Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Mortimer posted:

Thoughtseize doesn't rotate out for another year and a half, and they're what, $15 for a card that was 60-70 at M14?

Just finished up my set for $12 a change a card, I feel like this is the floor for Thoughtseize but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

toadee posted:

Just finished up my set for $12 a change a card, I feel like this is the floor for Thoughtseize but who knows.

Close to it. We have a surprise second Sealed PTQ season involving Theros, so lots of packs will be opened again.

It's a multi-format playabledefining card. If you can hang onto them for several years do so, otherwise sell in Jan/Feb 2015.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Mortimer posted:

But yeah Forge is awesome and free and everyone should try it :)

This is actually pretty neat, and everyone should download a copy before the inevitable takedown request. Did you say there was a way to make it download card images? Having to memorize card function by name and cost alone is pretty brutal, it turns out.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

The game has been around for at least five years now, I wouldn't expect it to be taken down any time soon. The menu on the left of the screen has a heading called "Content Downloaders." You can get card images from there.

I actually like having no card images. It looks so impenetrable to everyone else in class that they don't bother me about it :v:
(it worked on my bosses at the job I left before going back to school, too)

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

50 pounds of bread posted:

I highly doubt it will hold that kind of value. It is only eternal playable in the loosest term of the word.

There will be a huge crash, and it will take a lot of time, or a huge meta shift for it to climb up again.

What do you think is going to happen to Blood Crypt after rotation?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
What's going on with the price if GP Batterskull? From looking at other GP promos it seems like the prices settle somewhere between nonfoil and pack foils, but it's sitting at ~$5 above pack foils almost a week after 4300 copies entered circulation. Is this more "lol modern prices" or just that the art is better than the original?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's really cool art. However, what are you talking about? I just did a quick skim on ebay and the original art foils are still fetching $5-10 more than the GP version. While I was at the GP, it was hell trying to trade for extras. People really liked the art. I had friends who for some reason didn't believe me when I said they can preregister and I would grab the promo and battle blanket for them.

e: Nevermind. I looked at the tcgplayer prices and you're right on that site. Guess people don't want to give up their foils.

e2: \/ \/ \/ Yeah, I am not ashamed to admit I traded a portion of my snapcaster stack for these things. There will be more GPs, but they are nowhere nearby and I will be the batterskull king. :D

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 13, 2014

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Fox of Stone posted:

It's really cool art. However, what are you talking about? I just did a quick skim on ebay and the original art foils are still fetching $5-10 more than the GP version. While I was at the GP, it was hell trying to trade for extras. People really liked the art. I had friends who for some reason didn't believe me when I said they can preregister and I would grab the promo and battle blanket for them.

e: Nevermind. I looked at the tcgplayer prices and you're right on that site. Guess people don't want to give up their foils.

This is why I picked up ten.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Promoted Pawn posted:

I think they will drop...will they be $1-2? No. But, I think they will drop down to around $5 before they go back up as we get further and further from the rotation.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Promoted Pawn posted:

It will hold most of its value, then slowly rise.

Mutavault will crash massively, then slowly rise.

It has to do with playability in the current meta, and the potential necessity in the future. Shocks hold more value because even if not immediately relevant in the meta, they represent color combination viability. Mutavault on the other hand does not, and unless there is a huge meta switch, is unlikely to gain value quickly. Shocklands are good because of inevitability of usefulness, mutavault doesn't have that inevitability when it comes to eternal formats.

Can mutavault hit the $25 tag you are predicting? Yes, it can. Is it likely to start there? Absolutely not.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

OssiansFolly posted:

I think they will drop...will they be $1-2? No. But, I think they will drop down to around $5 before they go back up as we get further and further from the rotation.

My money is on bottoming out at closer to $7-8. I've said it before, but I think the shocks will be strongly bouyed on rotation by the legions of people waiting on the drop to pick up their playsets.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
Anyone in the Flemington, NJ area, my friend is hosting a WPA sanctioned draft tonight at 6:30 at the Flemington Elk's Lodge. There will be a bar with $2 drafts so you can drink while you draft. It's $15 and BNG-THS-THS format with prize support.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Boxman posted:

My money is on bottoming out at closer to $7-8. I've said it before, but I think the shocks will be strongly bouyed on rotation by the legions of people waiting on the drop to pick up their playsets.

They are pretty much there now. You don't think they will drop another $1-1.50 in 5 months? I bet they drop another $1 at least until people see what are going to be available in the next set.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

sdr782 posted:

Anyone in the Flemington, NJ area, my friend is hosting a WPA sanctioned draft tonight at 6:30 at the Flemington Elk's Lodge. There will be a bar with $2 drafts so you can drink while you draft. It's $15 and BNG-THS-THS format with prize support.

If I didn't have to drive almost two hours in traffic I would totally be up for that. Fuckin' love drafts and drafts :v:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

They are pretty much there now. You don't think they will drop another $1-1.50 in 5 months? I bet they drop another $1 at least until people see what are going to be available in the next set.

Sorry, I was referencing TCG mid prices (which I suppose few people round here pay.) Those range from 8 (for steam vents) to 12 (for sacred foundry).

Dropping 1-1.5 from current prices puts most shocks in that 7-8 range. I think we actually agree is what I'm saying.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

Gyshall posted:

If I didn't have to drive almost two hours in traffic I would totally be up for that. Fuckin' love drafts and drafts :v:

I understand thats a rough journey, it is going to be a regular thing so in the future feel free to join us.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Boxman posted:

Sorry, I was referencing TCG mid prices (which I suppose few people round here pay.) Those range from 8 (for steam vents) to 12 (for sacred foundry).

Dropping 1-1.5 from current prices puts most shocks in that 7-8 range. I think we actually agree is what I'm saying.

If you think that's the bottom for Shocklands I have 20+ I would be happy to sell you for 5 dollars each.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

If you think that's the bottom for Shocklands I have 20+ I would be happy to sell you for 5 dollars each.

$5 each right this second or after rotation?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

sdr782 posted:

I understand thats a rough journey, it is going to be a regular thing so in the future feel free to join us.

You dudes should totally do it on the weekends and/or friday at a slightly later start time.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Mortimer posted:

$5 each right this second or after rotation?

Right this second I'd happily sell 22 Shocks, 4 Vents, 7 Shrines, 4 Fountains, 4 Graves and 3 Gardens. 110 Shipped if you take em all. I've had them listed for days and no one has even asked me what I'm looking for. That's a pretty good sign to me that we are nowhere near the bottom for Shocks. Almost everyone who wants them has them, and the few waiting around for rotation aren't going to be as much as the massive amount of cards that are going to be dumped into the market.

As slow as interest in these has been online and in person at 5-7 dollars, the bottom is going to be below that easily.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 13, 2014

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Stinky Pit posted:

Right this second I'd happily sell 22 Shocks, 4 Vents, 7 Shrines, 4 Fountains, 4 Graves and 3 Gardens. 110 Shipped if you take em all. I've had them listed for days and no one has been asked me what I'm looking for. That's a pretty good sign to me that we are nowhere near the bottom for Shocks.

I'll take these.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
drat you What a Judas :mad:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Hahaha someone beat you both.

Give me a week and I'll have another 20+ Shocks I'd happily sell at this price. As easily as I'm picking these up for 3-5 dollars in trade they are definitely going to go down after rotation.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Likewise.

I mean, maybe the supply more closely matches the demand due to the relative size of the playerbase compared to Zendikar, but look at what happened with the fetchlands...

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Stinky Pit posted:

Hahaha someone beat you both.

Give me a week and I'll have another 20+ Shocks I'd happily sell at this price. As easily as I'm picking these up for 3-5 dollars in trade they are definitely going to go down after rotation.

SCG buylist on these is like $6-$8. You're throwing money away.

Throw it away at me.

EDIT: What kind of idiots are trading you these at $3-$5? I want to trade with those people. Shocklands are 2-3x what you're getting them at, and they aren't going to drop very far on rotation. I guarantee it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah no kidding, please direct me towards these trades. I'd happily buy a set of temple gardens and other shocks im missing for $5 apiece.

Ed: to discuss further, I guess I dont understand why folks think these would drop so heavily? Theyre already used in a lot of staple modern decks and are fetchable. They're great now and they arent going to stop being usable in modern unless something better comes along.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 13, 2014

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

I will happily buy any of your shocks at $5 each. Pretty much forever. I will dump my power and miscuts to buy them at that price.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

What a Judas posted:

EDIT: What kind of idiots are trading you these at $3-$5? I want to trade with those people. Shocklands are 2-3x what you're getting them at, and they aren't going to drop very far on rotation. I guarantee it.

Vendors at Richmond weren't offering more than 3-5 each and many of them weren't even buying, that's where I got this stack of 22. A noticed a kid walk up to like 3 vendors asking if they bought shocks and finally I offered him a played Chinese Liliana for the stack and he gladly took it.

I guess I didn't check SCG but Shocks are cheap around these parts My LGS has 30+ around 7-8 that have been rotting there for months.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Stinky Pit posted:

Vendors at Richmond weren't offering more than 3-5 each and many of them weren't even buying, that's where I got this stack. A noticed a kid walk up to like 3 vendors asking if they bought shocks and finally I offered him a played Chinese Liliana for the stack and he gladly took it.

I guess I didn't check SCG but Shocks are cheap around these parts My LGS has 30+ around 7-8 that have been rotting there for months.

Where the hell do you live? I have no trouble moving shocks at closer to $10 each, often times even here on the forums.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I will happily buy up to a thousand shocks off somebody at $5 per, especially GTC shocks. Serious offer. I have NO issue moving these things.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

WV, and dude I've listed these right here on the forums and was perfectly willing to let them go for anything 5 dollars or more and no one even asked about them for 4+ days. I res-posted the list and it's not like I haven't done other business since either, people just don't seem to need Shocks right now.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Stinky Pit posted:

WV, and dude I've listed these right here on the forums and was perfectly willing to let them go for anything 5 dollars or more and no one even asked about them for 4+ days. I res-posted the list and it's not like I haven't done other business since either, people just don't seem to need Shocks right now.

Skip the posting and direct message me next time.

Serious. Any quantity.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Market inefficiencies, what a world.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

What a Judas posted:

Serious. Any quantity.

Its hilarious to me how different our markets are.

I couldn't dream of getting what you were looking to get for that Sapphire in the circles I run in, but Shockland for a Prize Pack is a deal I will have people trip each other to come make.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Stinky Pit posted:

The SA forums are not really designed to make trades happen. Single threading is great for discussion but pretty impenetrable for conducting transactions, so it isn't too strange you wouldn't get hits (I'd buy shocks at 5 dollars a pop too!)

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Stinky Pit posted:

Its hilarious to me how different our markets are.

I couldn't dream of getting what you were looking to get for that Sapphire in the circles I run in, but Shockland for a Prize Pack is a deal I will have people trip each other to come make.

That's insane, you open packs and hope to GET a shock. That's what happens in the real world.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: What a Judas Trading Station

As a guy who primarily plays MODO due to lack of real life time (FNM :smith: ) it is interesting to see the difference between the paper and digital markets, since most of the online stuff is all run by automated bots, for the most part.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The owner of an LGS I frequent claims to have 8-10 copies of each of the recent sets because he's able to assemble them on MTGO and then use whatever policy Wizards has where they'll mail you a paper version of the set if you've completed it online.

I don't play MTGO, so is this really a thing, and is it a cheaper method of getting a copy of a set than trying to buy the cards normally?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

What a Judas posted:

Serious. Any quantity.

Same! I have a limit of about $100 a month to drop on wizard poker rectangles but I would gladly pay that for shocks as I need everything but crypts right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Stinky, I have to ask...what are you selling the temples for? :v:

• Locked thread