Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

VDay posted:

Well if that history directly spoils what's likely to happen on the show (not that that spoiler does), then yes. I mean, it's still a spoiler for the TV show that we're watching, and not everyone is a history buff or have in depth knowledge of Norse mythology.

e: It's like spoilers for anything else that's at least roughly based on history like Boardwalk Empire or Spartacus. Everyone knows the general history of Al Capone or the slave rebellion, but it's still spoiling people on the show to tell them specifically what happens to certain characters or how they die.

Wait! Characters are going to die? Spoiler alert...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Personally, I figure the history is so uncommonly known its best to treat it like a spoiler. I mean, it's not like...the Bible where literally everyone watching it knew Jesus gonna get crucified.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

marktheando posted:

I didn't like the Tudors or the Borgias as much as this show. Borgias was constantly guilty of really hamfisted exposition- yeah the Pope is going to explain the political layout of Italy to his mistress while having sex with her (even though she's a well educated Italian). It would be like if in House of Cards Kevin Spacey explained what Texas is to his wife. Though I have only watched the first seasons of both so maybe they improve.

Have you tried the non-Showtime Borgia show http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1736341/ I got bored with the Showtime one and stopped watching it but tried this one and liked it a whole lot better.

VDay posted:

Well if that history directly spoils what's likely to happen on the show (not that that spoiler does), then yes. I mean, it's still a spoiler for the TV show that we're watching, and not everyone is a history buff or have in depth knowledge of Norse mythology.

e: It's like spoilers for anything else that's at least roughly based on history like Boardwalk Empire or Spartacus. Everyone knows the general history of Al Capone or the slave rebellion, but it's still spoiling people on the show to tell them specifically what happens to certain characters or how they die.

Yeah, I've even read stuff that's had Ragnar's sons as characters but details about them have faded in my memory and I'd rather just be surprised by whatever happens since I'm watching the show anyway.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

savinhill posted:

Have you tried the non-Showtime Borgia show http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1736341/ I got bored with the Showtime one and stopped watching it but tried this one and liked it a whole lot better.

The one with Rawls from The Wire playing Rodrigo Borgia? Yeah I watched a bit of it when it was on Netflix, I actually found it even worse for clunky exposition, at least in the first episode. Of course Vikings still does it, "in our culture, we do this" but nowhere near as much.

And I just couldn't buy Rawls as Rodrigo, he just seemed off somehow. Too American I think, I was going to say it would be like having James Gandolfini playing Rodrigo, but actually now that I think about it that would have been amazing and now I'm sad it will never happen.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

marktheando posted:

The one with Rawls from The Wire playing Rodrigo Borgia? Yeah I watched a bit of it when it was on Netflix, I actually found it even worse for clunky exposition, at least in the first episode. Of course Vikings still does it, "in our culture, we do this" but nowhere near as much.

And I just couldn't buy Rawls as Rodrigo, he just seemed off somehow. Too American I think, I was going to say it would be like having James Gandolfini playing Rodrigo, but actually now that I think about it that would have been amazing and now I'm sad it will never happen.

I had trouble with him at first too cuz I'm just so used to every role like that getting played by someone with an English accent, but I got used to it after a couple episodes and started really enjoying him in the role.

Also, every historical show like that is gonna start out with some bad exposition, especially one with all the Vatican and Italian city states politics going on. I thought they got a lot better with it as it went along.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Sash! posted:

Personally, I figure the history is so uncommonly known its best to treat it like a spoiler. I mean, it's not like...the Bible where literally everyone watching it knew Jesus gonna get crucified.

gently caress you I wasn't done with that book yet.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

darthzeta88 posted:

The movie was better anyway.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Equester posted:

Northmen or Norsemen (or the latin Normanni) most often means Danes or Norwegians, though it can mean anyone from Scandinavia. In the Anglo-Saxon Chronnicle, the Frankish Chronicle and in Dudo's Libri III de moribus et actis primorum Normanniae ducum. Northmen almost exclusively referes to Danes. Dudo particularly will point out when he also talk about Norwegian people, since his story is about the Danes who colonized Normandy.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification on that.

It makes sense since as far as I know, the Danes were by and far the most powerful group of people called Vikings at the time. And the show never really explicitly says exactly (IIRC) where it takes place. Unless it did in the first episode.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

darthzeta88 posted:

I'm pretty sure they even mention it in the back cover blurb.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

life is killing me posted:

Ah. Thanks for the clarification on that.

It makes sense since as far as I know, the Danes were by and far the most powerful group of people called Vikings at the time. And the show never really explicitly says exactly (IIRC) where it takes place. Unless it did in the first episode.

They mention only "Kattegatt", which is roughly the part of the ocean between Denmark and Sweden. And in reality there are no fjords in any shore along Kattegatt. But to be fair, the flat lands of Denmark aren't what most people associate with Viking lands. It's not as egragirous of an error as Uppsala i think.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 11, 2014

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Falukorv posted:

They mention only "Kattegatt", which is roughly the part of the ocean between Denmark and Sweden. And in reality there are no fjords in any shore along Kattegatt. But to be fair, the flat lands of Denmark aren't what most people associate with Viking lands. It's not as egragirous of an error as Uppsala i think.

Possibly it was deliberate for the benefit of those who aren't as goony about Viking history as I am. I want to learn as much as I can about Vikings.

Anyway, yeah, I figure they just chose a generic or vague geographical location, gave it a name, and viewers would just figure "I guess that's where Vikings come from or whatever."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I just think of it as a modern telling of a saga, if it's a good story who cares if it's 100% accurate?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I just think of it as a modern telling of a saga, if it's a good story who cares if it's 100% accurate?

Fair enough. I am, of course, not saying I don't love the show nor that not being 100% accurate makes it a bad show. To me, it's fascinating to connect dots and see things it got right and with what it takes liberty. I mean, quite honestly, it IS a History Channel production, after all.

Dance Marine
Feb 17, 2014

marktheando posted:

Although when the gently caress is Ivar the Boneless going to make an appearance?.

I hope they don't make him a cripple because there was a good chance he wasn’t, not historically at least and "boneless” most likely just referred to his physical prowess.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

life is killing me posted:

I mean, quite honestly, it IS a History Channel production, after all.

You sayin' you want aliens in this or some poo poo?

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

doctor 7 posted:

You sayin' you want aliens in this or some poo poo?

Odin had only one eye? Clearly he was from a race of one eyed aliens posing as a God to the Vikings. He used cosmetic surgery to appear humanlike but instead of using a fake eye came up with a story to explain where he got knowledge

image of that aliens guy with weird hair

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Chiming in a bit late, but I really liked the Tudors a lot. Everyone should give it a try. I'm loving Vikings too. I'm fully down with the idea of this being an exaggerated saga-style story, to the point where I'd be happy to see literal sea serpents and poo poo :D

Anyone got more suggestions for more good (even loosely) historical stuff? Rome, perhaps?

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 12, 2014

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Big Bug Hug posted:

Chiming in a bit late, but I really liked the Tudors a lot. Everyone should give it a try. I'm loving Vikings too. Anyone got more suggestions for more good (even loosely) historical stuff? Rome, perhaps?

Spartacus for sure.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Spartacus for sure.

How could I forget Spartacus? I watched a few episodes way back but never got into it. But I hear it takes a while to get going. I'm gonna give it another try, thanks!

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Big Bug Hug posted:

Anyone got more suggestions for more good (even loosely) historical stuff? Rome, perhaps?
Yes. Rome is really good.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Spartacus for sure.

Are the later series any good? I couldn't bring myself to watch right away after Andy Whitfield died.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Are the later series any good? I couldn't bring myself to watch right away after Andy Whitfield died.

The show got better with every season, in my opinion.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Pinky Artichoke posted:

The first few eps of Vengeance (the first series without Andy) are a bit rough, but from then on everything is pretty awesome.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Brennan posted:

Odin had only one eye? Clearly he was from a race of one eyed aliens posing as a God to the Vikings. He used cosmetic surgery to appear humanlike but instead of using a fake eye came up with a story to explain where he got knowledge

image of that aliens guy with weird hair

?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I keep expecting Athelstan to have some moral conflicts but hes not flinching yet.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Well that speech was rather chilling and possibly ominous

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

I like how he's giving a bit of background and really all the King cares about is if there will be treasure

edit: pretty cool how my cable cuts out right in the middle of the opening segment

Brennan fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 14, 2014

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
holy poo poo Athelstan, captain quick draw over there.

edit: Floki keeping tabs :colbert:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And that totally wasn't a metaphor for Aethelstan's transformation from holy man to viking marauder.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I love how Floki is practically non-human when he's in raiding mode. Like an alien or something.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

And that totally wasn't a metaphor for Aethelstan's transformation from holy man to viking marauder.

He literally killed his old self

Holy poo poo Bjorn got big!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Puberty hit Bjorn like a truck.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

DarklyDreaming posted:

Good call. His world has indeed turned.

Also :gonk: that baby.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Zero One posted:

Puberty hit Bjorn like a truck.

Bjorn now understands why his dad went after all that pussy.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Ragnar making that bishop feel as uncomfortable as possible

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
...and Horik helped.

Bjorn gonna snap and gently caress somebody up.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Man, I kinda wanted to see Siggy throw down.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
New Bjorn is doing a really good job acting like Ragnar.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Sash! posted:

Man, I kinda wanted to see Siggy throw down.

So you want to see her get killed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Brennan posted:

So you want to see her get killed?

Shed probably cozy up to Jarl Borg and become wifey #3 before it came to that.

• Locked thread