Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Im pretty sure I've read all their stand alone stuff. No short storys other than Arulian (spelling) by ADB. I actually just finished Legion of the Damned, but I'll take a look at the other suggestion.

Blood and Fire by ADB is the follow-on to Helsreach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ed balls balls man posted:

Blood and Fire by ADB is the follow-on to Helsreach.

Also quite good at getting into the tensions between the Imperium/Inquisition and Space Marine chapters.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

VanSandman posted:

Also quite good at getting into the tensions between the Imperium/Inquisition and Space Marine chapters.

And/or the tensions between Grimaldus and everyone else.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Grimaldus is such an rear end, I love it.

"Get out of my city."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So Black Library & ForgeWorld's The Horus Heresy Weekender is March 17th & 18th. They annouunce a lot of new stuff then, so probably going to be a new publication schedule soon.

But I came here to post the fact that leaks are occurring. The biggest one is the Horus model

I want to see some high res images, but I like it so far

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
poo poo these are cool.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/HORUS_HERESY_CHARACTER_SERIES

Does anyone else want to buy them all?

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Is Knights of the Imperium (http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/knights-of-the-imperium-ebook.html) one of the short BL novels, or one of the full-length ones?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I require this.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

mdemone posted:

I require this.

Is it weird to anyone else he's bald? My mental image of Horus was pretty much Arthras (spelling?) from warcraft3.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Works fine for me. Arthas is just Elric anyway though, so that's why he looks that way.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Is it weird to anyone else he's bald? My mental image of Horus was pretty much Arthras (spelling?) from warcraft3.

Odd, ever since I can remember my mental image of Horus is without hair. Even before I started reading the Heresy novels. I'm not sure how or where or when I formed this image but the FW model is right in line with what I've always had in my head.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
My problem is that the flesh shading on that particular model/photograph is just a little bit too strong in the wrong places, making it look like he's got a fringe of auburn hair around the lower part of his skull, along with sideburns. It makes it seem like he's male-pattern bald rather than military shaved-head bald, which looks goofy. Fix that and the hairless head look would probably work fine for him.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Odd, ever since I can remember my mental image of Horus is without hair. Even before I started reading the Heresy novels. I'm not sure how or where or when I formed this image but the FW model is right in line with what I've always had in my head.

I wasn't aware of Warhammer before picking up Eisenhorn in the bookstore one day, so idk. Thats weird tho, Im pretty sure all the pictures ive seen of him have hair.

:goonsay: we are nerding the gently caress out about a dolls haircut lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I just linked you to one man, srsly.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

While waiting for the next Ghosts Omnibus, I noticed the space hulk game is on sale on steam. It looks like a remake.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

I just linked you to one man, srsly.

But he has hair!

E: i think i misunderstood your original comment >.<

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Nope the image Arquinsiel linked has Horus in all his baldness. What you see at the top of his head is shadow caused by the red LED lights of his armor.

The only other prominent figure, in that image, has hair and that's the emperor. Did you perhaps mean him?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Nope the image Arquinsiel linked has Horus in all his baldness. What you see at the top of his head is shadow caused by the red LED lights of his armor.

The only other prominent figure, in that image, has hair and that's the emperor. Did you perhaps mean him?

Oh poo poo, im an idiot. im on my phone and the window opened to Sanguinius on the ground and I assumed that was Horus due to the eyes on the armor :doh:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
This is the awesome new version of that old image:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I like how the Emperor has a face on that kneeguard. Just wailing away, protecting the Emperor's holy knee.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The oldest image I can recall of Horus is this, from one of the Realms of Chaos books:

So yeah, he's probably always been a baldie, but nothing screams evil like a bald man.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 13, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

And there is this:

I have seen some fan art of him with hair that looks good, but official artwork always has him shaved bald.

What I'm liking about the primarch series is that they are doing "normal" versions of the fallen primarchs now with armor and posing set up so that depending how you paint them they are still loyal, but they are working on full out "Chaotic" versions to come later in all their warp invested glory.

I wasn't a huge fan of Ferrus Manus or Fulgrim, but Lorgar, Horus and Angron have all been great.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JerryLee posted:

My problem is that the flesh shading on that particular model/photograph is just a little bit too strong in the wrong places, making it look like he's got a fringe of auburn hair around the lower part of his skull, along with sideburns. It makes it seem like he's male-pattern bald rather than military shaved-head bald, which looks goofy. Fix that and the hairless head look would probably work fine for him.

Could just be that it is a low res photo. It may even be a photo of a magazine shot. You look at their other models, they have a pro do them and they look pretty drat good

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I'm almost positive I've read him described as bald in one of the Horus Heresy books.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I've also always pictured him as bald. The very first HH book also describes him as being bald (but by the time that came out, lots of art had already drawn him that way).

The first HH book unfortunately, is the only book that actually has primarchs acting like the hyper-intelligent, enlightened individuals they are supposed to be (instead of emotional, over-grown children that punch things that disagree with them). Horus, despite being the Warmaster, shows lots of hesitation to actually fight people, and even though Abnett shows that he is very manipulative in how he uses his subordinates, he does it in a very intelligent manner.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I've also always pictured him as bald. The very first HH book also describes him as being bald (but by the time that came out, lots of art had already drawn him that way).

The first HH book unfortunately, is the only book that actually has primarchs acting like the hyper-intelligent, enlightened individuals they are supposed to be (instead of emotional, over-grown children that punch things that disagree with them). Horus, despite being the Warmaster, shows lots of hesitation to actually fight people, and even though Abnett shows that he is very manipulative in how he uses his subordinates, he does it in a very intelligent manner.

I feel Prospero Burns and Know No Fear do alright with it (the former mainly by showing very little of Russ, and all from the perspective of a man awed by him). I'd add Betrayer as well, but it deals with the two primarchs that are more emotion driven: the fatalistic Lorgar and... Angron.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Anonymous Zebra posted:

To be fair, Lorgar pre-Chaos absolutely is an emotional over-grown child who punches things that disagree with him.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

This is the awesome new version of that old image:

This is my new favorite Emp vs Horus picture. It's also the cover of the new Visions of Heresy hardcover, that I so badly desire.

Also, are those Terminator Custodes rushing in to help the Big E on the left?

Angry Lobster posted:

The oldest image I can recall of Horus is this, from one of the Realms of Chaos books:

This is the picture that started it all for me. I think this was also in the 2nd ed rulebook? Either way, hardcore adolescent warham nostalgia whenever I see it.

Fried Chicken posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of Ferrus Manus or Fulgrim, but Lorgar, Horus and Angron have all been great.

Ferrus Manus and Fulgrim look much better when they're put together. The only one that initially struck me as a little bit weak was Lorgar but I've come around to his model since it was released.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Ferrus Manus and Fulgrim look much better when they're put together. The only one that initially struck me as a little bit weak was Lorgar but I've come around to his model since it was released.
I was going by the assembled and painted ones at Forgeworld; do you have a link to these better ones?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

I was going by the assembled and painted ones at Forgeworld; do you have a link to these better ones?

Ya those are the ones I'm talking about. Ferrus and Fulgrims decorative bases fit together:

Edit: sorry, that's what I initially meant by "put together".

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 14, 2014

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
I'm glad that Ferrus isn't fighting with that weird giant wrench he had on the cover of Fulgrim.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
Not how I imagined Fulgrum. Granted I was imagining like Space Fabio or something that belongs on those dime store romance novels that lonely house wives read. Also I pictured his sword a bit more like a futuristic tribal weapon. Like one of those reverse Scimitars (the actual name escapes me> Kopashi?)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

EyeRChris posted:

Not how I imagined Fulgrum. Granted I was imagining like Space Fabio or something that belongs on those dime store romance novels that lonely house wives read. Also I pictured his sword a bit more like a futuristic tribal weapon. Like one of those reverse Scimitars (the actual name escapes me> Kopashi?)

That's the chaos corrupted fulgrim. Normal fulgrim should be quite pretty.

There was some thread on reddit that a guy drew all the primarchs. He have Fulgrim sideburns like he was at a NASCAR race

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Re: derivative video games, a shooter along the lines of Spec Ops: The Line could be awesome. Have your character be in charge of a bunch of Imperial Guardsmen, as you fight and die across some horrible hellscape. Everything turns even more to poo poo as you progress, you have to do horrible things and go crazy, and in the end you get executed by a commissar.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EyeRChris posted:

Khopesh. But a khopesh seems more suited to the Word Bearers - I would imagine Fulgrim to have a very elegant rapier.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Khopesh. But a khopesh seems more suited to the Word Bearers - I would imagine Fulgrim to have a very elegant rapier.

More really suited for the Thousand Sons, they are the Egyptian theme legion.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joe Videogames posted:

There was some thread on reddit that a guy drew all the primarchs. He have Fulgrim sideburns like he was at a NASCAR race

Joe Videogames posted:

That's normal/istavaan Fulgrim. Chaos corrupted versions are still to be released

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Chaos Fulgrim is a giant snake dude with four arms.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

Re: derivative video games, a shooter along the lines of Spec Ops: The Line could be awesome. Have your character be in charge of a bunch of Imperial Guardsmen, as you fight and die across some horrible hellscape. Everything turns even more to poo poo as you progress, you have to do horrible things and go crazy, and in the end you get executed by a commissar.

Wasn't Fire Warrior basically this, but with Tau?

edit: *and awful.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Fried Chicken posted:

And there is this:

Going from Right to Left:

Fulgrim, Horus, Unknown, Unknown, Jaghatai, Unknown, Magnus, Mortarion, Sanginous

Who are the rest? I thought there were only 7 present at Ullanor according to Scars?