Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Storms are pretty good about producing gorgeous clouds.. as the front moves in you can get some neat looks, and after the storm has passed the sunset is almost always gorgeous.

Other than that, I got nothing.

My uncle's ranch outside of Bozeman has consistently amazing sunsets. I don't know what it is about the geography in that area but just about every evening clouds form up along the western horizon and do amazing things. I've never seen anywhere that was so consistently eye popping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Yeah, I just tend to look out the window around an hour before sunset. After a while, you get pretty good at spotting potential. Of course, it restricts you to places you can reach in an hour, but if I'm out somewhere special I usually plan to be finishing up around sunset anyway.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SnowWolf posted:

Do you guys have any tips for "predicting" clouds at sunset? I could always look outside and guess, but if I can reasonably expect a great sunset, it makes it an easier decision to drive 45 minutes - 1 hour to a photo spot. So far from the light research I've done, it seems that colder, high altitude clouds tend to be better in regards to Rayleigh scattering and you can tell those clouds on infrared satellite forecasts like this
http://www.weather.gov/satellite

Wish I could zoom in a little more though. I also look at hourly forecasts of course, and hope that partly sunny / cloudy skies will give me something good

I use a combination of http://www.wunderground.com/ and http://photoephemeris.com/ to plan shoots.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I purchased a Canon T3i and Understanding Exposure. Have just started delving into each. I only have a kit lens and the nifty fifty. These were shot by hand on the 50mm, with aperture priority and no editing other than clicking on "I'm Feeling Lucky" in Picasa. I didn't really get as much sharpness and clarity as I thought I would have. Would a tripod have helped in these conditions? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

IMG_0201 by dusteroff71, on Flickr

IMG_0210 by dusteroff71, on Flickr

IMG_0244 by dusteroff71, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SnowWolf posted:

Do you guys have any tips for "predicting" clouds at sunset? I could always look outside and guess, but if I can reasonably expect a great sunset, it makes it an easier decision to drive 45 minutes - 1 hour to a photo spot. So far from the light research I've done, it seems that colder, high altitude clouds tend to be better in regards to Rayleigh scattering and you can tell those clouds on infrared satellite forecasts like this
http://www.weather.gov/satellite

Wish I could zoom in a little more though. I also look at hourly forecasts of course, and hope that partly sunny / cloudy skies will give me something good

Living in the PNW and in a pretty great Valley area is what helps me get clouds. The key to sunset color is to wait for the sun to dip, thats when colors get their best. Sunrise colors get intense just before it breaks the horizon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

I purchased a Canon T3i and Understanding Exposure. Have just started delving into each. I only have a kit lens and the nifty fifty. These were shot by hand on the 50mm, with aperture priority and no editing other than clicking on "I'm Feeling Lucky" in Picasa. I didn't really get as much sharpness and clarity as I thought I would have. Would a tripod have helped in these conditions? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Tripod might have helped with the horizon being horizontal. :v:

Sharpness is pretty good for being handheld and the colors are spectacular. Composition is a bit iffy.. should probably crop so the boat and sun are along the thirds.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Hughmoris posted:

What do you mean "sharpness"? They look plenty sharp to me at that size - are you looking at 100% magnification?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

xzzy posted:

Tripod might have helped with the horizon being horizontal. :v:

Sharpness is pretty good for being handheld and the colors are spectacular. Composition is a bit iffy.. should probably crop so the boat and sun are along the thirds.

Thanks for the feedback. When I uploaded the pictures to my computer and saw the lopsided horizon, I wanted to slap myself. All in all, I'm happy for my first outing with my new hobby. I just wish I knew jack about the basics of photo editing. I feel like with some basic corrections, the photos could be that much better.

Here is probably my favorite shot from the morning. I thought about cropping it but I just love the wide range of colors:

1-IMG_0194 by dusteroff71, on Flickr

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Hi guys, I heard you like really heavy-handed postprocessed HDR landscapes :v:

Moody Ringsted by AFBK, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for the feedback. When I uploaded the pictures to my computer and saw the lopsided horizon, I wanted to slap myself. All in all, I'm happy for my first outing with my new hobby. I just wish I knew jack about the basics of photo editing. I feel like with some basic corrections, the photos could be that much better.

Here is probably my favorite shot from the morning. I thought about cropping it but I just love the wide range of colors:

That's definitely the best of the bunch, just keep the composition in mind next time. The rule of thumb is if you don't know what to do, put the most interesting parts of the scene somewhere on the rule of thirds lines.

Or if you're not using a prime lens, zoom out a bit so you can fix it with cropping later.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

xzzy posted:

That's definitely the best of the bunch, just keep the composition in mind next time. The rule of thumb is if you don't know what to do, put the most interesting parts of the scene somewhere on the rule of thirds lines.

Eh, I think it's fine. Like all "rules," the rule of thirds is only a guideline, and one of the easiest ways to break it appropriately is when you have a landscape and shift the horizon to direct more attention to either the land/water or to the sky. The clouds are fairly interesting with a strong color gradient in the sky, so for them to take up the majority of the picture seems okay, since it doesn't seem like anything of interest on the water is being cut off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

I don't know jackshit about composition or rule of thirds lines but I think this is pretty awesome. The position of the barge or whatever it is is really great, I think if you had the sun directly centered and more of the ground visible or whatever, it would look worse.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Also, get Lightroom. I spent 8 years shooting JPG and doing no post-processing, and I'm definitely kicking myself. The great photos are still great, but there are a lot of mediocre pictures that I could dramatically improve now. And if you can't afford Lightroom yet, shoot in RAW+JPG to plan for the future.

Stuff like horizon adjustment and distortion profiles is super easy in Lightroom, and its cataloging features are way better than Picasa's. You don't have to know anything, and you can feel free to mess with all sliders and see what happens because it doesn't ever touch the original image.

Just try not to overdo it when you realize just how much power it gives you to gently caress with images!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

404notfound posted:

Eh, I think it's fine. Like all "rules," the rule of thirds is only a guideline, and one of the easiest ways to break it appropriately is when you have a landscape and shift the horizon to direct more attention to either the land/water or to the sky. The clouds are fairly interesting with a strong color gradient in the sky, so for them to take up the majority of the picture seems okay, since it doesn't seem like anything of interest on the water is being cut off.

Fair enough, it just feels like the sun is too snug up against the edge of the frame to me.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

xzzy posted:

Fair enough, it just feels like the sun is too snug up against the edge of the frame to me.

Doh, for some reason I was only thinking of the vertical balance of elements. Yeah, the sun could be more effective if it wasn't at the very right edge of the image.

Anyway, rules are just shortcuts to acceptable images, and it's perfectly fine to break them if you have a reason to. I think most people would agree that the sun could use a little more room to breathe, but ultimately it's the photographer's call to make.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

vote_no posted:

Also, get Lightroom. I spent 8 years shooting JPG and doing no post-processing, and I'm definitely kicking myself. The great photos are still great, but there are a lot of mediocre pictures that I could dramatically improve now. And if you can't afford Lightroom yet, shoot in RAW+JPG to plan for the future.

Stuff like horizon adjustment and distortion profiles is super easy in Lightroom, and its cataloging features are way better than Picasa's. You don't have to know anything, and you can feel free to mess with all sliders and see what happens because it doesn't ever touch the original image.

Just try not to overdo it when you realize just how much power it gives you to gently caress with images!

With the Canon Digital Photo Professional that comes bundled the settings that are made on the camera are kept when opening the photo, picture styles (landscape, portrait and other profiles) and settings that adjust the JPG file also adjust the CR2 file. The difference there would be that it is possible to remove anything made in the camera for the CR2 files compared to the JPG file.

It is not as good as Lightroom but one good thing is that DPP keeps the profile for the RAW file from the camera, similar to how the JPG would have been processed in the camera. It is an alternative to Lightroom.

I do not know how the bundled software that comes with any other brand of cameras works but I guess they do the same thing for their brand.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Untitled by pboutell, on Flickr

nice day, went for a walk around town.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

This owns.

Stata by jpitha, on Flickr

Bdlg 7 Entrance by jpitha, on Flickr

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Here in Minnesota, we're thawing out!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

It's beautiful and spring-like there already isn't it?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

whaam posted:

It's beautiful and spring-like there already isn't it?

Pretty much but we have had a strange winter (even milder than usual) and very dry. In the last few weeks we have had more typical weather (rain and snow up in the mountains) but things are starting warming up.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Amaneciendo en las Torres by Mijaeus, on Flickr

I can't straighten it out because it cuts too much of the photo...this is what happends when you don't have a tripod with you :v:

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 12, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the heck man, do you even use the viewfinder? :v:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Judging by the long exposure, I'm guessing that was the best angle he could balance his camera on a thing.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

El Laucha posted:

Amaneciendo en las Torres by Mijaeus, on Flickr

I can't straighten it out because it cuts too much of the photo...this is what happends when you don't have a tripod with you :v

This is quick and dirty, but a rotate and content-aware-fill later, this is what happened. It works out ok I think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

try it with a lime posted:

Judging by the long exposure, I'm guessing that was the best angle he could balance his camera on a thing.

Fair enough, that's why I always make room in my backpack for the gorillapod or at least a towel. If I'm not hauling my tripod anyways.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

untitled by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

I did a double-take at the name and title. It should be wallofinsanity by untitled.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

xzzy posted:

Fair enough, that's why I always make room in my backpack for the gorillapod or at least a towel. If I'm not hauling my tripod anyways.

I was going to bring my tripod, but I was going on a 7 day hike and I decided not to carry a 3kg tripod. I bought a monopod that clocks at 1.1kg but I forgot the adaptor :\ (this is why I didn't throw in my gorillapod). I had to balance the camera on some rocks, I tried my best.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

El Laucha posted:

I was going to bring my tripod, but I was going on a 7 day hike and I decided not to carry a 3kg tripod. I bought a monopod that clocks at 1.1kg but I forgot the adaptor :\ (this is why I didn't throw in my gorillapod). I had to balance the camera on some rocks, I tried my best.

Buy a hiking pole that has a monopod head. I have something like this that I got from REI 6 years ago. I have abused the hell out of it and it still works perfectly. Weighs almost nothing as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=750792&gclid=COyFvf_Fjb0CFVKFfgodnQUAiQ&Q=&is=USA&A=details

http://www.rei.com/product/847813/rei-hiker-shocklight-staff

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Khao Lak by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

That's a real keeper.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Deadweight
Feb 8, 2005

"I might even be able to crash the whole damn system."

DSC_0644 by whatwhat5814, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Perspective seems off, lines aren't parallel or it needs some rotation on my screen at least.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

untitled-126.jpg by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Perspective seems off, lines aren't parallel or it needs some rotation on my screen at least.

Yep. That is an instant print and it is what it is.