Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I hope its true because the idea of Nader as some cloak and dagger long run accelerationist con man is goddamn hilarious.

The author of "Unsafe at Any Speed" advocating accelerationism. I think we all can learn a lesson from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

I mean, he was right about Roe, we just had to lose Brown v. Board and the Voting Rights Act.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Well son of a bitch.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Install Windows posted:

I don't remember this at all.

And for the quote I was paraphrasing before

NYTimes posted:

''A bumbling Texas governor would galvanize the environmental community as never before,'' he said. ''The Sierra Club doubled its membership under James Watt.''
The second part is actually more blatantly accelerationist, James G. Watt was Reagan's Secretary of the Interior who opened 4 million square km of the U.S. Coastal water for drilling.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

DynamicSloth posted:

And for the quote I was paraphrasing before

The second part is actually more blatantly accelerationist, James G. Watt was Reagan's Secretary of the Interior who opened 4 million square km of the U.S. Coastal water for drilling.

The Iraq War convinced many Americans (well, until they forget about it) that starting a war for no reason is a bad thing, so I'd say Nader's logic was vindicated.

oh, what's that you say, it was a terrible thing that saw many people die? you don't say...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Spaceman Future! posted:

The author of "Unsafe at Any Speed" advocating accelerationism. I think we all can learn a lesson from this.

And that lesson is the proper definition of irony, since everyone misuses it.

Also that Ralph Nader is a tool.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dilbertschalter posted:

The Iraq War convinced many Americans (well, until they forget about it) that starting a war for no reason is a bad thing, so I'd say Nader's logic was vindicated.

For only $3 trillion, you too can keep a president who is war reluctant from having some military action in middle eastern countries!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

dilbertschalter posted:

oh, what's that you say, it was a terrible thing that saw many people die? you don't say...

A valuable lesson indeed. Unless you happen to live in Iraq.

Is there any case of accelerationism ever that isn't "stack up the bodies to make a rhetorical point"?

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

A valuable lesson indeed. Unless you happen to live in Iraq.

Is there any case of accelerationism ever that isn't "stack up the bodies to make a rhetorical point"?

I would say That's the Joke, but I literally put it a line right below so that people would get that I wasn't being serious.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
RAHM RAHM RAHM RAHM RAHM RAHM.

More idle speculation but it's always a laugh when his name gets thrown around. This piece mentions being Hillary's VP, which I guess you never know. He has been going through something of a rebranding, but frankly I think he's more inclined to replace Dick Durbin than run for president.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Misandrist Duck posted:

RAHM RAHM RAHM RAHM RAHM RAHM.

More idle speculation but it's always a laugh when his name gets thrown around. This piece mentions being Hillary's VP, which I guess you never know. He has been going through something of a rebranding, but frankly I think he's more inclined to replace Dick Durbin than run for president.

I always figured Chicago Mayor was the job he wanted, and would camp out there til he was tired of it or got caught in some dirty political maneuver.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Something about that stinks of someone floating the idea rather than actual speculation. I'm not particularly excited about voting for Hillary as it is, but would absolutely refuse to vote for any ticket with Rahm on it.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I would unironically love to vote for Rahm. The guy would be a democrat version of Dick Cheney, it'd be great.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Something about that stinks of someone floating the idea rather than actual speculation. I'm not particularly excited about voting for Hillary as it is, but would absolutely refuse to vote for any ticket with Rahm on it.

Rahm's a political operator, not a politician. He'd be a lousy choice by any metric, even by Hillary Clinton, because he's got Chris Christie's mouth and temper in a slightly-less offensive package.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

ReidRansom posted:

Something about that stinks of someone floating the idea rather than actual speculation.

No one is floating an idea in the Washington Times, other than some Mooney crank.

Veepstakes are getting vastly ahead of ourselves and always matter far less than the corresponding amount of time wonks geek out on them.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Wanamingo posted:

I would unironically love to vote for Rahm. The guy would be a democrat version of Dick Cheney, it'd be great.

So who would be the person Rahm shoots in the face?

Also, what types of files would he keep in his office safes?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

A Winner is Jew posted:

You think he'd stop at just one?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

Given Rahm's general love of power, I'm going to go with Hillary.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Is there something I'm missing about Elizabeth Warren's personality that leads people to think she can be the anti-Hillary? She strikes me as too much of a professorial type who is more suited for issue advocacy, not executive leadership.

This has nothing to do with her stances, just her personality. She would seem a perfect fit to lead the Liberals in Canada, but nothing about her seems to say "Commander-In-Chief" to me, and much of the Dem base, the ones that are "Ready for Hillary," and low info indepndent voters seem to still care about that sort of thing.

Before someone mentions Obama as a professorial type as well, remember that personality is the whole reason why we first heard of him anyway.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

De Nomolos posted:

She strikes me as too much of a professorial type

By the way, when are you planning to announce that you're running for Senate in New Hampshire?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Look, we all know that we only have one public figure here, and he's got a ticket to ride!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Warszawa posted:

Look, we all know that we only have one public figure here, and he's got a ticket to ride!

But who could that be? I guess, The Hunt is On!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
To hunts man is the most dangerous game ....

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Joementum posted:

But who could that be? I guess, The Hunt is On!

It's such an arkane process to figure out.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ferrosol posted:

It's such an arkane process to figure out.

You might need to charter a new school of thought to come up with an answer.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 12, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I would just like to mention that Ticket to Ride and The Hunt is On were actual Jon Huntsman campaign slogans.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Joementum posted:

I would just like to mention that Ticket to Ride and The Hunt is On were actual Jon Huntsman campaign slogans.

Indeed, every schoolchild knows that 3rd place is a Ticket to Ride.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

... Wait, Jon Huntsman is a goon? Did I miss something?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Teddybear posted:

... Wait, Jon Huntsman is a goon? Did I miss something?

It's a joke. During the 2012 primaries, forums poster Arkane was so high on Jon Huntsman that the joke eventually became that he WAS Jon Huntsman, since no one else seemed to be a fan of the guy (he got like 2% in New Hampshire and flamed out early). Thus, whenever Arkane shows up in a thread where he denies climate change's existence or extols the virtues of charter schools (while somehow being unable to comprehend that we don't support them despite the fact Obama and Arne Duncan do), it's proper form to ask Governor Huntsman how things are going.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 12, 2014

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Alter Ego posted:

It's a joke. During the 2012 primaries, forums poster Arkane was so high on Jon Huntsman that the joke eventually became that he WAS Jon Huntsman, since no one else seemed to be a fan of the guy (he got like 2% in New Hampshire and flamed out early)

Oh.

In a way, aren't we all Jon Huntsman, a little bit?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Oh.

I know I am.

If I recall, Arkane does get some credit for being I think the only goon to predict Palin getting tapped to be VP candidate for McCain.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

Zwabu posted:

I know I am.

If I recall, Arkane does get some credit for being I think the only goon to predict Palin getting tapped to be VP candidate for McCain.

Well it makes sense, he put in just as much research as McCain did.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Teddybear posted:

Oh.

We all got the same number of convention delegates and electoral votes, so yes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FMguru posted:

We all got the same number of convention delegates and electoral votes, so yes.

He had two delegates from New Hampshire.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Joementum posted:

He had two delegates from New Hampshire.

And you didn't? Don't you impugn the credibility of Team Teddybear. We did our damndest.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Wasn't Arkane suspected of being the weepy C-SPAN caller that went on and on about Huntsman during one of his primary defeats.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Should've gone with their original idea: A Dirt Bike in Every Garage

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Wasn't Arkane suspected of being the weepy C-SPAN caller that went on and on about Huntsman during one of his primary defeats.

I remember when Arkane said he was going to a debate and an article about the debate mentioned that Huntsman had "only one, extremely enthusiastic supporter."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Teddybear posted:

Oh.

No.

I mean, I don't want to low content post in D&D.

But no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Joementum posted:

By the way, when are you planning to announce that you're running for Senate in New Hampshire?

I see what you did there.

But seriously. Where are the Happy Warriors?

• Locked thread