Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Pretty sure that's not possible, Levi grew up in the underground slums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read/manga?volume_id=273&chapter_num=55.00

Page 11-12. I dunno why, but the art on the scans you posted are messed up and his face isn't there.

edit: also, I don't remember anyone saying that Levi only grew up in the underground slums, just that he was a leader of some gang there and then Erwin convinced him to join the Survey Corps.

LaTex Fetish fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 10, 2014

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Someone leaked concept art of Ernie and Bert in Titanland.

C'mon, you've seen me do this enough to know that we're just looking at more Spoof on Titan.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Levi is in the room, it's easier to see on crunchyroll because they don't filter soften the image to poo poo.

Look on the top left when it's showing the eagle eye of the classroom from behind.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Missing Name posted:

Someone leaked concept art of Ernie and Bert in Titanland.

C'mon, you've seen me do this enough to know that we're just looking at more Spoof on Titan.

The Annie strip made me d'awww. :3:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Anime reviewer JesuOtaku just put up a pretty big character analysis video regarding the main trio and their relationship. It's pretty interesting, I recommend checking it out. It's mostly just about the anime, but she does go into manga stuff towards the end.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Terper posted:

Anime reviewer JesuOtaku just put up a pretty big character analysis video regarding the main trio and their relationship. It's pretty interesting, I recommend checking it out. It's mostly just about the anime, but she does go into manga stuff towards the end.

That is pretty interesting. Overall fairly obvious, I think, but she brings up some good points. I kind of wish she'd gone more into her manga theory, as I hadn't quite noticed that as much and didn't (as a kneejerk reaction) agree with it as much.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Terper posted:

I agree this is pretty good. I realized that each character was a "triad" but didn't make some connections that she does. I appreciate her pointing out how people dislike Eren but love Mikasa but he's got such great traits.

After this I have a much greater appreciation for Mikasa. Thanks for the link.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 17, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

That is pretty interesting. Overall fairly obvious, I think, but she brings up some good points. I kind of wish she'd gone more into her manga theory, as I hadn't quite noticed that as much and didn't (as a kneejerk reaction) agree with it as much.

At the very least she's good at putting into words stuff that I might just have grasped intuitively but never completely reasoned out in a logical way. Also I had to resist slapping my forehead when she mentioned the mirroring going on with the Titan trio.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 17, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

GimmickMan posted:

At the very least she's good at putting into words stuff that I might just have grasped intuitively but never completely reasoned out in a logical way. Also I had to resist slapping my forehead when she mentioned the mirroring going on with the Titan trio.

Yeah, that's a better/less smug way of putting what I was trying to get at. I do agree with Nelson too, though I'd say I think I almost have a better appreciation for Mikasa, Eren, and Armin all three now that things have been put into more reasoned words.

Definitely agree on the Titan Trio. I want to say I'd always kind of felt like there was some mirroring there, but not in the way she lined out at all and not as thoroughly. This goes well with Funimation's announcements of the dub, so I can finally watch the anime! And make my friends watch it, since they're too drat lazy to read the manga.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What if beyond the walls... there's just a bigger set of walls, that keeps both them and the titans in?

Like the entire population of humans/titans/titanhumans/humantitans was such a pain that everyone else (monkey titan's crew or whatever) just decided to quarrantine the whole continent and let them rot?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 18, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Terper posted:

She's a goon, by the way.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Cardboard Box A posted:

What if beyond the walls... there's just a bigger set of walls, that keeps both them and the titans in?
What if there's nothing beyond the walls, like this is a Halo or a Ringworld?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Agreed, the entire anime has taken place on the walls of the Ringworld. Any minute now the Kzinti will invade.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Squidster posted:

Agreed, the entire anime has taken place on the walls of the Ringworld. Any minute now the Kzinti will invade.

And on that day the Kzinti received a grim reminder: they lived in fear of humans and were disgraced to live in these cages we call civilized societies.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Squidster posted:

Oh god, that's what Ymir was talking about. :supaburn:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Terper posted:

The head trio of the Survey Corps (Erwin/Levi/Hange) are also a more well-rounded, matured dynamic that the kids share. Erwin is a spirit with an incorporated mind, Levi is a body with an incorporated spirit, and Hange is a mind with an incorporated body. The great thing is that they're still flawed; Erwin isn't protective and has been criticized for shedding other peoples' blood for the sake of his ideals, Levi mostly serves as a tool for other peoples' plans, and Hange gets a little psychotic when she doesn't have anyone to keep her in check.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Dammit Armin, get your poo poo together.

Witz uber Grossennacktenmannbabys

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 19, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I would pay real money to see this sitcom animated. It is so much better than the shorts we get.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

These are easily the highlights of my week. I love this poo poo.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

GimmickMan posted:

I would pay real money to see this sitcom animated. It is so much better than the shorts we get.

Given the popularity of Attack on Titan I wouldn't be surprised if they made this a real thing.

How official is this comic?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

Like the entire population of humans/titans/titanhumans/humantitans was such a pain that everyone else (monkey titan's crew or whatever) just decided to quarrantine the whole continent and let them rot?

A fourth wall? That's crazy talk.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I wonder. With mass brain washing and unreliable narration of the past becoming a part of the story the idea humanity actually hasn't been behind the walls for 107 years, but for much longer suddenly gains a lot of traction. The conspirators just wipe out peoples memories every few centuries so the wheels keep turning. An upcoming purge might be what Ymir was talking about back in chapter 50.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Finally got around to catching up with the magna. There's something I'm curious about though. When they're pushing Erren to learn the hardening and he looses it, he writes something like "My father [was?]...by me." And then became sad.

Is it just me or is this foreshadowing that he ate\killed his father? Its never explained what happened after that night, and seeing Ymir talking about not knowing or meaning to eat people makes me think Erren transformed after the injection and possibly ate his father.

Plus it'd explain why his father just vanished after that night without a trace.

Edit: more theory crafting. Its also said that ymir got her titan powers from the guy she ate ( Bert and whatisfaces companion). So that makes me think that Errens father had those powers and the injection was just meant to force Erren into becoming a titan so he would eat his father to gain the titan powers.

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 20, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Titans don't digest anything.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ymir didn't get her power from eating anyone.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think it's more likely he was trying to say "my father did this to me".

Which is kind of funny, because it's something we as the audience take for granted (because we're privy to flashbacks), but none of the characters in the story have even entertained that notion.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 20, 2014

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
I wasn't thinking he digested him. More along the lines of absorbing him, much like what happened to Errens face as he kept transforming.

The translation I read specifically said something about his father and it ended with "by me" which leads to a conclusion that Erren did something, not his father.

Again, I could be reading a bad translation too. I'll do some more digging.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I think it's more likely he was trying to say "my father did this to me".

Which is kind of funny, because it's something we as the audience take for granted (because we're privy to flashbacks), but none of the characters in the story have even entertained that notion.
That's a good point. Does Eren have any distant family? Any cousins? It seems like the Military would be trying to snap them up to see if Titanification is genetic.

I'm still on the Eren-Patricide bus, though. It's just more in tone with the horrible events of the series.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It could always be "killed", like he accidentally smashed him and the body got lost once the wall fell.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Didn't his dad actually say goodbye and leave, in a flashback? Or did I dream about Attack on Titan again?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

Didn't his dad actually say goodbye and leave, in a flashback? Or did I dream about Attack on Titan again?

No, the last we saw of him was him giving the injection.

quote:

I'm still on the Eren-Patricide bus, though. It's just more in tone with the horrible events of the series.

Me too. But then...big-ish spoiler In a recent interview linked on this very thread, Isayama's editor said a character is in for a big revelation that would completely change someone's outlook on life and personality, and they're going to be right there with the audience to see if they grow as a person or the awful truth destroys them. I'm going to go ahead and assume that the truth is Titan Shifters devoured someone who became a part of them, and that's how they can control their titan. Seeing as how memories are a big part of the mystery of the series since the early chapters, I assume that devouring someone as a titan gives you their memories.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-efijepycXr8/UddrJMQUmqI/AAAAAAAAJD8/nT_yRzZADUQ/066.png?imgmax=3000
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wJSY87BOFPo/UddrMTEB07I/AAAAAAAAJEE/YLx_Hgq1pgI/067.png?imgmax=3000
Confirms Ymir can't remember who she devoured and implies the same thing for the rest. I don't think she ate Marcel and then regained her human form but she does flat out say it was the infiltrators actions that caused her to awaken.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 21, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Ymir was going to be someone important since her first appearance. You can't get a more 'ancient mythical giant' sounding name than that, in norse mythology at least.
Perhaps the series should be called 'Attack on Jötunn'.

Here's some fun reading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_giants_in_mythology_and_folklore
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ymir

And on the greek Titans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_(mythology)

There's still a big question mark about the identity of Funky The Monkey, though. He could be just a random creation of the author, or a mythical giant.
Heck, there's a lot to choose from; he could be Og, Iapetus, Atlas, or Lucifer himself (a good possibility).

I could be reading too much into this, as I don't recall anyone else except Ymir being named after a mythological giant.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I'm thinking the ape titan is the king. They look somewhat similar and the king always has a kind of dejected, distant look on his face. As if he has been kept sequestered in the royal palace for years. This would explain why when he took a stroll through the lands behind wall Maria, he was surprised by the 3DM gear.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

threeagainstfour posted:

I'm thinking the ape titan is the king. They look somewhat similar and the king always has a kind of dejected, distant look on his face. As if he has been kept sequestered in the royal palace for years. This would explain why when he took a stroll through the lands behind wall Maria, he was surprised by the 3DM gear.

Why wouldn't he know anything about the 3DM gear a military continent uses though?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The military police, and every single other soldier, are also highly trained in the use of 3DM gear, and nobody ever takes it off when actively soldiering around town.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

threeagainstfour posted:

But the King's a puppet figurehead with no real power - I don't see him as Hairy Titan material, even if he did have Ape-Amnesia when he transformed.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
If he's never left the palace, how does he get out to go Ape on poo poo? Does he wear blindfolds the whole time he's sneaking out? There is just no way.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 21, 2014

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why wouldn't he know anything about the 3DM gear a military continent uses though?

To my knowledge we've only ever seen the king twice in the series. It's possible he's sequestered so far behind that royal palace wall that he doesn't know about the advances in technology that have been made since he last ventured out from behind it.

Also, I recall that Ymir observes that both Bert and Reiner's eyes lit up when they saw the Ape titan. I think Ymir mentioned that if they found that titan they could go home. Perhaps they know he's the king and if the shifters and the royal family are two different factions opposed to each other, maybe B and R were excited at the prospect of killing or capturing the king.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln
Well, but it wasn't just that he hadn't seen the 3DMG before, he also seemed to be bringing it back with him. It was a big piece of intel for him to bring back from his recon, which just seems like people beyond the walls completely separate from the rest of humanity. And yeah, the king as we have seen him isn't actually an important person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I doubt he's the king. The reason the king has a dejected distant look on his face is because he's a puppet on strings with no real power. Grape Ape went into Titan-held lands when he was leaving. Maybe he could have doubled back to the central district but that's a round-about way to do things. He's listed as the most intelligent character in the series though so who knows who or what he really is?