Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Reductionism is kind of stupid, man.

Storyteller games use d10 :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Plutonis posted:

Storyteller games use d10 :rolleye:

who cares.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

pugnax posted:

I really like occasionally playing 4e in "delve mode", just as a straight dungeon crawler.

The new rules have preserve the ability to have complicated fights, but makes them very fast and it's easy to have many fights and cross a lot of territory over the course of a 3-4 hour session. I found that 3.x/4e both could really hit the mud pacing wise as there were so many specific rules and conditions.

Having playtested the last packet on Murder in Baulder's Gate, I can't imagine how the hell you managed to make combat fast in Next. It's about as fast as early levels in 4e, with the added complication of people playing combat in the most painfully conservative fashion imagineable because of how fragile characters are and how it's still a goddamned pain in the rear end to make a new character. Seriously, I'm at a loss to think of how!

pugnax posted:

The return to a focus on the theater of the mind (which encourages dm fiat) is really welcome imo.
Oh. :geno:

D&D Next: If you ignore a quarter or so of the rules it kinda(?) works!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

nah, you said they ONLY get to do their poo poo if even or odd. Nah they get to do poo poo and then have bonuses based on even odd. See, the difference there is they executive power regardless of whether the roll was even or odd and then get a small bonus if it was one or the other.

But of course you're stupid and can't make a decent point to save your life so keep tryin, kiddo :unsmith:

EDIT: Phone typing is hard.

I have not heard of this. are you just trying to get to 50? What's the goal of the roll?

You roll against one of your attributes, which start around 30 and can range up to about 60 or so unless you are super human. A hellish test for strength would be like trying to walk around in power armor that ran out of batteries.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
^^^Huh, that seems interesting. I'm not sure I could stand dealing 1d100 for every roll though. Does it always work in round 10's?

Ferrinus posted:

iirc a 5e fighter can take a bunch of extra attacks each encounter which beats the hell out of opaque damage die gambling or whatever other garbage

lol look at this kid. Can't even read the book or play the game.

Nihnoz posted:

here's the thing I like best about apocworld: 15 dudes is just +1 harm given and -1 harm taken. Every system should have something like that so you can fight 100 peasants or guards or whatever without it ebing a fuckin mess.

Eh, it's something that works in *World and in games where I don't wanna have to worry too much about anything I feel like I'd prefer it but sometimes I like to run dumb combat minigames or my players prefer that. Hell I've got one player that actively prefers 4E combat to anything else, mostly because he's a big fan of how FFTA and the like plays. While 4E is a bad example you can have more involved combat without it being a mess. Or at least too much of a mess.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 12, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
so, in conclusion, my assertion was wholly correct

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Eh, it's something that works in *World and in games where I don't wanna have to worry too much about anything I feel like I'd prefer it but sometimes I like to run dumb combat minigames or my players prefer that. Hell I've got one player that actively prefers 4E combat to anything else, mostly because he's a big fan of how FFTA and the like plays. While 4E is a bad example you can have more involved combat without it being a mess. Or at least too much of a mess.

It's more than you can scale things up really easily. Being able to say you're as good as 100 trained soldiers and actually prove it feels good, and it means you can give large numbers of followers as a class feature and have it be practical.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
i dont complain about dnd bc i played the dark eye when i was younger and that one was even worse

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

swamp izzo posted:

Which role playing system has combat that doesnt take forever.... And isnt DOg's In the Vine Yard

Double Cross, combat goes fast because you die in one hit and then get better as a free action.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

My dad told me once about how his party killed thousands of orcs in a single fight once they were all like level 11 or so.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

swamp izzo posted:

My dad told me once about how his party killed thousands of orcs in a single fight once they were all like level 11 or so.

Well yeah, Orcs is for baby adventures. By level 11 you should be in another weightclass. No amount of Orcs this side of The Population of Orctopia should stand in your way, you've got bigger problems to deal with.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
if you drank a beer you had to roll 3 dice on different stats to see how drunk it would make you

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

swamp izzo posted:

I like Fantasy flight games cause its 1d100 to do whatever you freakin want and if its something you're not supposed to do, you can do it anyways it will just be a hellish test at -60.

yeah, warhammer fantasy roleplay owns a lot even though combat is brutal as gently caress and you are lucky if you survive with only a few maimed limbs on the end on an encounter. i like what they did with the new star wars game too

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

swamp izzo posted:

Honestly I can't kill more than like 20 orcs before I get bored and pull out my gameboy.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

swamp izzo posted:

Sorry to hear about your retard dad's failure.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

Honestly I can't kill more than like 20 orcs before I get bored and pull out my gameboy.

http://boromir.toolness.org/

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i now wanna play dark heresy again, goddamnit

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Mystic Mongol posted:

You should buy your dad a gameboy for his birthday.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

Or a virtual boy. Maximize his ability to show boredom and disdain for the guy running the game.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Mystic Mongol posted:

that's why you treat the 1000 orcs as a single, large orc with a new kind of hp called morale or whatever

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
or you can have the orks literally combine like voltron

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
No I just think he needs something more fun than fighting thousands of orcs in D&D

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'm going to buy him South Park THe Stick of Truth if your curious.

Dec 26, 2012

Is it fascism yet posted:

i dont complain about dnd bc i played the dark eye when i was younger and that one was even worse

idk how its changed since then but blackguards which recently came out uses an adaptation of tde and the underlying system is incredibly obnoxious even with most of the noncombat stuff stripped out

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

that's why you treat the 1000 orcs as a single, large orc with a new kind of hp called morale or whatever

I prefer the term Grunts or Mooks. That way you can still spread them around and make them threatening by giving them multiple, if weak, attacks, but they still share a collective HP pool.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

swamp izzo posted:

I'm going to buy him South Park THe Stick of Truth if your curious.

stick of truth is p much a LARPing simulator except its not lame like LARPing

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Mystic Mongol posted:

No I just think he needs something more fun than fighting thousands of orcs in D&D

look dude. there are 1000 orks standing on each other's shoulders, so you have like foot orks and arm orks and stuff, the orks like flex to move. anyway they're forming the shape of a larger ork.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

just use swarm rules when you are at that point of campaign ffs

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Nihnoz posted:

look dude. there are 1000 orks standing on each other's shoulders, so you have like foot orks and arm orks and stuff, the orks like flex to move. anyway they're forming the shape of a larger ork.

(Don't run that module it is bad)

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Zeb The Moron.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

Okay, but am I allowed to paint this on a van?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Okay, but am I allowed to paint this on a van?

Pretty sure Gygax's headstone has a lil' printer that spits out C&D notices so he can relive the glory days of TSR in the afterlife.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

I still remember the horror that was the first D&D Next playtest, in which we fought 18 loving' rats, each of which had 4 HP and rolled 2d20 to attack and took the highest.

Like, this was the introduction to the NEW EXCITING GAME and they chose to make a DM roll 2d20 eighteen times, every round, to determine how much damage loving rats do.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gau posted:

I still remember the horror that was the first D&D Next playtest, in which we fought 18 loving' rats, each of which had 4 HP and rolled 2d20 to attack and took the highest.

Like, this was the introduction to the NEW EXCITING GAME and they chose to make a DM roll 2d20 eighteen times, every round, to determine how much damage loving rats do.

Watching 32d20 RATS and SAVE JIM happen was pretty great. Probably the most fun I've had with D&D Next

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gau posted:

why the gently caress would they make the rat infested cellar a part of the playtesting other than irony

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Watching 32d20 RATS and SAVE JIM happen was pretty great. Probably the most fun I've had with D&D Next

#iamnotenjoyingthisplaytest

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Plutonis posted:

why the gently caress would they make the rat infested cellar a part of the playtesting other than irony

Well they said "Hey lets make a D&D adventure!" and no one there has actually played any D&D since the TSR days so it was just as cliche as they could make it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Plutonis posted:

the least they could do is use an orc guarding a pie

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

the least they could do is use an orc guarding a pie

A bundle of orphaned Goblin babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Well they said "Hey lets make a D&D adventure!" and no one there has actually played any D&D since the TSR days so it was just as cliche as they could make it.

No it was literally just an appeal to people who liked Keep at the Borderlands because they just copied a piece of Keep on the Borderlands (the Caves of Chaos) and sorta-kinda updated the rules.

You could light things on fire in the adventure, but there were no rules for what fire did in the playtest rules.

• Locked thread