Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

penismightier posted:

I've been getting really into this 19th century photographer Julia Margaret Cameron. All these pictures are from the 1860s-1870s:

How did she get that kind of strong directional lighting in a pre-light bulb era? Does anybody know any instructional guide to, like, manipulating natural light?

The New Yorker did a piece on her last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Spedman posted:

That ain't film stock, at that point in time they would probably ambrotypes (wet plate on glass), and then made into salt prints. The upshot being the photosensitive material was all blue/UV sensitive, orthochromatic.

This is all really interesting, thanks!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Been reading that article and looking up her work, really cool stuff. Thanks.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
The general consensus so far seems to be that I suffer from "dad posting poo poo that nobody else would want to see," but I'm trying to improve on that. Besides the "make me care" part, I'd love to hear if there are any other obvious portrait failures happening here.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I like all of those shots.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I like all of those shots.

Me too. Great photos

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

ChirreD posted:

Me too. Great photos

Agreed. they have a lot of heart; I find them interesting to look at even though I don't know the people involved — which is important for a portrait.

Playing around at the office:

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I mean, it was supposed to be fashion but dude lost his shirt.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Very nice.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Dat hair :allears:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

jackpot posted:

The general consensus so far seems to be that I suffer from "dad posting poo poo that nobody else would want to see," but I'm trying to improve on that. Besides the "make me care" part, I'd love to hear if there are any other obvious portrait failures happening here.

Yeah I think these shots are great, nice work!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
That rules. Nice job shooting him where even the eyelashes stand out.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

1st AD posted:

Dat hair :allears:

I'm a dude and I'm envious of dat hair.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Dudes, just find an albino dude.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

penismightier posted:

I've been getting really into this 19th century photographer Julia Margaret Cameron. All these pictures are from the 1860s-1870s:

-

-
How did she get that kind of strong directional lighting in a pre-light bulb era? Does anybody know any instructional guide to, like, manipulating natural light?

This is gonna sound reallllll pretentious but using natural light well is one of those things you really have to just practice and practice at. I'd say the thing I find most people lack ( I end up on more student sets than I should) is an understanding of negative fill. Anyone who's been in a studio which is painted totally white will know what I mean.

I obviously don't know how Cameron approached her work, but were I to try and recreate the portrait of the man I would seat him below a high window upstage of the subject and to camera right, that's the obvious bit, taken from the shadows and the catchlights in his eyes. I would probably place flags (black fabrics mounted to C-Stands) either side of the window, so that the light was only striking him, and bring a flag in close to him, up to the camera left, downstage portion of his face, to remove any fill from the ambient and increase contrast across the face. She's very very good at picking the angle of light, and I'm sure the tonality and unique colour response of her medium helps the image significantly. But often I find cutting light more beneficial in creating a dramatic mood than adding it. I hope that made sense.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So I'm taking some photography classes, trying to get more "serious" in my photography. I like how the lighting ended up in this one.

Mother & Daughter by kschruder, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

triplexpac posted:

So I'm taking some photography classes, trying to get more "serious" in my photography. I like how the lighting ended up in this one.

Mother & Daughter by kschruder, on Flickr

Cool, what sort of classes are you taking?

I think that on this one, the kid looks very cute, with a great expression on her face. The mom in the background is pretty distracting though. She seems disgusted by whatever she's looking at.

Snapshots:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

thetzar posted:

Cool, what sort of classes are you taking?

I think that on this one, the kid looks very cute, with a great expression on her face. The mom in the background is pretty distracting though. She seems disgusted by whatever she's looking at.

Haha yeah, I wish she would have had a nicer look on her face. I was just taking natural shots at a family gathering, so I wasn't really posing people.

Here's another one from that day. Wish the guy in the foreground wasn't quite so into the frame, but I do like the sense of depth it gives.

What's he thinking? by kschruder, on Flickr

I'm taking a 5-week course that is basically Intermediate photography. They assume you know the basics of exposure and how to use your camera, so they take that to the next step and give you lessons on how to use it creatively.

Just did week 1 which was basically a refresher and making sure people understood the exposure triangle and all that.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

IMG_6653-Edit-2 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

I am not too used to shooting with a 70-200 so will be practicing a lot this coming spring - it is an interesting difference being so far removed from the subject. My mom (in this picture) is pretty uncomfortable in front of cameras I think, and we were just going for a walk when I took this (not expecting or going out to shoot) during a break at work. The distance both isolates and insulates the subject I think. Anyways, too blown out on the highlights? I did my first try at lessening wrinkles by healing them out and putting them back in at a lower opacity, seemed to be an effective way to not totally smooth out the face in an unrealistic way.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
I've totally turned into that dad, considering my interest in photography grew a year or two before our first babby came along.

It helps to have a good-tempered infant to work with.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Cru Jones posted:

I've totally turned into that dad, considering my interest in photography grew a year or two before our first babby came along.

It helps to have a good-tempered infant to work with.

This is adorably cute. I dig the crazy-hair.

This is how I spent my evening:

Party's Over 1 by thetzar, on Flickr

Party's Over 2 by thetzar, on Flickr

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I've been learning photoshop lately. My buddy has a green screen backdrop so I just went nuts. Admittedly not the greatest, but I'm still learning.

Feel free to beat me up over these.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

rcman50166 posted:

I've been learning photoshop lately. My buddy has a green screen backdrop so I just went nuts. Admittedly not the greatest, but I'm still learning.

You're going to break your wrist if that lovely hook or uppercut lands. Also you need to keep your left hand up to block any counter hook.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I know nothing about boxing :sigh:

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!
Managed to snap a few quick photos of my son, about 2 minutes after a 10 minute fit.

IMG_1121-2 by bighoits, on Flickr

IMG_1137 by bighoits, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

rcman50166 posted:

I know nothing about boxing :sigh:

Your time would probably be better spent learning Refine Edge in Photoshop, anyways.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

William T. Hornaday posted:

Your time would probably be better spent learning Refine Edge in Photoshop, anyways.

you should have seen my refine edge skills before i made those :o:

Edit: just so we're clear, which photos are you saying suck? Because I have a pretty good idea, but just want to make sure.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 13, 2014

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
That photography shirt... wow.

They all suck btw.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

deaders posted:

They all suck btw.

Yeah I know. It's from a university club. But whatever. What specifically sucks? I'm trying to get better at this.

This was more of a Photoshop exercise than a portrait thing, decent lighting and a good green screen were really all I wanted. I'll take portraiture advice though.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 13, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Those aren't lit very well and you need to clean up those edges in every photo.

But more importantly, the compositions and ideas behind them are ghastly.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

1st AD posted:

Those aren't lit very well and you need to clean up those edges in every photo.

But more importantly, the compositions and ideas behind them are ghastly.

Duly noted. I'm not trying to make excuses here but those ideas came to me in all of 15 seconds. What about the lighting is terrible? I mean, I know I'm pretty novice at this, but is seems all pretty well lit to me. Not flat, decent contrast. I'm not sure how else to quantify it. I see some green I forgot to remove from the backdrop, though.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rcman50166 posted:

Someone linked me one of these and I refused to believe it wasn't parody until they also linked me to this post.

:siren:MOD CHALLENGE:siren:

rcman420 or whatever, your challenge is to create a photograph expressing the concept of "idiot piss garbage for a clown at the circus", using neither literal piss nor literal garbage. Photoshop use is not permitted other than adjusting levels and such. Should you complete this challenge, this thread will forever be prohibited from making fun of any of the photos I just quoted. Should you fail to complete this challenge, bad things will happen. The challenge is open to all, and anyone who delivers a superior product will be allowed to choose the contents of a big ol' redtext title for you (worksafe), and be declared God-King of the Portrait Thread for one week (it is not entirely clear what this entails).

If you choose to dodge the "no Photoshop" rule by using GIMP, you will also be required to post a narrated YouTube video at least five minutes in length detailing your ideas and methods when processing the photograph.

Images will be judged by both myself and William T Hornaday because I like his username.

You have one week.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.

rcman50166 posted:

I'm not trying to make excuses here but those ideas came to me in all of 15 seconds.

Some advice from someone who used to do this same exact thing for too long: don't do this. It is an excuse - a terrible one - and it's insulting to the people you're asking to critique your work. "I didn't work very hard on this and put little to no thought into it, tell me how to improve" doesn't invite helpful criticism.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I'll try my best, but the stipulation "The challenge is open to all, and anyone who delivers a superior product will be allowed to choose the contents of a big ol' redtext title for you" almost certainly guarantees I get a red title from this. I am not that good at photography.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rcman50166 posted:

I'll try my best, but the stipulation "The challenge is open to all, and anyone who delivers a superior product will be allowed to choose the contents of a big ol' redtext title for you" almost certainly guarantees I get a red title from this. I am not that good at photography.

I was just about to edit my original post, but also, if you complete this challenge in what I deem to be a "really bitchin' fashion", I will donate to you, via PayPal or a payment processor of your choice, one half of the purchase price of Topaz ReMask, which you desperately need.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Question, are Lightroom touch ups considered photoshopping or can I only use what I get straight out of the camera?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rcman50166 posted:

Question, are Lightroom touch ups considered photoshopping or can I only use what I get straight out of the camera?

Retouching should be limited to the basic sliders of the Lightroom 'Develop' module, and not poo poo like the spot healing tool or exposure brush or any of that poo poo. Regular poo poo like noise reduction and sharpening and saturation is also fine.

Edit: Crop/rotate are fine too.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 14, 2014

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

rcman50166 posted:

deaders posted:

They all suck btw.

gently caress the haters, those photos are fun as poo poo it's apparent. Now, I wouldn't pick up a camera and try to make a bunch of money with it, but you're having fun, you're doing it right. If your images are fun, bonus!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

By the way, photo contest rules apply, photos must be taken on or after today's date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
And to think I was about to open up my "idiot piss garbage for a clown at the circus" folder and pick one.

I've got some ideas. I just hope the execution matches what I have in my head. Wish me luck.