Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

GreatGreen posted:

I played a thief and thought the balance was just about as right as it could have been, that is I was rarely at full health and un-debuffed, so I always felt at least a little bit of danger, so I felt like I had to at least put thought into my next move, but I hardly ever lost. Then again I was really playing for the story and jokes, and not a Dark Souls level RPG gameplay challenge, so that was just fine by me.
The combat is dull, especially at low levels, and I regarded fights as annoying speed bumps.

Bearserker posted:

When I completed the game without defeating Al Gore I saw him dressed up as the Manbearpig in the bushes during the ending cutscene if that is what you mean.
I fought "ManBearPig" outside the church even after I unfriended Al Gore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Zonekeeper posted:

Speaking of which, I loved the Green Sauce conversation near the end of the game. It was was hilarious just because it was such a South Park thing to have an argument about in the middle of a big serious confrontation and brought the Taco Bell thing full circle.

I honestly didn't even know that Green Sauce was a thing.

... should I even be spoiler tagging that?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zonekeeper posted:

Speaking of which, I loved the Green Sauce conversation near the end of the game. It was was hilarious just because it was such a South Park thing to have an argument about in the middle of a big serious confrontation and brought the Taco Bell thing full circle.

This was one of my favorite bits in the whole game. I'm not sure why I found it so funny but I was dying

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
So did they actually record different lines for Europe at the part when in the abortion clinic one of the agents says "I'm picking up some hot readings on the ESRB.", "The ESRB is going crazy!"? Just watched this part on Youtube and I'm almost certain that on my version he talks about PEGI instead of ESRB. I might be just remembering it wrong, but that's some nice attention to detail if they really did that.

Edit: Yeah, they did. :allears:

Thanks, that was an interesting read. Working on this game with Matt and Trey must have been a great experience.

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 12, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Malek posted:

I honestly didn't even know that Green Sauce was a thing.

... should I even be spoiler tagging that?

It is a thing, and it's actually pretty good. It used to be better, before it was "Green Sauce" it was... Verde Sauce I think? But you had to ask for it special, they never offered it to you and it was never put out with the other sauces. It came in a large clear packet. It was spicier and less gooey.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Holy poo poo who the gently caress designed that learning-to-fart-from-Randy sequence?

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Frungy! posted:

So did they actually record different lines for Europe at the part when in the abortion clinic one of the agents says "I'm picking up some hot readings on the ESRB.", "The ESRB is going crazy!"? Just watched this part on Youtube and I'm almost certain that on my version he talks about PEGI instead of ESRB. I might be just remembering it wrong, but that's some nice attention to detail if they really did that.

Edit: Yeah, they did. :allears:

That's one of the things we did that I wasn't sure anyone would ever notice. I think we did something like 6 different lines for that? I don't remember the exact number.

bilperkins2 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 12, 2014

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Kelp Plankton posted:

That reminds me, there's a gag near the very end of the game right before the final boss where Morgan Freeman shows up and explains stuff, earns a freckle, etc, and it was also used basically word-for-word in one of the episodes of the show that used a lot of other Stick of Truth stuff like the costumes and Princess Kenny's anime song. Most of the other references to things were references, not just a joke from the show, so I'm wondering if maybe this was something where the South Park guys liked the joke so much they decided to reuse it in the show? The nature of lengthy game development makes stuff like this kind of a weird grey area for figuring out which came first.

I wonder how much other stuff from the game made it's way into the show, whether used or unused in the game itself.

I have heard a lot of people saying that Matt and Trey were so impressed with some of the writing collaborators for the game that they ended up working with them for jokes on the show itself, so that could be a thing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

bilperkins2 posted:

That's one of the things we did that I wasn't sure anyone would ever notice. I think we did something like 6 different lines for that? I don't remember the exact number.

Is there a line reading for the OFLC (the Australian censor board)?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I didn't find the combat dull at all. I guess I was too caught up in the euphoria of simply playing this goddamn game finally. I would cup-a-fart nearly any mobs I could find and rush head long into encounters swinging my weapon wildly.

Canadas rabid wild life were some of the hardest fights. But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Dark Souls hard. Just hard enough to keep me happy. I also ended up with AIDS after visiting Canada. So that's saying something.

Started a second game as a black Jew to see what else gets said or happens. Contemplating turning him into a cross dresser early. Unlike my first play through Thief who went full
Princess only after finishing the main quest.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, if I have a disappointment, it's the clothing options don't get totally crazy until right at the end of the game. I feel like the (faction spoiler)girls should come earlier.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Some kind of New Game+ would be cool, something to encourage a re-play of the game.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't use a single extra potion and still found this game too easy on hardcore

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SwissCM posted:

Some kind of New Game+ would be cool, something to encourage a re-play of the game.

I think it would be nice if you could carry over your unlocking clothing/face/ect options from game to game if nothing else. It's sort of weird to me that they're sellable objects instead of just unlocked.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

So how do you use Butter's Hammer of Justice on the PC? The game prompts me to mash A & D and then left click when the hammer flashes but there is no flash nor is Butters spinning as I've seen in the console footage.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Extreme0 posted:

So how do you use Butter's Hammer of Justice on the PC? The game prompts me to mash A & D and then left click when the hammer flashes but there is no flash nor is Butters spinning as I've seen in the console footage.

There is for me on pc, you don't have to mash it alternating like you're running, just mash both.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just to make sure I'm not missing something absurdly obvious...you can't upgrade your buddies' equipment, can you? There's a huge difference between my damage output and rest of the group's.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

No idea unless it's a bug, it works perfectly fine for me every time. As soon as I select a target, I alternate A and D, and then click when it flashes, works as intended.

On another note, I just killed Al Gore in 3 rounds (I've fully upgraded Backstabbing even though I'm only level 8) and right after he died the Secret Service guys killed Butters and I both before I had a chance to do anything. gently caress that fight. :mad:

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

precision posted:

No idea unless it's a bug, it works perfectly fine for me every time. As soon as I select a target, I alternate A and D, and then click when it flashes, works as intended.

On another note, I just killed Al Gore in 3 rounds (I've fully upgraded Backstabbing even though I'm only level 8) and right after he died the Secret Service guys killed Butters and I both before I had a chance to do anything. gently caress that fight. :mad:

I don't remember exactly what abilities you have at level 8, but if Butters has his Professor Chaos ability I found the best way to beat it early is to just keep trying the fight until you Butters' +9 shield effect. That will give you a free 4-5 rounds to wipe out his team. Otherwise just go back to it later.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

poptart_fairy posted:

Just to make sure I'm not missing something absurdly obvious...you can't upgrade your buddies' equipment, can you? There's a huge difference between my damage output and rest of the group's.

Nope, they auto level with you but the damage is set.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

poptart_fairy posted:

You can't, no. Just stick with Butters, he hits like a Mack truck.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I beat this for a second time playing Mage, and that class is even more busted than Thief. The upgraded fire burst ability, with patches and strap-ons that return HP and PP on fire damage, plus armor with increase fire damage percentage, is basically just God mode. It kills everything in a turn and fills both your bars up. I beat the entire game using just that skill.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finished my second playthrough and this time got to see all the buddy interrupts on the final Boss. They're all great, of course, but I think it also really helps sell how much you have to throw at your opponent to keep them down until it comes down to that final desperate gambit and you break the gentleman's oath. I'm kind of sad that they didn't make it so you couldn't end the fight until you'd used all your buddies because it made for a stronger ending/fight in my mind, having everybody on screen watching as you fight on.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Low bridge is probably the funniest thing I've ever seen in a video game.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

Madmarker posted:

Oh I wasn't looking for something on the level of Dark Souls, just something a bit harder than Pokemon.

Again, I understand why the normal difficulty was the difficulty level its at, this is a game you play primarily for the story line and humor. The game definitely succeeds in those points.

The problem is, I am playing on hardcore mode, knowing that I have more experience with RPGs than a good chunk of this games' audience. I want to feel like I could lose,and I never did. Every fight was easy, even Al Gore I only died once.

There was never a reason to really play around with the system they gave you, just Dragonbreath on everything and follow it up with your companions unique attack, then any surviving enemies will get maybe 1 hit in, and then die to burning. Rinse and repeat. If I did get damaged, well I just socketed the drain life Patch, and now I'm burning and healing in one fell swoop.

Again, I enjoyed the game: the battle system is fun, the storyline is great, its hilarious. It just was far to easy and short. I really hope they make DLC content for this game with additional quests, storyline and a superboss.

I used Butters until I unlocked Cartman. Cartman gets a free gross out attack, in addition to the ability to use a fire attack on all enemies and a highly damaging single target electric attack. He is quite good. Butters is good for the early game, but by the time you unlock Cartman he's just underwhelming as you won't need the heal.

Why should I intentionally de-power myself? I get that on additonal play throughs of games, when you are trying to eke out a challenge from an rpg you have played hundreds of times. However, this was my first play through, and I am sure there are more powerful things to be doing that I completely overlooked.

As I said, the I am not calling the game bad, its just...Ok. Its systems could have made the game so much better if there was a reason to use them, but as it is there was no challenge anywhere. I don't wan't/need a lot of challenge, just enough to feel like I need to try.

Too many words for a silly South Park game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Fair to Midland posted:

A video game's difficulty curve is one of the biggest factors for judging its quality, it's not really an unwarranted thing to say.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SwissCM posted:

Is there a line reading for the OFLC (the Australian censor board)?

Yep.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Popelmon posted:

Holy poo poo who the gently caress designed that learning-to-fart-from-Randy sequence?

KEEYAH! YOU CALL THAT FARTING ON ME YOU MISSED BY A MILE TRY AGAIN.
KEEYAH. YOU CALL THAT FARTING ON ME YOU MISSED BY A MILE TRY AGAIN.

(All you had to do was follow the drat train CJ!)

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

CapnAndy posted:

You can't, no. Just stick with Butters, he hits like a Mack truck.

Actually pretty much all the buddies are useful one way or another.

My favorite was probably Kyle since his 3rd ability pretty much clears non-bosses in one go, though i also used the bard a lot as well and the others quite a bit.

As far as minigames go, the abortion and fart-magic tutorials were somewhat poorly explained, didn't really have much problems with anything else.

Slim Killington posted:

I beat this for a second time playing Mage, and that class is even more busted than Thief. The upgraded fire burst ability, with patches and strap-ons that return HP and PP on fire damage, plus armor with increase fire damage percentage, is basically just God mode. It kills everything in a turn and fills both your bars up. I beat the entire game using just that skill.

Ye, it's extremely useful from the get-go and is great upgraded into late-game because it takes off armor. Mage is probably the most broken class with Thief being the weakest imo, mostly due to poor AOE (or just randomized). Playing Fighter now.

uaciaut fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 13, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I missed one weapon and two pieces of clothing.... and they were all in parts of the game you can't go back to :negative:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Jerusalem posted:

I missed one weapon and two pieces of clothing.... and they were all in parts of the game you can't go back to :negative:

First playthrough -- Missed two unretrievable Chinpokomon.
Second playthrough -- Got all Chinpokomon and friends, missed Knight Armor gloves.
Third playthrough -- Missed underpants helmet, but after reexamining first save from first playthrough, relalized that the only Armor/Weapons I had left to on my list were all shop items.

At that point, I just cheated myself infinite money rather than kill post game forest animals for the next three hours to earn the money to buy it all and get my last two achievements.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

EricFate posted:

Second playthrough -- Got all Chinpokomon and friends, missed Knight Armor gloves.
Third playthrough -- Missed underpants helmet, but after reexamining first save from first playthrough, relalized that the only Armor/Weapons I had left to on my list were all shop items.

At that point, I just cheated myself infinite money rather than kill post game forest animals for the next three hours to earn the money to buy it all and get my last two achievements.

If you ever need to grind money, I stumbled upon probably the best way: Kyle's parents room. Walk in, shoot the jewelry box, clock, everything near the doorway and collect, then run out into the bathroom and then back in and it'll have respawned to shoot again.

RealDeadTom
Mar 12, 2014

Night Blade posted:

KEEYAH! YOU CALL THAT FARTING ON ME YOU MISSED BY A MILE TRY AGAIN.

(All you had to do was follow the drat train CJ!)

This.

Though it was funny the first few times, it's probably the only poorly designed part of the game I've come across thus far.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The summon system is really strange in this game. I have yet to use one in a fight where it didn't one-shot the enemy or enemies I was going up against so basically you get a few insta-wins a day. Seems kinda shoe-horned in but I guess they just wanted an excuse to add in some more funny cutscenes so I can't complain.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fair to Midland posted:

So, since its a humorous game, I can't apply a critical eye to it? If you are a 60 dollar game being released on a major console, I am going to apply the same critiques to it that I would any other big budget game. I expect more from the gameplay than being able to reduce combat to using the same attacks over and over again.

Again there is a lot of charm in the game, I liked exploring my options, I just wish I ever had a reason to use them. The biggest offender for me in this was the summons, I never needed them. No random encounter ever gave me pause, or made me need to use those rewards. The only one I ever saw was City Wok Guy and that was because I wanted to see the animation, not because I needed it.

Is the illusion of danger such a terrible thing to have in a game? And, as has been said before by other posters, I think a lot of the complaints about difficulty could easily have been handled if there was ever a reason to use all of your abilities. I mean, I used my stun attack with my mage 3 or 4 times at most, and that was because I was unsure if I would kill them that turn. I just want a reason to use the abilities I have been given, I don't like being incentivised to use the same attacks over and over again. And thats what the system does, hell even the aliens with their electricity weakness, were more easily mowed down by Dragonsbreath than anything else.

Hell, I never even used fart magic in combat, it just was, unnecessary.

As before, the game is hilarious, the animations are great, the characters funny, and the plotline gloriously idiotic, in the best possible way. Hell the gameplay itself has a remarkably fun system, with the qte's for attacking and blocking making turn based combat more than simply "Attack-by-menu". However the lack of difficulty/lack of variety really hurt what could have been one of the best games I have ever played. It was close to truly being great, but its lack of attention to difficulty, to respecting the learning curve and the competence of its players, hinder it immensely. It is a good game, that I suggest people either rent or wait until you can buy cheap used copies of. It is not a game I recommend buying at its current price tag.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

EricFate posted:

I missed the tinfoil hat. Nothing else. Just the tinfoil hat.

Was a bit annoyed when I found out, but I figured I won't start another playthrough just for the goddamn tinfoil hat. At least I could grab More Popular Than John Lennon.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Madmarker posted:

Again there is a lot of charm in the game, I liked exploring my options, I just wish I ever had a reason to use them. The biggest offender for me in this was the summons, I never needed them. No random encounter ever gave me pause, or made me need to use those rewards. The only one I ever saw was City Wok Guy and that was because I wanted to see the animation, not because I needed it.

Well I think the issue there is that summons are really just used for two things, being funny and getting out of a fight that you didn't want to get into in freeroam. If I get grabbed by a Nazi zombie mob and don't feel like battling them, helloooo Mr. Slave! It's just so satisfying.

Also, since Summons are once a day, when your parents "ground" you after finding you in the forest does that actually count as skipping a day? Because that's the only way I can think of besides story progression to refresh the character summon items.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

bilperkins2 posted:

I thought I heard it, but then I felt that I must've mis-heard it as I thought as an American game I'd be surprised if they took the effort to reference PEGI in this way.

Well done; it's the small touches that stand out.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
About 3/4ths of the way through the game I figured out that shooting enemies with your ranged weapon, farting on them, then hitting them in the field would start the fight with them stunned and grossed out for a round or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

GreatGreen posted:

It's interesting seeing all you guys talk about how pathetically easy the game is.

I played a thief and thought the balance was just about as right as it could have been, that is I was rarely at full health and un-debuffed, so I always felt at least a little bit of danger, so I felt like I had to at least put thought into my next move, but I hardly ever lost. Then again I was really playing for the story and jokes, and not a Dark Souls level RPG gameplay challenge, so that was just fine by me.

Now once I got towards the end of the game and got the bloody tampon thrown weapons and especially the Chackram, I was able to open fights by applying 4-5 stacks of bleed to three enemies at a time, which really did reduce encounters to 2 or 3 rounds a piece, but that was fine by me after that loving slog with Al Gore.

GreatGreen posted:

About 3/4ths of the way through the game I figured out that shooting enemies with your ranged weapon, farting on them, then hitting them in the field would start the fight with them stunned and grossed out for a round or two.

Ha

• Locked thread