Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

xzzy posted:

Well that's why they have "incidents per X number of people" statistics. In terms of road deaths I think China is actually right in the middle of the pack worldwide.

Do they count incidents versus the total population? Because I'd bet a whole hell a lot of people don't drive cars in China, which would lower the average. And that's why I generally see incidents per mile driven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Phone posted:

If you have 15" wheels all tires are under $200. :getin:

Yup, for all 5 tires you can actually find that small. When I replaced the tires on my e30 I ended up having to just pick the least lovely ones they had.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Phone posted:

Yes. My car has 17" wheels and it was cheaper to buy four 15" used wheels on craigslist ($120) and four 15" snow tires from Tirerack ($284) than it was to buy four 17" snow tires ($452). Plus this way I can switch summer/winter wheels easier.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Phone posted:

Ugh, I wish. I just got done replacing a set of 255/45/19s...for $300 each and that wasn't even high end. The "cheap" rear end tires in that size are $190 each. That was pretty painful.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Negromancer posted:

Yup, for all 5 tires you can actually find that small. When I replaced the tires on my e30 I ended up having to just pick the least lovely ones they had.

Dunlop Z2: 205/50R15
BFG Rival: 205/50R15 or 225/45R15
Hankook R-S3: 225/45R15
Toyo "Pixie Dust" R1R: 195/50R15

Those are just street tires.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Ugh, I wish. I just got done replacing a set of 255/45/19s...for $300 each and that wasn't even high end. The "cheap" rear end tires in that size are $190 each. That was pretty painful.

The middle of the road tires for my motorcycle come to ~$500 for two, and last about 7k miles if you don't mind spending the last few rides having everyone tell you "OH MY GOD REPLACE THOSE TODAY, WHAT ARE YOU, RETARDED?!"

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Phone posted:

Dunlop Z2: 205/50R15
BFG Rival: 205/50R15 or 225/45R15
Hankook R-S3: 225/45R15
Toyo "Pixie Dust" R1R: 195/50R15

Those are just street tires.

E30s use weird sizes to get the right size diameter. Not many in 195/65/14. I run 205/50/15 on my E30 but its annoying having it geared a little shorter. 16s make things a lot easier and the right diameter of 205/50/16.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mine are 14: :(

On a full-sized mid-60's land barge :cry:

OEM tires: 215/75-14 (G78/14)

Prefer: 225/85-14 (unicorn-chat starts here)

I suspect I am running on crap tires because from the moment they were installed 2-years (and less than 2000-miles) ago, the car shakes at certain speeds and I have gone through EVERY DAMNED THING you can do to eliminate it. And why yes, they were the cheapest tires I could find on a shelf locally.

I may have to mail-order the nearest "proper" sized tires from Coker, which run about $200 apiece plus shipping, then find a tire shop willing to mount & balance them. Ugh.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Would it be difficult to source a set of 15s that look decent and fit? I imagine it'll be a lot easier to find comparable-sized tires, though you would lose a little bit of sidewall.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Even for stock NA Miata 14" sizes it's impossible to find a tire that's worth half a poo poo. A few cars I've looked at have heinously expensive Continentals on them because the owners didn't want to swap wheels.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Terrible tire poo poo: Saw some loving doofus in a 98 Civic with the SOHC economy VTEC engine that has maybe a fart-can and hot air intake, running loving Nitto DOT slicks. In the winter. A week after we got 9 inches of snow.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Even for stock NA Miata 14" sizes it's impossible to find a tire that's worth half a poo poo. A few cars I've looked at have heinously expensive Continentals on them because the owners didn't want to swap wheels.

This is one of the big selling points nissan is touting for the new micra, it comes with 15 or 16 inch wheels, wheras the mitsubishi mirage runs 14s. If the mirage's handling was described as dangerous on the factory rubber, imagine what it's going to be when it's car hating cheapskate owner has to put a new set of tires on it.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I actually have a friend from HS/college who works for Continental corporate :smug: He gets a crazy discount on up to 8 sets a year (IIRC). Guess what I end up with whenever I need tires these days...

Before he landed that gig though, I needed 14" tires for my Prelude, and all I could find were Chinese ditchfinders :( I ended up scoring a set of 16" wheels off CL with a set of Toyos that still had decent tread remaining instead. Too bad the tires are old as gently caress and turned into dryrotted hockey pucks way before I got them. One of them cracked so bad it deflated just sitting in the driveway.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Terrible Robot posted:

Terrible tire poo poo: Saw some loving doofus in a 98 Civic with the SOHC economy VTEC engine that has maybe a fart-can and hot air intake, running loving Nitto DOT slicks. In the winter. A week after we got 9 inches of snow.

Goodyear Eagle F1s were fun in the snow on my Mazdaspeed Protege. You just had to be reaaaaallly gentle.

I ran Nitto slicks for a month one summer when I punctured one of my street tires and just swapped my track tires on. They got a little dicey in heavy rain.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I drove in the snow with my hankook v12s twice and found the car to be nearly undriveable. That reminds me that I need new summer tires this year.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fucknag posted:

Would it be difficult to source a set of 15s that look decent and fit? I imagine it'll be a lot easier to find comparable-sized tires, though you would lose a little bit of sidewall.

I'd also lose these sweet-rear end factory wheel covers

But yes, I have considered getting a set of Cragars (or the like) in 15" with new tires. About $1800 plus shipping. 'Spensive way to find out if my current tires (also pictured there) are indeed the crap that I suspect that they are.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

Dudes just trying to get his hoon on bro.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I did a few Long Island winters on Kumho Ecsta Supras in my BMW 840ci. There were a few hairy moments (example: nearly sliding off an expressway), and a few embarrassing moments (example: inability to get out of a level parking space at work with 1/4" of slush on the ground) until I wised up and finally got something better suited to winter.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Facebook versions of car forums. Seem to be universally terrible.

Just scored a double!

Some of these guys won't even do us the honor of using complete sentences..

drukqs fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 13, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
The tires my car came with are made by Forceum. Before I looked them up, I didn't know there were tire plants in Indonesia

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Indonesia and its neighbours are some of the biggest producers of rubber in the world, it would sort of stand to reason. The Japanese launched WW2 partially in an attempt to get at all that sweet sweet rubber.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Every day at work I upsell & fit respected tyre brands like

-Triangle
-Goodride
-Ling-Long

-Supercat

-Nexen
-Kingstar

Needless to say, our tyre machine hates life itself.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Every day at work I upsell & fit respected tyre brands like

-Nexen

Needless to say, our tyre machine hates life itself.

Have their uses.

The compound is slightly harder than granite, making them a decent choice for trailer tyres.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A friend of mine was using Nexen for boat bumpers. Cracked the goddamn dock.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

IPCRESS posted:

Have their uses.

The compound is slightly harder than granite, making them a decent choice for trailer tyres.

I had a set of Nexens on my Cherokee Sport. They were actually pretty good tires. I thought they compared favorably to the Pirelli P Zeros I put on my Saturn before that.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I paid like £320 including fitting for a set of Falken ZE914s, 205/55/16 front, 225/50/16 rear. Really nice tire.

I hated my old car so I just got junkyard preused whenever I needed them. All 4 tires were of different makes. :negative:

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
The first rear tyre change on my car will be coming up soon and my wallet is not looking forward to it, 225/35/19 front and 255/30/19 rear. About £250 per rear :(

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Falken posted:

I paid like £320 including fitting for a set of Falken ZE914s, 205/55/16 front, 225/50/16 rear. Really nice tire.

I hated my old car so I just got junkyard preused whenever I needed them. All 4 tires were of different makes. :negative:

That's a good price but Falken's aren't really an off-brand, so I'd hope they are decent.

All the random tire manufacturers amaze me. Is there anywhere that lists which "off-brand" tires are actually just rebranded name-brand tires? I know some of the shops like Big-O sell some stuff as their store brand that are really just Michelin or whatever (and aren't a whole lot cheaper, but do have a nice warranty).

And one of my pet peeves is seeing someone driving 60+ on the highway on a temporary spare. Sometimes I'll see them a few days later still driving on it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

subx posted:

That's a good price but Falken's aren't really an off-brand, so I'd hope they are decent.

All the random tire manufacturers amaze me. Is there anywhere that lists which "off-brand" tires are actually just rebranded name-brand tires? I know some of the shops like Big-O sell some stuff as their store brand that are really just Michelin or whatever (and aren't a whole lot cheaper, but do have a nice warranty).

And one of my pet peeves is seeing someone driving 60+ on the highway on a temporary spare. Sometimes I'll see them a few days later still driving on it.

On the drive axle no less.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

subx posted:

I've been "raced" in a civic who had a spare on their driver's side front axle. It went about as well as you'd expected. I think I even heard it screech as he floored it. :psyduck:

I should start taking photos of cars around my neighborhood, there's a lot of terrible car stuff to be found.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I've been "raced" in a civic who had a spare on their driver's side front axle. It went about as well as you'd expected. I think I even heard it screech as he floored it. :psyduck:

I should start taking photos of cars around my neighborhood, there's a lot of terrible car stuff to be found.

One of us...one of us...

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Guinness posted:

I was in western & southern China recently and the driving there was bizarre. Many of the highways are brand new, so the pavement, lane markings, and signage is all in great shape and yet nobody gives a gently caress about any of that. Even calling them "suggestions" would be generous. People just drive wherever the hell they want, park wherever they want, drive with all their lights off at night, etc. 4 lane highways are only 2 lanes because people drive for miles on top of the lane dividers... or 2 lane highways are 4 lanes because why the hell not. Multiple times I saw people driving in reverse on the highway because they missed their exit... or because they just didn't give a gently caress.

Also, to make things worse, due to the rapid development and urbanization of the country the majority of people driving in China have less than 5 years experience and they are driving 1980s-era equivalent vehicles.

Driving almost anywhere in Asia is already an adventure, but China is just amateur hour all over the place.

But the nice thing about China's development and future planning in regards to their road infrastructure is that when you're in a 'smaller' city (under 1 million) the roads are deserted. The latest Top Gear episode touched on this a bit, it wasn't much of an exaggeration.

Here's Huayin, a city of about 1/4 million, that I visited in 2012. You can really see all the new roads and what is about to be built there soon. With how big the roads are there, it felt like a ghost town.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@34.581666,110.0923941,468m/data=!3m1!1e3

Beijing, however, is a clusterfuck like nothing else

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

neckbeard posted:

But the nice thing about China's development and future planning in regards to their road infrastructure is that when you're in a 'smaller' city (under 1 million) the roads are deserted. The latest Top Gear episode touched on this a bit, it wasn't much of an exaggeration.

Here's Huayin, a city of about 1/4 million, that I visited in 2012. You can really see all the new roads and what is about to be built there soon. With how big the roads are there, it felt like a ghost town.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@34.581666,110.0923941,468m/data=!3m1!1e3

Beijing, however, is a clusterfuck like nothing else

That episode was in Burma though. I'm just an ignorant American, but isn't that 'not China'?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
The GF's Camry that she bought from a dealership with *New Tires!* came with Nexens. I drove them in a couple inches of snow. They work.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Neptr posted:

The GF's Camry that she bought from a dealership with *New Tires!* came with Nexens. I drove them in a couple inches of snow. They work.

not to continue this derail, but nexen is korean, like hankook and kumho.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I run Coopers on my cars because they're a great balance of affordability, durability, and grip, and they make a great all-season tire. Well, that and the G1 transformers with rubber tires all ran Cooper Cobras, which is how I learned about the brand as a child. I run Dunlops on my bikes and they're pretty okay.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

drukqs posted:

Facebook versions of car forums. Seem to be universally terrible.

A public flogging for anyone who uses that passive aggressive "let me google that for you" poo poo. It takes less effort to just say 'google it' if giving advice is truly so far beneath your attention. Granted, if you're looking for useful information of any kind on Facebook, you may be in the wrong place.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 13, 2014

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I haven't been in enough near misses to justify this, and recording stupidity, while fun, is not worth $50 to this poor college student.

Then again, I paid for an account to an internet forum to talk about cars, games and technology, so what the hell.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Had this terrible issue with my taillights, trunk loosening when braking, etc. found this:

Previous owner decided to replace trunk harness while doing a sick rear fog mod. See those twisted wires? Power and grounds for everything in the decklid. All of them were literally twisted together and taped. Good job, guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Since we're on the subject of tires: anyone use continental extreme contacts for winter? I put them on cars all day at work but haven't tried them in the snow.