Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Request from the CEO: "Is there a way for you to set it up so patients/visitors/staff get free WIFI only after they "like us" on FB? "

Besides :suicide:, what else should I look into to make this happen?
Our "public" AP is connected to a DSL line 100% separate from our LAN, so segmentation or security are not a big concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Alfajor posted:

Request from the CEO: "Is there a way for you to set it up so patients/visitors/staff get free WIFI only after they "like us" on FB? "

Our "public" AP is connected to a DSL line 100% separate from our LAN, so segmentation or security are not a big concern.
Do you have a captive portal already?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Alfajor posted:

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2013/05/youll-like-this-cisco-meraki-wifi-with-facebook-login/ / https://www.facebook.com/business/facebook-wifi

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Misogynist posted:

Yeah, without being able to actually tell you how to do it (since I've never really set up any captive portal stuff) it should in theory be pretty easy.

EDIT: Make that really easy.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Nope! :toot:

Thanks to the above replies as well. I've been meaning to revamp our entire Wi-Fi (for internal/production and Public access), so it looks like this is pushing the project forward because of Facebook, of all things.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Alfajor posted:

Nope! :toot:

Thanks to the above replies as well. I've been meaning to revamp our entire Wi-Fi (for internal/production and Public access), so it looks like this is pushing the project forward because of Facebook, of all things.

Use this as an excuse to get Merakis for everything, they're so dreamy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And attend the webinar to get a free one (for your house, the job can buy their own).

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

So is there a good guideline multiplier for pay for contract work?

I had planned to exit this company, but I am having a conversation next week about handling all of the IT side if not outright running a five month long project. I feel like it's good policy to basically refuse to do this as a regular employee, but I am not at all sure what kind of adjustment to salary I should expect.

Its about how difficult it is to replace you. If you have specific knowledge and it would be difficult to get another candidate up to speed while still meeting the deadlines you should be compensated for it.

Merakis are great for handling ipads.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Thanks for the response three, that took some guts to post, I appreciate the insight.

re Recruiter calls: I don't post my phone number because it leads to me getting calls about "opportunities" for years. When I'm looking I'm looking and when I'm not I'm not. Companies that came after me really hard had no problem using LinkedIn / e-mail only. For my current gig I used e-mail only and screened that way. It seems the sane, reasonable recruiters understood what I was doing, but I got no response from a few after I told them to send me a job description before I would give out my phone number.

For my next one I might grab a Google Voice or similar temporary number but will definitely leave my phone number as 000-000-0000 on Dice / Monster / etc.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I got an e-mail from a "recruiter" with a fake "RE:" subject and for several positions that met none of my requirements or experience.

Yeah, that'll totally work.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Alfajor posted:

Sounds like it wouldn't be too difficult. You might need to reach into Facebook's API to get it done, or go for a prebuilt solution like Wavespot.

For the love of God if you actually do it though, don't require anything more than a Like. I have one Facebook friend who always posts from her work where they have a Wavespot setup, and all of her posts there are appended with "POWERED BY WAVESPOT, THE SOCIAL WI-FI HOTSPOT SERVICE" and it's annoying as gently caress.

:yotj:

One of my coworkers is moving to another department and I'm being promoted into their role managing production systems for multiple clients.

Pros: 10% on-call bonus, being an "architect" vs "engineer".

Cons: Being legitimately on-call 24x7 rather than "here's a corporate phone, this means our triage team can page you out whenever they want, but you'll basically never get called".

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Inspector_666 posted:

I got an e-mail from a "recruiter" with a fake "RE:" subject and for several positions that met none of my requirements or experience.

Yeah, that'll totally work.

A shady hardware vendor's marketing emails have proceeded from "Hi, check out our product", to "Buy 10 get 1 Free" to "Free Omaha Steaks with order!" to "Your Order XE-12-3dF14B."

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Caged posted:

And attend the webinar to get a free one (for your house, the job can buy their own).

That's awesome, I'm registering for one of these immediately.

Alfajor, what happens if the user doesn't have Facebook?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cenodoxus posted:

Pros: 10% on-call bonus, being an "architect" vs "engineer".

Cons: Being legitimately on-call 24x7 rather than "here's a corporate phone, this means our triage team can page you out whenever they want, but you'll basically never get called".
That's not a promotion to me, especially if you're actually gonna get called.
Architects don't get maintenance calls to begin with, and the way you describe it that 10% pays for you never being allowed to drink or be away from your phone.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

CloFan posted:

Alfajor, what happens if the user doesn't have Facebook?

Not worthy of WiFi!
I mean, I don't really know. All I got was an email with one sentence.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Speaking of that, I applied for a few jobs at Microsoft today and was kind of put off at how their job application ... application requires you to give them a valid LinkedIn/Twitter/Gmail/Facebook/Outlook account in order to upload a resume.

Used my LinkedIn because it has the least personal information on it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Between jorts and pleated pants IT departments are never dressed well, but there's this guy at work who refuses to update his wardrobe from the 1980's.

His brother lost a ton of weight so he went out and bought all new clothes, and guess who has all of his brothers old 'fat' clothes? My co-worker. He's not even fat!

So he's got all these new, 1990's clothes with cool 90's patterns and colors, so he looks like Chandler from the first seasons of 'Friends'.

But the shirts are all way too big and so are the pants so he just looks ridiculous. We're talking 2XL stuff on a guy that might weigh 135lbs. Also giant wide ties.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Bob Morales posted:

Between jorts and pleated pants IT departments are never dressed well, but there's this guy at work who refuses to update his wardrobe from the 1980's.

His brother lost a ton of weight so he went out and bought all new clothes, and guess who has all of his brothers old 'fat' clothes? My co-worker. He's not even fat!

So he's got all these new, 1990's clothes with cool 90's patterns and colors, so he looks like Chandler from the first seasons of 'Friends'.

But the shirts are all way too big and so are the pants so he just looks ridiculous. We're talking 2XL stuff on a guy that might weigh 135lbs. Also giant wide ties.

Pics or it didn't happen

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Speaking of dress code, I keep being told I'm overdressed for the office, or that I look like in dressed for the sales floor.

I refuse to wear anime t shirts like the rest of these nerds. :colbert:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't see overdressed as an issue, ever. I like wearing shirts and trousers and nice shoes to work because then when I get home and change out of them it's a good mental break.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
420 wear dress boots, jeans, and a button down/waffle knit errday

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Caged posted:

I don't see overdressed as an issue, ever. I like wearing shirts and trousers and nice shoes to work because then when I get home and change out of them it's a good mental break.

Right. It also helps differentiate between work mode and home mode. I don't think I'd feel right wearing a tshirt and jeans, and I feel like it's easier to maintain professionalism when you're dressed for it.

But, I am allowing myself casual Friday.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
I feel more motivated when dressed nicely.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Welp my boss gave his 2 weeks notice today :( He recruited me to my current (awesome) job and is easily the best boss I've worked for so far in my career.

Anyone wanna come take his place as our network engineer in Denver? :shobon: We may also be hiring for an overnight NOC person if internal candidates don't pan out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Docjowles posted:

Anyone wanna come take his place as our network engineer in Denver?

Your boss was also the network engineer?

You can't takeover his salary?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Docjowles posted:

Welp my boss gave his 2 weeks notice today :( He recruited me to my current (awesome) job and is easily the best boss I've worked for so far in my career.

Anyone wanna come take his place as our network engineer in Denver? :shobon: We may also be hiring for an overnight NOC person if internal candidates don't pan out.

Sounds like a job for Docjowles!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Holy poo poo, my workplace is full of drama right now. The hot admin girl that was hired after me now makes just shy of £30,000 a year, is only 24 and is clearly the bosses favourite admin girl. The rest of them are pissed off about this, as they've been working there twice as long, don't get paid as much and are way more experienced. This wasn't an issue until today, where it surfaced that:

- She's been given 3 raises in four months

- While everyone else has to drive across the country to get to seminars, she goes on first class flights with the boss

- On the last one, he bought her an expensive watch, which cost around £400-£500

- She is now getting a company car, either a brand new BMW or Audi, her choice.

She's in an office full of women who describe themselves as fairly competitive, all of whom are getting really annoyed at this behaviour, especially as none of these benefits are being thrown there way in the slightest and because this girl is still, you know, kinda new. The support side has just been watching all day as emails (that are cc'd to everyone) are flying around, people are glaring and being snotty with eachother, no work is getting done and people are spreading rumours (the most common one being my married boss is sleeping with her, of course).

This poo poo is like school all over again, but with more money and cars.

All this poo poo over a simple little seminar where we show off our software to various clients, who all have caught wind that something is going on as well. This company is hilariously inept.

(I didn't know where to put this, as its not pissing me off, but its not really a ticket)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Moey posted:

Your boss was also the network engineer?

You can't takeover his salary?

The backstory was that he was originally just the network engineer, though he had some sysadmin experience too. About a year ago it was decided the "systems and network" team needed a team lead/manager so he got promoted to doing that. He also remained the primary network engineer since he's a technical guy and didn't want to stop getting his hands dirty.

If they promote a new team lead, it will almost certainly be someone internal. But there's no one with enough networking expertise internally so they're gonna advertise for that one.

I am actually interested in the leadership role, but other guys on the team have been here for longer and know the systems and company better so I'm not sure it would fall to me. They may also decide not to promote anyone for now and just have us all report to HIS boss, the Director of Ops. We'll see.

The other thing is that I actually live quite far from the office and work from home most of the time. If I got into management I'd probably have to do the 1+ hour each way commute daily, which would suck badly.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 13, 2014

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If she is not sleeping with him then he really wants her to and we will get a great story about your bosses sexual assault charges.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Looks like I am :yotj: today. After my contract at my last company ended at the beginning of the year, I took some time to myself to complete some personal projects and relax. About a month ago I started to look for another job, looking at what's available in the industry, had a few informational interviews with colleagues and people to whom I was recommended. Two weeks ago, I was contacted by a IT consulting firm here in town, and today I've accepted their offer.

Relatively minor (5%) pay raise over my last position, but there's a bonus system in place that can earn me another chunk of my salary. It's permanent though, so benefits and other miscellanea are included, which is a nice thing to have (particularly with a nurse wife, who constantly worries about my health).

Stay posted and I'll let you guys know how it turns out :)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

jim truds posted:

If she is not sleeping with him then he really wants her to and we will get a great story about your bosses sexual assault charges.

I guarantee you that if that happens, I will post in great detail.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

psydude posted:

Speaking of that, I applied for a few jobs at Microsoft today and was kind of put off at how their job application ... application requires you to give them a valid LinkedIn/Twitter/Gmail/Facebook/Outlook account in order to upload a resume.

Used my LinkedIn because it has the least personal information on it.

Meh, just make a live account and use that. NBD, it's not worse than registering for taleo or some other crap.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dogstile posted:

Holy poo poo, my workplace is full of drama right now.
Your boss is being hilariously inappropriate, and I'm surprised his isn't calling him on his poo poo.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Docjowles posted:

I am actually interested in the leadership role, but other guys on the team have been here for longer and know the systems and company better so I'm not sure it would fall to me. They may also decide not to promote anyone for now and just have us all report to HIS boss, the Director of Ops. We'll see.

The other thing is that I actually live quite far from the office and work from home most of the time. If I got into management I'd probably have to do the 1+ hour each way commute daily, which would suck badly.

Assuming you actually do want it, have you asked for it?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Assuming you actually do want it, have you asked for it?

No, as it was dropped on us all at like 4 pm and I haven't had time to think on it. But yeah if I decide I'm interested I will make that clear. Not going to goon it up and just hope good things fall into my lap.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Docjowles posted:

If you can wait another 6 months, sure!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Docjowles posted:

No, as it was dropped on us all at like 4 pm and I haven't had time to think on it. But yeah if I decide I'm interested I will make that clear. Not going to goon it up and just hope good things fall into my lap.

I don't know, I hear that digging might be the best course of action in these situations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Caged posted:

Are there any other offers like this around? I saw that Aerohive does an identical program but haven't been able to find any others.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

dogstile posted:

Holy poo poo, my workplace is full of drama right now. The hot admin girl that was hired after me now makes just shy of £30,000 a year, is only 24 and is clearly the bosses favourite admin girl. The rest of them are pissed off about this, as they've been working there twice as long, don't get paid as much and are way more experienced. This wasn't an issue until today, where it surfaced that:

- She's been given 3 raises in four months

- While everyone else has to drive across the country to get to seminars, she goes on first class flights with the boss

- On the last one, he bought her an expensive watch, which cost around £400-£500

- She is now getting a company car, either a brand new BMW or Audi, her choice.

She's in an office full of women who describe themselves as fairly competitive, all of whom are getting really annoyed at this behaviour, especially as none of these benefits are being thrown there way in the slightest and because this girl is still, you know, kinda new. The support side has just been watching all day as emails (that are cc'd to everyone) are flying around, people are glaring and being snotty with eachother, no work is getting done and people are spreading rumours (the most common one being my married boss is sleeping with her, of course).

This poo poo is like school all over again, but with more money and cars.

All this poo poo over a simple little seminar where we show off our software to various clients, who all have caught wind that something is going on as well. This company is hilariously inept.

(I didn't know where to put this, as its not pissing me off, but its not really a ticket)

I'm a fan of Audi myself but I didn't bang my boss for mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Though you were more of a BMW guy...

I'm a Mitsubishi, or Nissan Guy myself.

The Lancer OCZ owns, even if my 03's alternator blew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CfWdoSOTk

The GTR is just too much and the Skyline isn't legal outside Virginia.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 13, 2014

• Locked thread