Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Don't go to the previous page.

three posted:

I feel more motivated when dressed nicely.
Why is this accurate? So true, so very true. I work from home and man, I feel useless when I roll out of bed and work in rags. Shower and a decent outfit, it's go time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Don't go to the previous page.
I bet you're a Honda driver ;)

quote:

Why is this accurate? So true, so very true. I work from home and man, I feel useless when I roll out of bed and work in rags. Shower and a decent outfit, it's go time.

Three has some cocky opinions at times but I understand and agree where he is coming from, and he's a really cool guy in person. He's liberal at times and sometimes doesn't think before he speaks but over all a smart and good guy. Sometimes a suit and tie is a good confidence boost.

My job starting the 31st is somewhat different, I do cardio to work 1.2 miles(at 220 down from 250 :w00t: target 185, not bad for 6' 2'' ) people wonder why I change from the power walking/jogging. It's your job like it or not you should be as professional as you can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTaZkf4dih8

Louis CK does a good point at it. Also a good CS:Go player, just wish he didn't want to play CS_assult or Office all the time...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 13, 2014

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

dogstile posted:

Holy poo poo, my workplace is full of drama right now. The hot admin girl that was hired after me now makes just shy of £30,000 a year, is only 24 and is clearly the bosses favourite admin girl. The rest of them are pissed off about this, as they've been working there twice as long, don't get paid as much and are way more experienced. This wasn't an issue until today, where it surfaced that:

- She's been given 3 raises in four months

- While everyone else has to drive across the country to get to seminars, she goes on first class flights with the boss

- On the last one, he bought her an expensive watch, which cost around £400-£500

- She is now getting a company car, either a brand new BMW or Audi, her choice.

She's in an office full of women who describe themselves as fairly competitive, all of whom are getting really annoyed at this behaviour, especially as none of these benefits are being thrown there way in the slightest and because this girl is still, you know, kinda new. The support side has just been watching all day as emails (that are cc'd to everyone) are flying around, people are glaring and being snotty with eachother, no work is getting done and people are spreading rumours (the most common one being my married boss is sleeping with her, of course).

This poo poo is like school all over again, but with more money and cars.

All this poo poo over a simple little seminar where we show off our software to various clients, who all have caught wind that something is going on as well. This company is hilariously inept.

(I didn't know where to put this, as its not pissing me off, but its not really a ticket)

Sounds like a whole lot of jealousy to me. Haters gonna hate! :)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Yup, today its all died down. If I was in her position i'd be rolling in the benefits quite happily. Its just dumb that she posted that she got the watch on Facebook (and put her work friends on there, i've refused to do that), because now everyone's found out everyone wants perks.

Also, unrelated, but gently caress x-ray machines and everything they stand for.

e: My boss has decided to buy pizza for the entire office. I've never tasted guilt pizza before. Guilt pizza tastes good.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 13, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I bet you're a Honda driver ;)

Haha, I just traded in the gas guzzling suv for a civic and an loving it. 40 mile one way commute...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

dogstile posted:

Holy poo poo, my workplace is full of drama right now. The hot admin girl that was hired after me now makes just shy of £30,000 a year, is only 24 and is clearly the bosses favourite admin girl. The rest of them are pissed off about this, as they've been working there twice as long, don't get paid as much and are way more experienced. This wasn't an issue until today, where it surfaced that:

- While everyone else has to drive across the country to get to seminars, she goes on first class flights with the boss

- On the last one, he bought her an expensive watch, which cost around £400-£500

She's blowing him. There was an assistant to the president at an old company of mine who was literally loving the president on the job (used condom wrappers in the garbage in his office). He bought her a car and she was making around $80k. And she actually convinced him that she needed an assistant so she could get away with doing even less work by just pushing all of it onto the new person.

VW Golf TDI driver here.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

I'm always impressed by how well you can type with a peener in your mouth!

Cartalk: I ride my bike, so I do less cardio and keep more money.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I like knowing what you people drive when you post because it helps me be more judgemental.

"Oh, you drive a Mazda Miata? Your entire post is void."

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

evil_bunnY posted:

Cartalk: I ride my bike, so I do less cardio and keep more money.

:hfive:

ChromaticLlama
Sep 2, 2011

After not learning much of anything in help desk and considering I've been laterally transitioning for 6 years since graduating college, I've decided that I'm going to pursue a certification of some sort. Since I'm still pretty much in debt from college, I'm looking at MCSE for either Windows Server or SQL Server which I can afford. Has anyone else been stuck in a help desk rut or have experience going down the MCSE path?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

kareltherobot posted:

After not learning much of anything in help desk and considering I've been laterally transitioning for 6 years since graduating college, I've decided that I'm going to pursue a certification of some sort. Since I'm still pretty much in debt from college, I'm looking at MCSE for either Windows Server or SQL Server which I can afford. Has anyone else been stuck in a help desk rut or have experience going down the MCSE path?

Do you still have an .EDU email address? If so congrats, you can now take microsoft exams for 86 bucks a piece. You can also use https://www.dreamspark.com/ to download the software you need to learn. Follow that up with some used books on amazon or another cheap book re-seller and you are in business.

The goal is to learn valuable stuff on platforms you don't currently work with. Generally a home lab is how I started. I believe there is still a certification thread somewhere, I suggest you hunt it down for more info.

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.
Constructive critism ahoy. I conducted an IT audit of our Belgium subsidaries with conclusions so horrendous, fallouts are happening before I even published it.
Everything has to be rebuilt from the ground, starting from the complete electrical circuit of the offices (bad pun intended). The second floor has no light switch, you have to go to the first floor breaker. And the 5 client computers, the mopier, some lights,... are on the same mono filament cable. Which explains why the fuses blow so often. Electrical, phone and network cables falls from ceiling without any protection. It would cost at least 8000€ to set this anew.
The server local is a complete spaghetti mess, backups are made but nobody ever verify the tapes (guess what result I had when I tried to restore something...).
Nothing is documented, there are 5 servers running, one is keeped since a looonnng time but nobody knows why.
But even with that, their costs goes through the roof, 5k€ by year for 15 mailboxes (you read that right). 2 professional dsl lines with two routers, but no backup or load-balancing capacity, just twice the costs.
And for the worse, a total lack of management/organization. No business process is controlled, or even thought. Some invoices are reprinted with identical IDs, but diffferent amounts or quantities (masterstroke). No logistics (printing a delivery note even if the stock is lacking ...Why bother?).
My audit is going to upper management and shareholders, I hope they have a solid sense of humour...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

HatfulOfHollow posted:

She's blowing him.

Either she is or he's the biggest chump on this planet. People have no loving class and I hope they're both fired and charged with embezzling or something.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sickening posted:

Do you still have an .EDU email address? If so congrats, you can now take microsoft exams for 86 bucks a piece. You can also use https://www.dreamspark.com/ to download the software you need to learn. Follow that up with some used books on amazon or another cheap book re-seller and you are in business.

The goal is to learn valuable stuff on platforms you don't currently work with. Generally a home lab is how I started. I believe there is still a certification thread somewhere, I suggest you hunt it down for more info.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521165

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

dogstile posted:

Office Drama

Do you work for Douglas Reynholm at Reynholm Industries?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone in South Florida hiring? I would love to leave Michigan. Would Citrix in Ft. Lauderdale be worth checking out?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone in South Florida hiring? I would love to leave Michigan. Would Citrix in Ft. Lauderdale be worth checking out?

I know of a company that is looking for as sysadmin in north florida, Jacksonville area.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

slightpirate posted:

Do you work for Douglas Reynholm at Reynholm Industries?

PEOPLE. What a bunch of bastards.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Sickening posted:

Do you still have an .EDU email address? If so congrats, you can now take microsoft exams for 86 bucks a piece.

Is this the 72 code thing? Anyone with recent experience on any onsite verification they do? "Oops, sorry I left it at home?"

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

dogstile posted:

She's in an office full of women who describe themselves as fairly competitive, all of whom are getting really annoyed at this behaviour, especially as none of these benefits are being thrown there way in the slightest and because this girl is still, you know, kinda new. The support side has just been watching all day as emails (that are cc'd to everyone) are flying around, people are glaring and being snotty with eachother, no work is getting done and people are spreading rumours (the most common one being my married boss is sleeping with her, of course).

This poo poo is like school all over again, but with more money and cars.

All this poo poo over a simple little seminar where we show off our software to various clients, who all have caught wind that something is going on as well. This company is hilariously inept.

(I didn't know where to put this, as its not pissing me off, but its not really a ticket)

Ha, I saw a much more pathetic version of this happen with a helpdesk worker. She was the absolute worst tech I've ever seen, and she had an epic combination of both balls-out stupidity and belligerence. You couldn't teach her anything. You would stand there, make her pick up a pen and write down every step you were about to show her, and she'd get a call for the same problem 5 minutes later and claim she'd never seen that issue before and had no idea what to do.

She kept having zero repercussions for this behavior, even when it got to the point where she decided she knew what she was doing and made any problem that crossed her desk WAY worse, and nobody could figure out how the hell she hadn't gotten fired. People calling into the helpdesk who got her would immediately hang up and call again till the phone system sent them to a different tech (and it was a 4 person team, so it was pretty obvious they were ducking her.)

Till one of the network admins found her on her knees in the parking lot in front of a managing partner.

WHELP.

His relaying that info to me made me feel a lot less like a crazy person because I was constantly pointing out her severe performance issues and every time basically got a shrug in reply from management.

I left that job, but she's still there.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Raymn posted:

Is this the 72 code thing? Anyone with recent experience on any onsite verification they do? "Oops, sorry I left it at home?"

I have never been asked for a school id. Although mine never expires.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sickening posted:

I know of a company that is looking for as sysadmin in north florida, Jacksonville area.
At least you can check in when Bob complains about them every day.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I'm just jealous because I am not attractive enough to F&S my way into german cars, fun filled vacations and major appliances. Or am I?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm not sure how to feel about situations like that.
I can understand being pissed at someone who is extremely aggressive and always looking out for #1 who doesn't mind doing dirty poo poo to get ahead.
But on the other hand, imagine being a totally incompetent idiot who has to live a life where they suck old-man dick to keep a job so they can pay their rent.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It's really more offensive that the boss is so loving amateur hour that he thinks he needs to buy this woman a BMW and give her all these perks just to get her to whistle his wiener once in a while. You're going about 100 times further than you need to, buddy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I can understand being pissed at someone who is extremely aggressive and always looking out for #1 who doesn't mind doing dirty poo poo to get ahead.
But on the other hand, imagine being a totally incompetent idiot who has to live a life where they suck old-man dick to keep a job so they can pay their rent.

Yeah, I just shrug and laugh at it. Sucking old man dick for money? They deserve it, old man dick must be awful.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

AlternateAccount posted:

It's really more offensive that the boss is so loving amateur hour that he thinks he needs to buy this woman a BMW and give her all these perks just to get her to whistle his wiener once in a while. You're going about 100 times further than you need to, buddy.

You don't know what he looks like.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AlternateAccount posted:

BMW lease payment is a lot cheaper than a dinner + drinks a couple nights a month, or even a single pair of shoes/handbag.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

BMW lease payment is a lot cheaper than a dinner + drinks a couple nights a month, or even a single pair of shoes/handbag.

And its a "business expense" now.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Here's the other thing with totally incompetent people. Do you remember ToonTown from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" It's an incredibly dangerous place, you could walk through a door that leads right out of the 100th floor of a skyscraper. You could be driving and some rear end in a top hat could paint the lines in the road and your car would follow them right off a cliff. Visiting is bad enough, imagine living there, your whole life would just be random events that you can barely understand.

That's what it'd be like to be stupid. You'd park your car in front of a restaurant, come back out afterwards and your car is gone. How were you supposed to know that it was 15 minute parking only for the store next door. They should have made the sign bigger. That's your whole loving life.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

Dinner+drinks is not a giant conspicuous thing that pisses off literally every other person that works for you. It's just different flavors of dumb.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Bob Morales posted:

No matter which way I spin the numbers I'm coming up with at least $550 a month and $4K down to lease a 2013 Z4, closer to $800 :ssh: I'm really good at jokes tho so maybe there was some whoosh i missed

And that's to rent the loving car hahaha why do people do that

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Roargasm posted:

No matter which way I spin the numbers I'm coming up with at least $550 a month and $4K down to lease a 2013 Z4, closer to $800 :ssh: I'm really good at jokes tho so maybe there was some whoosh i missed

And that's to rent the loving car hahaha why do people do that

$309/mo for a 320i

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I need a slight bit of help from you folks here, my company has an ongoing project involving tablets, they're thinking about switching to IPads and so we're going to buy a few and test them out and dink around with them. I know previously that the management of these devices was a nightmare, I'm wondering how far this has come? Basically what we are going to do is have a few of these each in 2300 remote locations (so 2-5 in each location), we want to be able to manage/lock them down in some fashion, our end goal is to basically have them run 1 app and that's it.

I've seen a few offerings, but one of them, if the device loses power, (i.e. the battery goes dead) the settings revert and you can do anything. Others need to jailbreak the device which is NOT an option considering it voids the warranty. After doing some research I found a piece of software in the app store called "Apple Configurator" that seems like a darn good offering for centralized management with lots of promised features that would basically handle all we need and more. Does anyone have any experience with this piece of software or have any recommendations (other than don't buy ipads) that might be able to fulfill my requirements?

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 13, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Profile Manager!! Brand new to iOS7 and OSX 10.9 server and the true MDM extension of the Configurator. There is absolutely no feedback or logging when something doesn't work as intended but so far I haven't had any persistent problems

e: It also does floating licenses which makes it a no brainer compared to old school volume purchasing

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 13, 2014

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
^ Do I need an OSX server?

Edit - If so, whats the cheapest way to go about getting that?

Swink fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 13, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I was informed of this in another thread:

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/systems-manager

It's pretty awesome and best part? It's free.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Swink posted:

^ Do I need an OSX server?

Edit - If so, whats the cheapest way to go about getting that?

This would also be something I'm wondering! I'm guessing yes to have centralized management I would need one, I don't think, due to the way we are going to set these up, that we will have them hooked into our AD structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you were responsible for cleaning up after her incompetence, you'd start feeling a real particular way about it in short order. It's the difference between watching a severely handicapped person go about their day and being the person who has to change their diaper all the time, despite the fact that that was not the job you signed up for.

• Locked thread