Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
OK, since I have been bequeathed these magical powers over the tipping competition (again), should I bother with changing any of the scoring rules? The site defaults seem reasonable (which we've used the last two years) which are:

- no tips means you get away teams, with a capped score of 5 - though I'd like remove the cap, to be honest.

- no joker rounds (just double points rounds, which I'm a bit meh about, but if people want it I'd allow people to choose their own round)

- no "all correct" bonus - geez you get a free Whopper, what the hell else do you want, a bonus point? We had this one year and it wasn't popular. Distorted the scores. (Which would also be the case for Joker rounds

- the ladder is ranked by tips and then margin (you get one game, usually the first in the round, where you have to pick the margin as well as the winner, and the difference in the margin).

Anyway, I'm proposing that:

- non-tippers get away teams with no cap i.e. if you've forgotten to tip but there's a fluky round where there's 8 away wins, you get 8 points rather than having it capped at 5 as per the default. It's not much of a change, but my rationale is that I like sticking to the traditional rules, but importantly, it may keep the forgetful ones interested in the comp for longer even if they miss a round. Away wins average way less than typical winning scores so it's not a viable strategy.

- possibly getting rid of "pick the margin" because to me that involves far too much deep thinking for a tipping comp, particularly if you're in a hurry at 7pm on a Friday night and you've just remembered the footy's about to start.

Depending on the buzz I get, I'll either leave these be or adopt one or both of my proposals.

You can still enter the margin for this week's round, but if people are happy about me getting rid of that I can change that next week and do a rescore.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Hahahaha Stephen Dank has been summonsed.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I think the cap should stay because it'd be pretty lovely if someone forgot their tips and got 9 but that's just me :shrug:

I like having the margin given it's only for one game a round. If it were for every game I'd probably agree with turfing it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Alas there isn't an option where the automatic tip is whoever's lower on the ladder. :cawg:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I can't even remember the last time I tipped Melbourne to win which probably means we will lose.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I agree that we should just get rid of the margin tipping but I'm not too fussed about it since its only one game.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

TG-Chrono posted:

Hahahaha Stephen Dank has been summonsed.

Sounds like ASADA doesn't quite have the evidence to issue infraction notices.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

pkid posted:

Sounds like ASADA doesn't quite have the evidence to issue infraction notices.

It's more like they do have the evidence, and they're asking Dank one final time for any further evidence to refute the charges before they send the infraction notices to the players.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Either or could be the case, but also feels like "ok investigation is wrapped up guys, well done....oh wait what about that guy who kept refusing to talk to us, Steve Dunk? Or something...maybe we should try contact him again".

Seriously it blows my mind that they think they can comprehensively close the book fairly on this thing without grilling Dank. It's like a murder trial where the key witness isn't talked to. He is THE central figure. Calling him in at the end to help tie up some loose ends just doesn't sit right with me that what they have is as accurate as it could be.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Bulldogs made a few additions to our Hall of Fame last night. Brad Johnson & Rohan Smith were both inducted while Dougie Hawkins
was upgraded to our fourth legend.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Fantasy Football is quite the time gobbler, no doubt about it.

IN WE GO 2014

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

thepokey posted:

Either or could be the case, but also feels like "ok investigation is wrapped up guys, well done....oh wait what about that guy who kept refusing to talk to us, Steve Dunk? Or something...maybe we should try contact him again".

Seriously it blows my mind that they think they can comprehensively close the book fairly on this thing without grilling Dank. It's like a murder trial where the key witness isn't talked to. He is THE central figure. Calling him in at the end to help tie up some loose ends just doesn't sit right with me that what they have is as accurate as it could be.

hasnt dank basically clammed up at the idea of being cooperative though? i thought things have gone this was because of how hes refused to be interviewed.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

snaeksikn posted:

hasnt dank basically clammed up at the idea of being cooperative though? i thought things have gone this was because of how hes refused to be interviewed.

ASADA was given powers of compulsion. Would need to show cause or start getting fined.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah that was brought into law in August/September last year? They just didn't seem so concerned about making Dank a priority. And from Dank's point of view, if you're as innocent as you say you are but then just refuse to talk to them, even now he is threatening court action..that just screams there is bound to be some major inconsistencies in the story...so how an investigation can wrap up fairly, justly and completely without this guy being at the center of it, not just brought in at the end baffles me. The fact he proclaims total innocence yet refuses to talk makes me believe if he were made to talk then a whole lot more could be pulled into the equation. It'd prolong everything which we are all sick of, but you still want it done the right way. If infraction notices get handed out with only minimal Dank input then I see it getting messy in a whole other way of going to the courts.

Anyways, yay footy on tomorrow! I was supposed to be going to a gig tomorrow night but have been hit by a chest and sinus infection, to be honest I'm kind of happier at the idea of being able to just sit on the couch and watch the footy instead.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Got my first tips in! :D Hume, I favour just not scoring the margin, so people can still play with it but it doesnt affect the outcome, is that possible? I dont like the margin myself but wouldnt want to deprive others of fun.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
The margin is the best part, keeping it under ~30 points for the first half of the season then watching it blow out horribly is my favourite part of tipping. It's like an Essendon CYOA :v:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Scoring margin is good for tiebreakers with tipping, don't need to take it too seriously.

Ryan O'keefe being dropped against the Giants is just :psyduck:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

TG-Chrono posted:

Scoring margin is good for tiebreakers with tipping, don't need to take it too seriously.

Yea this. I just sit on ~15-20 margin most rounds. Don't need to put too much thought into it.

Hume those scoring rules seem fine, I'm happy to leave capping off for absentee tips.

COME ON MELBOURNE.. oh wait that's next week.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
If you don't care about the margin put in 12 points every time.

It's good for ranking people with the same overall score.

And oh yes, footy's back! But West Coast aren't playing until March 23 :negative:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Brilliant article on AFL names.
http://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2013/may/1366951418/peter-cronin/ayce-names-afl

And here's the season preview show international fans get.
AFL Highlights Show 2014: http://youtu.be/UejQcllB7bU

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 14, 2014

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

TG-Chrono posted:

The man's always had discipline issues. He nearly walked out of the club 3 years ago he was so unhappy.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Listening to pregame radio :allears:

GET HYPE

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
FOOTBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Fremantle look slow as at the moment.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yay football. Booooo watching AAMI ads again.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm guessing afl clubs have been training at local grounds where they haven't put the goal posts in yet.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

gently caress off Rhonda/Kerplunk.

Freo do look very slow, except for Stephen Hill.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Like a sunrise!

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
Tens of thousands of Fantasy Football fans collectively hold their breath.... Has Swan pulled a hamstring this early in the season?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Pies looking like real bottom 10ers at the moment. 7 straight for Freo

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol Ballantyne/Joffa.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

This is great so far, welcome to 2014, Collingwood!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Whatever gameplan Collingwood are running, Lyon threw it out the window after the 1st quarter, goddamn. Collingwood looked in control and tackling well, then all of a sudden chaos coming the other way.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
oh man well theres my fill of 3AW commentary for 2014

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Once fatigue kicked in and the sting went out of the game, we've been murdered.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Looks like a good start to the season so far.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Football is stupid.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Wow Collingwood have gone from Malthouse to shithouse.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

Wow Collingwood have gone from Malthouse to shithouse.

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jesus, I thought they'd drop off but not this badly.

• Locked thread