Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Vagabundo posted:

The problem with Gatland is that he needs to grow up. I know I keep banging this drum, but seriously, it's long past due for Gatland to stop being such a loving baby.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/125958/Tew-says-union-did-all-it-could-to-retain-Gatland

Has he said anything about the NZRU recently that I missed? If not, it seems a bit rich to say it's long past due for him to get over something, and then post an article from 5 years ago :)

Clive Woodward has got to the bottom of why Wales lost

Clive Woodward posted:

I was pitchside during Wales’s warm-up and I cannot believe the colour of their tracksuit. It is the most awful grey and whoever chose it needs to be taught a few things about professionalism.
It reminded me of when Manchester United were losing 3-0 at half-time to Southampton and Sir Alex Ferguson ordered his players to change out of their dreadful grey strip.
That afternoon in April 1996 was the fifth and final time United wore that strip and they failed to win a game in it — losing four and drawing one.
Wales have an amazing colour and it is called red. This is a professional sport and you need to look the part.
England looked totally professional in the warm-up — all the players, coaches and staff were in the right colours.
Wales looked awful and it was not helped by the sight of Jake Ball warming up in grey with a 2ft long red beard. It just doesn’t look professional.

stavros880 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
But England have purple warm up gear :psyduck:

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

The problem with Gatland is that he needs to grow up. I know I keep banging this drum, but seriously, it's long past due for Gatland to stop being such a loving baby.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/125958/Tew-says-union-did-all-it-could-to-retain-Gatland

It's going to be funny as hell when Gatland swoops in and takes the ABs coaching job over Dave Rennie.

edit: Clive Woodward's a dirty troll and I can't wait for the All Blacks to hammer England at home 3-0 ftw

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I almost forgot about Clive's irrational hatred of beards.....

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

stavros880 posted:

Has he said anything about the NZRU recently that I missed? If not, it seems a bit rich to say it's long past due for him to get over something, and then post an article from 5 years ago :)

It's an ongoing pattern of behaviour with him. The last significant contact between Gatland and the NZRU was in 2010, before he signed a contract extension with the WRU after expressing a desire to return to New Zealand, only to find that the NZRU and Super Rugby sides weren't tripping over their own feet in a rush to sign him up as a coach. I mean, why would they? The fact that he went out of his way to make false accusations about the NZRU refusing to promote him from the Waikato provincial side to a Super Rugby team has basically meant he's likely burned his bridges in New Zealand for the time being and the fact that he's now further extended his contract with the WRU until after the 2019 tournament suggests that he's accepted this. Basically, as long as Steve Tew is around, Gatland's not going to coach in New Zealand at any significant level and Tew is unlikely to be ousted any time soon.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Woodward is an irrelevance that has failed to do anything meaningful since having one of the best English rugby teams of all time carry his sorry arse through the world cup.

Sadly, this hasn't stopped him having a loving awful opinion of everything since then. He's rugby's answer to Glen Hoddle.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
England and Clive won the World Cup thanks to the flattering cut of their jerseys, the total absence of beards and PROFESSIONALISM.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

Basically, as long as Steve Tew is around, Gatland's not going to coach in New Zealand at any significant level and Tew is unlikely to be ousted any time soon.

Lets be honest; the NZRU had a major hard-on for Todd Blackadder who would have been a more likely contender for the All Blacks spot. That was even before Dave Rennie proved his success with the U20s was no fluke by coaching the Chiefs onto back-to-back titles in his first two years as their coach. Considering that John Kirwan, another NZRU golden boy, is coaching the Blues (although, like Blackadder, the results haven't been impressive - in fact worse) I don't see Gatland getting a look-in nowadays.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Lets be honest; the NZRU had a major hard-on for Todd Blackadder who would have been a more likely contender for the All Blacks spot. That was even before Dave Rennie proved his success with the U20s was no fluke by coaching the Chiefs onto back-to-back titles in his first two years as their coach. Considering that John Kirwan, another NZRU golden boy, is coaching the Blues (although, like Blackadder, the results haven't been impressive - in fact worse) I don't see Gatland getting a look-in nowadays.

Deans is more likely to get the All Blacks gig than Gatland at this stage. Hell, Deans was taken seriously as a coaching candidate in 2007 and might have even got the job if Tew hadn't called up McCaw to ask for his opinion, since he was the best possible person to ask for a comparison between Deans and Henry.

It's hard to tell with Kirwan, considering the fact that he's taken on one of the most inconsistent Super Rugby franchises and a lot of the issues with the current Blues team basically mirrors pretty much what his predecessors have had to deal with. I think he'll make a fantastic assistant coach to be honest. He did genuinely improve Japan's performances when he coached them and he does have a history of success as a coach in the Japanese Top League (he made the NEC Green Rockets regular contenders as coach, and their performances basically fell off a cliff as soon as he moved on). Also, I'd take his Blues sides over the rabble that they were reduced to under Pat Lam.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

Deans is more likely to get the All Blacks gig than Gatland at this stage. Hell, Deans was taken seriously as a coaching candidate in 2007 and might have even got the job if Tew hadn't called up McCaw to ask for his opinion, since he was the best possible person to ask for a comparison between Deans and Henry.

It's hard to tell with Kirwan, considering the fact that he's taken on one of the most inconsistent Super Rugby franchises and a lot of the issues with the current Blues team basically mirrors pretty much what his predecessors have had to deal with. I think he'll make a fantastic assistant coach to be honest. He did genuinely improve Japan's performances when he coached them and he does have a history of success as a coach in the Japanese Top League (he made the NEC Green Rockets regular contenders as coach, and their performances basically fell off a cliff as soon as he moved on). Also, I'd take his Blues sides over the rabble that they were reduced to under Pat Lam.

Fair point. I'm not suggesting Kirwan is ready or ever will be - just that he is well ahead of Gatland.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So in case anyone was wondering, this is what top-level university rugby looks like in Colorado:

dat snow

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Apollodorus posted:

So in case anyone was wondering, this is what top-level university rugby looks like in Colorado:

dat snow

I played in Arkansas in uni, and we had some days like that. I don't miss that poo poo at all.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I've played in the snow in the UK. The pitch was a lot clearer than that though.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I played terrible D3 college rugby and we had one memorable game where the field was covered in an even 4" of snow, so we just went around and cleared all the lines. The result was a bizarro-pitch with green lines and white surface. Also an orange ball.

As a bonus, the men's soccer team showed up drunk and heckled our opposition.

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread
Talking coaches, there is plenty of teeth gnashing over Mark Hammett in my neck of the woods. I don't think he's the problem tbh, he's not the one out there dropping the ball or standing offside.

Kirwan is pretty much a puppet on the end of Graham Henry's fist.

I hate to say it but i do think NZ has too much an obsession with ex-players coaching rather than skilled organizers who didn't make top level getting a shot. Think John Hart, GH and John Plumtree to an extent.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Hasn't Tana all but been confirmed as the new Hurricanes coach?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Tyma posted:

Clive Woodward has attributed England's success almost entirely to Rhys Priestland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26508701

Based on that article he almost definitely posts in this thread.

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread
Ask Tony Robson, he's sitting outside Hammett's house with binoculars right now.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

elTeddy posted:

I hate to say it but i do think NZ has too much an obsession with ex-players coaching rather than skilled organizers who didn't make top level getting a shot. Think John Hart, GH and John Plumtree to an extent.

I can't disagree with that. When Todd Blackadder was named coach of the Crusaders some in the press were already crowning him a future All Black coach (Kirwan was met with more skepticism) despite the fact he had not yet proven himself. Rennie had more experience at ITM cup prior to Super Rugby and also was undefeated as the coach of the U20s team yet when he was given the Chiefs role there wasn't the same song and dance. Two years later and he has two titles while Blackadder has none in 4 (or is it 5?) seasons. Now Rennie is being talked about as a potential All Black coach - but he had to prove himself first while Blackadder, as a former All Black, got that hype automatically.

Just in case no one got this: My point earlier about Gatland coming back (and using Blackadder and Kirwan as examples of people more likely than him to get the job) wasn't an endorsement of them. I was just painting a picture of where he sits in the pecking order.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It really is a case of thus as it ever was, and coaches that haven't gone through the system as a player like Graham Henry, Aussie McLean and John Hart are an increasingly rare breed.

It's hard not to notice that neither the current All Blacks coach nor his predecessor were All Blacks themselves, but it seems some people who should know better apparently don't.

Also, Blackadder succeeding Deans as Crusaders coach didn't really come out of nowhere. His coaching record prior to the Crusaders wasn't particularly flash (he started as Scotland forwards coach when Matt Williams was in charge. Just ask any Scottish rugby fan how great that era was), but when he took on Tasman, he did get them punching above their weight and he was Deans' assistant in the 2008 Super Rugby season.

Mark Hammett would be the one who's had a shortest pathway into coaching than others. JK paid his dues in Japan and Italy where he actually had some success, Rennie worked with the age group sides and minor provinces like Manawatu, Jamie Joseph worked his way up the Wellington/Hurricanes system and Blackadder had a baptism of fire taking on the forwards in quite possibly the worst Scottish team ever assembled.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 13, 2014

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26561638

Who picked this Welsh squad, and what have they done with Gatland? :getin:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Going to an Ospreys meet and greet in a few hours if anyone wants stupid poo poo autographed by people who aren't Dan Biggar.

Edit : The chance to get framed photographs of Sam Warburton signed by Ryan Jones has passed!

Tyma fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 13, 2014

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Pretty much everything that I didn't want France to do,they have done.Picamoles is back in the squad,Remi Tales is at 10,Szarzewski's back from injury,and Gael Fickou is at 12.The Ireland team is unchanged,except for one surprise,which is Ian Madigan replacing Paddy Jackson as the sub out-half.Even as a Leinster fan,it's pretty clear Jackson's an all round better player,and Madigan's in pretty poor form right now.

Although,it's funny hearing Munster fans who only a year ago were saying Paddy Jackson was awful after he replaced Ronan O'Gara in the Irish squad now claim his omission is an absolute travesty.Many of them are still bitter over ex-Leinster coach Joe Schmidt replacing ex-Munster coach Declan Kidney as the Irish coach.

I really hope Biggar has the sort of performance that will put him ahead of Priestland.He's seriously underrated by a lot of people and deserves a shot.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Swan Curry posted:

Pretty much everything that I didn't want France to do,they have done.Picamoles is back in the squad,Remi Tales is at 10,Szarzewski's back from injury,and Gael Fickou is at 12.The Ireland team is unchanged,except for one surprise,which is Ian Madigan replacing Paddy Jackson as the sub out-half.Even as a Leinster fan,it's pretty clear Jackson's an all round better player,and Madigan's in pretty poor form right now.

Although,it's funny hearing Munster fans who only a year ago were saying Paddy Jackson was awful after he replaced Ronan O'Gara in the Irish squad now claim his omission is an absolute travesty.Many of them are still bitter over ex-Leinster coach Joe Schmidt replacing ex-Munster coach Declan Kidney as the Irish coach.

I really hope Biggar has the sort of performance that will put him ahead of Priestland.He's seriously underrated by a lot of people and deserves a shot.

Biggar's had those performances in the past already though. I fear that under Gatland playing yourself into the starting lineup is just not a thing that happens. He's not one for picking on form really. He has his favourites and that's that. It is encouraging that he has made this many changes, albeit in a now-meaningless game. I was half expecting him to stick two fingers up to the critics and not bother

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Hahah Cruden's 'shot at goal'. When I played on the wing I always tried to signal our kicker to try that play, never knew it wasn't legal.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
I thought Super Rugby was supposed to be the pinnacle of skill and performance.
Making Priestland look good here.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

DickEmery posted:

I thought Super Rugby was supposed to be the pinnacle of skill and performance.
Making Priestland look good here.

This is a poor Super Rugby game but would probably rank as a MotY candidate up north.

edit: hahah making Jean De Villiers accept a signed Chiefs jersey to commemorate his 100th game after they lost is ice cold.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 14, 2014

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

This is a poor Super Rugby game but would probably rank as a MotY candidate up north.

No it wouldn't it was poo poo.
You know tackling is allowed yeah?

To be honest I think a lot of it was Joubert.
For example, in the Crusaders game now they've been pinged for putting hands on the floor past the ball (Walsh loves pinging for this too).
Joubert is a-ok with this, never pings for it.

It's worrying that the inconsistency of the refs may be starting to gently caress up the SH game too.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Stephen Ferris made his return tonight,with this being his first action in the match.Hopefully he can keep it up and get into the Ireland squad for the Summer tour.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
So, um, the Hurricans just beat the Cheetahs into the ground.

Did anyone see that coming? Because I thought they would win but not like that and not by that margin.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The yellow card to le Roux was probably the definitive moment in the game. It felt like the floodgates just opened when he was gone. Bullshit call too.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Swan Curry posted:

Stephen Ferris made his return tonight,with this being his first action in the match.Hopefully he can keep it up and get into the Ireland squad for the Summer tour.

Was there to see him back in action, that first tackle was a lovely moment for him and the crowd that has waited a long time to see him play again for Ulster. He saw a decent bit of the ball as well, was hoping he'd crash over at the end for a try but Tom Court of all people beat him to it.

Would love to see him play his way back into a green jersey.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The Highlanders just lost against the Force who were down to 13 for the last 10 minutes.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Cross-posting from the Ireland thread, but if anyone's around Belfast, a bunch of us are going to the Parlour for the annual Day Of Rugby.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
I woke up my fiance on accident but I am totally watching the rugby today.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
England look nervous.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why are there props out wide?

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
Italy's midfield doesn't give a gently caress. Garcia in particular is having a shocker.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Italy somehow hate Ireland more than England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
We still need to score 40 points to make this interesting, and we're going to lose so much pressure due to our weak scrum.

It's nice to watch England go balls to the wall for a change, but it's going to be pretty meaningless.

• Locked thread