Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I got a review copy of Down Set Fight by Chris Sims, Chad Bowers and Scott Kowalchuk. It's really fun and I highly recommend it. The first three chapters are currently available in digital form.

It's about a football player Chuck Fairlane, who lost his temper years ago and punched out a mascot, escalating into him beating up everyone on both teams and getting blacklisted. Now he's a high school football coach and there's been a series of incidents where guys in mascot costumes have been mugging star athletes. This leads to a guy in an elephant costume showing up at Chuck's school to start a fight. Chuck and an FBI agent try to figure out how he's linked to the sudden rise of mascots beating people up.

To give you an idea of how ridiculous it is, there's a fight where Chuck is rushed at by a dozen guys dressed in one Chinese dragon costume. Chuck grabs the first guy and is able to take all of them with him in one giant suplex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

What issues are those?

The main things are the opening issue which tonally does not match the rest of the book and making things far more complicated then they need to be. The pacing is all over the place too which is weird as her mini's have been better.

With Captain Marvel I don't know how it was originally conceived but Pretty Deadly was originally just a Western with Ginny taking the role of The Woman With No Name, going from town to town rather than what it is now. Now it's basically Gods vs Monsters, which Emma Rios is drawing the hell out of but is really at odds with the first issue. There's also the fact that issue 2,3 and 4 were a very messy and overly complicated way of shuffling around the characters in 1 to match presumably how the series is going to go forward.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
To be honest, the disarming narrative was part of what really drew me in, lending to this pastoral, ethereal quality of tone to the story that turned the thing into some kind of Jodorowsky/Leone lovechild. I've been in love with it the whole time, but at this point I'm very curious: what's the premise of the story as a series? I mean, we're already on the verge of our heroes facing down Death.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Waterhaul posted:

The main things are the opening issue which tonally does not match the rest of the book and making things far more complicated then they need to be. The pacing is all over the place too which is weird as her mini's have been better.

With Captain Marvel I don't know how it was originally conceived but Pretty Deadly was originally just a Western with Ginny taking the role of The Woman With No Name, going from town to town rather than what it is now. Now it's basically Gods vs Monsters, which Emma Rios is drawing the hell out of but is really at odds with the first issue. There's also the fact that issue 2,3 and 4 were a very messy and overly complicated way of shuffling around the characters in 1 to match presumably how the series is going to go forward.

Huh, I'll have to reread the first part of Pretty Deadly with this in mind. It definitely felt like a shift afterward. It seemed to be using the mythological stuff more as a framework, and now it's the explicit focus. I'm enjoying it though, and it is gorgeous.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Kull the Conqueror posted:

To be honest, the disarming narrative was part of what really drew me in, lending to this pastoral, ethereal quality of tone to the story that turned the thing into some kind of Jodorowsky/Leone lovechild. I've been in love with it the whole time, but at this point I'm very curious: what's the premise of the story as a series? I mean, we're already on the verge of our heroes facing down Death.

Yeah part of me wonders how long they intend for the series to last, I know it's an ongoing but with the change in pace and Emma co-writing stuff with Brandon Graham and Kelly Sue taking up more books I wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't last the year.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Especially with someone else drawing the next "arc."

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Wait what about someone drawing the next arc?

From looking up I did see that at the moment they are aiming to do roughly 12 issues, maybe more depending on work schedules.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Maybe I was wrong, I thought I read somewhere that there would be a different artist.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I just went to Comixology and randomly noticed an ad for an Archaia comic named Hacktivist written by Alyssa Milano of all people. Is that... good?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Speaking of which, did that weird waterworld comic by Tom Morello ever end up being not boring as hell?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I just went to Comixology and randomly noticed an ad for an Archaia comic named Hacktivist written by Alyssa Milano of all people. Is that... good?
Yeah, that's a toughie.

I've never heard of it until now, but c'mon.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 27, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hey, you never know. She has to be talented at something other than acting!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 27, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hakkesshu posted:

Hey, you never know. She has to be talented at something other than acting!

Yes... acting. That's what she did.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Did anyone else grab Deadly Class by Rememnder? Harry Potter except assassins. Art is gorgeous and there's an interesting essay in the back about Rememnder's childhood and how it relates to the book.

Yeah I bought it yesterday, fantastic art, really looking forward to the next issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Has anyone else been reading God is Dead? I was ready to drop it after the last issue of the first arc, but the first issue without Hickman was really good and I'm sticking with it for the time being. The art has improved, I think, and I'm really interested in the world.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm equal parts stunned and bemused at seeing Eve: True Stories is an actual thing being published. The epic tale of Goons' heroic struggle against the odds to claim victory in internet spaceships, in comic form! Er, what?

I eagerly await an adaptation of the great Titan blueprints scam as a follow up.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Anyone else pick up Deadly Class 2? Wasn't as good as the first I think, but the art is still stunning.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

frameset posted:

Anyone else pick up Deadly Class 2? Wasn't as good as the first I think, but the art is still stunning.

I still really dug it.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Coffin Hill: Worth checking out a trade or not? I thought I heard folks say good things about it, but can't find that now.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
So happy the delays are a thing of the past because Secret is so loving tight.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Been reading Jack Katz's First Kingdom and it owns. Even though he seems to think that in the future, no one wears shirts.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Coffin Hill: Worth checking out a trade or not? I thought I heard folks say good things about it, but can't find that now.

I'd be interested in seeing someone's opinion on this as well. I was planning on picking up the first issue, but they sold out by the time I picked up comics that day, and I haven't seen any issues since. So, I'm assuming it's either really good, or my local comic shop only gets two issues in every time a new one is released...

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I'm sure people have talked about Coffin Hill in the Vertigo thread.

edit: actually, it's just been people asking if it's good.

chime_on fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 12, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone pick up the Stray Bullets collection? How's the quality?
I'm wondering how over 1000 pages hold up in a paperback.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone pick up the Stray Bullets collection? How's the quality?
I'm wondering how over 1000 pages hold up in a paperback.

The paper quality is fine. It's the glossiest that Stray Bullets has ever been, but not overly so. It's comparable to those Walking Dead compendiums. It is unwieldy of course but it's 1200 pages. There isn't really any gutter loss - I don't think Lapham ever goes outside his panel lines in the whole series.

Size comparison:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Ugh, I prematurely gifted my old trades of Stray Bullets to my brother in anticipation of the Uber Alles addition. Now I'm waiting for instocktrades.com to ship my order before I start with #41 and Killers since the story's no longer fresh in my head.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I picked this up:
https://www.comixology.com/The-Fallen-1-of-8/digital-comic/79511

Its fun even if it does read like The Walking Dead with super powers.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I read two comics by Seth in the library today. It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken is an autobio comic about being a pretentious and nostalgic canadian rear end in a top hat searching for a connection with an obscure single-panel magazine cartoonist. Clyde Fans, Book 1, was a detailed exploration of an older man, who managed his father's company into the ground and his reflections on his life. These both rely on some really in-depth monologues and take a while to get into. Neither of them had a particularly strong start but they both had really excellent endings. I'd recommend them both, if you're in the mood for literary in your comics, but really, the main reason to pick this up is his style, which kinda ties into the material, since the guy is investigating a New Yorker cartoonist while his art looks like something appropriate. He later would actually get a few New Yorker covers. Good for him.

I found this guy because I also read an anthology of comics at the same time. A lot of strong stuff in this, but a surprising fraction of it I'd seen already on different sources online. It's worth taking a look at, if nothing else, because it's all comics. The pastedown on the inside of the cover is a comic. The book jacket - comics. The bit that stuck with me most was this R. Crumb piece.. I might have to find The Golem's Mighty Swing based on a three-page excerpt of a Golem in a baseball uniform hitting a fastball. I don't know if it can live up to the expectations I'm putting on it based on the premise.

It's A Good Life, If You Don't Weaken, also has the second-best depiction of the Toronto Reference Library I've seen in a comic I read in the past month. You all know what the best is.

None of these indie dudes are going to make "picture novella" stick, and I'm pretty sure they gave up trying that term by 2001. (though we should change all references to "comics chat" in this forum to "picture novella discussion", mods)

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
Has anybody read the new Stray Bullets yet?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Finally received my Uber Alles edition :dance: I feel like I should be reading it from a lectern or something because it's so loving big. Also trying to resist the urge to peek into Killers before I finish this reread which is hard because Spanish Scott was one of my favorite characters.

It's been a while since I've read it but it's basically like returning to buried treasure. I never really paid attention to the significance of the title but I'm realizing how Stray Bullets is pretty much about unintended consequences. The lives of most of these characters are irrevocably derailed or knocked off course because another character is too self-absorbed with their own poo poo to understand the ramifications that their actions will have on others. But Lapham doesn't lay too much judgment on his characters, or at least tries to present a balanced and relatable portrayal for each member of his cast, whether they're heroes, villains, or even bit characters in the background. Everyone considers themselves the hero of their own stories, and the vignette structure of Stray Bullets allows these characters to shine from their own point of view with these brilliant, trenchant snapshots of their lives.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

A PC Game posted:

Has anybody read the new Stray Bullets yet?

Issue #41 or Killers #1?

41 was pretty straightforward as far as SB goes, just the summation of Ginny's adventures in high school apparently. It's scary to see her get one step closer to Harry via The Finger (or Mr. Finger as Kevin's dad calls him) but just like Spanish Scott I like The Finger even though he's a scumbag.

Killers #1 was way more intense than I thought it would be. So Eli's dad kills his former babysitter/current stripper? And gets his eyes cut out for it? Pretty intense for the first issue of a new series, but as usual Lapham does a good job balancing the crazy poo poo with boob and Star Wars jokes.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Just so I have this straight, Stray Bullets #41 finishes the previous story arc, and Killers #1 is a new arc but could have been re-numbered #42 save for Lapham not wanting to intimidate new readers. Is that correct?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Shitshow posted:

Just so I have this straight, Stray Bullets #41 finishes the previous story arc, and Killers #1 is a new arc but could have been re-numbered #42 save for Lapham not wanting to intimidate new readers. Is that correct?

Yep. It's a new arc set way in the "past" from where the last one ended. It's a good jumping on point.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The latest Beasts of Burden was way to happy. I have to assume the next one is going to be soul crushingly depressive?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Oni's 2014 schedule came out. Now's probably a good time to check out some new stuff.

All I know is more Stumptown is a good thing. And it's an ongoing, at that!

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff
Is anyone else reading Lazarus bothered by the past couple covers? I was shocked to see that they're actually drawn by Lark. His interiors are excellent, as were the covers for the first arc, I'm not sure why he's doing this arc in this crummy Poser style.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Anyone have any thoughts on Helheim? There's a collected volume up on Comixology.

https://www.comixology.com/Helheim-Vol-1-Witch-War/digital-comic/71659

I like the artist but I don't think I've read anything by the writer.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

coconono posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Helheim? There's a collected volume up on Comixology.

https://www.comixology.com/Helheim-Vol-1-Witch-War/digital-comic/71659

I like the artist but I don't think I've read anything by the writer.

Helheim is awesome. Bunn is fantastic with his independents (Sixth Gun notably) and mediocre with his for hire work.

Seriously, read Helheim. And also Sixth Gun, but you asked about Helheim and you need to read that.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
New Manhattan Projects was pretty great.

If God Is Dead wasn't such dross I'd swear Hickman can do no wrong. As it is he's just probably the best writer working today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

New Manhattan Projects was pretty great.

If God Is Dead wasn't such dross I'd swear Hickman can do no wrong. As it is he's just probably the best writer working today.
Hickman's not writing God is Dead anymore and I think it's gotten a lot better since he left.