Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ariza posted:

I am renting a 3 bedroom 2 story house with a lawn and a deck and I pay ~$200 a year for renter's insurance and I got a discount on my car insurance for using the same lady. It's insane how cheap it still is.

Yeah that's a good point. For my condo it's something like $120/year but it gave me a discount on my car insurance which actually lowered my cost for insurance.

So basically they're paying me to have renter's insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'm about an inch from requiring proof of renter's insurance from my renters, because I hate seeing bad things happen and them being out of luck. Every time someone signs a lease with me, I take time out to actually stop, put the pen and lease down, and level with them about it, and wait until they tell me out loud that they will at least consider buying a policy. I even put a handy list of providers and phone numbers in the move-in packets I give out. Things happen--someone might want your XBox, you might leave the stove on overnight, or heavy winds might blow a tree over onto your unit.

One gal was at work when her daughter got distracted cooking and burnt the house to the ground. Nobody was injured, but she wasn't insured. Literally lost everything. She told me she'd buy insurance the day she moved in. I reminded her when she called a week later about something. She just never did it :smith:

This wasn't one of mine, but a young couple I know had just moved into their first place together, having consolidated all their stuff, when some hooligans decided to break in. It was pretty easy for the thieves to make off with all the neatly-packed containers. These two, however, bought renter's insurance the day they got their keys, so were taken care of.

gently caress, I've been doing this long enough that I could tell stories to convince you that renter's insurance is a good idea all drat day, but it's time to complain:

Hey, Professor Jerkbag, don't dock us major points for formatting, spelling, and grammar errors in our papers when your loving Powerpoint slides look like they were designed and written by my neighbor's six-year-old kid :argh:

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
People at my university are so astoundingly lazy. I have a part-time job selling GO Bus tickets, but get a lot of confused students asking where to buy other tickets. Awesome, I love helping people.

HOWEVER, when I tell them they have to walk literally 2 minutes to another building, they will go "gently caress THAT'S SO FAR!" and ask if I can somehow make the tickets come to them. Other times I'll give them directions to get to the right bus (again, on campus like 2 minutes away) and they'll A) stand there staring at me for a long time B) get mad for some reason C) ask me to leave my job and walk them there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

Eh, it's okay. Way better than Desire 2 Learn, which is what my uni used to use. The only problem I have with Canvas is that it must be loving rocket science to get it to work, because every semester half my professors go on a rant during the first day about how they can't figure out how to get canvas working.

D2L is one of the worst goddamned programs I have ever seen. Every year they "update" the interface which, for all intents and purposes, makes it even less comprehensible. The administration is trying to push professors to use it so they don't look like idiots for signing the contract but, with a few exceptions, the only professors that actually use it put up a syllabus, some relevant pdfs, and a place to look at your grades. That's it, really. Even the few that do use it complain about it incessantly. It's notorious for assignments mysteriously vanishing, corrupting files, calculating grades wrong, or just flat out not working randomly. Combined with the fact that updates sometimes take it down for days at a time and always, always making it harder to use it absolutely blows my mind that somebody keeps looking at the system and thinking "This works properly. We shoudl stick with it."

I'm a senior now and have had maybe two classes that actually used it for tests and quizzes, ever. Less than half of my classes use it at all. I've never heard a professor say "D2L is good, I like D2L, I don'w know why so few professors use it." Even the ones that use it don't like it all that much.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
This isn't a complaint really but something that amuses me I guess. It seems whenever a students phone rings in class something trips in their brain and they forget how to silence it without flipping out, maybe dropping it, and making a huge scene. Not once have I seen a classmate silence a ringing phone without making themselves look like they have no idea what the thing making noise is and their scared.

If it's a professors phone they'll slowly take it out of their pocket, stare at it for five seconds, and put it back into their pocket. Still ringing.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

D2L is one of the worst goddamned programs I have ever seen. Every year they "update" the interface which, for all intents and purposes, makes it even less comprehensible. The administration is trying to push professors to use it so they don't look like idiots for signing the contract but, with a few exceptions, the only professors that actually use it put up a syllabus, some relevant pdfs, and a place to look at your grades. That's it, really. Even the few that do use it complain about it incessantly. It's notorious for assignments mysteriously vanishing, corrupting files, calculating grades wrong, or just flat out not working randomly. Combined with the fact that updates sometimes take it down for days at a time and always, always making it harder to use it absolutely blows my mind that somebody keeps looking at the system and thinking "This works properly. We shoudl stick with it."

I'm a senior now and have had maybe two classes that actually used it for tests and quizzes, ever. Less than half of my classes use it at all. I've never heard a professor say "D2L is good, I like D2L, I don'w know why so few professors use it." Even the ones that use it don't like it all that much.

Eeeek, D2L is terrible. I know one professor that really uses it the way it was intended. The rest just throw the syllabus up on it (likely because they were told to do so) and don't bother updating attendance or grades.

And, speaking of dumb software, I was shocked to learn that at least some state universities are still using loving turnitin.com, the "plagiarism detection service" that was the subject of so much controversy when I was finishing up my undergrad degree years ago. For those not in the know, it's a private company that your university will sign a contract with who essentially googles your papers and spits out a report on how much of your work can be found verbatim online. It also stores a copy of your paper in its database and checks all future papers against it. loving wonderful. I didn't earn a dime writing my midterm research paper but some company gets to profit off of it indefinitely because my professor can't be bothered to check for plagiarism by hand if he's so goddamn concerned about it?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I had a professor in JC call me in to his office to accuse me of plagiarizing...my own work. I had turned in the same paper for two separate classes. The conversation went like this:

Professor: "You plagiarized this paper by A White Guy."
Me: "Good thing I am A White Guy, huh?"
Professor: "Oh...uhhh.."

He still gave me a zero on the assignment, but I still passed with an A in the class. In retrospect,I should've gone to the dean. I get that stealing your from your own papers is both bad form and highly uncool in published academia, but I really doubt anyone gives a poo poo about the stuff I write for my lower division undergrad.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

A White Guy posted:

"Good thing I am A White Guy, huh?"

There is a joke to be made here.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Most schools have something in their academic dishonesty policy that says you're not allowed to submit the same work for multiple academic requirements (without permission). If your school is typical then it's more than just "bad form" or "highly uncool".

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Hummingbirds posted:

People used to punch out the lightbulbs in the elevators at my dorm. Honors students are the loving worst to live with because they were sheltered at home and suddenly have a bunch of freedom that they can't handle.

Once someone even peed in the elevator. That was gross.

I lived in an honor dorm once, apparently some students got really drunk one night and managed to tear off one of the metal handrails inside the dorm elevator. The one that's bolted to the elevator wall.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

A White Guy posted:

I had a professor in JC call me in to his office to accuse me of plagiarizing...my own work. I had turned in the same paper for two separate classes. The conversation went like this:

He still gave me a zero on the assignment, but I still passed with an A in the class. In retrospect,I should've gone to the dean. I get that stealing your from your own papers is both bad form and highly uncool in published academia, but I really doubt anyone gives a poo poo about the stuff I write for my lower division undergrad.

Perhaps you should have taken your sorry rear end to the dean; maybe then you'd have gotten what you really deserve--after s/he finished laughing in your face--you lazy sack of academically-dishonest crap.

Also, nth-ing the "clean the bathrooms over the weekend, goddammit!" complaints. I totally recognize that everybody's entitled to some time off, ideally over the traditional weekend. However, it's not like us students magically disappear for 2 days a week - we still live here and poo poo still goes down (often literally) from Friday PM to Monday AM, especially considering that it's college, after all. It's ridiculous to not be able to take care of people living somewhere 24/7 for two-sevenths of the time. Should hotels also just not clean anything on the weekends (or any given 2 days out of the week) out of respect for cleaning staff or something? Even THAT wouldn't be as ridiculous, because you could still shuffle rooms around (rooms where people have their own bathrooms!), unlike where dozens of immature shits have to share the same facilities. Again, I'm not saying staff should be slaves every day of the week, but it's simply unrealistic and even somewhat inhumane to let people's living conditions go to utter poo poo (again quite often literally) for days at a time.
On an all-male floor freshman year, we had 4 standard toilets - 2 devoted to being urinals, 2 as shitters. By Friday night or Saturday AM at the latest, at least 2 out of the 4 would be covered in unflushable mountains of "fecal lasagna" and vomit, with the remaining 2 merely entirely soaked in copious amounts of urine. At best.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

SimianNinja posted:

Perhaps you should have taken your sorry rear end to the dean; maybe then you'd have gotten what you really deserve--after s/he finished laughing in your face--you lazy sack of academically-dishonest crap.

drat dude, did a plagiarist kill your mom?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SimianNinja posted:

Again, I'm not saying staff should be slaves every day of the week, but it's simply unrealistic and even somewhat inhumane to let people's living conditions go to utter poo poo (again quite often literally) for days at a time.
On an all-male floor freshman year, we had 4 standard toilets - 2 devoted to being urinals, 2 as shitters. By Friday night or Saturday AM at the latest, at least 2 out of the 4 would be covered in unflushable mountains of "fecal lasagna" and vomit, with the remaining 2 merely entirely soaked in copious amounts of urine. At best.

Honestly I consider this more the fault of the residents then the cleaning staff or their scheduling. If you can't act like grown-ups and treat your facilities with respect, why do you even deserve them? Go poo poo in the woods like the animals you seem so keen on imitating.

And yeah I realize that this is 20% of the dorm's population harming the remaining 80% who can go to the bathroom without leaving a disaster site in their wake, but how about some rules to enforce punishment for acting like a shithead? Drunkards were treating our lobby/first floor bathrooms so badly on weekends that our campus police department posted an officer there Thursday through Saturday night. If you even so much as touch a poster or throw a bag on the ground or whatever they write you a vandalism citation right loving there. It's draconian yeah, but if people insist on acting like children, you have to supervise them like children. :colbert:

Sydin has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Mar 12, 2014

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

SimianNinja posted:

Also, nth-ing the "clean the bathrooms over the weekend, goddammit!" complaints. I totally recognize that everybody's entitled to some time off, ideally over the traditional weekend. However, it's not like us students magically disappear for 2 days a week - we still live here and poo poo still goes down (often literally) from Friday PM to Monday AM, especially considering that it's college, after all. It's ridiculous to not be able to take care of people living somewhere 24/7 for two-sevenths of the time. Should hotels also just not clean anything on the weekends (or any given 2 days out of the week) out of respect for cleaning staff or something? Even THAT wouldn't be as ridiculous, because you could still shuffle rooms around (rooms where people have their own bathrooms!), unlike where dozens of immature shits have to share the same facilities. Again, I'm not saying staff should be slaves every day of the week, but it's simply unrealistic and even somewhat inhumane to let people's living conditions go to utter poo poo (again quite often literally) for days at a time.

I do not understand these complaints. Clean up after yourselves? Don't make such a terrible mess in the first place? If you're in university you should not have to depend on other people to do these things for you. Obviously I've never studied in America so there might be something other than you all being gross, but in the UK we didn't get cleaners and managed to keep the place livable. How many people live on an 'all-male floor'?

(Also not aiming this specifically at you, but I just can't believe how there are complaints about this)

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Stargate posted:

I do not understand these complaints. Clean up after yourselves? Don't make such a terrible mess in the first place? If you're in university you should not have to depend on other people to do these things for you. Obviously I've never studied in America so there might be something other than you all being gross, but in the UK we didn't get cleaners and managed to keep the place livable. How many people live on an 'all-male floor'?

(Also not aiming this specifically at you, but I just can't believe how there are complaints about this)

Most college kids that live in dorms have never had to clean up after themselves in any way and as such they live like animals and expect everyone else to clean up after them. It might be due to the fact that their parents are paying outrageous sums of money for them to live in dorms. It may be cultural, because my first apartment when I was 18 was covered in liquor bottles, naked girls, and cigarette burns and I was kicked out of college by that point. Maybe it's an endemic problem like why our murder rate is so much higher than any other country when compared against our per capita incomes. Whatever it is, go to a public restroom in an American rest stop and compare it against a similar rest stop in Canada or Europe (in my experiences) and you'll see that we never really grow out of it.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Ariza posted:

Most college kids that live in dorms have never had to clean up after themselves in any way and as such they live like animals and expect everyone else to clean up after them. It might be due to the fact that their parents are paying outrageous sums of money for them to live in dorms. It may be cultural, because my first apartment when I was 18 was covered in liquor bottles, naked girls, and cigarette burns and I was kicked out of college by that point. Maybe it's an endemic problem like why our murder rate is so much higher than any other country when compared against our per capita incomes. Whatever it is, go to a public restroom in an American rest stop and compare it against a similar rest stop in Canada or Europe (in my experiences) and you'll see that we never really grow out of it.

Exactly. It should be noted my own stories took place at a rather pricey, smallish college - there were certainly tons of privileged youths away from mommy and daddy for the first time (and supported entirely by same). I agree in thinking it's more endemic to society at large - "Why bother taking care of places and cleaning stuff up when eventually other people will do it for you?" :smith:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

A White Guy posted:

I'm pretty sure that using the same paper for 2 classes is considered plagiarism by a lot of colleges. I had to take several online courses on academic integrity for my college and I believe I remember one section mentioning it.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Stargate posted:

I don't know where you went to uni, but we definitely had cleaners in our halls, and they also mysteriously disappeared during the weekends.

They did quite enjoy coming into my room at about half 8 on a Thursday morning to hoover around my mess and make sure that hangover was extra awful, but at least my room was occasionally cleaned.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sydin posted:

Honestly I consider this more the fault of the residents then the cleaning staff or their scheduling. If you can't act like grown-ups and treat your facilities with respect, why do you even deserve them? Go poo poo in the woods like the animals you seem so keen on imitating.

And yeah I realize that this is 20% of the dorm's population harming the remaining 80% who can go to the bathroom without leaving a disaster site in their wake, but how about some rules to enforce punishment for acting like a shithead? Drunkards were treating our lobby/first floor bathrooms so badly on weekends that our campus police department posted an officer there Thursday through Saturday night. If you even so much as touch a poster or throw a bag on the ground or whatever they write you a vandalism citation right loving there. It's draconian yeah, but if people insist on acting like children, you have to supervise them like children. :colbert:

So it should be my job to clean up after the assholes who don't even live here who sprayed shaving cream over every visible surface in the washroom?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Austrian mook posted:

So it should be my job to clean up after the assholes who don't even live here who sprayed shaving cream over every visible surface in the washroom?

No, I'm saying it's stupid to complain about the scheduling of cleaning services instead of the repeated destruction of bathroom facilities, and that the solution isn't to drag the cleaning staff in on weekends, but rather to put a stop to the stupid behavior causing the mess. If you're repeatedly getting cut up each week by the same guy with the same knife, why wouldn't you complain about that instead of how it's terrible that it takes so long for somebody to come and apply a band-aid for you?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sydin posted:

No, I'm saying it's stupid to complain about the scheduling of cleaning services instead of the repeated destruction of bathroom facilities, and that the solution isn't to drag the cleaning staff in on weekends, but rather to put a stop to the stupid behavior causing the mess. If you're repeatedly getting cut up each week by the same guy with the same knife, why wouldn't you complain about that instead of how it's terrible that it takes so long for somebody to come and apply a band-aid for you?

If only there was one guy who I could single out. :smithicide:

It's literally almost every person in the residence building. They all go floor to floor every weekend destroying everything.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zeether posted:

I'm pretty sure that using the same paper for 2 classes is considered plagiarism by a lot of colleges. I had to take several online courses on academic integrity for my college and I believe I remember one section mentioning it.

I really don't understand this. If your own work can meet the requirements for two assignments, why the hell shouldn't you be able to use it more than once? Maybe classes shouldn't overlap so much that that even works in the first place? Considering the cost per hour at most colleges, I'd be pretty pissed if two classes overlapped so much that I could pull that off.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Austrian mook posted:

If only there was one guy who I could single out. :smithicide:

It's literally almost every person in the residence building. They all go floor to floor every weekend destroying everything.

I hear you there. Like I said, the problem was so bad at my dorm they actually posted a loving cop.

paragon1 posted:

I really don't understand this. If your own work can meet the requirements for two assignments, why the hell shouldn't you be able to use it more than once? Maybe classes shouldn't overlap so much that that even works in the first place? Considering the cost per hour at most colleges, I'd be pretty pissed if two classes overlapped so much that I could pull that off.

How much this is enforced seems to vary from professor to professor. A friend of mine got nailed for it, but the one time I had this happen I actually went to my professor's office hours, explained that I'd written a paper for another class that semester that was almost identical to the one he wanted from me, showed him the paper, and asked if I could use it as a basis for his paper. He was completely fine with it as long as I didn't just give him the exact same paper, and it saved me a lot of work.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sydin posted:

I hear you there. Like I said, the problem was so bad at my dorm they actually posted a loving cop.

We have on the clock security for the weekends, whose only job is to break up parties. It doesn't work.

Uottawa is a pretty crazy university.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

paragon1 posted:

I did this a lot, never imagining that anyone would have a problem with it. If I wrote a paper that fulfills all the requirements what does it matter when I wrote it? Either assignments should be unique enough that I can't do it, or material should progress enough that something I wrote last year doesn't cut it anymore.

Granted I did this mostly in junior high and high school and I moved around a lot. I definitely gave the same speech in 3 different English classes and had a few science projects pull double duty.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

While an argument about autoplagiarism is interesting in itself I'm more interested in two different courses that have assignments so similar it's A Thing.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Boiled Water posted:

While an argument about autoplagiarism is interesting in itself I'm more interested in two different courses that have assignments so similar it's A Thing.

In undergrad, in one semester I took a survey of European history course where I had to write a paper contrasting two art movements of my choosing, and a landscape architecture class where I had to write about the difference between English and French garden design. I could've submitted the same paper for both; it's pretty easy for completely different classes offered by different departments to end up touching on the same material.

Autoplagiarism is an honor code violation because when you're given an assignment, it's assumed you're doing new, original scholarship to complete it. Dusting off something from a prior semester doesn't count, because you're not learning anything new by doing that.

The Chairman has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Mar 13, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Boiled Water posted:

One of my political theory (a political science course) students tried submitting a paper on Locke that he'd written for a philosophy class the same semester. Technically, it met all of my requirements, but, ignoring the university's policies on plagiarism for a second, I really just didn't feel comfortable setting a precedent by accepting it. Yes, he did write the paper, but he'd already used it. I likened it to not being able to cash the same check twice. He understood the issue after we spoke about it and he elected to just write a whole new paper rather than attempt to re-tool the existing one.

Plagiarism-detectors really irk me for lots of reasons, but one thing that almost bit me in the rear end as an undergrad was that turnitin.com was in its infancy and wasn't refined enough to tell the difference between plagiarism and coincidence. If 350 students are all using the same translation of Plato's works and we are assigned a paper wherein we have to explain the shadows-on-the-wall-in-the-cavern allegory, there is gonna be some overlap, especially if dozens of other institutions are teaching from the same text and your database contains all of their papers.

*ding* Warning, Fai's paper contains sentences used in the following other works:

Seriously, how many PHIL 101 papers do you think start off with the sentence "Plato's cave allegory explains that..."

Also you kids are gross, stop loving up your bathrooms and complaining that the cleaning staff won't be in until Monday. Why should they come in on Saturday morning to clean up your poo poo, vomit, and pube trimmings to have to come in and do it all over again on Sunday morning?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Regarding cleaning staff on weekends, how hard is it to contract out to a local company to come in and clean for some extra cash? Hell, the original company could just hire someone to work part-time on weekends or even better, just rotate shifts so someone works wednesday-sunday and then back again. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Malkamar
Mar 15, 2009
MY DEAD HUSBAND WAS FULL OF SHIT

Boiled Water posted:

The course I'm taking right now (US Lit to 1865) is a carbon copy of one I took last semester (Literature in the US I). Same professor, extremely similar assignments, nearly-identical readings. The only reason I'm even taking US Lit to 1865 is because it's the only course offered this semester that fulfills a degree requirement - which is kinda important since I'm graduating in May.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Here's something many people might not have considered about the weekend cleaner issues:

Schools are cheap as poo poo and don't give a gently caress about student happiness in dorms.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There seems to be a lot of bathroom chat and there are a few things that factor into it.

First off, the bathrooms are often public in the dorms. As in, there will be one big bathroom for every dozen rooms. Getting a private bathroom is unheard of in typical dorms. I'm sure we've all seen the horrors that public bathrooms everywhere turn into. That's because there is that small sector of the population that thrives on making GBS threads on things that other people need to use. Pair that with 18 year olds that are not quite old enough to really know better and have often been very sheltered. These are often also upper middle class white kids that have never been in trouble for anything. They don't know that actions have consequences because their actions never have.

Second off, our society looks down on people that clean things for a living. They are not people with lives and jobs they are the scum of the earth that have to do lovely, menial work because they made bad life choices. It's perfectly acceptable to force them to clean up gallons of vomit and mountains of poo poo while laughing about it because gently caress those poors.

Third off, our society has this weird idea that college is for partying. You aren't there to learn skills and prepare for your life in the real world you're there to get drunk a lot, be belligerent, and cause problems. It's party time so get really drunk, clog up the toilets, and make other peoples' lives miserable. Also remember what I said about "upper middle class white kids." Kids from non-poor families have the money to go home every weekend no matter how far away that is. They don't care that the bathrooms aren't getting cleaned every weekend because they won't even be there. Mix that with the previous two things and you have entitled white assholes that know what they're doing to everybody else living there and they laugh about it. See, people that don't go home every weekend are obviously poors that will be the ones cleaning the bathrooms for their children so hahahahaa YEAH gently caress THOSE PEOPLE.

This is why you have common situations like the dorm bathrooms getting flooded by poo poo water from the toilets every single Friday in some places. The dorms in the college I go to have all sorts of problems with stuff like that. If anybody dares to complain they're a square that hates fun. I've known people that have gotten jumped and had the poo poo beat out of them for trying to figure out who was doing it every week so they could turn them in.

It gets worse because colleges try to just hush up that this stuff goes on because it's bad P.R. Rather than actually fixing the problem it just gets swept under the rug.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

kazil posted:

Schools are cheap as poo poo and don't give a gently caress about student happiness in dorms.

FTFY
For clarity, I mean the administration of schools, not the individual instructors.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

The Chairman posted:

Autoplagiarism is an honor code violation because when you're given an assignment, it's assumed you're doing new, original scholarship to complete it. Dusting off something from a prior semester doesn't count, because you're not learning anything new by doing that.

It also gives you a massive advantage over other students in your class. Whilst they're working on that report you've already done, you're working on something completely different. Students are always competing against each other for good quality degrees.

Really, what should have been done is to tell the prof when you get the assignment, and they take a second to assign you something else. Anything else is academic dishonesty.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There seems to be a lot of bathroom chat and there are a few things that factor into it.

Well said. Only thing I'd add is that your RA's (floor babysitters) are usually also students that are getting paid/tuition waivers/both for keeping the peace. They usually fall into two categories--the power-hungry fascist RA that will have (unsanctioned) weekly room inspections, mandatory study time, and mandatory weekly meetings where he or she will just scream at you for an hour for being poo poo, and the ones who say to themselves "if I just keep my head down and ignore what the little monsters are doing, I might be able to get my schoolwork done." Most of them are in the latter category. Really, what can an RA do about a guy who stumbles into the dorms at 2:00 A.M. drunk as hell, pissing, making GBS threads, and vomiting everywhere short of calling campus security, which he or she will ultimately get in trouble for since the guy was misbehaving on his or her watch? Easier just to let him pass out in the shower and let the janitorial staff come clean it up on Monday.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I hear the responsibility thing a lot, but honestly at my university there was basically zero pressure on the RA's to do anything until very recently. All they would really do is organize social events for the floor and "resolve disputes" (ie: tell the offending parties to go to a conflict mediator on campus and then never follow up :downs:). I never really saw RA's take an punitive action, never saw them helping people out much, never really felt like they had a presence. The only RA who ever did more than the standard fair was the one I had second year, and that was only because he was quite quick to let anybody he thought looked 'cool' know that he'd disabled the smoke detectors in his room (because as an RA he does his own health & safety checks) and it was okay to come to his room to smoke weed. :doh:

The RA's only recently got put under heavy supervision to do their job properly because it turned out last semester there was a massive hate crime being perpetuated in one of the dorms where three white guys were restraining and beating up their only black roommate, and decorating their room with Hitler posters and swastikas. :stare: This went on for months, and among the many reasons identified for it going on that long was that their floor's RA had literally never done a single thing. No floor meetings, no health & safety checks, nothing. When it finally came out, he didn't even know they were living on his floor. Since then they've brought the hammer down on RA's big time and are forcing them to report their weekly activities.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And here all suites have their own bathrooms...

On the stupid RA topic, all the lights on the outside of the building failed last week (I think DST broke something). They had been out for at least 48 hours and it was dangerously dark, so when I asked the RAs about when they'd get fixed, they asked if I had sent in a goddamn work order. I shouldn't have to do jack, it's your loving job to alert facilities when something is wrong with the whole building!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sydin posted:

This went on for months

Jesus loving christ, I hope those little shits get kicked the gently caress out of school, and a moving bus, not necessarily in that order.

While we're on the subject of RA's, here's a STDH.txt story that really did happen: A friend of mine signed on to be an RA at a state university, and about halfway through his contract, he became an officer in his fraternity. He brought this up at the next big monthly meeting with his superiors (all the RA's in the building and the various admin overseeing them get together once a month to catch up on stuff) and was told to tough it out because he had signed a contract. "I can't," he said, "because I'm already essentially babysitting my (fraternity) brothers, and I really am unable to come home and babysit all these other kids." Again, they told him that was "too bad," and that his contract stipulated that the only way he could get out of it was to be let go for either not doing his job (which was impossible, because his job was essentially to be a warm body) or "conduct unbecoming."

He chose the latter. He walked calmly to the corner of the room, unzipped his fly, and peed on the floor of the commons area, right in the middle of the meeting.

He just barely avoided being ejected from the university, but got what he wanted.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Sydin posted:

last semester there was a massive hate crime being perpetuated in one of the dorms where three white guys were restraining and beating up their only black roommate, and decorating their room with Hitler posters and swastikas

Wait what. :stare:

Can you elaborate further on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Zeether posted:

Yeah, I know in some of the newer presentations and talks on plagiarism, self-plagiarism is a thing.

Edit: And holy poo poo at those dorm stories. The dorms I were at were just stupid new adults being stupid new adults. Though, seeing someone's mom come to do laundry for them was just kinda sad...

• Locked thread