Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tibeerius posted:

Season 6 was awesome! Pork Jesus and the Voltaggios (and many other great chefs) forgoing all the usual whiny reality show bullshit, and just making plate after plate of kickass food.

Which season would you have picked?

Oh don't get me wrong, Season 6 ruled, but it's behind Season 4 and my personal favorite, All-Stars. All-Stars had the best collection of chefs and personalities, simply owing to the fact that they had 7 seasons of people to choose from. Most entertaining by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

Here's a funny gif for ya

Also people can't just ignore obvious trolls/idiots.

Shoulda been Santiago's guilt face :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yay SyFy's gonna start doing syf..cough...scifi again.
http://io9.com/syfy-promises-a-return-to-space-opera-at-last-with-asc-1543291408

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Fooz posted:

While were talking about game of thrones, the woman who plays tyrion's prostitute girlfriend is the worst actress in the world.

Am I crazy? Does anyone else see this?

I don't think there's an actress alive who could make that character interesting. She's such a nonentity in the books. I mean, she appears in a bunch of scenes, and speaks, but until the events I suspect will be depicted this season, she has no agency.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Spatula City posted:

she has no agency.

She's a prostitute. She exercises her agency every time she has sex with Tyrion.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Joramun posted:

If anything, GoT is GRRM's product to an even larger extent than Buffy is Whedon's (since the plots of most episodes of the latter and even seasons were created, plotted and written by staff writers while Whedon guided and oversaw the bigger picture). BtVS was an original production and very much the product of an ensemble writing staff while GoT is a largely direct adaptation of GRRM's work. He made up all the characters except for like three, what they say and do, the locales and what they look like, the fictional cultures and architectures and languages and dress styles, the plots and character motivations and storyline arcs and narrative twists and turns, everything.

GRRM created Arya and her personality and actions and basically all she says and does on the show. GRRM created Jaime and Melisandre and Tyrion and Stannis and Robb and Bran and Tywin and Hodor and everybody else, everything they say and do. He created the battle of Blackwater and the Red Wedding and Winterfell and the Wall and King's Landing, every place Dany visits and every other possible location and setpiece, what all those places look like and consist of and are about, and absolutely everything else.

Like I said, 80-90% of the show is a direct translation from page to screen, sometimes with the order of events switched around a bit or multiple characters merged into one to thin out the cast and make it easier for television audiences to keep track of and keep up with. And just as much of the remaining scenes and storylines that were invented wholesale for the screen are awful (Dany, Catelyn, Littlefinger and Theon's stuff especially) as there are good to great ones, like Margaery and the Queen of Thorns's expanded roles, and the awesome extra deaths in the Red Wedding.

There is just as much icky stuff in the show and a considerable amount of it is even ickier than that in the books. You don't get to take any sort of highroad with that.

Yeah, I agree, and seeing the missteps they've had with their own original material makes me wonder if the show will suffer when they'll have to rely so much more on their own original ideas/material after this next season.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irish Joe posted:

She's a prostitute. She exercises her agency every time she has sex with Tyrion.

You're the best.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

Fooz posted:

While were talking about game of thrones, the woman who plays tyrion's prostitute girlfriend is the worst actress in the world.

Am I crazy? Does anyone else see this?

I never noticed anything really bad it.

Also, to the people who poo poo on GoT in general, if you don't enjoy watching the antagonistic relationship between Tyrion and his sister then you're probably a boring person.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is....is this the bad thread now :ohdear:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Game of Thrones sucks. I say that confidently as someone who doesn't and never will watch it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

zoux posted:

It's your own fault with your insane disrepect towards my swedish dramas

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Every time somebody gushes about GIRLS, the knife in my heart from the cancellation of How To Make It In America aches oh so much more

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
To be fair though How To Make It In America felt like it should have been on Showtime.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wasn't that show about shoe salesmen?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mu Zeta posted:

Wasn't that show about shoe salesmen?

That's Mad Men.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Yessssssss. :getin:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

zoux posted:

Here's a funny gif for ya

Thank you. He's been killing it every episode.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

This is Something Awful. They're all bad threads.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Well in the past few days 9/10 couch chatters decided to challenge Irish Joe for the iron throne apparently so it's pretty effin' confusing up in here now.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Deadpool posted:

Game of Thrones sucks. I say that confidently as someone who doesn't and never will watch it.

You're like the old reverend who bans dancing from his town, preaching about the gateway it unlocks, and stopping the kids from having their prom.

But no matter how hard you suppress, in the darkest parts of your soul you know it persists... even as just some shadow of a afterthought long forgotten. You know if you were to give in... just once, for the briefest moment... that's all it would take.

And it shakes you to the core.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
zoux is kevin bacon

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There's been no justice since Space: Above and Beyond was cancelled.

The worst show is NCIS.

The best show is phineas and ferb.

I will plead "Just following orders" before the tribunal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

You're like the old reverend who bans dancing from his town, preaching about the gateway it unlocks, and stopping the kids from having their prom.

I'm legit surprised there hasn't been a good old fashioned anti-GoT scare like the Great Dungeons And Dragons Schism of the 1980s or the Harry Potter Witch Trials of Aught Five.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

FTFY

I'm glad almost every good show currently running has a loving atrocious thread in TV/IV to accompany it. I just wanted to talk about cool scenes and look at funny gifs. Thank god for Brooklyn 99. The crazies haven't infiltrated it yet. What is it about TV shows that makes people go crazy? I genuinely don't understand the desire to argue for pages about a specific scene and its implications or its unwillingness to create enlightened gender roles.

:lost:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

I'm legit surprised there hasn't been a good old fashioned anti-GoT scare like the Great Dungeons And Dragons Schism of the 1980s or the Harry Potter Witch Trials of Aught Five.

The people that would start a witch-hunt read the books and now just wait gleefully for the tsunami of disappointment after the show turns into a tire fire on top of a mountain of soiled adult diapers and nuclear waste basted in hobo clothing and those literal poo poo lagoons that pig farms have after this next season.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

precision posted:

It's because kids don't really care about GOT, and kids have to be protected.

E: I'm gonna laugh when GRRM dies before finishing his books and the last few are picked up by a group of writers and editors who do a better job but nerds hate it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Austrian mook posted:

E: I'm gonna laugh when GRRM dies before finishing his books and the last few are picked up by a group of writers and editors who do a better job but nerds hate it.

Terry Goodkind and Kevin J Anderson could do a better job.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

IRQ posted:

The people that would start a witch-hunt read the books and now just wait gleefully for the tsunami of disappointment after the show turns into a tire fire on top of a mountain of soiled adult diapers and nuclear waste basted in hobo clothing and those literal poo poo lagoons that pig farms have after this next season.

A few parts of the season after next might still be good. For instance, that's when they'll likely introduce the best character in the series (Victarion).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I loved Kevin J. Anderson's Battletech novels when I was a kid. Absolutely enthralled me. When I became aware of the hatred for him on the internet I couldn't understand it.

Then I tried to re-read my favourite of those Battletech books. GRRM is many things, but worse than Anderson he most certainly is not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

But no matter how hard you suppress, in the darkest parts of your soul you know it persists... even as just some shadow of a afterthought long forgotten. You know if you were to give in... just once, for the briefest moment... that's all it would take.

And it shakes you to the core.

Are you trying to say that I would like it if I tried it? Yeah, sorry old chum, you're way off there then. I just don't like that fantasy stuff at all.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Austrian mook posted:

It's because kids don't really care about GOT, and kids have to be protected.

I figured the HBO writers would end it first and then someone would later write novelizations of the latter season(s).

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Lycus posted:

I figured the HBO writers would end it first and then someone would later write novelizations of the latter season(s).

Hasn't GRRM given all of his notes to the HBO writers or something?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

Hasn't GRRM given all of his notes to the HBO writers or something?

Yeah, but they were too greasy to be legible.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Are you trying to say that I would like it if I tried it? Yeah, sorry old chum, you're way off there then. I just don't like that fantasy stuff at all.

I'm just saying John Lithgow thought the same thing about dancing until Olivia Newton-John opened his heart with the macarena.

...okay full disclosure, Ive never actually seen footloose.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I sincerely doubt GRRM will finish the books. I get the feeling he's sick to death of writing them and just wants to watch how they turn out on HBO.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Haven't the Producers said they want to end it with Season Seven? If that's the case they might be skipping most of the poo poo and getting straight to the ending.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PriorMarcus posted:

Haven't the Producers said they want to end it with Season Seven? If that's the case they might be skipping most of the poo poo and getting straight to the ending.

Literally in some cases

Snyped irq suck it downnnn

I should really finish true detective huh, I'm at the beginning of 105

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Occupation posted:

I should really finish true detective huh, I'm at the beginning of 105

Oh, so you're almost at the point where Cthulhu joins as a series regular.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

PriorMarcus posted:

I think it's almost a guarantee that they're going to split the next book into at least two seasons or more as well in hopes of having the Winds of Winter released by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Ungoal posted:

I think it's almost a guarantee that they're going to split the next book into at least two seasons or more as well in hopes of having the Winds of Winter released by then.

The 4th book is way too boring and meandering to fill two seasons. It won't even fill one.

The 5th book could, but they've already started cribbing from that for season 3 (Theon/Ramsay's storyline).

• Locked thread