Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

BoyBlunder posted:

Don't use CM.

Use Xposed/Gravity Box.

I've seen this around a lot lately.

For someone who has a Nexus 4, and thus a mostly bug free CM. What advantages does gravity box give me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mega Comrade posted:

For someone who has a Nexus 4, and thus a mostly bug free CM. What advantages does gravity box give me?
You don't have to replace the entire OS on your device. At this point it also offers more customisation than CM does.

Though for someone already running CM and happy with it, there is less reason to switch back. Mostly we're advising new users to try root + GB first before diving headfirst into the custom ROM scene.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm not seeing what extra customization gravity box has or why I'd want it when it still can't run under ART last I checked.

Professor Genki
Feb 13, 2012

Would you like a reality climax?
Does anyone use ProBAM/AOSB here? I think it's a really nice PAC-style rom, and the splitscreen, while it still needs work is really good for stock android.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Are the compatibility lists for custom ROMS a rough guide or a hard and fast rule?

I have an (apparently rare and exotic build of) Galaxy S3 I bought in South Korea and dearly want rid of all the bloatware garbage the carrier bundled with it. I've rooted it and got rid of a good amount of their lovely apps but I'd like a clean slate.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

joedevola posted:

Are the compatibility lists for custom ROMS a rough guide or a hard and fast rule?
Usually a hard and fast rule, especially with those oddball southeast Asian models.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
I am trying to remember the name of an app, and Google hasn't been able to help me. In the past, I used it to fix the Bluetooth Low Energy mode on my S3. IIRC, it allowed for a number of plugins to change the way programs interacted with the kernel.

edit: I found it! It's called Xposed.

accipter fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 14, 2014

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Frozen-Solid posted:

Installed the lastest CM Nightly today, and a few of my applications deleted themselves somehow. The first one I noticed was Chronus, which I have the paid version of. I just assumed that a change in CM's cLock overwrote the play store version so I just restored it from backup. Then I noticed IRSSI ConnectBot and IRSSI Notifier were gone too. Checking my Titanium Backup there were a few other odd applications missing as well.

Anyone heard of this happening?
When I had it, it seemed that every other build of CM11 would reintroduce the "rebooting deletes apps on the SD card" problem.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

GWBBQ posted:

When I had it, it seemed that every other build of CM11 would reintroduce the "rebooting deletes apps on the SD card" problem.

Not an SD card problem. I'm on a Nexus 5.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm rooted and ES File Explorer has root permissions, but I still can't delete anything in the /system/audio folder. Any thoughts? It says "permission denied" or "read only file system" whenever I try.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Not sure about the permissions thing, but you shouldn't ever actually delete system files, it could screw with updates later on. Just rename it instead, once you've figured out the permissions issue that is.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I'm rooted and ES File Explorer has root permissions, but I still can't delete anything in the /system/audio folder. Any thoughts? It says "permission denied" or "read only file system" whenever I try.

System directories are mounted read only by default. I can't remember where or how, but you need to mount it with R/W access.

Also : listen to the poster above me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

System directories are mounted read only by default. I can't remember where or how, but you need to mount it with R/W access.

Also : listen to the poster above me.
Going from memory it's in Settings > Developer options > Root access to allow apps to run as root and somewhere I'm there to mount /system. Again, from memory, I could be mistaken.

tjones
May 13, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You can open the setting shade with the menu key and scroll down to Root Explorer. Clicking on the actually tab and not the on/off button will pop up a dialog that allows you to set what parts of the filesystem have read/write permissions.

Also heed the warning of the posts above this one. Make sure you have a backup.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

tjones posted:

You can open the setting shade with the menu key and scroll down to Root Explorer. Clicking on the actually tab and not the on/off button will pop up a dialog that allows you to set what parts of the filesystem have read/write permissions.

Also heed the warning of the posts above this one. Make sure you have a backup.

That did it. And I actually was trying to rename at first, but when it wouldn't let me I tried to delete. I wasn't trying to kill anything important, just rename the sound effects in the camera because my dog stops doing anything cute whenever he hears the camera sound, and dammit I need videos of that little bastard trying to bury stuff in the couch.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

AT&T S4 Update :

I started this weekend on 4.3 (MK2) , rooted and SafeStrapped.

Apparently the XDA'ers found a way to load KitKat roms. So : I decided to give it a try.

I sorted through all the different sets of instructions, and here's a basic guide :

1) be rooted, safestrapped on MK2. You can even roll back from NB1 to MK2, but I'm not covering that.
2) Find a compatible rom and put it on your external SD. I picked a plain stock rooted rom. No adjustments. SS rules still apply, so it has to be TouchWiz
3) Totally wipe the phone from SS (sans external SD), Flash the rom to the stock rom slot
4) Get into download mode, Odin over the NB1 kernel and radio.
5) You're done. boot.

So : apparently you do your work in SS with the MK2 kernel, then flash the NB1 kernel to run an NB1 rom. The reason for this is that with the NB1 kernel, SS loses write access to /system.. BUT, you can odin back and forth between the MK2 and NB1 kernels. So : odin the MK2 kernel, use SS to make your changes, load your rom, whatever, then odin the NB1 kernel back in and you're good to go! Pretty neat. Kitkat seems to run as well as I could hope for, and any xposed framework mods I need are available.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What should I put on my Galaxy Nexus now, CM or 4.4.2?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I put ShinyRom on mine and it has been great.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

kid sinister posted:

What should I put on my Galaxy Nexus now, CM or 4.4.2?

I've since discarded my G'Nex, but I found CM to be ideal.

You should try both and see what you like.

Jemak
Dec 27, 2003

Go to JAIL.
Go directly to JAIL.
Do not pass GO.
Do not collect :200bux:

I badly need some help and this looks like a good thread to ask...

I'm looking to upgrade my phone. I have been using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus straight from Google (it was a gift from a good friend) w/ AT&T.

My employer has decided that AirWatch is awesome and that our phones get it now to get company email. Long/short: AirWatch is a joke, crashes constantly, and is a horrible resource hog. My phone runs like poo poo since I got AirWatch added to it.

A coworker of mine has the Note 3 and loves it. He also adds that he does not have the same performance problems post-AirWatch that I, and many others are having.

AT&T has a great deal on a certified like-new Note 3 for $99.99 and that sounds pretty attractive to me. But, it's going to be *their* phone and it will be locked to poo poo and have lots of bloatware on it.

That's what I need to ask about : how do I safely get rid of all that poo poo? But even more importantly than that, I need to be able to use it as WiFi hotspot, and not with a third-party app because apparently they can tell when you do this and they will take away my grandfathered unlimited data plan, which is pretty much the last reason I have not to switch. None of this was an issue before because my previous phone was unlocked from the outset and I was able to do whatever I wanted and gently caress the police, etc.

I have been doing a lot of research about this and even though youtube 'how-to's are a dime a dozen, none of them really seem to fully explain what it is I need to do for my desired result...the difference (if any) between rooting and unlocking, etc. At the very least, I need to be able to use it as a wifi hot spot, undetectable, because I am often on-call and need to vpn in to work from wherever I am if need be. I want to be able to remove the bloatware and poo poo that I'm sure it comes pre-packaged with, but for the price, if I can just get the WiFi thing under control I will be satisfied. Otherwise (to be best of I knowledge) I am stuck looking at having to buy another phone that is unlocked from the box and for the Note 3, that's a $650 purchase (not happening) or I can get something like the Nexus 5 which is a much more reasonable $350 but still way more than I'd like to spend, if I can avoid it, for a much smaller phone. (I am specifically targeting the Note 3 because I like its size and smart stylus features) I don't really have a desire to hack the poo poo out of it or install custom roms or any of that junk that I clearly don't fully understand, I'd really just like it if I could make it as if it were clean and unlocked straight from the package like my trusty Galaxy Nexus was.

Any assistance with this to help me with my decision would be appreciated. :)

TL;DR: Thinking about getting a Note 3 on special from AT&T for $99. Needs to have wifi hotspot enabled (undetectable) for work. Googling for how tos on rooting/unlocking is giving me more questions than it is answering. Need help from more experienced goons, please!

Thanks!

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Can you convince your work to pay for a separate wireless hotspot that isn't your phone? Using VPN over the hotspot will mask you from being detected from packet inspection at least, but it is still detectable by looking at the TTL. There are clients that can mask that too but I don't know which ones specifically, if those clients actually implemented these bypasses securely, or if it could still be detected some other way.

Edit: Well known/respected android Dev Koush has an app Clockwork Mod Tether that claims to be undetectable by carriers (if you're not using your VPN all your internet traffic is still going to be broadcasting your computers OS, browser, addons, and all sorts of obviously-not-a-mobile-device-info that ATT could potentially detect) and doesn't require root. It is tethering over USB though not wifi.

THF13 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 20, 2014

Jemak
Dec 27, 2003

Go to JAIL.
Go directly to JAIL.
Do not pass GO.
Do not collect :200bux:

THF13 posted:

Can you convince your work to pay for a separate wireless hotspot that isn't your phone?

Already barked up that tree, the answer is no as it stands currently. Since this airwatch nonsense started we've been given a small montly stipend to offset our phone costs. If I wanted to do that, I'd be perfectly allowed to, but it would come out of my own pocket. Not to sound first-world-problems about it, the situation could be a lot worse. But it is what it is.

THF13 posted:

Edit: Well known/respected android Dev Koush has an app Clockwork Mod Tether that claims to be undetectable by carriers (if you're not using your VPN all your internet traffic is still going to be broadcasting your computers OS, browser, addons, and all sorts of obviously-not-a-mobile-device-info that ATT could potentially detect) and doesn't require root. It is tethering over USB though not wifi.

I will need to look into that then, since, yeah, I do use VPN when I remote into my systems at work. I don't use it as a hotspot otherwise. This could ostensibly be a safe(r) no-hassle solution to the problem though, so thank you! Although I don't know if this will work until I actually have it in-hand. I don't see anything on that page itself about its undetectability though, which I'd like to know more about, but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I believe it is possible to set up tethering to run through a VPN established by the phone itself, which eliminates any potential for carriers to see anything unexpected.

edit: Apparently the standard Android tethering doesn't set this up properly, but most of the third-party tethering solutions like Clockwork Tether do.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 21, 2014

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
Went in/back 20 pages looking for an answer, don't want to try anything further before I'm sure.

I want to root a SGS2 SPH-D710VMUB (Virgin Mobile) running Android 4.1.2.

I looked up superoneclick 2.3.3 and installed samsung usb drivers, then attempted to root, but it got stuck at "waiting for device" googled that problem, and it involved messing with the root method drop down, which also didn't end up working.

I have backed up all I care about onto an SD card, but I don't want to brick my phone.

I would like to:
-Get KitKat if possible
-Improve battery life
-Have more options in general

g30
Jan 4, 2009

quote:

I want to root a SGS2 SPH-D710VMUB (Virgin Mobile) running Android 4.1.2.

I just received a replacement SGS2 from Sprint and used framaroot.
Install framaroot. Click Aragorn. Done.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a rooted LG Spectrum with ICS, and I'd like to mess around with CM to use apps that require 4.1. I've been trying to make a backup with CWM through Rom Manager, but it doesn't work - both 'Backup Current ROM' and 'Reboot Into Recovery' just reboot the phone. Same thing with TWRP.

Tried GooManager, and it tells me there's no recovery script for my device, which doesn't make sense, since I've seen lots of info online about people doing nandroid backups on the Spectrum.

What am I missing?

e: never mind, used an older version of CWM and it looks like it's backing up just fine now.

Loden Taylor fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 24, 2014

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but does anyone know if rooting a phone (in my case, the Galaxy S4) will prevent me from trading it in on Verizon's Edge program? Provided I don't brick it, of course.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

DeADHeaD posted:

I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but does anyone know if rooting a phone (in my case, the Galaxy S4) will prevent me from trading it in on Verizon's Edge program? Provided I don't brick it, of course.

Generally rooting won't do anything, it's unlocking the boot loader that is noticeable. Usually there's a counter you can reset, reflash the factory images for system and recovery, and relock the phone and they shouldn't be able to tell.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Boner Wad posted:

Generally rooting won't do anything, it's unlocking the boot loader that is noticeable. Usually there's a counter you can reset, reflash the factory images for system and recovery, and relock the phone and they shouldn't be able to tell.

Galaxy S4 phones that are pre-loaded with 4.3 (or have been updated via 4.3 OTA) will have KNOX enabled. Tampering with the boot loader will trip the e-fuse and as far as I know, there is no way to revert back after it is done. This is not the flash counter that can be fixed with Triangle Away. This fuse may affect a trade in or warranty claim, but I'm not sure if it will.

It has been a while since I've read up on the issue and someone may have figured out how to work around it. I've stayed on 4.2.2 for this reason.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

DeADHeaD posted:

I've had warranty work done on 2 vzw sgs4's, both fully rooted/modded/custom boot loader, and they didn't even say a word.

YMMV, though. The guy at the midtown VZW location in NYC saw the custom TWRP loader, and knew what it was, and how to use it, and even tried flashing a custom rooted rom for me.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Crossposting this from XDA, which hasn't been helpful so far. The phone isn't rooted, but it seemed more relevant here than the main Android thread.

Sprint LG G2, completely stock.

I got impatient waiting for the kitkat OTA, so I attempted to flash the Sprint 4.4.2 OTA (ZVC/ZVB) using adb sideload onto my completely stock, unrooted Sprint LG G2. Everything seemed to work with that, except when I rebooted the phone after applying the update in recovery, it went into a boot loop. I can get into recovery mode, so I tried wiping data/cache, then when that didn't work, I tried reflashing the same file. I downloaded the file from google (http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/sprint_lge_g2/22d7d735e9def15f3dd803c6f687b579910f732c.LS980ZVA_01-LS980ZVC_12_update.zip). I redownloaded the OTA from google, and tried reflashing it. Same problem.

I'd like to go back to stock and just wait for the OTA to be pushed to me. I have seen the method with LG updater (from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2432476_), but I don't have access to a Windows computer at the moment (linux only), so the easiest way for me is if there were a .zip that I could use adb sideload to push. Is that possible? If not, is there another method I can use on Linux? Can I convert that .tot file to a .img/.zip file that I could flash? I have a Windows computer that I can get to, but it would mean being without my phone for 24 hours. I can live with that if it's my only option, but I figured it was worth asking after Google failed me.

I'm happy to add any further information needed. Thanks!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Does fastboot really not work in Windows 8.1? I'm trying to do the GPE stuff to my HTC One again and every time I try to get into fastboot the phone isn't found.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

Does fastboot really not work in Windows 8.1? I'm trying to do the GPE stuff to my HTC One again and every time I try to get into fastboot the phone isn't found.
It works fine, you probably just have the wrong driver. Manually delete the phone from Device Manager, unplug it, replug. Repeat these steps until the phone is no longer detected or Windows says it can't find a driver for it.

Now manually apply the USB driver from the Android SDK.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Skeezy posted:

I'm not sure if it's the same for the HTC One as it is for my older HTC phone, but if you installed the HTC package, the adb.exe is old, so you have to delete it from the program files directory. That way the correct version will be used.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has anyone else using Gravity Box on stock experienced the event where you hit the button to wake up your phone and the screen turns on, but is all black? I had this happen to or three times last week, so I turned off GB and the Xposed framework Sunday. So far no problems.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Has anyone else using Gravity Box on stock experienced the event where you hit the button to wake up your phone and the screen turns on, but is all black? I had this happen to or three times last week, so I turned off GB and the Xposed framework Sunday. So far no problems.
Nope, but I have unexplained problems with GB/XP. I used to have tremendous battery drain, like 15%/hour which was solved by moving to the latest Xposed framework. Then I had a problem where the media lockscreen widget wouldn't populate if you locked the phone from the playing app. Solved again by uninstalling and reinstalling the framework (don't worry, GravityBox is unaffected by this).

Try updating to the latest Xposed framework and if you already have, try uninstalling, rebooting, then installing and rebooting again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Nope, but I have unexplained problems with GB/XP. I used to have tremendous battery drain, like 15%/hour which was solved by moving to the latest Xposed framework. Then I had a problem where the media lockscreen widget wouldn't populate if you locked the phone from the playing app. Solved again by uninstalling and reinstalling the framework (don't worry, GravityBox is unaffected by this).

Try updating to the latest Xposed framework and if you already have, try uninstalling, rebooting, then installing and rebooting again.

I definitely will after this week-long experiment is done. I'm really missing some of the tweaks by now!

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Is there a better phone for a rooted experience than Nexus 5? I'm on US AT&T. Due for an upgrade, wanted people's opinions. TIA.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ScarletBrother posted:

Is there a better phone for a rooted experience than Nexus 5? I'm on US AT&T. Due for an upgrade, wanted people's opinions. TIA.

If you must root your phone, the Nexus 5 is probably the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

nimper posted:

If you must root your phone, the Nexus 5 is probably the best option.

It's not that I must root it, it's just that I always have. I hate bloarware and like the extra tinkering that root allows. I'm open to other options though. Android phones have come a long way from SGS1.