early game, and in the midgame is about making enough mages to eat 100% of your gold income.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
I've seen a lot of questions in IRC about forts and how they work. All provinces in the game offer you only 50% of their resources- this is the value you see when you click on a province. When you build a fort, you get access to the total value of the resources in the province that hosts the fort, 10 resources become 20, for example. The fort then draws from each adjacent province a percentage of the total resource value of those provinces equal to its admin value. So if you build a castle (30 admin) you draw 30% of total resources from each bordering province. The previous 50% are still available in each respective province, 30% of the "hidden" portion is now available in the fort. This effectively gives you 80% utilization of that province's resources. Forts cannot draw from other forted provinces, so if you build adjacent forts they won't dip into each other.
However, if a province were to be in range of two castles, each castle would draw 30% of the total resources from that province. This would be 110% utilization, and you can't do that. What happens is the game draws from the first 50%, giving 30% of the resources to each fort, and leaving only 40% at the province in question. (Viewable resources in that prov goes down).
So when you overlap on forts, there are diminishing returns. When you have more than 50 admin in a province, you get no benefit at all. Therefore it's usually most effective in terms of economics to build forts in provinces that border as many other un-administrated provinces as possible, though building a fort in a small cluster of high-income provinces could be as effective.

Of course, there are other advantages of forts than just pure income and resource access, as mentioned above, like troop production, defense, and resource utilization. Not to mention national bonuses like access to restricted troops and freespawn quality. Dominions is a lot like Starcraft, where there's no benefit to banking your resources. Spending all your gold is good, and forts help you do that.

NickBlasta fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 12, 2014

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

NickBlasta posted:

Dominions is a lot like Starcraft, where there's no benefit to banking your resources. Spending all your gold is good, and forts help you do that.

I don't really like the comparison, because Starcraft has no upkeep costs. The reason spending all your gold is good in Dominions is because when you make a mage, it is immediately put to use; as in mages are immediately put on research. It's actually better to hold gold than to spend it on troops that you won't use, thanks to upkeep costs. Of course, resource cost means you need to build troops ahead of time, but if you could get away with it, like some nations can (R'lyeh comes to mind), it's better to save your gold until you need to recruit than make troops with it every turn.

90% of the time this isn't an option, because more troops are always immediately necessary, or because spending your troop gold in a single turn would be impossible due to the res limit, which along with the always be making mages thing gives rise to the "spend all your gold" mentality.

In terms of fort placement, you don't usually care about the resource values of your non-fort provinces, so even if you wanted to maximized fort resources (usually not as important as other factors) there's almost never going to be a problem having 2 forts draw res from the same province. COINCIDENTALLY placing a fort every other province will put them within mapmove 2 of each other, making it dead easy to reinforce between forts as the majority of troops in this game are mm2.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 12, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MagnumOpus posted:

If I'm not taking a high Dominion as MA C'tis am I failing to take advantage of the opportunities the Miasma affords? I've typically been rolling with a Mother of Monsters N4D5 for Tarts + GoH + GoR, which leaves me with a 6 Dom after scales, and in MP games I'm never beating neighbors on Dom push and I'm always thinking to myself "Man I wish I was pushing Dom into that fort province of theirs that would really force the issue in this region."
Dom 6 is fine, having dom push makes you a huge target, all else being equal, especially when your dominion is hazardous.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
MA Ctis dominion isn't purely hazardous though. Unless the nation description is lying, Ctis also get a 1% income bonus for every dominion candle they have in a province. It's pretty huge to be able to get what basically amounts to order4 & order5, especially on a nation whose entire schtick is hiring expensive mages in every fort they can manage to build.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheresNoThyme posted:

MA Ctis dominion isn't purely hazardous though.
It is to their opponents.

Someone like Man etc. putting their own Order scales into your province, yeah OK whatever, it is annoying to not get the 'proper' benefits, but ho hum.

Your mages getting diseased?

Gonna burn down everything C'tis has for the good of everyone else in the game.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

jBrereton posted:

Someone like Man etc. putting their own Order scales into your province, yeah OK whatever, it is annoying to not get the 'proper' benefits, but ho hum.

"My Lord, time has come for us to wage war upon the lizardfolk of C'Tis!"
"Why? They have always been a stalwart ally"
"Its the smell sir, the people on the borders say the wind keeps blowing it over their houses."

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Jabarto posted:

Fort all the things.

jBrereton posted:

If the C'tis guy isn't actively preaching and spamming temples along your border it's not hard to keep even dom10 miasma at bay. C'tis spamming temples should be considered an act of war anyways regardless of NAP.

Unless I'm someone like Pan or a nation with bloodsac I hate invading them though. Let someone else deal with it.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 12, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I think that fort infrastructure is underrated. Gatehouse and Roads are two very powerful improvements you can get. Roads especially if you get a mountain/farm or forest/farm province.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Roads, maybe.

Gatehouse, eh.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

Roads, maybe.

Gatehouse, eh.

Towers are pretty great if you can stuff the fort entrance with chaff, just sayin. At a guess I'd say each tower fires about 15 arrows, no clue how strong they are but you can get 4 of them with a gate house + towers + additional towers.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Roads, maybe.

Gatehouse, eh.

I like to do all of those fort strength upgrades on throne forts later in the game if I have tons of money to give you an extra turn or 2 to respond to an attempt to blitz thrones for a win.

Supply upgrades are completely worthless though.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Just ask yourself this question:

Do I need resources?

If you answered yes you picked the wrong loving nation to play in Dominions.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Just ask yourself this question:

Do I need resources?

If you answered yes you picked the wrong loving nation to play in Dominions.

Look at this guy and his bad opinions. Resources let you make more of the things!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Towers are pretty great if you can stuff the fort entrance with chaff, just sayin.
Not really.

Ethereal Troops/Mages/Missile Units etc. do not care about your lovely towers and walls.

Will spending 1000 extra gold on fort upgrades slightly inconvenience Machaka Warriors and similarly garbage chaff? Yeah. But that's about it.

Decrepus maybe? you can't look at previous posts in edit mode gently caress posted:

Resources are bad or something equally wrong
Even factions like TNN need some resources.

List of factions that don't need much resources at all:

- Yomi
- Mictlan unless you want to play them scaleswise.
- Monkeys, Sorta.
- Pythium with the massive proviso that if an enemy scout attacks your Gladiators they will all gently caress off (for this reason, always attack Pythium with a scout on Retreat orders all the time everywhere, kids!, even if you 'only' take out four gladiators you win)
- Caelum (sometimes)
- Machaka, Sorta
- Marverni
- R'lyeh I guess
- Lame Undead Factions
- (Turmoil) EA/MA Pan and Growth/Magic Asphodel

That's about it?

Even indie commanders need at least some resources!

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 12, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

Not really.

Ethereal Troops/Mages/Missile Units etc. do not care about your lovely towers and walls.

Will spending 1000 extra gold on fort upgrades slightly inconvenience Machaka Warriors and similarly garbage chaff? Yeah. But that's about it.

I dunno I've seen a lot of people using some form of heavy cavalry as their frontline these days, being able to tangle those guys up under a bunch of towers is pretty great in my experience.

Also I'm pretty sure Killing Ground is 200, Towers another 200 and additional towers a further 200 for 600 total? I don't remember towers costing 400 gold.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

jBrereton posted:

Not really.

Even factions like TNN need some resources.

List of factions that don't need much resources at all:

- Yomi
- Mictlan unless you want to play them scaleswise.
- Monkeys, Sorta.
- Pythium with the massive proviso that if an enemy scout attacks your Gladiators they will all gently caress off (for this reason, always attack Pythium with a scout on Retreat orders all the time everywhere, kids!, even if you 'only' take out four gladiators you win)
- Caelum (sometimes)
- Machaka, Sorta
- Marverni
- R'lyeh I guess
- Lame Undead Factions
- (Turmoil) EA/MA Pan and Growth/Magic Asphodel

That's about it?

Even indie commanders need at least some resources!

Look at this guy missing the point completely.

He's right, the factions that require resources in large quantities are generally speaking, less powerful, than the ones that don't need you to think about res management.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheDemon posted:

Look at this guy missing the point completely.
If MA Ulm's troops were only 15 resources a pop instead of about 25, I'd still be reluctant to play the faction, because its weaknesses go way, way deeper than its troops being annoying to mass, same's true of Abysia etc.

It's not that I don't understand that having your troops as close to 1 resource each as possible is hypothetically useful just for upkeep and convenient recruitment's sake, but it isn't as simple as all that.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Actually for upkeep high resources is good because resources don't factor into upkeep costs.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

That doesn't make it good, it makes it irrelevant. Also its not entirely true because if someone breaks your dudes armor you need the same resources and a fort to repair it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Actually for upkeep high resources is good because resources don't factor into upkeep costs.
No, it isn't.

High resource costs mean you need to keep buying troops regularly so you get enough together to be useful, which means you're always shelling out cash.

• Locked thread