Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I have read the Rob Zombie is currently working on a film about the Manson murders. Has there been any good movies about this subject? Or any good movies that use late 60s Los Angeles as it's setting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's not about the Mansons, but The Doors is set in late 1960s LA.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I have read the Rob Zombie is currently working on a film about the Manson murders. Has there been any good movies about this subject? Or any good movies that use late 60s Los Angeles as it's setting?

Its not about the Mansons per se, but Roman Polanski's Macbeth is heavily infulenced by the murders.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
To be more specific I am more interested in something that directly involves Manson, or at least has the Manson family as a spectre-like presence that kind of haunts over LA at the time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ever seen the TV movie "Helter Skelter"?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

What are some films that performed ridiculously well compared to their budget that aren't horror films? It tends to happen with things like Paranormal Activity, Insidious, and The Blair Witch Project, but I'm wondering about other genres.

Clerks, Chasing Amy, Primer. None of those did that stupendously, but they all made more than their budget by an order of magnitude.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ever seen the TV movie "Helter Skelter"?

No I haven't. Is that the one based in the book?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

Clerks, Chasing Amy, Primer. None of those did that stupendously, but they all made more than their budget by an order of magnitude.

You could add Friday to that list.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CopywrightMMXI posted:

No I haven't. Is that the one based in the book?

Yeah, it's pretty drat good. Steve Railsbeck is a surprisingly good Manson.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, it's pretty drat good. Steve Railsbeck is a surprisingly good Manson.

I'll have to try tracking that down. I have read the book several times so I hope it adapts well.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

To be more specific I am more interested in something that directly involves Manson, or at least has the Manson family as a spectre-like presence that kind of haunts over LA at the time.

Not a movie but American Horror Story season 1 has an episode on that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Speaking of murderers, is that Dahmer movie with Jeremy Renner worth a look? It looked forgettable at the time, but I'm interested in what Renner does with the part.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Speaking of murderers, is that Dahmer movie with Jeremy Renner worth a look? It looked forgettable at the time, but I'm interested in what Renner does with the part.

It put Renner on the map.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 6, 2014

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

morestuff posted:

Watch the docu The Jeffrey Dahmer Files instead. It doesn't have Renner and is excellent.

Also, you will hear and see a hardcore police detective imitate a frog.

Trump fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 6, 2014

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Would you mind listing some? I'm not questioning you, I can just only think of bad ones right now...

Fight Club would be a good example of narrative exposition making a movie better.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

What are some films that performed ridiculously well compared to their budget that aren't horror films?

I would imagine any documentary that gets Oscar buzz/a wide release would fall into this category.

There is also that movie where Aliens have come to earth and the group of people are trying to get through Mexico back to the US that was made with a stupidly small budget.

I think the budget for District 9 pretty drat small and that made a ton of money too if I recall.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm pretty sure Mad Max held the world record for budget to profit ratio until Blair Witch Project came along.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

xcore posted:

There is also that movie where Aliens have come to earth and the group of people are trying to get through Mexico back to the US that was made with a stupidly small budget.
Monsters. Budget of "way less than" $500,000, although I doubt it made all that much money. Side note - Wikipedia claims it's getting a sequel?! :psyduck:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm pretty sure Mad Max held the world record for budget to profit ratio until Blair Witch Project came along.
I think Night of the Living Dead (1968) beats it, although doing the accounting on it is complicated since it wound up in the public domain.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

david_a posted:

Monsters. Budget of "way less than" $500,000, although I doubt it made all that much money. Side note - Wikipedia claims it's getting a sequel?! :psyduck:

Yeah, it's called "Godzilla".

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Yeah, it's called "Godzilla".
Burrhurrhurr. Monsters: Dark Continent

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Has this been posted wrt voice overs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VseQe4TFsg

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R. Mute posted:

Has this been posted wrt voice overs?

Yes, it was posted exactly one week ago.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Okay.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
One think I've been wondering recently.
When the box office numbers for a movie are released, does that include the cut the theaters get or is it just reporting on the money the studio gets?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Slasherfan posted:

One think I've been wondering recently.
When the box office numbers for a movie are released, does that include the cut the theaters get or is it just reporting on the money the studio gets?

I think it's gross, so just total ticket sales.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think it's gross, so just total ticket sales.

Correct. Total ticket sales.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Usually a "director's cut" is a study cash in with the following exeptions - Kingdom of Heaven, Blade Runner (get 4 disk set), Brazil (its the regular non tv version), and I really like it - Aliens. I am sure there are others, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

Apocalypse Now Redux is worth watching as a curiosity, but only after you've seen the original cut.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The Blade Runner Director's Cut wasn't actually a Director's Cut was it? That was just a marketing thing. As were the Lethal Weapon Director Cut editions. I think Donner himself confirmed the released cuts were his (The DC for the first movie was ridiculous because it basically gives Riggs two introductions and feels overly long).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

The Blade Runner Director's Cut wasn't actually a Director's Cut was it? That was just a marketing thing. As were the Lethal Weapon Director Cut editions. I think Donner himself confirmed the released cuts were his (The DC for the first movie was ridiculous because it basically gives Riggs two introductions and feels overly long).

I doubt that as the original had stuff that the studio forced him to add in.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ridley Scott told the studio what he wanted done for the '91 Director's Cut, but he was not directly involved in re-cutting it. The Final Cut is the real Director's Cut version of the movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You might be thinking of Alien, where Ridley Scott pretty much says upfront that his cut is the one that went to cinemas and the "director's cut" is in no way his intended cut of the film.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

In reference to what goodog said, the Redux of Apocalypse Now is really bad. The scenes they added aren't even bad in fact they're my favourite scenes, but it makes the movie go on for too long and get harder to focus on. 203 minutes is too many minutes.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Baron von Eevl posted:

You might be thinking of Alien, where Ridley Scott pretty much says upfront that his cut is the one that went to cinemas and the "director's cut" is in no way his intended cut of the film.

The director's cut of Alien is one he was directly involved with. But he doesn't consider it a better version of the film, he thinks the original is perfect and what he intended. It's just "another version" of the movie that he likes, and that may be a curiousity to fans.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The director's cut of Alien is one he was directly involved with. But he doesn't consider it a better version of the film, he thinks the original is perfect and what he intended. It's just "another version" of the movie that he likes, and that may be a curiousity to fans.
It's quite possibly the only "Director's Cut" that is shorter than the normal version, too.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Director's Cut of Alien is on the Blu-Ray that I own. Dare I watch it?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Director's Cut of Alien is on the Blu-Ray that I own. Dare I watch it?

Might as well. The changes are so short overall that it's interesting as an academic exercise.

Right or wrong, the extended directors cut of Aliens is where it goes crazy with tons and tons of extra footage.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

david_a posted:

It's quite possibly the only "Director's Cut" that is shorter than the normal version, too.

Nah, there are some others. Bad Santa, Blood Simple, The Yards, and Payback are a couple off the top of my head.

Edited to add The Yards, which just came to me.

Five Cent Deposit fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 13, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What are the differences between Bad Santa's director's cut and regular cut? It's one of my favorite comedies, but for some reason I haven't bothered to track down the director's cut (possibly because I love the version I know so much)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hbomberguy posted:

In reference to what goodog said, the Redux of Apocalypse Now is really bad. The scenes they added aren't even bad in fact they're my favourite scenes, but it makes the movie go on for too long and get harder to focus on. 203 minutes is too many minutes.

On the contrary, I can't stand the theatrical version anymore, I fell in love with redux. It being that long makes your mind go on a journey along with Willard, and I can't imagine any scene I'd be able to part with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Might as well. The changes are so short overall that it's interesting as an academic exercise.

Right or wrong, the extended directors cut of Aliens is where it goes crazy with tons and tons of extra footage.

I really like the directors cut of Aliens. The scene about Ripley's daughter added to the film. The turret scene is also awesome. The only scene that is really not needed was the colony before.