Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Deklein wasn't entirely free, either. Goonfleet got given it because goonfleet had a lot of goodwill with TCF due to prior work and friendship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Otacon posted:

figured out how to make EVE a lot better

This has revolutionized my Eve experience.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pugnax posted:

See, I think I need to quasi-disagree on this. Is there a single other sizeable/space-important entity in Eve outside of GSF that has had particularly good leadership? I'm hard pressed to think of one. Maybe PL in it's own way, but that involves not having a hard leadership structure, so I don't think it counts. Montolio was great at doing what he did (namely building a wack-rear end, albeit large and strong, coalition) and keeping the line members occupied and entertained.
Don't think so much about the guy at the top. The most important part of the leadership is the structure underneath, all the guys who actually do the work. If they're unhappy and feeling poo poo upon, they're going to stop doing work and your alliance collapses. TEST did that all the time, people were routinely scapegoated for whatever went wrong. You can't let that kind of thing happen and think it's not weakening your team.

Goonfleet did well even way back when the CEO was a complete shithead. Remedial was dumb as hell, but the rest of the pyramid was pretty good and ran the war machine. And as I understand it Sesfan (#1) was a FC CEO who ran fleets and was pretty hands-off for everything else. Mittens' byline on TMC about liking delegation isn't a joke, it's a pointed instruction.

mikey posted:

e: I'm not ignoring that GSF was given Deklein for free
*Free with purchase of 5 years of undying friendship. I always love seeing grrr goons people complaining that we didn't "earn" our current position, as if TCF was holding a lottery for who got Dek when they shut down.

Innominate
Sep 2, 2004
The Innominate

deadtear posted:

Deklein wasn't entirely free, either. Goonfleet got given it because goonfleet had a lot of goodwill with TCF due to prior work and friendship

TCF didn't just all up and quit the game. Their alliance leadership collapsed, but the intact corps and many of the players had sufficient confidence in their old friends to join us. I like to think this is a decision we've since justified.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

pugnax posted:

I'm hard pressed to think of one. Maybe PL in it's own way, but that involves not having a hard leadership structure, so I don't think it counts.

NCdot has had basically the same leadership for the majority of its existence, with Because of Falcon/Wicked Princess hilarity being the only notable change.

White Aero is forever the canadian CEO of my heart.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Definately don't mean to come across as thinking that GSF was born with a silver spoon in it's little mandibles, or that I think the Man At The Top is the most important part of leadership. GSF has totally put a truly mind-boggling amount of effort into it's operations and you'd need to be clinically retarded to not be impressed by it.

I don't think that catering to brand new players should be the responsibility of every corp in Eve though. There are now a solid menu of options to choose from (Dreddit/GSF/Groon if you meet the cult requirements, BNI, Fweddit, RvB, EveUni, SS, Nexus, Enli-A, etc.) so having more corps out there with a medium/low experience requirement like Waffles makes a lot of sense to me, as it allows the training wing to focus on more intermediate skill development (FCing, doctrine design, manual piloting, logistics).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You're goddamn right I'm proud of being able to see my dick. gently caress you Blawrf.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Never let the (fox) Man keep you down Vyst.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Klyith posted:

*Free with purchase of 5 years of undying friendship. I always love seeing grrr goons people complaining that we didn't "earn" our current position, as if TCF was holding a lottery for who got Dek when they shut down.

Innominate posted:

TCF didn't just all up and quit the game. Their alliance leadership collapsed, but the intact corps and many of the players had sufficient confidence in their old friends to join us. I like to think this is a decision we've since justified.

Yeah, what a novel concept: If you reward your leadership and allies with loyalty and respect, you'll generally get that in return. TEST is what happens when you treat them like poo poo.

PL and NC. seem to understand this to some extent, and that's why they're still around. A giant supercap fleet is meaningless if your leadership is terrible, your FCs and logistics people have all burned out, and you've torched every diplomatic bridge in sight.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

:laffo:

It's all coming apart. They can't even get along with cute newbies.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Being in ENLI I guess this distracts me from what he means (I was never in TEST so I have little idea about what went on internally then) but whats "wrong" with ENLI?

We had some really high participation for the hell camp and Iv not really seen any drama so far between our members and anyone else.

Oh and of course I know about the "Kick ENLI" meme, I wasn't around for the start of it, but I kinda understand why it started "Test was bad", "We don't want ex test" ect.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm in a sharing mood.

quote:

Sent: 2014.03.12 00:53
To: Hendrick Tallardar,

you deleted some comments from this guest in mittani....he sent me screenshots of his posts...i think you should put them back up as it negates the integrity of the mittani.com if you dont....i am a gamer writer by the way....this is second mail i have about mittani which is supported by screens and logs....gamer news has to be impartial or it will collapse like a house of cards...what you doing man it giving us a bad name

Note that Mr. Real Games Journalist 1) didn't verify that I'm literally not a mod on TMC, 2) can't make a sentence without a lot of errors and 3) is blatantly someone's Hisec alt.

This is the poo poo I get in-game now. I used to get hate mail for scamming/suicide ganking :smith:

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Ice Fist posted:

:laffo:

It's all coming apart. They can't even get along with cute newbies.

You read the date I assume? :smithfrog:

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Uba Stij posted:

I'm in a sharing mood.

Note that Mr. Real Games Journalist 1) didn't verify that I'm literally not a mod on TMC, 2) can't make a sentence without a lot of errors and 3) is blatantly someone's Hisec alt.

This is the poo poo I get in-game now. I used to get hate mail for scamming/suicide ganking :smith:

Has to be far less fun this way.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Alexzandvar posted:

Being in ENLI I guess this distracts me from what he means (I was never in TEST so I have little idea about what went on internally then) but whats "wrong" with ENLI?

We had some really high participation for the hell camp and Iv not really seen any drama so far between our members and anyone else.

Oh and of course I know about the "Kick ENLI" meme, I wasn't around for the start of it, but I kinda understand why it started "Test was bad", "We don't want ex test" ect.

This is a six month old screenshot that I'm pretty sure is also fake.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Voyager I posted:

This is a six month old screenshot that I'm pretty sure is also fake.

Ah, apologies, didn't bother to check the date.

Blawrf
Oct 10, 2009

Hi, I'm Blawrf, and you can dock in my station anytime~~

Rowwr

vyst posted:

You're goddamn right I'm proud of being able to see my dick. gently caress you Blawrf.

:glomp:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alexzandvar posted:

Nah, we say Kick Enli the same way we say Kick Widot and Kick Merchi before you. Don't take it personal. :unsmith: Of course we also said Kick Battlestars and Kick LoveU, and actually meant it for them because they were loving horrible.

It would help if there were people in Enli who actually posted on the forums or something. That whole vow of silence thing your CEO has you on is getting kinda weird at this point. You can't possibly be worse than SMA.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Which member corps don't we want to kick?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Voyager I posted:

Kick 4S

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Voyager I posted:

BOS :colbert:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mikey posted:

Yeah, what a novel concept: If you reward your leadership and allies with loyalty and respect, you'll generally get that in return. TEST is what happens when you treat them like poo poo.

PL and NC. seem to understand this to some extent, and that's why they're still around. A giant supercap fleet is meaningless if your leadership is terrible, your FCs and logistics people have all burned out, and you've torched every diplomatic bridge in sight.

PL has the policy, which is basically part of why Waffles do what we do, that everyone should be competent enough to FC if the need arises. It's worked pretty well in terms of in-game fighting. The way PL, and even Waffles, are ran I can't comment on since I'm not a W-Dir nor in PL :smith:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Fun fact: I have spent enough time with SV that I have been confused for a BOS member.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Klyith posted:

Nah, we say Kick Enli the same way we say Kick Widot and Kick Merchi before you. Don't take it personal. :unsmith: Of course we also said Kick Battlestars and Kick LoveU, and actually meant it for them because they were loving horrible.

It would help if there were people in Enli who actually posted on the forums or something. That whole vow of silence thing your CEO has you on is getting kinda weird at this point. You can't possibly be worse than SMA.

It's because we don't want to feed any of the people who are actually serious about kicking us. Still we have had a big push to get people into squads and like I said Iv not seen any drama of whatever. The corp is also pretty close knit community, we help move each others stuff all the time and pride ourselves on helping newbies (Hence the whole ENLA thing).

So if you want to take the silence in some way, take it as we try to keep hurf blurf to a minimum.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Pioneer42 posted:

The only reason I stick it out with Dreddit even though it's nearly intolerable is because it is my EVE history, and the only other group I would even play this game with is you guys, and it's doubtful that could ever happen.

Not to put too fine a point on it but you have absolutely no clue how many old Dreddit guys are currently sitting in GSF (it's a lot).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ApocalypseMeow posted:

I haven't had trouble buying anything in station apart from skillbooks.

Just a tip you may not know: you are always able to set your clone to your school system. The NPC corp you were in when you first started playing. School stations have most skillbooks available, certainly most of the ones a newbie needs. So don't pay nulsec markup for skillbooks, just pod yourself back to school, inject all the books you want, and then pod yourself back home.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Give it a shot. Vyst seems to have a soft spot for people who were once bros with us and just happened to stick out a ride on the wrong boat. You post alright and I wouldn't fault you for not ditching your old community.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Not to put too fine a point on it but you have absolutely no clue how many old Dreddit guys are currently sitting in GSF (it's a lot).

I'm about as close to the edge as I've ever been.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Just a tip you may not know: you are always able to set your clone to your school system. The NPC corp you were in when you first started playing. School stations have most skillbooks available, certainly most of the ones a newbie needs. So don't pay nulsec markup for skillbooks, just pod yourself back to school, inject all the books you want, and then pod yourself back home.

:aaaaa:

fake edit: I have definitely not been podding myself to Jita and warping to 4-4 this entire time. :smithicide:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

pugnax posted:

You read the date I assume? :smithfrog:

:cripes:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

pugnax posted:

Actually, no, I'd like TEST to reform into a smaller, more focused, migrant entity with a focus on having fun and developing pilots.

Oh, you were one of those shitheads harping on about how TEST should slim down and become elite pvp space nomads huh? I felt pretty smug when you guys lost all of your space and were forced into lowsec.

So, how's the whole space nomad thing working out for you guys? Everything as awesome as you had hoped for?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

pugnax posted:

Actually, no, I'd like TEST to reform into a smaller, more focused, migrant entity with a focus on having fun and developing pilots.

Entities like this aren't very newbie friendly, and being newbie friendly is about the only thing TEST does right. I'm almost 100% certain that both BNI and ENLI don't exactly want to be feeder corps to a ~lean mean TEST alliance~

I won't disagree they should slim down, but the primary fat cutting should be at the top.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Entities like this aren't very newbie friendly, and being newbie friendly is about the only thing TEST does right. I'm almost 100% certain that both BNI and ENLI don't exactly want to be feeder corps to a ~lean mean TEST alliance~

I won't disagree they should slim down, but the primary fat cutting should be at the top.

Did right, past tense. At this point I wouldn't dare recommend a newbie to TEST, because of the toxic fuckers who infest that alliance. I would rather refer them to E-Uni.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

MisterOblivious posted:

Oh, you were one of those shitheads harping on about how TEST should slim down and become elite pvp space nomads huh? I felt pretty smug when you guys lost all of your space and were forced into lowsec.

So, how's the whole space nomad thing working out for you guys? Everything as awesome as you had hoped for?

He's in PL so I'm pretty sure the nomad thing is working out for him fairly well.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Alexzandvar posted:

It's because we don't want to feed any of the people who are actually serious about kicking us. Still we have had a big push to get people into squads and like I said Iv not seen any drama of whatever. The corp is also pretty close knit community, we help move each others stuff all the time and pride ourselves on helping newbies (Hence the whole ENLA thing).

So if you want to take the silence in some way, take it as we try to keep hurf blurf to a minimum.

Case in point: Moomin Amatin.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Doublestep posted:

He's in PL so I'm pretty sure the nomad thing is working out for him fairly well.

It's much easier to be a space nomad when you have an alt with a carrier than it is for say some 6 month old dude to truck all of his poo poo out to whatever wasteland your going to infest this week or alternatively just buy new ships there with money he probably doesn't have.

There's a reason space nomad works for PL and BL. There's also a reason it takes our orgs about half a week to move anywhere.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's much easier to be a space nomad when you have an alt with a carrier than it is for say some 6 month old dude to truck all of his poo poo out to whatever wasteland your going to infest this week or alternatively just buy new ships there with money he probably doesn't have.

There's a reason space nomad works for PL and BL. There's also a reason it takes our orgs about half a week to move anywhere.

It's ok. My corp is about as spacerich as PL or BL on a per-member basis, most of us have carriers and we have fantastic JF services. It takes us a minimum of 1 week of advanced notice and another half week of moving ops to move our most active pilots anywhere, and that leaves stragglers logging in for the next several months wondering where we all went.

So if your org of any size can manage to move in half a week, good on them.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am convinced I'm the only one in GSF who fly's a Bellicose, every time I bring it to out cattlecruiser fleets I'm the only one.

I have zero idea if this is a good or bad thing, but at least I'm on most every KM :toot:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's also much easier to be a space nomad when you own the largest renter alliance in the game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Clearly the answer is free carriers+skillbooks for everyone.

• Locked thread