Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
At this point they might as well search the pacific ocean, it's nature's junkyard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Awesome! posted:

seriouspost: can they line the cockpit with

so the pilots could at least see when they start to pitch or roll if they can't feel it themselves?

Pilots accomplish the same thing through referencing their artificial horizon, and their turn coordinator. These two instruments are driven by gimbals or gyros and can usually function on only emergency power, but in a glass cockpit such as the 777, the main versions of these instruments will be digitally displayed and receive their data from the computer.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fallom posted:

There are many documented instances of pilots dealing with pitot tube failure. In those cases the pilots notice that the autopilot and instrumentation stopped working and take their hands off the controls because the plane isn't magically going to go into a dive if it's been cruising.

Well to be fair, it isn't like aircraft can't have sudden failures that can send a plane into a dive from a cruise, so if your instruments are suddenly telling you that this is happening, it's easy to think it is happening.

Also airline pilots work absolutely insane hours and fatigue is a very common problem in the industry, so they might not completely think things through.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-pentagon-3238713

Evidently the US Navy has it on some sort of authority that the plane is in the Indian Ocean, maybe.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

The Casualty posted:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-pentagon-3238713

Evidently the US Navy has it on some sort of authority that the plane is in the Indian Ocean, maybe.

Sooo what did the oil rig people see then? It's not like there are burning planes falling out of the sky every day.

Unless the lizard terrorists created an exact copy of the plane, crashed that on the original site of contact loss, and then flew the REAL plane to their secret volcano base.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rad Russian posted:

Sooo what did the oil rig people see then?

It was the ghost of twa 800

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
swamp gas

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Awesome! posted:

seriouspost: can they line the cockpit with

so the pilots could at least see when they start to pitch or roll if they can't feel it themselves?

Bits of string and bluetack. Attach strings to the roof,floor and windscreen so you can tell if your nose is up or down. The string on the floor would show you if you were inverted.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rad Russian posted:

Sooo what did the oil rig people see then? It's not like there are burning planes falling out of the sky every day.

Unless the lizard terrorists created an exact copy of the plane, crashed that on the original site of contact loss, and then flew the REAL plane to their secret volcano base.

I've been on the open ocean and seen pretty bright meteroites before. It could also be that the guy is making poo poo up. The only way to find out for sure is to find the drat plane, and I think at this point the seachers are just leaving no stone unturned.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JamesieAB posted:

Bits of string and bluetack. Attach strings to the roof,floor and windscreen so you can tell if your nose is up or down. The string on the floor would show you if you were inverted.

Yeah what about hanging a plumbob off the cockpit ceiling?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

All perfectly viable analog backup solutions in my mind

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.
get a piece of string. hold it loose in your hand. now hold your arm out straight and run. tell me what happens to the string, genius.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Former FBI assistant director on CNN said that the plane continued to fly after the transponder was turned off and has landed somewhere, and is possibly being repurposed for some "dastardly deed down the road". He sounded so sure of it too. I tend to think that maybe the flight data they are getting might not be all that reliable and maybe not share your theories yet on CNN, but this guy apparently did the TWA 800 investigation.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Skipjack posted:

get a piece of string. hold it loose in your hand. now hold your arm out straight and run. tell me what happens to the string, genius.

I dunno, what does it do?

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JamesieAB posted:

This doesn't make a drat lick of sense. The plane is going a hundred+ miles an hour. That string is going to go all over the cockpit as soon as they get up to speed. The only thing that can withstand those speeds is going to have to be way more durable.

Its like that question, If you are in your car driving at 50 miles per hour, and a fly is in your car with you flying from the back of the car to the front, it is obviously going faster than 50 miles per hour, usually in excess of 60 or 70 miles per hour. Those things are drat fast.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rusty posted:

Former FBI assistant director on CNN said that the plane continued to fly after the transponder was turned off and has landed somewhere, and is possibly being repurposed for some "dastardly deed down the road". He sounded so sure of it too. I tend to think that maybe the flight data they are getting might not be all that reliable and maybe not share your theories yet on CNN, but this guy apparently did the TWA 800 investigation.

I really can't see this being a thing. If the plane was really hijacked, we'd have surely heard about it from a passenger before the plane disappeared. Even ignoring that, if it was really hijacked to be used later, they'd have to hide and refuel a big-rear end plane, and in no way do I believe even the most connected of terrorist groups could possibly do that without being found out.

I'm going to stick to my gradual decompression theory.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Skipjack posted:

i think the plane takes off because its tires are moving at takeoff speed

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

That string is going to go all over the cockpit as soon as they get up to speed. The only thing that can withstand those speeds is going to have to be way more durable.

I fell asleep a lot in physics class too but this is still pretty embarrassing.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Skipjack posted:

Is this one of those trick questions like asking if an airplane on a conveyor belt can take off? Obviously things like this can't be proven in any scientific setting so we just have to imagine what will happen. Dunno about you but my imagination is pretty good.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Skipjack posted:

I can't tell who is fakeposting any more, but I don't think you are...

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
lol

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

kindermord posted:

if that wsj report is accurate i would be kind of nervous in any major western cities or tel aviv or seoul

why would they be nervous in tel aviv

do they think the plane is likely to land there and be full of non-white people

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

FullLeatherJacket posted:

why would they be nervous in tel aviv

do they think the plane is likely to land there and be full of non-white people

don't want another sterilization scandal on their hands.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rusty posted:

Anyone with 'Former governmental job' onto talk about a current foreign crisis is always a paid lobbyist shill for said former governmental group.
So stop believing them America, they are there to FUD you into giving them more tax dollars.
Always.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

skipjack wtf does the string do dude

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

texasmed posted:

Also hard to believe that I missed a chance at infamy when I was working on the ramp at my local airport, and I could have brought down a plane with a piece of bubble gum in the correct pitot tube.

I'm pretty sure there was one major airliner (Birgenair 301) that was likely brought down because a wasp nested in one of the pitot tubes. Ironically, that was the opposite of the Air France crash - the pilots ignored it and flew normally, then they put on the autopilot, which immediately poo poo itself due to the faulty data and slammed the plane into the ocean.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
maybe now it's a roaming rape gang flying through the airs looking for victims

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I overthunk it. You could just have the one bit of string on the ceiling, it would show your attitude and if lying in a pile would show you were inverted. A much cheaper solution, smaller airlines could get away with a single pack of bluetack and one roll of string.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
The plane will show up on April 1st

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Elphiem posted:

The plane will show up on April 1st

It will be covered in lolcats and part of Virgin's new low fare asian fleet.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

midnightclimax posted:

It will be covered in lolcats and part of Virgin's new low fare asian fleet.

Nyanjet will descend from the heavens, trailing a sparkling rainbow, right into the Ganges, which it shall purify with cuteness and flaming jet fuel.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I like this theory best

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.

BadLlama posted:

skipjack wtf does the string do dude

as you speed up, the string inclines. since pilots generally increase throttle as they climb, having a piece of string dangling around isn't going to clarify much.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

happyhippy posted:

Anyone with 'Former governmental job' onto talk about a current foreign crisis is always a paid lobbyist shill for said former governmental group.
So stop believing them America, they are there to FUD you into giving them more tax dollars.
Always.

Heard the WSJ reporter covering this on NPR he said he same thing. Apparently somehow there is satellite data of some sort showing that the plane kept on flying several hours after the transponder was turned off. Couple that with the Rolls Royce story and it makes a compelling case. Don't know if they landed though.

Vladimir Putin fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 14, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

The Casualty posted:

Nyanjet will descend from the heavens, trailing a sparkling rainbow, right into the Ganges, which it shall purify with cuteness and flaming jet fuel.

i second this

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rad Russian posted:

Crisis actors.

Matchstick
Jul 10, 2004

Malaysia Air flight 370: A Practical Guide on String Theory

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

At some point somebody's gonna look up what a yaw string is and poo poo themselves

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Malaysian Airlines Expands Investigation To Include General Scope Of Space, Time
‘Why Are We Even Here?’ Officials Probe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
I bet the last century's worth of aviation engineers are kicking themselves for not thinking up the bit of string in the cockpit invention. All those lives that could have been saved. :(

• Locked thread