Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.
I would, and do, play with old models on only. If I wanted something jazzier, I'd definitely go Froglok. Whoever made the Froglok models should have been in charge of making new-new models all around. God those Luclin models suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I think your problem is that the Luclin models are terrible in every possible way :colbert:

e: beaten. Although to be fair, I think the iksar and maybe trolls look better than their Luclin counterparts. The animations are still so bad though.

acumen fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 12, 2014

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I don't think you could find a single person who thinks the Luclin models look better than the originals.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Yeah I was giving them a chance after my return but I've been turning them off one by one again. I think after 10 years I can be sure my dislike isn't just 'change is bad' reactionary :v:

I still can't believe erudite foreheads are a thing that actually happened.

I'm keeping Luclin barbarians and ogres though, those came out fairly alright.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 12, 2014

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

qxx posted:

I've played a Warrior for 14 years and I'd be happy to try and answer any question you may have about picking your AA lines at level intervals if you're still stuck.

Sup, guess RoI is the unofficial goon guild, with two of us there? Maybe 3 if we would take another paladin.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

qxx posted:

I would, and do, play with old models on only. If I wanted something jazzier, I'd definitely go Froglok. Whoever made the Froglok models should have been in charge of making new-new models all around. God those Luclin models suck.

Hey cool, you post here too. This is Ed.

catrkoraz
Sep 9, 2006

jetz0r posted:

Sup, guess RoI is the unofficial goon guild, with two of us there? Maybe 3 if we would take another paladin.

Three, possibly more is the correct answer.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

catrkoraz posted:

Three, possibly more is the correct answer.

Thank god. I've been trying to keep that a secret for a long time.

catrkoraz
Sep 9, 2006
I had to make sure Illa isn't up to anything nefarious!

I'm the loot officer of ROI, Corlen. I play a shaman and like to think I know a decent amount of the class and how to play it in a raid setting.

Node (Edrick) and I have been grouping a bit for a while now - he's a good guy.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

catrkoraz posted:

Too late, already leaked our strategy of using Denyu to tank WK1.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Another Heroic Character question - the Welcome Back shows the differences between a Gold and Silver account. My original intent was to make my characters on Live Heroic and then /testcopy them over. Am I gimping myself if I do that since my accounts are all free accounts right now? Should I just go to Test and make them Heroic?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Medullah posted:

Another Heroic Character question - the Welcome Back shows the differences between a Gold and Silver account. My original intent was to make my characters on Live Heroic and then /testcopy them over. Am I gimping myself if I do that since my accounts are all free accounts right now? Should I just go to Test and make them Heroic?

Creating your heroic on Live and /testcopying is fine. All the gold features should get activated on your character/account while logged into Test.

Is there some aspect in particular that you're worried about, that you think might not happen?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Devor posted:

Creating your heroic on Live and /testcopying is fine. All the gold features should get activated on your character/account while logged into Test.

Is there some aspect in particular that you're worried about, that you think might not happen?

I think I was reading that wrong, mostly about the AAs being limited - was worried I'd make the character on Live, testcopy and not have all the auto-granted AAs.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Medullah posted:

I think I was reading that wrong, mostly about the AAs being limited - was worried I'd make the character on Live, testcopy and not have all the auto-granted AAs.

The heroics come with maxed AA's for level 85 - even if you have silver. You can't earn MORE AA's than that on Live, because you're capped at 1000 AA's on silver accounts. But once you copy to Test, you're gold and can earn AA's again.

And regardless, when you have a character who is allowed to have Auto-grant (Gold on live, or anyone on Test), you are re-autogranted the AA's every time you zone.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

catrkoraz posted:

I'm the loot officer of ROI, Corlen. I play a shaman and like to think I know a decent amount of the class and how to play it in a raid setting.

Speaking of grouping, check in on game already so we can do this grouping thing. Since apparently we don't raid anymore on Wednesdays :mad:.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Any suggestions on a decent way to use my three free heroic cash-ins?

Account 1: 90 wizard, 90 monk
account 2: 90 shaman
account 3: 85 bard

I was thinking maybe a shadowknight on account one, a cleric on 2, and enchanter on 3? I'm a few expansions behind. account 2 and 3 are usually silver. At this point I'm looking for a lazy combo since I hate mashing hotkeys all day and really only want to play one character most of the time.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 13, 2014

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
My mage is pretty ridiculously easy to play at a decent effectiveness, and I'd assume necros would be as well.

I created an enchanter to use with a new 3box team of heroic characters and they look like a decent sub for my bard.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

catrkoraz posted:

Oh my goodness. I should have known our guild was gooned up. Qulas today got all excited that there was a 'new eq forum' to post on until I told him it was paid membership. That fool lost interest quick.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Do any of you pallies know if Chestplate of the Dark Flame stacks with whatever self buffs pallies have?

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=112934

I have one on FV and not sure if it's worth recopying over for the pally I'm making because gently caress warriors are too boring to play.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

catrkoraz posted:

You pretty much don't have to worry about it here. No goons really play anymore at all except the quiet RoI people, Illa, and a few people here and there who gently caress around on Test. I think Darkhand is probably the only other active thread goon with any interest in raiding and he's on Test with me. He and I were the only active raiding goons other than RoI for a long time and neither of us gives a poo poo to leak any sick strats or whatever. Neither of us is leaving Test or posting on any other forum, so who cares.

I only log in to piss people off and he only logs in because he hasn't been in the guild for the extra 4 months it took me to graduate from "I don't give a poo poo but I still raid" to "I literally don't give a poo poo at all and only log in to anger people". Give it a couple months and this thread will seriously have no raiding posters who aren't in RoI. This is about as safe as poo poo gets unless you're worried Test might suddenly jump from chapterhouse to beating xorbb (Won't happen regardless of strats)

Edit - tell Qulas I'll buy him an account just so I can talk poo poo about Wonton Noodletank with him here, he'll understand :3:

^^^ That chest click does NOT stack with anything SK due to proc self-buffs, so I doubt it does for pallies either unless you have no self-buff procs.

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 13, 2014

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

Devor posted:

The heroics come with maxed AA's for level 85 - even if you have silver. You can't earn MORE AA's than that on Live, because you're capped at 1000 AA's on silver accounts. But once you copy to Test, you're gold and can earn AA's again.

And regardless, when you have a character who is allowed to have Auto-grant (Gold on live, or anyone on Test), you are re-autogranted the AA's every time you zone.

So I just found this out after getting all my gear up through level 92 ready to copy over on all my shiny new heroic bros:

And making a heroic on live does indeed use your free heroic on test as well. Not that huge of a deal for me; I'm just going to make the bard I want for my Test group on test itself, I suppose.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I've also known Corlen was a goon for a really long time but I decided to keep it secret since he's been a lurker here forever. Puppetmaster ~

qxx posted:

Oh my goodness. I should have known our guild was gooned up. Qulas today got all excited that there was a 'new eq forum' to post on until I told him it was paid membership. That fool lost interest quick.

I want to rub your sword.

Midnight City posted:

Do any of you pallies know if Chestplate of the Dark Flame stacks with whatever self buffs pallies have?

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=112934

I have one on FV and not sure if it's worth recopying over for the pally I'm making because gently caress warriors are too boring to play.

It doesn't stack. It's also annoying because it has a pushback, and the stun component lasts for just an instant. It's not like the days where you had to get a stun or a bash in before a mob CHs or gates, so like 99% of the time these days you don't need to worry about preventing a mob from casting a spell that you can stop by stunning or bashing.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Node posted:

It doesn't stack. It's also annoying because it has a pushback, and the stun component lasts for just an instant. It's not like the days where you had to get a stun or a bash in before a mob CHs or gates, so like 99% of the time these days you don't need to worry about preventing a mob from casting a spell that you can stop by stunning or bashing.

drat. I didn't think it would but wanted to make sure, it was really good for the war's aggro though.

I'm probably going to start asking a lot of basic pally questions, completely tired of SKing it up and warrior was too dull, I need some unicorn action to spice things up.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 13, 2014

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I learned about losing Augur earlier today, and this was after talking to him for 30 minutes a couple days ago, including telling him about a bug in one of his missions that he didn't know about. You can thank or hate me for the change that the escaping bixies in The Thunder Gun Escape don't leave corpses anymore. They could drop regular bixie loot, so you could just sit there and let the clicknar death touch bixies for 25 minutes, loot the dozens of corpses, get countless gems, TS items, purity augs, and 2-3 bixie ornaments, and repeat. He said thanks, I had no idea, I'll hotfix that later today! and there it was, on today's patch.

Then he's gone. Dzarn is, literally, the only good developer we have left. Augur was, and still is, awesome, but now he's working on a shittier game. He was incredibly communicative, really friendly, and seemed to really care about the game.

Really loving awful news.

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006
Hey I raid, you should know this by the fact I post my stream and try to convince people to let me PL them on Drinal exclusively. Also I'm going to steal all of the leet strats of guys do all the dps and loot the chest that pops at the end.

Really no reason to be secret squirrel about strats unless you are exploiting, which isn't necessary because the raids are easy.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
So I'm curious how good the EQ devs are at keeping within their downtime estimates for patches these days? I remember it was pretty bad 10 years ago, and Sony's Planetside 2 crew were so bad at this that they literally never managed to get servers back up in time even after they switched from '4 hours' to 'up to 5' then 6, and now they just stopped putting up downtime estimates at all, just "This is when servers go down" and nothing else. Those guys literally always went overtime by at least an hour, often 2-3 :v:

Made me feel right at home honestly, but maybe the devs working on EQ today are better able to finish applying a patch in time?

I think playing City of Heroes spoiled me, those guys would set themselves a downtime window and regularly be done an hour early, which was shocking to me at the time, having just quit EQ.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I'm sorry other dude who asked about /testcopying Heroics, I hope you didn't waste your free heroes :ohdear: Just to clarify, that screenshot that dude posted shows that you CANNOT copy heroic guys to Test. For some loving reason.

Poistiant posted:

Hey I raid, you should know this by the fact I post my stream and try to convince people to let me PL them on Drinal exclusively. Also I'm going to steal all of the leet strats of guys do all the dps and loot the chest that pops at the end.

Really no reason to be secret squirrel about strats unless you are exploiting, which isn't necessary because the raids are easy.

When I read your posts, they have a West Virginia accent in my head :allears:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Devor posted:

I'm sorry other dude who asked about /testcopying Heroics, I hope you didn't waste your free heroes :ohdear: Just to clarify, that screenshot that dude posted shows that you CANNOT copy heroic guys to Test. For some loving reason.

I had a sneaking suspicion something like that was going to happen, which is why I was asking. :) Is there any posts or anything on the official forums discussing it? I'll likely just go through and do my characters on Test since I really can't see myself multi-boxing on anything other than Test, and the last time I played on Zek I was depressed at how badly I got murdered.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The downside to Test is that it's a test server - the devs don't give much of a poo poo about it since to them it's just a testbed for live. That's why things like chat channels being broken go on for weeks at a time. They're not going to announce things like test to live discrepancies because they frankly don't care.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
How swarmable is a heroic 85 SK ? Would they need a bunch of equipment upgrades ?

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

Node posted:

I want to rub your sword.

Thissun? You might just have to settle for having me in your mouth.

So what did everyone do for their first Heroic Character? I cooked up a Halfling Druid to be my forage pig. I had a ~70 druid on Drinal which I used to use but never brought her over when I xfered to Xegony last year. So I'm happy to save the cash and get a much better geared/AA'd one for free, even if it's just for foraging. The only adjustment I had to make was to rank the Racial Innate forage on him since that isn't auto-granted; 3AA which I grabbed quick on the bixie weapon collection. I don't think I'll level this specific one up since the foraging potential is peaked as is.

I want to add another to my box crew and I was inclined to make it an ENC for CC and buffs (currently running my WAR and a SHM & NEC alongside). The other option is BRD, I suppose. I'm less inclined because I haven't played a BRD much beyond an /autofollow + /melody bot which might actually still boost my group up significantly. I'm just weary about melee bots since it is a pain to wrangle multiple melees in a group without using 3rd party stuff and I don't even use ISBoxer.

But the more I think about it, the more I'm realizing the current level of difficulty in Heroic Adventures and such doesn't even require crowd control so the ENC may be a waste; BRD may be the way to go. Any other suggestions to augment Team Qxx? Something that doesn't take a ton of manual attention to make a good impact in the group, probably in the DPS area if not CC. I'd guess Mage?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I had 5 heroic chars to gently caress around with, so I rolled a paladin, necro, mage, wizard and enchanter. Still working on getting my main box crew to 100, so hopefully by the time I get around to these new guys the crazy rush of 85s will have worn off a bit.

My main crew is at 96 now: monk, druid, bard, shaman and warrior. I've also got an 80 sk and 80 cleric hanging around too. Christ I have played way too much EQ over the years.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 13, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Q are you still raiding after Triality retired from EQ1?

RIP vazaelle...

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

Dubious posted:

Q are you still raiding after Triality retired from EQ1?

RIP vazaelle...

RIP Vazaelle indeed. I was just sort of reliving the community that Vazaelle had between 2001-2003; poo poo was unparalleled. The VCC forums are actually still up, for the most part. The 'Archives' with all the classic threads are still there anyway.

11 years in Triality and I thought that I'd be done once Triality was done but I still love raiding and playing EQ so I ended up transferring to Xegony and meeting up with some friends in RoI. The whole Triality retiring thing sucked but it would have sucked 100 times more if I didn't make the move to Xegony. I'm really digging it. I think I joined up with RoI in September and poo poo has been muy bueno since. Fuckin' RoI...them creeps can roll, man.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I made a heroic berserker because I'm a glutton for pain and punishment. I think half the server made heroic melees, just because they are awful to box and to PL.

Vhampir started a pickup NToV raid and we had like 30 people show up. Was pretty cool and I made all the new warriors tank to get a feel for it. They did good when they listened :unsmith:. Then I topped the charts with my group geared rogue

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I'm actually considering using one of my heroics on my main raider, because gently caress DoN factioning.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
So it's progression server storytime!

About two weeks ago they made transfers FROM Vulak TO Fippy allowable (but not the other way around). Our choice was to wait until the server was officially murdered due to lack of players and get a free merge, or make the jump and just pay for it. Given that we weren't killing Vyskudra or Kerafyrm anymore, 90% of the guild immediately said jump, with 75% able to pay their own way (some of us helped those that couldn't) and immediately things were on the upswing as we got a few recruits to fill gaps, and between the two weeks of full, legit raids, we've cleared everything in SoF and are probably gonna swing back to Solteris tonight.

Amongst these apps, however, we picked up a warrior named Dvusz. Seemed like a good guy, and our officers decided that we really needed a warrior since two of ours took some of the best loot and dipped out due to 'boredom' or 'masturbation' or whatever other reason. As such, we threw a poo poo ton of loot at him with the expectation that he'd soon be tanking things.

Two nights ago, he leaves the raid without a word, which isn't unusual for EoE. People cut out all the time, we don't really pay attention to it. Only to find out just before doing Brinda that he's apparently taken the loot we gave him and returned to his former guild, so that they could finally beat Solteris.

Only that wasn't true, the guy had been hacked and someone was now selling the geared warrior.

Only that wasn't true, the guy himself was known to do this and constantly sold characters after getting guilds to gear him up.

Now our guildleader has turned his usual paranoia about EQ into full on neurosis, and loot decisions that involve any new apps are taking roughly three times longer because he has to wring his hands about it, and this guild, although having used bots since day 1 to progress, has a raging hard on for never giving bots loot if any main, even an app that's been in the guild for 30 minutes, goes in on it.

Other than that, though, Fippy has been great and I'm glad we switched!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Hoohah posted:

Other than that, though, Fippy has been great and I'm glad we switched!

Glad they let you guys off the empty server.

My guild on EM had roughly the same thing happen about every other month, except they'd head over to another server like RZ or FV after scooping up all the rot loot they could for a month. Which led me to believe that most of the raid geared characters on those two servers were geared up on live.

The Zek players were the ones I missed, cause they were usually pretty good.

qxx posted:

But the more I think about it, the more I'm realizing the current level of difficulty in Heroic Adventures and such doesn't even require crowd control so the ENC may be a waste; BRD may be the way to go. Any other suggestions to augment Team Qxx? Something that doesn't take a ton of manual attention to make a good impact in the group, probably in the DPS area if not CC. I'd guess Mage?

Bards have the best low effort payoff for that slot. But mage or wizard would also work well for a low button press option.

All the bard spell focus songs are level capped, right? So a non-expansioned bard is still lovely for max level characters though? I feel like I should throw something on my 3rd account. Either pure buff bitch in Enc or Shm, or low effort group addition like mage, wiz or bard. But I don't plan on paying money for any expansions on that account. Throwing some Kronos at AA PLing months is still an option, though.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Bard songs are indeed level capped so if you just want some buffs I'd do an Enchanter. Although bards are great for the swiss army knife utility along with being the laziest poo poo box. Tab over to pull, hit cooldowns and switch melodys and hit selo's kick if I'm feeling saucy.

Plus whatever AAs they give you are already enough for a bard, only thing I'd miss not having 5k+ on my bard is maxed CS/CA for bad pulls and the burst buffs. poo poo, you could get 90% of useful stuff on a bard with the old 250 AA cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.
Whatever 4th box I end up going with from my HC, I'd end up leveling them to 100 for sure. It's either Bard or Mage but I think Bard because it offers so much more flexibility and ultimate lazy play.