Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

heytallman posted:

On the topic of extra stuff added in, what do you guys think of controller cams when it comes to really intuitive things like speedruns or fighting games or something like that? The best example I can think of is Trihex's streams. I don't think it adds TOO much, but it's kind of neat to see how ridiculously fast and technical something as simple looking like Yoshi's Island is.

If there's a good reason for it to exist, like Vicas's foot cam from his Super Mario 64 LP or controller cams from speedruns, then there shouldn't be any qualms about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Well, we've had a Feet Cam on these very forums, so i doubt you'll find many people argue against something like that. If you have some kind of impressive display of skill for the viewers, go ahead and show it.

/e: ah, beaten

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

RareAcumen posted:

In all the years of scarecam's existence, [it's been years right?] I can't believe still that no one has done a horror game and decided to not put up the scarecam the whole time through and only pull it up when there's a thing on the screen that they're shocked by.

Actually that would require some thought on their part so no wonder I've never seen it.

Because it would make it really apparent that there's going to be something scary/stupid/EMOTION in the next couple of seconds and kind of detract from the gameplay being presented. Even in an *Instant Replay* system ("Let's rewind the last five seconds so you can see my face as poo poo goes down!") you have the same issue of having a facecam in the first place.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

slowbeef posted:

1. Rather than just throw up a screen and call it a day, try to incorporate it in the UI somehow

Just thought I'd chime in on this with the thought of having a developer/VA guest commentator. I absolutely wouldn't mind a tastefully done facecam bit with the LPer and a developer/VA of the game. But then again, that comes back to not detracting from the game. In that instance, it wouldn't, as you'd actually have a relevant part of the game being "shown"....instead of just advertising some rear end in a top hat who decided to buy it and play it for the internet.

I mean, damned if I'd complain if I saw an LP of Lords of Shadow, and they had a Patrick Stewart (Patrick Stewart is hopefully FAR too classy to gently caress with LP), facecam up.

But then again, just exactly how many times has this happened, having people involved with game production as a guest is a rare, RARE thing, even with the top tier that's sometimes displayed here.

Basically, having an apt, non-abrasive facecam moment in an LP, happens about as often as health insurance companies don't jack their rates under the new HC law. Practically doesn't happen!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The only reason you need your face on the screen is if you are trying to connect with your audience despite the game and not through it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Occasional slow-panning slots of everyone's reactions as you work your way through bad games like Beyond Two Souls, Ride to Hell Retribution, DMC Devil May Cry, Metroid Other M, etc could maybe be good. But really a 'Hey, I'm actually doing this thing that no one would just take my word for-' Like playing a game with your feet. :v: 'so here's a constant recording for proof' is the only thing I could think of that'd warrant a constant recording.

But otherwise I really can't think of any reason for them to constantly be using the screen real-estate all the time.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 11, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Occasional slow-panning slots of everyone's reactions as you work your way through bad games like Beyond Two Souls, Ride to Hell Retribution, DMC Devil May Cry, Metroid Other M, etc could maybe be good. But really a 'Hey, I'm actually doing this thing that no one would just take my word for-' Like playing a game with your feet. :v: 'so here's a constant recording for proof' is the only thing I could think of that'd warrant a constant recording.

But otherwise I really can't think of any reason for them to constantly be using the screen real-estate all the time.

So basically a shot like in The Producers during Springtime for Hitler?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

ChaosArgate posted:

Most of the time, they obscure a part of the game, which in itself is already pretty bad, but another thing to consider is that since the LPer has decided that their face must be present on screen so you can get reactions, then they are saying that they're more important than the game they're playing.

I remember one time I watched a video where it was like, a whole bunch of people "playing", and by "playing" I mean a couple of the people played and everyone else watched, where it had an "everyone cam" or something. They literally scrunched the game footage off to one side so an entire third or so of the screen could be everyone gathered around the couch. Possibly the most pointless, distracting way to do an LP I've ever seen.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The only time I've really liked a 'face'-cam, is the GDQ series. Where it's two windows for [[game]][[audience]], and it's for charity. It's not really a let's play though, or at least it's not one where the discussion would be in youtube comments or a thread. Since it's all live, the audience starts and ends at the time of streaming, in a single segment per game.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

SystemLogoff posted:

The only time I've really liked a 'face'-cam, is the GDQ series. Where it's two windows for [[game]][[audience]], and it's for charity. It's not really a let's play though, or at least it's not one where the discussion would be in youtube comments or a thread. Since it's all live, the audience starts and ends at the time of streaming, in a single segment per game.

The best thing is they never overlap the game and players, and never make the audiance cam the focal point.
This leads to stuff like this:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I'd like to bring to your attention (if it hasn't been yet) a recently started video series by Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation, called "Let's drown out" https://www.youtube.com/user/yahtzee19/videos?view=0&flow=grid It's one one-hour video per usually bad game, and Yahtzee and his pal banter over it trying to stay on gaming-related topics. I guess it's more about hearing people talk, fortunately I find that the commentators are rather competent talkers.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Has anyone else been getting the "video disguised as an ad" ad? I have been seeing one which is basically just footage of someone playing Ace Attorney Duel Destinies.

On that note, tonight I actually got an ad for Valkhorn's channel when looking at a toy review.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
If anyone is going to mention QDC, I think it should be known that this was the best thing they ever done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1YzliVN29U

Now THIS is how you do a speedrun!

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

mateo360 posted:

Has anyone else been getting the "video disguised as an ad" ad? I have been seeing one which is basically just footage of someone playing Ace Attorney Duel Destinies.

On that note, tonight I actually got an ad for Valkhorn's channel when looking at a toy review.

YouTube started a "Fan Finder" program a while ago where you could submit one of your videos to run as an advertisement for you for free. From what I know about it you have to have at least a few thousand subs to be big enough to qualify though. Perhaps that's what you were seeing?

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Dr. Buttass posted:

I remember one time I watched a video where it was like, a whole bunch of people "playing", and by "playing" I mean a couple of the people played and everyone else watched, where it had an "everyone cam" or something. They literally scrunched the game footage off to one side so an entire third or so of the screen could be everyone gathered around the couch. Possibly the most pointless, distracting way to do an LP I've ever seen.

That's Video Game Awesome... They suck. Even without the split screen their full commentary is yelling

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

mateo360 posted:

It's popping up more and more, It's getting to where I got an ad for a channel I was watching the other day.

I was talking to another goon on the valkhorn channel thing. It looks like he took some of the advice from a recent Retsutalk and is doing videos just on his channel now and not posting a thread here for it. Also, he's doing giveaways but only if he gets the right number of shares or something.

I'm not sure how far we can go discussing valkhorn considering he has active threads in the LP subforum but is also making a go of having an LP focused YouTube channel, so I'm leaving it at that.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

unfair posted:

YouTube started a "Fan Finder" program a while ago where you could submit one of your videos to run as an advertisement for you for free. From what I know about it you have to have at least a few thousand subs to be big enough to qualify though. Perhaps that's what you were seeing?

Yeah, I've seen a few of these too.

It's strange, this thread talked about trying to sell the concept of LPs recently, and now YouTubers are trying to do it. I wonder how well this new Fan Finder thing works?

EDIT: You know, if you have a run that doesn't quite work out...you can redo it. It's fine.

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 12, 2014

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Brassherald posted:

That's Video Game Awesome... They suck. Even without the split screen their full commentary is yelling

I hate that most of the screen is taken up by their group and the chat. The actual game is angled away. And the guy who plays the games sucks at them.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

literally lasted one second

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

RSCNyx posted:

It's strange, this thread talked about trying to sell the concept of LPs recently

If you mean Retsutalk, I don't mean "sell" to mean like a monetary thing. I mean more like "selling" the concept to people unfamiliar. Like telling people unfamiliar with it about it, so that they're interested in the concept rather than brushing it off outright.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I made it to 1:49, when he was translating WWW as World Wide Web and shouting WORLD WIDE WEB IS EVIL????

gently caress this guy

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

slowbeef posted:

If you mean Retsutalk, I don't mean "sell" to mean like a monetary thing. I mean more like "selling" the concept to people unfamiliar. Like telling people unfamiliar with it about it, so that they're interested in the concept rather than brushing it off outright.

Yeah, what I was meaning was that I'm sure there's people on YouTube who don't really know what Let's Play is, then they get an ad featuring some guy/girl saying they play video games for the internet.

Not getting into how you would even try to convince someone your channel is worth checking out, how do you tell someone who has no idea what LP is, "Hey I play video games for the internet and you should watch" and not expect them to be confused at best? Especially in advertisement form?

Granted, I don't know how this Fan Finder works, or how wide-spread it is.

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 12, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

slowbeef posted:

Because people will tell you "but I like scarecams!" as if that's a counterpoint, concede that maybe there is something to it and an acceptable level of compromise is to...

1. Rather than just throw up a screen and call it a day, try to incorporate it in the UI somehow
2. Ask - does the scarecam need to be present through the entirety of the playthrough? Can't we have it come in/out when particularly interesting poo poo happens rather than all the drat time?

I have not even thought about that. Thanks for the hints.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'd actually be interested in seeing a discussion of what made people get into watching LPs.

For my part, my brother and I shared one tv at any given point and would play single player games cooperatively. Swapping the controller for each boss in Final Fantasy 7, for example (Don't ask me how this actually worked, I've got no idea. We fought like badgers the rest of the time but somehow managed to cooperate on this one thing). I guess that taught me that I don't actually have to be controlling the character to enjoy a game?

Still, on its very surface, an LP is a very stupid concept. It's a way of making an interactive fiction non-interactive, which would seem, on first glance, to rather ruin the whole point.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
That's not the worst thing in the world. A lot of games that are too difficult or impossible to play normally can be experienced through LPs. It's no different from watching a movie with director's commentary.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It also helps people discover gems that went unnoticed or that they otherwise would have skipped. For example, I probably never would have cared about Harvester had I not read the LP of it.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Kytrarewn posted:

I'd actually be interested in seeing a discussion of what made people get into watching LPs.

While growing up we only had 1 computer and TV, my brother would always occupy the computer and dad was always watching TV. When World of Warcraft came out it enthralled me completely but I could only really enjoy it by watching my brother play it so I got used to experiencing games by watching others. A few years later I saw Coolguy's LP of Dark Messiah and I had a great time watching it because it was really funny, I still thought it was stupid of me watching people play games but the entertainment from them made me enjoy it. I also watched Deadly Premonitions and then it clicked in my head that I can see all these cool games I never would have bought before.

Since then I've enjoyed Let's Plays... I now also watch e-Sports and oh God someone help me.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

LPs let me see games I wouldn't have played otherwise because I can't play them, don't want to, or wouldn't have been aware of. As well as just showing the game, there's usually someone who knows the ins and outs to show off stuff I might have missed and do things I wouldn't have had the ability or dedication for. Alternatively, it might be a game I've played but want to see more of, either because I'm just not done with it but can't/won't actually play again, or because I just want to see other people tackle it. Sometimes, I just think that the LPer is interesting or funny and (sorry) I don't really much about what the game is.

It's gonna look really dumb to anyone not interested in video games, but y'know.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

gently caress this guy, I actually liked this game series despite how bad it got at times. But this is not a game you LP blind.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

There's loving BLACK SPACE TO EITHER SIDE YOU CAN PUT YOUR FACECAM ON JESUS. And he can't redo it, then it wouldn't be BLIND!

To participate in the "what got us watching LPs" discussion, I actually can't really remember. I know I was familiar with the concept of LP, but can't remember actively watching them. I was always a person who would have much rather played the games than watch an LP. Most of the time I wouldn't watch LPs just because I'd always think "I plan on playing that some day, why bother watching the LP?" The first LP-related thing I watched regularly was Retsupurae, and only because a friend sold it to me as "like MST3K but for bad LPs" back in like 2009. From there I slowly started watching more, and I guess here I am today? I never really followed any of the big LP superstars, RP basically taught me what to look for in LPs, if that makes sense.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I started watching Chuggaaconroy videos because I had to look up a cutscene from PMTTYD for something I was working on. He mentioned Proton Jon alot so I watched his stuff and eventually found Retsupurae, then Slowbeef's and Chip's lp videos.

That's how I found this site :buddy:

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

I really don't remember what got me into the whole LP thing. I didn't know what SA was back in 2007, so the first ones I stumbled upon were I Wanna Be The Guy LPs. Then stumbled upon more LP channels, and it went from there.

I always thought it was enjoyable watching others play games, to see what their experiences were as opposed to my own. In addition, as a kid, I had relatives ask me to play T.R.A.G: Mission of Mercy, a hilariously bad game, because hell if they were gonna play it on their own.

That's why I got into LPs.

heytallman posted:

There's loving BLACK SPACE TO EITHER SIDE YOU CAN PUT YOUR FACECAM ON JESUS. And he can't redo it, then it wouldn't be BLIND!

That's true, but if you can't make progress in your blind run...maybe it's okay to abandon the "blind" part of it. Or edit out the failures, at the least.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

heytallman posted:

And he can't redo it, then it wouldn't be BLIND!

My personal feeling is if your first video in a Blind LP doesn't go well, but you still want to do it blind, it's better to have a non-blind first part redone, but with blind followups.

(I know you're joking, I'm just saying.)

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Kytrarewn posted:

Retsupurae.

I used to loathe Let's Plays as a concept, and I was pretty thrilled to find a channel that was exclusively about mocking bad let's plays. My line of thought was that "This is so dumb, why would I want to watch anyone play a game, when I could play it myself?" and basically all the previous exposure I had to LP's was the Youtube stuff. After I had exhausted all of the retsupuraes on the channel, I was content starved and watched all the wrongpuraes. Then the LP's like Dead to Rights. Then RP stuff by Chip and Ironicus, then their LP's...

Eventually I caved in and got a forums account. That was one hell of a slippery slope.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Well now, to be fair, Last Alert was amazing.
It could probably turn anyone.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

On how people got into LPs, I really like JRPGS, but these past few years I've been having less and less time to play video games, so screenshot LPs are a godsend. I can binge read the narrative, without spending over a hundred hours playing through the game, most of which is spent grinding random encounters. Some of which aren't worth playing through anyway (e.g. Drakengard) Also, a lot of the LPs are completionist, so I get to see a ton of poo poo I'd never have encountered in the first place.

Still can't do video LPs, though. I enjoy watching other people in the same room play through games, but I can't manage to sit through hours of footage of somebody else playing a game, no matter how interesting that footage may be. Also, the lack of subtitles for the commentary or even the game can make it rather difficult for me, for various reasons.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Kytrarewn posted:

Oddly enough, Dark Souls playthroughs got me into LPs. Between Emmarell, OnlyAfro and DarkSoulsMindsEye I was digging the idea of commentated playthroughs, so I started looking elsewhere. Someone then said "hey you should check out these guys called Restuprae and their Other M video." After that it all just kept tumbling down.

Chip and VoiceOfDog's stuff actually motivated me to do LPs myself. They produce cool stuff.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I hate getting back to DSP, but this just got posted. The guy who made it (who also posted a similar video earlier) seems to understand that the plane of existence that Phil operates on has to be some form of satire, so he puts him and his behavior into a Sitcom format. The result is just amazing, and the detail is astounding. Everything down to the video game figurines in his apartment is beautiful. It's also a play on that thing Microsoft did paying off channels who talked positive about the Xbox One earlier this year.

This wasn't the first video he did on Phil (and most incompetent LPers in general), as he did another one which was more or less a machinima website advertisement in its second half. Still worth a watch though.

Kytrarewn posted:

It's kinda hard for me to pin down, but I think I got interested in watching them when I saw a Youtube LP of Portal from somebody I don't remember. The point was that the guy was trying to show off everything in the game and convince his viewers to get it, because he liked it so much. He was actually kinda competent. It pretty much sold me that LPs are a great way to introduce people into games they've never heard of or genres they could never get into.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

My interest in LPs goes back when I used go to a site that posted videos walkthroughs for getting 360 achievements (I forgot the name of the site though), and most of the time the walkthroughs would have the player using post-commentary for highlighting specific problem areas and how to go about getting pass them.

Unfortunately, my first exposure to something labeled as an 'Let's Play' was PDP's Amnesia LP. I had just finished Amnesia myself and was interested in seeing how other people reacted to certain parts of the game, and his just so happened to be the first one I saw. (Along with that HeyJayLet'sPlay guy that got retsupuraed.)

I didn't know that LP was anything other than be wacky while playing games until I saw the TheRadBrad retsupurae, and afterwards watched Slowbeef's Snatcher LP. So, basically I have TheRadBrad Retsupurae to thank for discovering better LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

DialTheDude posted:

I hate getting back to DSP, but this just got posted. The guy who made it (who also posted a similar video earlier) seems to understand that the plane of existence that Phil operates on has to be some form of satire, so he puts him and his behavior into a Sitcom format. The result is just amazing, and the detail is astounding. Everything down to the video game figurines in his apartment is beautiful. It's also a play on that thing Microsoft did paying off channels who talked positive about the Xbox One earlier this year.

Holy poo poo, DasBoSchitt is still making videos? This is the exact same guy that did the GMod Idiot Box back in the da-

holy poo poo he's STILL MAKING THE GMOD IDIOT BOX. That is incredible, I thought he would have gotten bored with it years ago.

• Locked thread