Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

City builder game, recently released, allows for mods, maintained by a one-person game studio.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608050
He has my 20 or dollar or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Keetron posted:

City builder game, recently released, allows for mods, maintained by a one-person game studio.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608050
He has my 20 or dollar or whatever.

It's not a bad game, but there are some glaring flaws with the agent system that will annoy you once you run across them; like laborers insisting they need to drop resources at a stock yard on the other side of town instead of a job site right next to them that requires those resources. Trade posts being exploitable to the point of breaking the game is another thing altogether. Then there's the lack of any cosmetic items making towns pretty bland, but I imagine those will get added at some point. There's more, but like you said, for a 1 man studio it's a pretty good effort.

That said, I still had a couple hours of fun with it until I learned how to break the economy in my favor. It clearly has a ways to go before I'd call it finished though, and I'd be hesitant to say it's worth the 20 bucks in it's current state honestly.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Does anybody have some tips on developing realistic industrial parks in the game ? I've kind of grasped a lot of the philosophy of realism and proper city design for commercial and residential zones, and breaking away from the grid; but I'm a little lost for industrial parks.

I'm not afraid of mods or dependency hell, I'm too far gone already.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Poizen Jam posted:

Does anybody have some tips on developing realistic industrial parks in the game ? I've kind of grasped a lot of the philosophy of realism and proper city design for commercial and residential zones, and breaking away from the grid; but I'm a little lost for industrial parks.

I'm not afraid of mods or dependency hell, I'm too far gone already.

For cool little towns and villages I always put small areas of relatively clean industry right next to light commercial and residential, for big cities I put them apart a little and usually near a harbor, with relatively gridlike streets, though not quite a grid.

Simcity has taught us to separate industry from everything else because of the rather excessive way it handles pollution, but in real life a factory is often just a building along a main road, often a single isolated building rather than vast stretches of factories. It makes for a more decentralized infrastructure if you just put (high tech) industry in various smaller spots across town rather than in a single place, which tends to spread out traffic more.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 12, 2014

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of advice I wanted. I always gravitated toward locating my industry near major transit hubs like railroads and sea ports but I never really grasped what shape to do the roads or how much green space to leave in industrial parks. Irregular polygonal roads in major industrial parks, and multiple isolated small industrial parks and factories does seen a lot more realistic.

Also I've realized a big component of realistic city design that the regular game neglects- you need to be quite liberal with above ground parking because suburban strip malls and industrial parks kind of look wrong without them. None of the lots provide a realistic amount of parking for themselves.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 12, 2014

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
The nature of industrial parks etc will also change depending on the age of a city. In most cities I have lived in you get a bit of a mish mash towards the centre where everything is a bit older. Old warehouses have been converted or knocked down for housing but there are still small pockets of industrial buildings.

Then on the edges you get the more recent developments (lets say the last 15 years) and you see discrete pockets. There will be some green space just around the edge of the main city with an off ramp from a highway that leads to an industrial park or to a cookie cutter suburb.

At least that's they way it seems to be in Australia. Your country may vary.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's generally a good idea to open google earth, find an industrial area (or whatever youre trying to build) near your house and see what it looks like from above.

I'm not playing this game right now, but when I play it again I'd like to build a 1930's Sheffield-like place with dirty industry close to housing, everything jumbled together. Dirty industry is difficult to build right and use realistically, also because building a dirty city is more difficult than a clean high tech one in terms of tax money and stuff.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 13, 2014

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I installed the Old Fashion pack v3, and I am using the map from the op that is supposed to be compatible with it. Any idea why the game loads the map looking fine as if it were rendered with the mod working, but when all the trees disappear when I load a city? If I save, the water changes back to the default like the mod isn't working.

e: I am also not seeing the RHW stuff. Is something borked?

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 7, 2014

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Just saw on the Mac App store Sim City 4 Deluxe. Looks as though its been updated and no longer requires Rosetta support to run on OS X. Hopefully it won't implode dealing with a few mods.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

As far as I can tell, the new Mac version of SC4 won't implode from mods, simply because it won't run them at all. I can't even get it to properly import old region files. The game still thinks its looking for a Windows file structure when you do the Control+Shift+Alt+R command to load a region. Won't even try to look for anything.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

But, but, but... I thought I could finally get home! :(

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I am an idiot, and realized I did not let the .rar fully unpack :downs:

Is there any way to fully remove the hd terrain mods (water, mountain tops, etc) and just keep the plopable trees without screwing up oldfashioned2 or 3? I did the recommended fix in the op to remove the terrainmod folder to force it to run on software mode, and this piece of poo poo comp still totally drags. Killing the entire Terrain Stuff folder just causes the game to freeze when loading any city (I have all clean maps so I'm not loading something that was already saved)

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

SaturdayKnight posted:

As far as I can tell, the new Mac version of SC4 won't implode from mods, simply because it won't run them at all. I can't even get it to properly import old region files. The game still thinks its looking for a Windows file structure when you do the Control+Shift+Alt+R command to load a region. Won't even try to look for anything.

UPDATE: According to some chaps on SC4Devotion it can run mods although NAM requires a little fiddling, and removing the option for custom bridges.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Did they mention how to run anything, but anytime I try and load anything, even stuff as simple as another map, nothing but crashes.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Note: Simtropolis, not SC4Devotion.

This thread has shown some promise. A few people have reported some bugs but thankfully there's one or two guys trying to find solutions to the problems. After playing around with the vanilla download for a while I'm about to start trying some old favourite plugins and see what I can get to work and what may cause my rig to explode. I will note that the standalone product runs beautifully. I used to have the windows version running through a WINE shell but after a few months it unexpectedly hit a wall and I've never been able to get it working since, so the Mac update was a lovely surprise for me and it works even better than I had it running with WINE.

EDIT: NAM not looking great at the moment but a member of the team has said they're now looking at reintroducing NAM for Mac (possibly) after having a good look at the re-release.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 15, 2014

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

Looks like the arcologies are back :monocle:

It has over 1.7 million residents, making it the largest city I've ever built in SC4. It's polluted, crowded, has high crime, and the healthcare sucks, but the public transit is great!

The region view:

Up the river, to a smaller city:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 18, 2014

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Rah! posted:

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

Amazing shot! Really feels like a city.

What a great region Rah!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Has anyone had it where a zone tool just "breaks"? I can't build industrial zones anymore... I map out the yellow tiles, but there are no arrows on them and nothing grows.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Has anyone had it where a zone tool just "breaks"? I can't build industrial zones anymore... I map out the yellow tiles, but there are no arrows on them and nothing grows.

Industrial zones don't have arrows. Unlike commercial and residential zones, industrial zones only need a single tile to be touching a street in order to grow. As for why you're not seeing any growth...maybe there's just no demand? Have you checked the power and water supply too? Try lowering taxes too. That said, once my cities get large enough (a few hundred thousand residents) i find that it takes forever for new industrial stuff to grow, even if there's demand.

benzine posted:

Amazing shot! Really feels like a city. What a great region Rah!

Thanks! I still have a lot to build though, I've barely even started yet on suburban and agricultural areas. I'm thinking the region will hit 5 million residents by the time I'm done with it.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

Rah! posted:

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

Looks great. Using a mod pack or your own mishmash?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Baby Cakes posted:

Looks great. Using a mod pack or your own mishmash?

I downloaded a mod pack a couple years ago from the old SC4 thread, and have been adding stuff ever since (4.5 GB so far).

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
Any you've added that you would recommend? Since the Mac version is out a buddy of mine is going to start playing so I'm going to get the itch to build another region.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nice job with the projects, I've always had trouble getting a mass of them to grow like that.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
If I remember correctly GF, you once wanted to remove the wind power plant grass. And for the rest I also don't like it but there is a fix.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29168-wind-power-plant-no-grass-mod/

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

benzine posted:

If I remember correctly GF, you once wanted to remove the wind power plant grass. And for the rest I also don't like it but there is a fix.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29168-wind-power-plant-no-grass-mod/

Thank you! That's always annoyed me to no end.

Grand Fromage's LP got me back in the game. I realised that I absolutely loved playing it for about two days, but then got burned out because everything looked the same. I started with the OldFashioned pack but removed it because it made the game crash too frequently. Instead I'm now opting to add a mod here and there when I need one or feel like it, which so far turned out great. I've got NAM, SPAM, a couple of PEG's work which is great because there's no hassle with dependencies and a few other bits and pieces and I'm having a ton of fun.

I've only just started to develop a region so I've only got a couple of small towns and one small city with some industry so far, but it's getting along quite nicely. I'll post some pictures later today when I'm playing.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Rah! posted:

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
*wall of screenshots*

Goddamn, man. How long'd it take you to make this? Every time I see an amazing SC4 city I feel like coming back to the game, but then I just kinda lose my drive after a few hours and end up uninstalling it.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Rah! posted:

I downloaded a mod pack a couple years ago from the old SC4 thread, and have been adding stuff ever since (4.5 GB so far).

That city looks great! :D
Any way you could upload that mod pack?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

As promised, here are some pictures of my region. As I said, I just started out, I'm a total noob and I don't have many plugins. I took the no plugins Fhuzo region and renamed it World and just started building:

My first city was Waterfront, which I'm probably not going to change much for the time being. I'm pretty satisfied with it as a small town based on agriculture and industry from the larger city to the south:

Here it is, in all its glory. There's a connection to Pebble by road and rail going south and a rail east to Railtown and Cradle.

There are farmlands to the north. I just noticed I have to replace the windmills with the no texture ones I downloaded today.

To the west are the suburbs where people live quite happily, away from everything, really.

Here's the city center. I'm guessing that because I've developed the neighboring regions since I last played there will be quite a bit more flats once I let it run for a little bit:

Next up is Railtown to the east. I´ll probably add some agriculture but I´ll leave it mostly as is until I feel like beautifying it a bit. It´s mostly there because I didn't want to have an empty city just to lay some rail.

Which leads to Cradle, the latest addition. I'm going to make this a dirty city. This and Pebble are both too square for my liking, but that'll probably change once I start developing them more.

The central hub of town, from which goods and people probably can't wait to depart this little shithole.

The city.

As you can see I've started experimenting a bit with some beautification, and I quite like it. I'll probably end up downloading tons of mods and just tinkering away with them.

Boring industrial area.

And now for the biggest city so far, Pebble, which I'm totally not satisfied with and might even just start over or redevelop drastically.

Suburbs to the north:

Residential area:

Industrial area:

Unobtrusive, experimental waste management at the literal edge of the world:

That's it. That's my work these last two or so days. I'm sure there's tons of things I could do better, tons of mods I should get and I'm open to any and all suggestions, but I feel that I'm definitely on the right track to developing World to a fully functional, bustling region.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Taeke, some mod suggestions: I've always found the night too bright for my taste so I use, simfox's mod that darkens the night
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23089-simfox-day-and-nite-modd/

If you don't like the water color, you can also change it, I use:
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27272-shk-brigantine-20/

If you're a rail fan, you can also add catenaries and change the skin of the locomotives.

So far looking good, liked the small HT industrial park.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Update on the SC4 re-release for Mac. Re: Mods.

Removed the bridge plugin for NAM, everything working peachy so far. After a two year absence I can finally get back to playing SC4 and it runs beautifully. Now I need to get out of this everything must be a grid rut.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Taeke posted:

I'll probably end up downloading tons of mods and just tinkering away with them.

Poor child of summer. You can understand this intellectually, but until you are sucked in yourself...

Anyway you and Rah! both have neat regions and it's making me want to play SC4 again!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Poor child of summer. You can understand this intellectually, but until you are sucked in yourself...

Anyway you and Rah! both have neat regions and it's making me want to play SC4 again!

Haha, yeah, I already kind of know what you mean. I spend an hour or so browsing and downloading random mods that seemed neat and didn't require too many dependencies and then started a new city away from the others too see what I could do with them. The goal is to create a self sufficient city inspired by a place like Naarden, although bigger:

Meet Evergreen.

As you can see, I've embraced the blocks. I started out more 'realistic' but gave up on that once I started using the canals and realised I can make it really pretty. It's not entirely symmetrical yet, but I do plan on making it a more perfect cross shape. I want to surround it with farmland until I can support high tech industry, at which point I'll add that and hopefully get a genuinely pretty and impressive city. I can already tell that traffic is going to be a problem with this setup, but I'm looking forward to solving those issues.

Here's the windfarm and a beginning of an irrigation system. I want to extend that to cover all the farms and I'll probably look up some real life photos to make it look realistic.

This is the most well developed area. You can see that this is the oldest part of town. Those canals aren't free of cost so I have to get some proper income first. The addition of services to my city delayed further development of the canals a bit, but I'm pretty close to returning to them.

Here is what I think will develop into downtown proper. I'll be placing the services here, it's the exact center of the city, and I think it will develop quite nicely.

Setting a goal for yourself and building towards something makes the game a lot more fun.
So that's basically it, right now, but I have high hopes for this city. I'll keep you guys updated.

benzine posted:

Taeke, some mod suggestions: I've always found the night too bright for my taste so I use, simfox's mod that darkens the night
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23089-simfox-day-and-nite-modd/

If you don't like the water color, you can also change it, I use:
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27272-shk-brigantine-20/

If you're a rail fan, you can also add catenaries and change the skin of the locomotives.

So far looking good, liked the small HT industrial park.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably add more railway stuff at a later date, but I've got some nice stations now which I'm satisfied with for now. I don't mind the night's brightness and I might change the water some other time but I dislike the way it messes up the region view, or at least, the way the water mod in the OldFashioned pack did.

Speaking of Cradle's industrial park, the city went through quite some growth and is now officially the largest city in the region with a whopping 33k inhabitants!

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
After starting the game I thought to try new mods.

So one that I never tried, are tree controllers, they change the Maxis tress in God Mode, to new ones. I used ARDEN, in this screenshot you can see the difference (old trees are up):

But this controller doesn't replace the trees from the buildings so I downloaded another mod to change them.

If you look closely the houses are growing better looking trees.

Edit: Some other images:

benzine fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 20, 2014

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I just got caught up on this thread and now I've got to fire up the ol' SimCity 4...
I've got a hugeass region that will take me forever to fill in and so far I've just started at a random spot in the middle and on an island on a corner. The only MOD I'm using so far is NAM and I'm debating on continuing to build at random spots along the landmass where I'd imagine settlers would make landfall and found new cities and then connecting the major metropolitan areas by rail or something else.

I like your planned-city schema, Taeke.
Whenever I build a city and its' neighbors I try to imagine the farmlands feeding the neighboring cities. It's always a challenge to build natural looking cities.

frogge fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 21, 2014

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Feeling an insatiable desire to get into Sim City 4 again. Only thing is that I don't know if I can handle spending another several hours crafting a region. Are there any random region-generating tools out there? I wish to paint my city across the canvas of nature.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

If you just want to get straight in there, the OP has a region that a lot of people like.

*PUNCH* posted:

Oh god just give me a pretty map to use

If you don't feel like wrestling with the mapmaker, a generous goon has created rendered and hosted this map. It is compatible with the Old-Fashioned pack due to the trees; your mileage may vary with other packs. It is around 10x10 large tiles, and is very pretty:

http://www.dieanothertry.de/files/Fhuzo.zip

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

There are so many regions for download it is not funny any more. One that this thread likes is the Fhuzo one in the OP, it is a zip that gives you all the parts directly in a region that has it all, mountains, water and plains. What is very entertaining is to see how the various players in this thread use the region so if you can add to that?

But yeah, you could download any of the 3198 vailable on simtropolis...
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/category/6-maps/

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

A small request. I've downloaded the Old Fashioned 3.0 pack and schorsch's Fhuzo region. Old Fashioned is requiring some tinkering as NAM needs a little bit of fiddling to running with the SC4D re-release on Mac, and something in the 'Everything Else' folder within the Old Fashioned pack is causing a crash to desktop for me. The problem I'm more worried about is I appear to be missing a dependency for trees which gives this humourous result in the Fhuzo region.

EDIT: Fixed the tree problem. Now to manually install each section of the Everything Else folder until I find what's causing CTD for me. I'm glad the Easter Bunny brought me Whisky.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 22, 2014

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

EDIT: Fixed the tree problem. Now to manually install each section of the Everything Else folder until I find what's causing CTD for me. I'm glad the Easter Bunny brought me Whisky.

Haha, glad you could resolve the missing tree. I've found SC4 is divided in three parts downloading stuff, getting the game to work and playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

You forgot stage four, punching walls because inexplicably the game stops working. One bug fix leads to two more bugs, and down the rabbit hole we go.

• Locked thread