Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

ShotgunWillie posted:

Yo Dork, how come you never come visit anymore. My bees miss you.

Yo hit me up on Gchat, we'll set up a shoot this week. I seriously thought they were all dead from Sandy still.

MrBlandAverage posted:

How much direction are you giving your portrait subjects?

Most of the time I'm just telling them to keep their eyes open while I shoot, but I'm getting more comfortable with direction/styling as I do it more and more, and realize the models are all pretty comfortable about it (as long as the pictures are good)

Geektox posted:

Just FYI they can't be shared because they're marked as naughty bits on flickr for some reason.

My account was restricted for nudity for a while (dongs) so I guess I uploaded it during that time??? loving Flickr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

alkanphel posted:

Hasselblad and Rollei were pretty prolific, among with Pentax and Mamiya I think.

Was Rollei's interchangeable mount all that popular? I even have one and I'm not sure if it even has a formal name for the mount.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Yo hit me up on Gchat, we'll set up a shoot this week. I seriously thought they were all dead from Sandy still.

Most of the time I'm just telling them to keep their eyes open while I shoot, but I'm getting more comfortable with direction/styling as I do it more and more, and realize the models are all pretty comfortable about it (as long as the pictures are good)

My account was restricted for nudity for a while (dongs) so I guess I uploaded it during that time??? loving Flickr.

Nah man, now I want you to take pics of my dong.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Hey I worked with one of your models. Don't stop. Maybe there's some money in it. There's a definite market for your style. Finding that market, or any drat market, well that's a mystery to me.

Anyway, the Fuji GSW960III is the ultimate "because large format takes a long time" camera.

Also hooray for crops cause gently caress getting anything level when cars are trying to murder you and that camera, it's like, way heavy man.

Enhance

Enhance

ENHANCE

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
gently caress you guys, I did some LF portraiture the other day.

It takes a long time and I do this rarely enough that I missed focus on a bunch :smith:

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Fuji GSW690 doesn't have an out of focus option :cool:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

notlodar posted:

Fuji GSW690 doesn't have an out of focus option :cool:

I guess it doesn't have a narrow DOF option either, then :smugdog:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

MrBlandAverage posted:

gently caress you guys, I did some LF portraiture the other day.

It takes a long time and I do this rarely enough that I missed focus on a bunch :smith:

This is beautiful stuff.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Color is great. I hate scanning color. How are you scanning?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Color is great. I hate scanning color. How are you scanning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

yep

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Is there something bad with having the scanning software invert negatives? Something like Vuescan?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

If it's just inverting and not attempting to correct the blue cast you'll be fine but the effort in the end will be the difference between hitting ctrl+I in photoshop and hitting 'invert' in VueScan.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I think you can actually invert in LR but can you do individual RGB levels?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

In LR5 and hopefully beyond, yes. It's miles easier in Photoshop if you can use the 'show clipping' button in the curves dialog.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ansel autisms posted:

In LR5 and hopefully beyond, yes. It's miles easier in Photoshop if you can use the 'show clipping' button in the curves dialog.

Is the histogram ref not enough? I guess in LR there isn't a histogram for individual channels?!?

Sorry I would check but I don't have it at work.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I've had trouble just following the histogram if I have any dust on my negatives.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ansel autisms posted:

I've had trouble just following the histogram if I have any dust on my negatives.

Just checked out LR5.2s levels with an old negative scan and in the RGB mode of the levels module it respects individual channel clipping if you have clip highlighting turned on for the viewer. Its still standard LR clipping and not black/red like PS but if it saves me a few trips between apps and intermediate files on disk I'm happy!

Edit: Sigh, still easier in PS.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 15, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I have some really odd questions for a Fuji GX680. Which forums do all the GX680 users hang out?

Basically I want to know what my ND filter options are for the 180/3.5. The kicker is that this thing takes 95C(C=coarse) filters. Practically all 95mm filters are not coarse thread so they won't take. Getting a 95C to 95 filter adapter machined costs just as much as a 95C filter ($150) so I'm leaning towards that just to have access to cheaper 95 regular filters. I could also get a 95C Cokin adapter(I think these still exist) and just forgo round filters altogether but I'm not sure if I want to do that since I'd probably want to mate the cokin to other lenses using cheap adapters vs Cokin ones.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

So I have some really odd questions for a Fuji GX680. Which forums do all the GX680 users hang out?

Basically I want to know what my ND filter options are for the 180/3.5. The kicker is that this thing takes 95C(C=coarse) filters. Practically all 95mm filters are not coarse thread so they won't take. Getting a 95C to 95 filter adapter machined costs just as much as a 95C filter ($150) so I'm leaning towards that just to have access to cheaper 95 regular filters. I could also get a 95C Cokin adapter(I think these still exist) and just forgo round filters altogether but I'm not sure if I want to do that since I'd probably want to mate the cokin to other lenses using cheap adapters vs Cokin ones.

Haha, speak of the devil! Those things are so obscure and I kinda forgot they existed, until I ran into couple at a used camera shop in Fukuoka yesterday. Gonna be going back there this afternoon, if there's anything you want me to look for, let me know!

Rather than getting one machined, you should be able to find a lovely 95C and 95 filter, punch out the glass in both, and epoxy them together. (Boom, adapter). Will be a little thicker than getting one custom machined, which could show up as vignetting on extreme WA's, but wouldn't think it'd be a problem with a 180mm.

edit: realized the threads on the 95C might gently caress that idea up unless you can force it down on the 95, do you have a hacksaw around?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Haha, speak of the devil! Those things are so obscure and I kinda forgot they existed, until I ran into couple at a used camera shop in Fukuoka yesterday. Gonna be going back there this afternoon, if there's anything you want me to look for, let me know!

Rather than getting one machined, you should be able to find a lovely 95C and 95 filter, punch out the glass in both, and epoxy them together. (Boom, adapter). Will be a little thicker than getting one custom machined, which could show up as vignetting on extreme WA's, but wouldn't think it'd be a problem with a 180mm.

edit: realized the threads on the 95C might gently caress that idea up unless you can force it down on the 95, do you have a hacksaw around?

Haha you cray! I'm actually looking into the Fotodiox square filter holder. The threads on the 95mm might actually be coarse. Worst case I'll just get something machined.

How much was the 95C filter you came across? What kind of filters were they?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Haha you cray! I'm actually looking into the Fotodiox square filter holder. The threads on the 95mm might actually be coarse. Worst case I'll just get something machined.

How much was the 95C filter you came across? What kind of filters were they?

I wasn't looking at the filters, but I can give them a gander. I saw a Tiffen 95C from China for something like $45 shipped on eBay when I checked.

The square filter thing is probably the way to go, more versatile.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Developed another roll, I'm really struggling with pure B&W, so many shots turn out much flatter and more washed out that what I would have expected. Only ended up 3-4 I was semi happy with from the entire roll.

Mandurah B&W by s d photo, on Flickr

Mandurah B&W 2 by s d photo, on Flickr

He wanted to go on the boat by s d photo, on Flickr

Beach B&W by s d photo, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

deaders posted:

Developed another roll, I'm really struggling with pure B&W, so many shots turn out much flatter and more washed out that what I would have expected. Only ended up 3-4 I was semi happy with from the entire roll.

Mine always come out really flat from the scanner, you got to work with them a bit.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

deaders posted:

There's a reason darkroom papers have contrast grades and darkroom people have a vast collection of dodging and burning tools. Fling your scans into Photoshop and don't feel bad about it.

Digital's linear response curve (and the crappy Dmax on most scanners) means you get stuck doing more of the work. It blows, but that's life. The extra control kinda sorta balances it out.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 16, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
For the life of me I can't seem to find the inner and outer diameters for the Pentax 6x7 mount.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Molten Llama posted:

There's a reason darkroom papers have contrast grades and darkroom people have a vast collection of dodging and burning tools. Fling your scans into Photoshop and don't feel bad about it.

Digital's linear response curve (and the crappy Dmax on most scanners) means you get stuck doing more of the work. It blows, but that's life. The extra control kinda sorta balances it out.

Ok good to know, thanks. I thought there was something wrong with my developing or scanning technique.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah you gotta edit your scans. I shot a roll of Tri-X on my SQ-A recently and the negs weren't great contrast-wise when scanned. A bit of messing with curves in PS improved them a bit:

Straight from scan:

After PS:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PS doesn't make up for missed focus :smith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shooting handheld, wide-open on an 160mm 2.8 lens is unforgiving :gbsmith:

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
After nearly 3 months my Hasselblad has finally returned. Dave Odess does a pretty amazing job so if any Hassey owners need a repair, definitely go to him. The thing looks and operates like it came straight out of the factory. I definitely wish the process was faster, as I have been shooting the inferior 6x4.5 Mamiya that my friend let me borrow as well as a d600, but it just isn't the same. Give me my little metal box over all of those cameras any day. Time to get back into making squares :getin:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Has anybody seen a TV commercial for Lancaster candies? Just saw one while watching Cosmos and they briefly flashed a Rolleiflex on-screen.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

404notfound posted:

Has anybody seen a TV commercial for Lancaster candies? Just saw one while watching Cosmos and they briefly flashed a Rolleiflex on-screen.

Sounds close to home. Lancaster PA?

Is there a cameras-in-movies thread?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Shaocaholica posted:

Sounds close to home. Lancaster PA?

Is there a cameras-in-movies thread?

Dunno if it's named after the city, but I finally found a link to the commercial. The camera shows up around 25 seconds: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Bg3/lancaster-soft-cremes

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

404notfound posted:

Dunno if it's named after the city, but I finally found a link to the commercial. The camera shows up around 25 seconds: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Bg3/lancaster-soft-cremes

Oh yeah thats definitely close to home (hershey pa). Still haven't heard of them but maybe thats because of city of hershey propaganda machine.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I just want to mention that every time I see the GX680 spoken of, I have to fight down the urge to buy one again. I just try to remind myself that I haven't touched my Sinar in years.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Shooting handheld, wide-open on an 160mm 2.8 lens is unforgiving :gbsmith:

How did you manage to get a 160mm 2.8 lens on an SQ-A? Never heard of such a lens for the system.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm actually a dumbass and it's a 150mm f3.5 lens. DOF is still very narrow wide open.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

That's a butchered 3.5F or 3.5E2, by the way. It's a late model as it has the late logo, and the dials lack the interlock switches that link the aperture & shutter speed dials.
Butchered, because you can see it has the light meter-cell 'windows' on top, but lacks the hump for the match-meter needle on the focus knob. All models that were built meter-less have the metering cells replaced by a black, striped, plastic inlet, or especially on earlier models - lack the cutout entirely, resulting in a larger logo.

This post wasn't brought to you by Hershey's, but your local Rollei-sperg.
Thank you very much.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I snagged a $5k ticket to a corporate suite to the Melbourne F1 on Sunday. In between sipping champagne and eating caviar (seriously), I took some shots with the trusty GW690ii:

Tire Warmer by mr_student, on Flickr

Ready by mr_student, on Flickr

Ferrari Pits by mr_student, on Flickr

Lotus Pits by mr_student, on Flickr

• Locked thread