Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

I'm curious, is anyone here actually going to buy Inquisition new without getting a goon consensus/reliable review first?

This is Bioware's first biggy since DA2 and ME3 and those didn't exactly inspire faith.

I'm never preordering any bioware game ever again. Burned on DA2, Burned on ME2, Burned on SWTOR.

gently caress Bioware. I'll buy their games on the cheap and play them, possibly out of some misguided sense of nostalgia of what they were, but ME3 was awful in all the wrong places, and DA2 as well. SWTOR was just a bed of broken promises that went F2P like we all knew it would, and the one thing I cared about, raiding, was broken for months and they didn't give a poo poo.

I'll give DA:I a go, if only because I met some nice developers while I was staffing at PAX who insisted it was different, but I think this is Bioware's last chance with me before I write them off for good.

Also because I'm clinging onto the hope that the Dragon Age Devs just had a flue with EA trying to push them to try and stupidly compete with cod numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm never preordering any bioware game ever again. Burned on DA2, Burned on ME2, Burned on SWTOR.

gently caress Bioware. I'll buy their games on the cheap and play them, possibly out of some misguided sense of nostalgia of what they were, but ME3 was awful in all the wrong places, and DA2 as well. SWTOR was just a bed of broken promises that went F2P like we all knew it would, and the one thing I cared about, raiding, was broken for months and they didn't give a poo poo.

I'll give DA:I a go, if only because I met some nice developers while I was staffing at PAX who insisted it was different, but I think this is Bioware's last chance with me before I write them off for good.

Also because I'm clinging onto the hope that the Dragon Age Devs just had a flue with EA trying to push them to try and stupidly compete with cod numbers.

At least you are not bitter.

So, is there anything to be learned from the Keep thing? Some interesting decisions from the previous games not in the Keep, some seemingly irrelevant choices in there? Or am I misunderstanding what beta access means?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Torrannor posted:

At least you are not bitter.

I'm just tired of being promised a product and getting something less, or getting something that takes two steps back for every step forward.

It's very tiring when they establish a great first game, then make a sequel for it and just poo poo on it, removing everything that made the first one great, simply because the vocal minority are boring/bad at video games, and bioware throwing their hands up, not knowing how to fix it and remove it entirely or replace it with something worse.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Raygereio posted:

There are several bugs in the save export & import system for DA:O & DA2 that Bioware never fixed.

Edit:

Right, thanks for pointing that out, I had missed it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Torrannor posted:

So, is there anything to be learned from the Keep thing? Some interesting decisions from the previous games not in the Keep, some seemingly irrelevant choices in there? Or am I misunderstanding what beta access means?

I'm wondering the same thing. Are beta people allowed to discuss it?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm really curious what the 600 data points from DAO to DA2 were. I mean ... I didn't think DA:O had 600 data points to begin with, unless they really tracked how you dealt with every NPC in that one town that all died. I don't know.

Anyway, a history-builder like this is something I know I've wanted since Mass Effect 2 (where, for a while, I thought we were getting one) and while gibbed stepped up and provided like a boss, this is long overdue as an official way to rebuild a history without keeping 72,000 save games.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Has anyone heard about how they'll be handling DLC for DA:I(It'll be there day one)? I never want to visit Bioware Social Network again and manually download and have to install 12 different exe files when services like Steam and Origin make this poo poo easy(and less likely to give you broken links if you want to replay older games).

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Psion posted:

Anyway, a history-builder like this is something I know I've wanted since Mass Effect 2 (where, for a while, I thought we were getting one)
We kinda got one for the Mass Effect series in the form in the Genesis & Genesis 2 DLC for ME2 and ME3.

Edit:

Blister posted:

Has anyone heard about how they'll be handling DLC for DA:I(It'll be there day one)? I never want to visit Bioware Social Network again and manually download and have to install 12 different exe files when services like Steam and Origin make this poo poo easy(and less likely to give you broken links if you want to replay older games).
Any new Bioware game will undoubtedly be using EA's Origin.
Also the Bioware Social site is no more and its replacement doesn't have the download links for the DLC as far as I can tell (which at some point in the future will likely make acquiring the DLC for non-Origin versions of older Bioware games interesting).

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 13, 2014

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Vitamin P posted:

I'm curious, is anyone here actually going to buy Inquisition new without getting a goon consensus/reliable review first?

This is Bioware's first biggy since DA2 and ME3 and those didn't exactly inspire faith.

I'll probably end up buying it, because I really did enjoy Origins and I'd love to see them try to make up for DA2. And as for Mass Effect 3, outside of the ending, I thought everything else about the game was really good. I mean really right up until the final Citadel scene, I'd say it was pretty drat great. The ending was bad. It was really, really bad. Bad enough that whenever I think about that game, my initial thought is that it was a total disappointment. But with a little more thought, that game was pretty drat good until then. Like Tuchanka, that poo poo was excellent. And the multiplayer was really fun.

Actually I might just have to reinstall all three and replay them.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

KoB posted:

Yes :negative:

Even though I didnt like the ending to ME3 I still think its a great game otherwise, and for some reason I dont completely hate DA2 even though I recognize its not good.

...Are you my Nega-self from Earth 1?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Pretty sure you typoed this. ME2 was "alright" at the very worst.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm using "they'll try extra hard this time" logic with DA:I, even though Gaider is still somehow employed. Besides, with dat Frostbite engine, at least we'll finally have a Dragon Age game that doesn't look like utter and complete poo poo and even the worst case scenario is we get the emotional rollercoaster of ever other BioWare game threads.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Blister posted:

services like Steam and Origin make this poo poo easy

I wholly expect this will be available only on Origin, and I won't pre-order it because of this. Just out of spite for this lovely approach to business.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Furism posted:

I wholly expect this will be available only on Origin, and I won't pre-order it because of this. Just out of spite for this lovely approach to business.

Do you boycott Valve's titles as well?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

DrNutt posted:

I own some them because they were gifted to me, but I probably would. I happen to prefer Steam to Origin, so that wouldn't matter to me in any case, but I agree it's equally lovely.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrNutt posted:

What titles?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I've never had a major issue with Steam or Origin. I don't get the hate either platform gets (though obviously, Origin gets a lot more).

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
90% of the hate from Origin comes from it being completely superfluous. It doesn't really do anything that Steam can't do at least as well, if not better.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Flagrant Abuse posted:

90% of the hate from Origin comes from it being completely superfluous. It doesn't really do anything that Steam can't do at least as well, if not better.

No, they do support much much better than Steam, and they also offer a satisfaction guarantee on any games purchased via Origin.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
They're also pretty good at banning you over Simcity.

E: Or that was just a rumor, I don't know. Simcity was terrible.

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 13, 2014

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Origin has that "full refund within 24 hours" policy, doesn't it?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

And EA pulled a bunch of their titles from Steam so people had to use Origin.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Schubalts posted:

Origin has that "full refund within 24 hours" policy, doesn't it?

It's not within 24 hours, it's whenever in a reasonable timeframe. Probably within a week.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

DrNutt posted:

No, they do support much much better than Steam, and they also offer a satisfaction guarantee on any games purchased via Origin.

That's that thing, right here. Some people prefer Steam, some prefer Origin. Both are correct, everyone is entitled to their opinion. People should be able to choose the platform they prefer based on its qualities, whichever are relevant for that person ; not on whether or not the game they want is exclusive or not to that platform.

EA should stick to produce games. I realize they want to cut the middle guy and get more money by distributing themselves, but this generate a huge conflict of interest.

Note that I have both Origin and Steam, but I have Origin only because I was gifted ME3. I hate that every time I boot my PC, it opens a popup on my desktop trying to sell me Simcity or Titanfall, and I can't find any easy way to disable that.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

DrNutt posted:

It's not within 24 hours, it's whenever in a reasonable timeframe. Probably within a week.

It's not within a week. It's within three days, or 24 hours from first executing. This means if you open a game ever, you have 24 hours to talk to support for a refund.

I got my origin account (with my DA:O Ultimate Edition and SimCity games) banned over a post I made on the simshitty forums, that was a really scathing review (without even any curse words!) of all the ways they'd hosed up. Many other people reported getting their origin accounts banned for their comments on the SimShitty official forums. At least Valve does the equivalent of hellbanning people from their forums - sure, play your games but you can never post again. I lost two games because I was negative on their official forums. Officially it was because in my 'Servers Are Down' section of the 'review' I pointed out that modders had modified the files and found that none of the online only stuff was required, which 'discussed hacking an EA title and how to work around DRM', despite not even pointing out how to deactivate it, just pointing out that people had done so.

EA is toxic and Origin is poo poo. I'll buy DA:I at launch and then sit on it until an originless crack comes out, if it's origin only.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Policenaut posted:

This. If it were just another digital service like Amazon, direct2drive, or GOG, competing on price and service, it be great. More competition in the digital realm helps keep things honest. But EA throwing its muscle around by making popular IPs exclusive to force people into using it was just an rear end in a top hat move. I'm worried that other publishers will follow and I'll have to have two dozen interfaces installed just to play the games I like.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Universe Master posted:

This. If it were just another digital service like Amazon, direct2drive, or GOG, competing on price and service, it be great. More competition in the digital realm helps keep things honest. But EA throwing its muscle around by making popular IPs exclusive to force people into using it was just an rear end in a top hat move. I'm worried that other publishers will follow and I'll have to have two dozen interfaces installed just to play the games I like.

Everyone selling Steam keys isn't competition or helping keep things honest. A ton of popular IP's already are basically exclusive to Steam (that is, you have to have a Steam account to play the PC version) because its where people are. Batman, Bioshock, Borderlands, Civilization, Call of Duty, Total War, Fallout, Elder Scrolls.

Publishers aren't following EA. Publishers are following Valve.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Policenaut posted:

They didnt. Valve pulled them because they wanted a cut of the DLC sales and EA didnt feel like giving it to them.

I also think it was only Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2, and Crysis 2 is on Steam now.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

But why wouldn't the company want to have their games on their system? It's not like they made it so you had to buy their games all over again to play them. I really don't get the hate for Origin other than everybody hates everything EA does. They never struck me as any worse than almost every major American company.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

KittyEmpress posted:

EA is toxic and Origin is poo poo. I'll buy DA:I at launch and then sit on it until an originless crack comes out, if it's origin only.

I keep reading this over and over but it refuses to make sense to me.

KoB
May 1, 2009

losonti tokash posted:

"I will give them my money but I sure as hell wont play it!"

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
So has anyone been able to access the Keep stuff?

If so, what is it exactly? I get the feeling it's just a bunch of checkboxes for variables, but I wish it was more complex than that.

Also is the keep going to be the only way to import across the "trilogy?"

KoB
May 1, 2009

PurplieNurplie posted:

So has anyone been able to access the Keep stuff?

If so, what is it exactly? I get the feeling it's just a bunch of checkboxes for variables, but I wish it was more complex than that.

Also is the keep going to be the only way to import across the "trilogy?"

Yes, Keep will be the only way to import.

Importing from Origins/Awakening barely worked right as it is.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Pretty sure you typoed this. ME2 was "alright" at the very worst.

I realize I'm an outlier, but ME1 was great but clunky. ME2 was still clunky but then took out the parts that were good (the rpg). Felt less like an rpg to me than a visual novel with really terrible shooting elements that felt like they watched someone play gears of war and went HAS TO BE MORE LIKE THIS TO FIX THE CLUNK.

I was not impressed.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I'm going to get it within a weak of release because I want to believe. I know I'm probably going to get burned but ugh. :(

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As long as they keep it closer to DA2 combat as in there is a very rough balance to the three classes then I will be getting the game. It might have ben because I started playing as a warrior but I never saw the appeal of the original combat system and came to almost dread having to actually fighting.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I realize I'm an outlier, but ME1 was great but clunky. ME2 was still clunky but then took out the parts that were good (the rpg). Felt less like an rpg to me than a visual novel with really terrible shooting elements that felt like they watched someone play gears of war and went HAS TO BE MORE LIKE THIS TO FIX THE CLUNK.

I was not impressed.

I'd much rather they make the game a competent shooter than a crappy RPG. ME1's RPG elements made no sense and really dragged the gameplay down. It hardly explain anything (I still have no idea what "hardening" was), leveling up was a chore that took forever to make a noticeable difference, all the guns were nearly identical beyond stats, and the inventory was a bloated monstrosity that you'd dread ever seeing after level 20 or so.

Going back to ME1 after 2 or 3 is almost painful.

Hunt11 posted:

As long as they keep it closer to DA2 combat as in there is a very rough balance to the three classes then I will be getting the game. It might have ben because I started playing as a warrior but I never saw the appeal of the original combat system and came to almost dread having to actually fighting.

I agree about DAO's combat being terrible, but don't want them to mimic DAII's mistakes either. So far, from the previews, they've made something far closer to an action RPG game like Skyrim and we're probably much better off for it. It'll probably finally give all the classes a good role in combat that makes them unique and more fun to play.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 14, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

losonti tokash posted:

I will buy a disk copy.

I will not install this disk copy until a crack to remove origin requirement is added.

I will then reinstall origin briefly, to install the game.

ANd then put the crack to work, and uninstall origin from my system again.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Geostomp posted:

I'd much rather they make the game a competent shooter than a crappy RPG. ME1's RPG elements made no sense and really dragged the gameplay down. It hardly explain anything (I still have no idea what "hardening" was), leveling up was a chore that took forever to make a noticeable difference, all the guns were nearly identical beyond stats, and the inventory was a bloated monstrosity that you'd dread ever seeing after level 20 or so.

Going back to ME1 after 2 or 3 is almost painful.

I didn't say ME1 was perfect, merely it had the right idea implemented poorly. Instead of fixing these issues, they threw them out in lieu of something "easier" to design, which is combat with rpg elements tacked on.

It's just incredible that bioware made KOTOR and NWN and other games and then couldn't loving figure out how to include proper rpg systems that were fun, and incomprehensible they'd throw out the baby with the bathwater when designing the next game, only bringing it back partially for 3 simply because of fan bitching.

I just don't understand.

Then again, I loved loved DA:O's combat. The main issues with it, weren't actually fixed in DA2 at all, if you look closely. They just sped up the animations and made a better ui/skill tree. Characters still float around and slide into position, just it's less obvious because it takes less time. Not to mention neither series has figured out how to do their hardest difficulty mode, which is all kinds of broken. It's not hard to play either on Nightmare/Impossible, they're just incredibly tedious. Then again I played DS3 (another EA published game) on coop mode recently on the hardest setting, and that was a loving snorefest too. Maybe I'm above the curve (which I doubt, because I'm apparently loving awful at videogames yet I play them anyways)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I didn't say ME1 was perfect, merely it had the right idea implemented poorly. Instead of fixing these issues, they threw them out in lieu of something "easier" to design, which is combat with rpg elements tacked on.

It's just incredible that bioware made KOTOR and NWN and other games and then couldn't loving figure out how to include proper rpg systems that were fun, and incomprehensible they'd throw out the baby with the bathwater when designing the next game, only bringing it back partially for 3 simply because of fan bitching.

I just don't understand.

The only reason KOTOR and NWN were good were because they were basically D20 system converted very badly into a bad rigged RNG. What KOTOR did right was adding 'fluff' animations to that though, so even if you only had one attack, you hit someone 3-4 times, so it looked more active.

The actual engine and especially the RNG for the games are real bad.

• Locked thread