Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

The Lord of Hats posted:

I've heard that some people put Squadron Hawk in their cube as a "draft one, get 3 free" deal, which seems kind of interesting. Anybody have experience with that? What about Urzatron in a similar package?

Every time I hear this I can't help but think that it would break cube. One of the ideas that drew me to singleton cubing is no silly shenanigans like the night Mikujin drafted a mono red deck with 6-7 fanatic of mogis :P I would always P1P1 a Squadron hawk if that put 4 at my disposal! That said does anyone have any real experience with this? Does it break things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Kleedrac posted:

Every time I hear this I can't help but think that it would break cube. One of the ideas that drew me to singleton cubing is no silly shenanigans like the night Mikujin drafted a mono red deck with 6-7 fanatic of mogis :P I would always P1P1 a Squadron hawk if that put 4 at my disposal! That said does anyone have any real experience with this? Does it break things?

I haven't personally run it but... it's still just Squadron Hawk. It's not like Lingering Souls is broken in cube (or even above average). The only rule it really breaks is giving you 3 more playables if you're short, but if that's a concern (I don't think it is, I think it's really neat) just have the extra Hawks in the "Commander zone" instead of in the player's deck.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Hopping Ghost posted:

This is kinda what I was thinking. Coming in tapped and having guild activation costs seems like it'd offset those pairs technically getting a fourth fixing land, or at least it'd be more level than cutting "turn one" fixing in some pairs. And yeah, those were the two I mostly had my eye on. The only manland I have in at present is Mutavault, which I keep meaning to swap out for Factory because I like that it can be a 3/3 blocker and tribal elements aren't super important in my cube outside of stuff like Sarcomancy.

Thanks for the perspectives!

No problem. Don't forget that Mutavault also turns on Gravecrawler, can be flung by Siege-Gang Commander, gets +1/+1 from Deranged Hermit and a few other things (including getting +1/+1 from that Mishra's Factory). But in general, I agree that the 3/3 blocker is a bigger deal. However, Factory can be Disenchanted when it's active. I'd just play both. Even at 360.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Yeah, I feel like the "3 free on-color evasion weenies in my deck" is a bigger advantage in a draft than actually fetching them, so I'm down with the Command Zone idea. I'm not sure if it's still too strong, but it's not disruptive as something like Skullclamp so it's worth playing with.

edit: Sorry, looking at this from the perspective of a Peasant Cube owner so it terms of power level it's definitely among the elite there.

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 11, 2014

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Kasonic posted:

Yeah, I feel like the "3 free on-color evasion weenies in my deck" is a bigger advantage in a draft than actually fetching them, so I'm down with the Command Zone idea. I'm not sure if it's still too strong, but it's not disruptive as something like Skullclamp so it's worth playing with.

I honestly don't know how it could be considered too strong with the Commander Zone idea. Squadron Hawk is a fine card but it lives alongside Upheaval, Jace TMS, Grim Monolith, and even better white weenie cards like Lingering Souls. I feel like Hawk gets a reputation for being stronger than it actually is because it made its name tag-teaming with two *actually* broken cards.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The Lord of Hats posted:

I've heard that some people put Squadron Hawk in their cube as a "draft one, get 3 free" deal, which seems kind of interesting. Anybody have experience with that? What about Urzatron in a similar package?

I do this in my cube, and whilst several of the other people I play with really like the hawks, I've always been a bit underwhelmed by them. If you want to maximise them, you have to cut three other good cards, and in a forty card deck the chances of drawing more than one are obviously much higher. On the other hand, it is one of the few good ways a white aggressive deck can gain card advantage, and they do interact well with cards like Survival of the Fittest and Vengevine. They're certainly not game-breaking.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Every time I take my pauper Cube to my LGS, people get bored after the first two rounds max, some players after the very first round.

So I am fixing this issue tomorrow by taking my pauper Cube along, as normal, except after we draft we're gonna split into two 4man multiplayer games ala Conspiracy, and see if that catchs peoples imagination.

The cube hasn't been specifically built with multiplayer in mind, but it'll feel a LOT like old school kitchen table magic I used to play back when me and my friends (who mostly don't play any more, this is a different playgroup) first started.

e; Meant to link the Cube http://tappedout.net/mtg-cube-drafts/mehalls-pauper-cube-1/

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Sounds like more an issue with the players. If they don't enjoy cubing then they don't enjoy cubing. Or they miss having more powerful cards.

I don't think turning into multiplayer is going to help fix that.

Also you should post your cube on cubetutor it would be so much easier to browse

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Nah, it's to do with Wednesday's. Wednesdays are days that anyone and everyone turns up and plays whatever, and people feel bad about missing out on playing other things, so they drop.

My friends cube is not Pauper and he has similar issues of people not wanting to wait around and wanting to play their 60 decks, or get in on multiplayer action.

This way, if there's only one game for them to actually play after the draft itself, they get to draft, play, and have plenty of time for other games. (Also, it stops super competitive players from making individual matches unfun for some of the more casual players.)

and here we are, on cubetutor now: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/9653

e; and I bring it on wednesdays because every other day in the store there is another kind of event on, except saturdays and sundays and I work most of those.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

mehall posted:

Every time I take my pauper Cube to my LGS, people get bored after the first two rounds max, some players after the very first round.

So I am fixing this issue tomorrow by taking my pauper Cube along, as normal, except after we draft we're gonna split into two 4man multiplayer games ala Conspiracy, and see if that catchs peoples imagination.

The cube hasn't been specifically built with multiplayer in mind, but it'll feel a LOT like old school kitchen table magic I used to play back when me and my friends (who mostly don't play any more, this is a different playgroup) first started.

e; Meant to link the Cube http://tappedout.net/mtg-cube-drafts/mehalls-pauper-cube-1/

You might know this already, but 5 packs of 9 instead of 3 packs of 15 works MUCH better for 4 man pods.

:ninja: edit: also, your lack of E-Wit in your Cube is actively offensive to me

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

We'll be drafting 8man, then splitting to two separate 4man games, rather than it being 4man pods.

e-wit?

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
Eternal Witness:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370427

(gently caress, you said Pauper, not Peasant)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

FLEXBONER posted:

Eternal Witness:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370427

(gently caress, you said Pauper, not Peasant)

I thought that's what you meant, but knew she is uncommon, thought you might have been meaning something else :P

Pretty sure all my copies are in decks just now anyway, so unsure if I'd have one spare for the cube even if it wasn't pauper.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Lord of Hats posted:

I know someone who had a "you get 4 of every card you draft" cube, but I never actually played it. I don't known how many packs they drafted of it. It sounded broken. I think the idea was to build 60 card decks.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Entropic posted:

I know someone who had a "you get 4 of every card you draft" cube, but I never actually played it. I don't known how many packs they drafted of it. It sounded broken. I think the idea was to build 60 card decks.

That sounds horrible, but I wanna do it with the MTGO cube.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

My friends and I want to make a cube from the (pretty large at this point) pool of cards we have, and its a little daunting honestly. What's the best way to approach this? Dig through for cards we think are cool and put them in, or should we think of what archetypes we want to play and see what cards fit into them and work from there. There's just a lot to keep track of with color balance and such too. Ideally we'd like to start with what we have and go from there.
Bonus to us if we include a worldslayer archetype.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
My Peasant cube has been updated using some of the advice in this thread! I'd love some more comments! http://kp0.ca/13

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Kleedrac posted:

My Peasant cube has been updated using some of the advice in this thread! I'd love some more comments! http://kp0.ca/13
I did a quick comparison to my cube using Cubetutor's Compare Cubes tool, and here are the thoughts I came up with.

*Overall, your cube is probably ready to just get sleeved up and drafted once you have all the cards. You're in a very good place.

*You should consider Lashknife Barrier in your white section. It's been one of the best white cards in my cube since I put it in. Makes combat a nightmare for your opponent and blanks a lot of burn spells.
*I'm not a fan of Knight of Cliffhaven. Spending two turns to make a 2/3 flyer seems pretty subpar. Accorder Paladin, Daring Skyjek, Mistral Charger and Youthful Knight would all be fine replacements.

*Brainstorm is a bad card in Peasant cube because there aren't enough shuffle effects. Draw 3, put 2 back is just a really underwhelming effect if you can't get rid of the 2 that you put back. Looking more closely, I see you run the Panoramas, so Brainstorm is probably better in your cube than mine, but I'm still not a huge fan.
*I would probably run Calcite Snapper instead of Wall of Frost. It serves a similar function of being a beefy, hard to remove "wall", but also has the upside of being a finisher and can just beat down on an empty board.

*Servant of Tymaret seems underwhelming. You may want to consider one of Chittering Rats, Dead Reveler, Mogis's Marauder, or Ogre Marauder instead.
*You should be running Curse of Shallow Graves, probably in place of Buried Alive. I see that you have a lot of support for the reanimation strategy in your cube, but I've found that there's just not enough good targets for it at the common/uncommon level to make that strategy particularly viable.

*I'd try to find room for Goblin Bombardment and Lust for War in red. They're consistently two of the best red cards in my cube. Bombardment makes all your opponent's removal really bad and combos well with Threaten-type effects, and Lust for War forces your opponent to race you even if they don't really want to.

*Curse of Predation definitely deserves a spot in your green section. Holy cow does that card get out of hand fast if left unchecked.

*I'm still not a huge fan of Terminate and Mortify as cards in the multicolor section. I'd rather have cards that do something unique in my multicolor slots, but that does come down to personal preference.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

RME posted:

My friends and I want to make a cube from the (pretty large at this point) pool of cards we have, and its a little daunting honestly. What's the best way to approach this? Dig through for cards we think are cool and put them in, or should we think of what archetypes we want to play and see what cards fit into them and work from there. There's just a lot to keep track of with color balance and such too. Ideally we'd like to start with what we have and go from there.
Bonus to us if we include a worldslayer archetype.

Yeah you should just start getting cards together and see what your group likes and doesn't. I'd aim for 360 to start with. The most important things at the beginning are colour balance and making sure there's nothing too unfun in there. You can start worrying about archetypes later.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Yah we have a 360 Cube of just random poo poo thrown in that was a bunch of leftovers from random old collections. We've been slowly weeding out stuff that wasn't fun/being used as time has gone on and just keep refining it. You definitely don't have to go with a big popular tuned list (while Im sure those are great fun too).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

revengeanceful posted:

*I'm not a fan of Knight of Cliffhaven. Spending two turns to make a 2/3 flyer seems pretty subpar. Accorder Paladin, Daring Skyjek, Mistral Charger and Youthful Knight would all be fine replacements.

About levelers in the abstract this is a really poor opinion. Not every card can be student of warfare levels of game-ending, but the point is that you get a bear Glory Seeker Traveling Philosopher which is a solid body in an underpowered format like Peasant cube that lets you get a Serra Angel even if you do nothing but topdeck lands. Levelers always look underpowered if you try to think them as curve fillers, even the really powerful ones. Knight of Cliffhaven is a perfectly fine card, especially in a format with no Student of Warfare :colbert:.

Also 2WW 4W for a 2/3 flier isn't that bad anyway.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 13, 2014

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Yeah I get all of that, I just don't think it's good enough even for an underpowered format like Peasant cube. If I'm looking for a bear with upside, I'd look to Syndic of Tithes before I look at something like Knight of Cliffhaven because it encourages me to develop my board rather than encouraging me to go all-in on one guy. Also, to clarify, it would be 4W for a 2/3 flying, which is quite poor in Peasant cube. I do understand how good leveling creatures can be, which is why I run Beastbreaker of Bala Ged in my cube, but I don't think the Knight is on that same level.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Knight of cliffhaven can often be better than beastbreaker, simply due to the evasion.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I haven't played with them that much myself, but it sounds like the concept is sorta like kicker, or charms/commands - each option on its own is pretty mediocre, but the flexibility is supposed to make up for it. 1W for a 2/2 is boring, 4W total for a 2/3 flier is just okay, and 14 total mana for a Serra Angel just sounds bad. But if you think of it as a two-drop when you need one, a flier when you can spare a little extra mana, and an Angel when you topdeck it late, all in one card, it looks a little better.

All that said, I'd rather have the more aggressive two-drops in white since typically aggro decks need a lot of support to be viable, if you think you want to support aggro. When drafting, Daring Skyjek and Accorder Paladin are cards that make me want to go into W/x aggro, while Knight of Cliffhaven is just a curve-filler.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Accorder Paladin is very good in cube.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

revengeanceful posted:

I did a quick comparison to my cube using Cubetutor's Compare Cubes tool, and here are the thoughts I came up with.

*Overall, your cube is probably ready to just get sleeved up and drafted once you have all the cards. You're in a very good place.

*You should consider Lashknife Barrier in your white section. It's been one of the best white cards in my cube since I put it in. Makes combat a nightmare for your opponent and blanks a lot of burn spells.

*Brainstorm is a bad card in Peasant cube because there aren't enough shuffle effects. Draw 3, put 2 back is just a really underwhelming effect if you can't get rid of the 2 that you put back. Looking more closely, I see you run the Panoramas, so Brainstorm is probably better in your cube than mine, but I'm still not a huge fan.
*I would probably run Calcite Snapper instead of Wall of Frost. It serves a similar function of being a beefy, hard to remove "wall", but also has the upside of being a finisher and can just beat down on an empty board.

*Servant of Tymaret seems underwhelming. You may want to consider one of Chittering Rats, Dead Reveler, Mogis's Marauder, or Ogre Marauder instead.
*You should be running Curse of Shallow Graves, probably in place of Buried Alive. I see that you have a lot of support for the reanimation strategy in your cube, but I've found that there's just not enough good targets for it at the common/uncommon level to make that strategy particularly viable.

*I'd try to find room for Goblin Bombardment and Lust for War in red. They're consistently two of the best red cards in my cube. Bombardment makes all your opponent's removal really bad and combos well with Threaten-type effects, and Lust for War forces your opponent to race you even if they don't really want to.

*Curse of Predation definitely deserves a spot in your green section. Holy cow does that card get out of hand fast if left unchecked.

*I'm still not a huge fan of Terminate and Mortify as cards in the multicolor section. I'd rather have cards that do something unique in my multicolor slots, but that does come down to personal preference.

I wanted to respond to this;
I'm trying to find a place for Lashknife Barrier as I think you're right about this one - just not sure what to cut.
I personally like Knight of Cliffhaven and think he's better than most 2 drops as if you are drawing dead he'll gain evasion and eventually become Serra Angel
I like Brainstorm and think I have enough shuffle effects to make it good.
I actually cut Calcite Snapper for Wall of Frost - I think it does a better job of shutting down aggro strategies and helps protect blue for the early-mid game.
Servant of Tymaret is kinda a pet card as that thing won me draft after draft as well as one of the prerelease sealed tournies.
I already cut Buried Alive but you're not wrong I want to add Curse of Shallow Graves and Curse of Predation - just need to find room.
The red cards you wanna add I'm still looking at - they're on the maybe list but I'm not sure what I'd cut for them and if I increase the enchantment count too high I'll need to find room for some more answers.
I'm a big fan of Terminate/Mortify but if you have any in-guild suggestions I'd like to hear them :)

Thanks for the feedback :) It's still a work in progress.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Hey fellas, figured I'd drop by and get some feedback on the cube I've been putting together.

Cube is largely rooted in its original designs borrowed from our very own whitewolf123, although a number of changes have been made to it over time. A major notable is the seemingly odd number: 465. The reason for this is to support two pet cards I've got in the cube - namely Stocking Tiger and Booster Tutor. While it's unlikely we'd have enough folks playing to tap out the entirety of card pool in a draft, I wanted to make certain that if we do get a larger group going, or do something like sealed, that these cards would always have something to hit, since it's always fun to dig into more cards.

Anyway, any and all feedback would be appreciated, I've not nearly the experience as many of you here do.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

Mikujin posted:

Hey fellas, figured I'd drop by and get some feedback on the cube I've been putting together.

Cube is largely rooted in its original designs borrowed from our very own whitewolf123, although a number of changes have been made to it over time. A major notable is the seemingly odd number: 465. The reason for this is to support two pet cards I've got in the cube - namely Stocking Tiger and Booster Tutor. While it's unlikely we'd have enough folks playing to tap out the entirety of card pool in a draft, I wanted to make certain that if we do get a larger group going, or do something like sealed, that these cards would always have something to hit, since it's always fun to dig into more cards.

Anyway, any and all feedback would be appreciated, I've not nearly the experience as many of you here do.

How has Stocking Tiger been working out for you? I run Booster Tutor and love having it in there (my cube is at 541, so Booster Tutor can be excluded on the odd case of fully using the cube). I'm just not sure that I really like the headache involved with a 3/3 for 5 that throws a full-pack at a player on the odd chance it hits.

Of course, there was the time a guy got Booster Tutor on an Isochron Scepter, so adding a ton of cards is still quite possible anyway.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

You cut Calcite Snapper over Wall of Frost? That's weird, cause in my experience Calcite Snapper is one of the best creatures in peasant cube. Especially at slowing down aggro, I'd say it's wayyy better than Wall of Frost. The one power matters a lot, while the extra toughness really isn't a big deal. Plus, if the aggro player has some 2/1 creatures, they just can't attack, whereas aggro is fine to attack into Wall of Frost all day, since it's better than just not attacking with anything. And then of course there's shroud, which means that it doesn't die to random Doom Blades and Tragic Slips or whatever.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Bonus's experience with Snapper matches my own, hence my recommendation that Snapper be included over Wall of Frost.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Calcite Snapper is also a turtle; a turtle with a name that is ridiculously fun to pronounce.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

So I'm proxying up a 450 card powered cube. The good proxies made from transparencies. I have it about where I want it and I've been using highest picked % cards from cubes all over the internet with a few of my favorites thrown in as well. If you bros want to take a look and maybe draft it with yourself, well that would be just fine. The bots are awful, though, and pass up power 9 for God knows what.

http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/9782

I have gone back and fourth on whether or not to add the signets and Tezzerets to support the artifact deck. It seems a bit weak. I feel the same way about the Eldrazi; they really only function in Sneak and Show. Other than those, am I missing anything that I overlooked?

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Some updates of my proxies... I never managed to snap a picture of the foil revised lands I made. If anyone's interested I can snap a picture of them and upload them as well.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Null1fy posted:

Some updates of my proxies... I never managed to snap a picture of the foil revised lands I made. If anyone's interested I can snap a picture of them and upload them as well.

How could I do this o.o

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Sampatrick posted:

How could I do this o.o

This reddit post was the beginning of my research into printing proxies. I started to scour the internet and I found that the MTG Salvation forums has a great thread that includes a lot of tutorials. Basically, I used photoshop to make a template to print the cards out on, I printed the cards onto transparencies, then glued them onto stripped foils such that the ink on the transparencies glue to the face of the card so they will (hopefully) never fade.

I should note that there are methods to print directly onto cards but that is really dubious in terms of legality. I used transparencies so that I could never be accused of trying to doctor passable real cards. If I had a little more money I might have tried the window decal method, but you can't seal in the ink with those.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I've been thinking about realigning the archetypes in my cube so that UB is Reanimator instead of GB and GB becomes dredge and UR is Artifacts instead of UB.

Oh also modern frame cards only.

Here's my question: I've been trying to think of cards that work well in these archetypes and this is what I've come up with:

GB Dredge:
Nighthowler
Lord of Extinction
Tarmogoyf
Bonehoard
Golgari Grave Troll

UB Reanimator:
Psychatog
Vexing Sphinx
A bunch of reanimator cards that are already in my cube

UR Artifacts:
Shrapnel Blast
Myr Retriever
Solemn Simulacrum
Perilous Myr
Goblin Welder
Hammer of Purphoros
Trash for Treasure
Etherium Horn Sorcerer
Arcbound Ravager
Mizzium Transreliquat

Specifically, I'm curious if anyone has tried Dredge in their cube before and how well its worked out, also if I'm particularly missing any cards that might work well in these archetypes. Looking for more cards that promote having a large graveyard.

Specifically, I'm looking for good Red artifact cards. It seems like a lot of the good red cards are on the sacrific-y side so it seems like a good idea to load the cube with artifacts that want to die and ways to enable that. I already have Atog in the cube but I wasn't sure if maybe I missed one of the good artifact sacrifice outlets?

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 25, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Null1fy posted:

This reddit post was the beginning of my research into printing proxies. I started to scour the internet and I found that the MTG Salvation forums has a great thread that includes a lot of tutorials. Basically, I used photoshop to make a template to print the cards out on, I printed the cards onto transparencies, then glued them onto stripped foils such that the ink on the transparencies glue to the face of the card so they will (hopefully) never fade.

I should note that there are methods to print directly onto cards but that is really dubious in terms of legality. I used transparencies so that I could never be accused of trying to doctor passable real cards. If I had a little more money I might have tried the window decal method, but you can't seal in the ink with those.

Not only are the decals expensive and the ink exposed, but they are also unforgiving when placing the film. With spray adhesive you can reposition the film slightly before setting it (I roll mine out with a rolling pin to get out any bubbles). They come out thinner but don't last as long and aren't worth the trouble.

...but take any advice from me with a grain of salt as I have OCD level insanity about making proxies (not exaggerating: I trim my film under a helping hands magnifier to get flawlessly flush edges and corners). It keeps the goblins asleep to do it perfectly and it means everyone else wants infinite proxies from me, so I guess it's a win for everyone in the end.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Not only are the decals expensive and the ink exposed, but they are also unforgiving when placing the film. With spray adhesive you can reposition the film slightly before setting it (I roll mine out with a rolling pin to get out any bubbles). They come out thinner but don't last as long and aren't worth the trouble.

...but take any advice from me with a grain of salt as I have OCD level insanity about making proxies (not exaggerating: I trim my film under a helping hands magnifier to get flawlessly flush edges and corners). It keeps the goblins asleep to do it perfectly and it means everyone else wants infinite proxies from me, so I guess it's a win for everyone in the end.

Did you use the CCGHQ pictures to print your proxies on? I found that the color on them is like 90% accurate but there are small discrepancies that irk me a little bit. I really, really like how mine turned out but using the FNM or GP promos, the FNM never stands out well enough and some cards (Scavenging Ooze, Scalding Tarn), etc are just a bit too dark. It's the reason I used the MM Tarmogoyf instead of the FUT one. If I could have closer to accurate colors that would be awesome, but, I remind myself they're just proxies. And I didn't cut mine to the detail you did. I just use a scissors and make like 3 cuts on the edges for a faux-smooth bevel.

Oh, also- I plan on double sleeving my real cards in KMC Perfect Fits inside of Dragon Shields and single sleeving the proxies in the Dragon Shields. I am hoping (praying, crossing my fingers, etc) that the difference in thickness will be negligible enough that people will be able to shuffle and play with intermixed cards hassle free.

Null1fy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 25, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Null1fy posted:

Did you use the CCGHQ pictures to print your proxies on? I found that the color on them is like 90% accurate but there are small discrepancies that irk me a little bit. I really, really like how mine turned out but using the FNM or GP promos, the FNM never stands out well enough and some cards (Scavenging Ooze, Scalding Tarn), etc are just a bit too dark. It's the reason I used the MM Tarmogoyf instead of the FUT one. If I could have closer to accurate colors that would be awesome, but, I remind myself they're just proxies. And I didn't cut mine to the detail you did. I just use a scissors and make like 3 cuts on the edges for a faux-smooth bevel.

No, I made all my own images in photoshop (er....GIMP, because open source bitches). I've had a few color issues, but it's mostly the art itself (particularly older cards), but by constructing it in layers I can tweak it without ruining the rest of the card.

I also use the MMA Goyf. I get special requests all the time for FUT frames, and I'll do it, but I can't get them right and the art frame is so awkward for art that wasn't designed to be put in it.

For others here who have asked about the film I use, the one I USED TO use from 3M really is gone. I finally found a new one, this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YA8RSI/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

BaronVonVaderham posted:

No, I made all my own images in photoshop (er....GIMP, because open source bitches). I've had a few color issues, but it's mostly the art itself (particularly older cards), but by constructing it in layers I can tweak it without ruining the rest of the card.

I also use the MMA Goyf. I get special requests all the time for FUT frames, and I'll do it, but I can't get them right and the art frame is so awkward for art that wasn't designed to be put in it.

For others here who have asked about the film I use, the one I USED TO use from 3M really is gone. I finally found a new one, this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YA8RSI/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You definitely went way further into this than I did. I just reaped the fruits of the hard labors of the dudes at the CCGHQ. I used that same film except the staples brand. And it was a mistake, since I paid the full price. I should have just bought them online. Can you speak on my concern about the sleeving at all?