Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Alaan posted:

And yeah, you still need to pay the mana costs. luckily he can also steal lands!

Vivid lands + Reflecting Pool :getin: I have a lovely Modern Esper list that does this with Nightveils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Bring back five color control.

Any standard where casting a spell with 7 colored mana symbols in it over three colors is no thang is hilarious.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Alaan posted:

Bring back five color control.

Any standard where casting a spell with 7 colored mana symbols in it over three colors is no thang is hilarious.

You can draft chromaticore decks, and it is glorious.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mortimer posted:

You can draft chromaticore decks, and it is glorious.

Or better yet, five-color control with Chromanticore as a finisher.

And then you bestow a Chromanticore on another Chromanticore :xcom:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

C-Euro posted:

Or better yet, five-color control with Chromanticore as a finisher.

And then you bestow a Chromanticore on another Chromanticore :xcom:

Except none of the abilities stack so you might as well be bestowing a vanilla 4/4.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Promoted Pawn posted:

Except none of the abilities stack so you might as well be bestowing a vanilla 4/4.

Well, what else are you going to do? Cast the second one as a creature? :v:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I'm upset they haven't printed ways to absolutely abuse enchantments, nor any really good enchantments in general this block. I just want "return target enchantment to the battlefield" or something. Come on wizards I know you want to let me play chromaticore in monowhite.

Other than the occasional god are there any enchantments from Theros that are played?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Well all the weapons seem to be seeing occasional use to varying degrees.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Mortimer posted:

I'm upset they haven't printed ways to absolutely abuse enchantments, nor any really good enchantments in general this block. I just want "return target enchantment to the battlefield" or something. Come on wizards I know you want to let me play chromaticore in monowhite.

Other than the occasional god are there any enchantments from Theros that are played?

Nighthowler in the b/g graveyard deck, the god weapons see some play (do the red decks play hammer anymore?), Boon Satyr saw some play, and doesn't Chained to the Rock see some as well? The point is good one, for an enchantment set very few of the non gods are seeing any play out of limited.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I totally agree with you, I feel let down by Theros block so far, but if Journey into Nyx does a good job of shaking up the standard meta by enabling strong enchantment based synergies, I will be very happy with the overall direction of the block.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

50 pounds of bread posted:

I totally agree with you, I feel let down by Theros block so far, but if Journey into Nyx does a good job of shaking up the standard meta by enabling strong enchantment based synergies, I will be very happy with the overall direction of the block.

What direction would you say Theros went in?

If it was "make RTR seem really really good" then mission accomplished. Although Theros has thoughtseize, but that isn't original enough.

And yeah I guess Chained to the Rocks is a pretty good card, I just wish they made things like the god weapons except maybe more useful in most cases. Except whip, that's probably at a good level right now.

If they print Daybreak Coronet in Journey, I will not be surprised whatsoever.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mortimer posted:

The weapons and some of the enchantment creatures like Boon Satyr, Courser of Kruphix see play.

There's a cheap yet bonkers BW Bestow deck running around and the wincon is dropping down Heroes of Ioras and bestowing them with Heralds of Torment and Hopeful Eidolons.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Well, right now, Theros block brought us to a place where we have giant monsters, cultists of Erebos, and Thassa and her army of blue zealots all fighting one another. Some strong Ravnica control magic is around still, but the primary focus of the format right now, are thematically Theros archetype concepts. The only thing that is really missing at this point, are the heroes of the individual human cities. If Journey into Nyx features high powered enchantment based strategies, it opens up the possibilities of hero archetypes breaking into the format in a meaningful way. Enabling strong heroic based strategies, will make the format diverse in a way that ties together the entire concept of the Theros block mechanically.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Theros has brought some strong stuff to the table, just very little of it is enchantments. Devotion has been a solid game changer and is by far the most dominant mechanic from the block. This is a little disappointing for the enchantment block to be overshadowed by another mechanic, again, much like in the urza's block.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The last time they really pushed hard on enchantment enablers we got Opalescence and Replenish. It's possible Maro is just still having flashbacks fifteen years later. :v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
To me the issue is that for Theros, Enchantment=Aura, for the most part, when I'm pretty sure what most people really like is static enchantments. Burning Vengeance, Fable of Wolf and Owl, Waste Not, Porphyry Nodes and the like. You couldn't base a format just off of those, but you could certainly toss in some more build-arounds. As it is, Theros gave us things like Flamespeaker Adept which just wasn't close to enough.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Theros was never an enchantment block, it's a greek mythology block. They're using enchantments to portray the gods, which means enchantments are a stronger focus of the block but the design was never about enchantments matter.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
There's no denying power level is down, though. The voltron effect requires toning down removal as well which grates on people subconsciously I find as well.

I think nykthos, thoughtseize, and maybe courser & some red scrylands will be the only cards from the last two sets to have real non-edh staying power.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

There's no denying power level is down, though. The voltron effect requires toning down removal as well which grates on people subconsciously I find as well.

I think nykthos, thoughtseize, and maybe courser & some red scrylands will be the only cards from the last two sets to have real non-edh staying power.

What about Spirit of the Labyrinth? It looks like it was deliberately designed to be the "legacy-playable only" card in the set, but I don't keep up with DnT decklists or DnT in general. Is the consensus it just isn't worth it?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Mortimer posted:

Come on wizards I know you want to let me play chromaticore in monowhite.

It's way too expensive, but it theoretically would let a monowhite deck cheat out a chromanticore.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Fable of Wolf and Owl
If only. I love that card to death.

Kabanaw posted:

Theros was never an enchantment block, it's a greek mythology block. They're using enchantments to portray the gods, which means enchantments are a stronger focus of the block but the design was never about enchantments matter.

Yeah, this was noted several times over in the build up to Theros but it's faded from the collective Magic consciousness.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Master of Waves and Thassa have already been added to modern Merfolk and look to stay there. It didn't really move the deck out of tier two though. Although it has never been officially said, I think they try to shoot for 3-5 cards in each new set to have Modern/Legacy implications. Now does that mean new cards for Jund or Affinity to play with every three months? No, but it allows different archetypes to get more powerful. Even Dragon's Maze gave some cards to fringe strategies to make them more playable (Wear/Tear is perfect sideboard tech for RW control, Breaking/Entering made modern mill a little more viable, a couple Unflinching Courage in Bogle.)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Anger of the gods will be a modern staple for a long time.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Mortimer posted:

If there isn't a decent Enchantress in the 3rd set, I will be quite disappointed.

I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Olothreutes posted:

Theros has brought some strong stuff to the table, just very little of it is enchantments. Devotion has been a solid game changer and is by far the most dominant mechanic from the block. This is a little disappointing for the enchantment block to be overshadowed by another mechanic, again, much like in the urza's block.
Yeah, this.

JerryLee posted:

The last time they really pushed hard on enchantment enablers we got Opalescence and Replenish. It's possible Maro is just still having flashbacks fifteen years later. :v:
You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mortimer posted:

The gods' weapons. :v:
Courser of Kruphix, Boon Satyr, Hopeful Eidolon... that's about it.

Chained to the Rocks is super good if you want to build a Boros deck, but almost no one does right now.

And I keep waiting for someone to break Gift of Immortality somehow.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Entropic posted:

And I keep waiting for someone to break Gift of Immortality somehow.

Thragtusk reprinted in M15

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Death Bot posted:

Thragtusk reprinted in M15

Dear loving God I hope not.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
A question about turn phases / mechanics. I've watched a fair bit of MODO streaming, but I'm not sure the right way to communicate this exchange in person to make sure my opponent doesn't rules-lawyer it.

Opponent attacking with a big dumb 6/6 or something. I have Tymaret and a 1/1 token in play. I want to chump the token, but use tymaret to sac the token and hit my opponent's face.

Is this the right sequence?

Opponent - Declare attackers, attacking with 6/6
Me - block the 6/6 with token. (What phrase do I use to say - 'okay, these are my blockers')
Me - Before we got to combat damage, activate Tymaret, sacrificing token to do 2 damage to opponent's face

Is there more generally a simple guide for proper Magic language?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Devor posted:

A question about turn phases / mechanics. I've watched a fair bit of MODO streaming, but I'm not sure the right way to communicate this exchange in person to make sure my opponent doesn't rules-lawyer it.

Opponent attacking with a big dumb 6/6 or something. I have Tymaret and a 1/1 token in play. I want to chump the token, but use tymaret to sac the token and hit my opponent's face.

Me - block the 6/6 with token. (What phrase do I use to say - 'okay, these are my blockers')
Me - Before we got to combat damage, activate Tymaret, sacrificing token to do 2 damage to opponent's face

That is pretty much the way to do it. If I want to sac a blocker or something similar, I just say "Before damage X".

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Devor posted:

This is pretty much exactly the way you should sequence this. If there are ever more than one block to make I will say "block like this" after finalizing what blocks where.

To avoid issues with order of who plays effects, I sometimes phrase it, "Block like this, you have priority before damage, anything you'd like to do?" Then if they say no, I say, "Ok, I get priority and activate Tymaret...."

It depends on the situation. I'm assuming FNM with a relatively inexperienced opponent, but I'm pretty fed up with opponents who don't know phases and steps lately. At an Open or PTQ or something, I wouldn't be feeding my opponent prompts and just call a judge if they gently caress up and try to skip a step.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Just remember that the active player gets his/her chance to do combat tricks before you do, so wait until they say something like, "So, your guy dies?" to indicate they've passed priority before giving the Murder King a victim.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Yeah, at Regular REL I wouldn't worry about it too much. At Competitive REL you need to be more precise.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you want to get really pedantic you can spell out every step change.
"I declare my attack"
"No response. Declare attacks step."
"I'm attacking with these guys"
"Ok. Declare blockers step. I block with these guys. Effects? No? I get priority. I sac this dude, and pass priority back. Effects? OK, combat damage step."

But the way you did it is pretty much how they do it even at a pro tour, except as noted, the attacking player gets priority before you do in the declare blockers step.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Devor posted:

With Murdergoats if I use Tymaret like this I will typically say:

I declare these blockers.
Before damage is resolved do you have anything else you will be doing?

If no, then I say that I am saccing creature to Tymaret prior to damage from combat resolving.
If yes, then I wait until they motion to let me know it is my turn to do something before combat damage.

After the first 1 or 2 of these the player will figure out that you will be doing this during combat almost everytime, so they won't necessarily need the hand holding.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Rules clarification for me: if I'm doing some genesis wave shenanigans and the wave nets me a craterhoof behemoth, all my guys in play get +X and trample. If I get another wave off in the same turn, which is pretty common I've discovered, do the creatures that come in after craterhoof get that +X from his ability? Is it global for the turn or does it only buff guys who were already out when he came in?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Probably one of the most important rules areas you can bone up on as a player is just knowing who gets priority when. It ends up mattering a lot with certain decks.

e.g. if you're playing Infect, and you attack with your Glistener Elf, your opponent declares blockers, then you have priority first. If you pass priority to them before you cast anything (because you want to see if they have a removal spell, say) and they don't cast anything, then you're moving right along to combat damage and it's too late for you to cast a bunch of Mutagenic Growths or whatever on your Elf.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Rules clarification for me: if I'm doing some genesis wave shenanigans and the wave nets me a craterhoof behemoth, all my guys in play get +X and trample. If I get another wave off in the same turn, which is pretty common I've discovered, do the creatures that come in after craterhoof get that +X from his ability? Is it global for the turn or does it only buff guys who were already out when he came in?

Once his ability has resolved, no further bonuses apply. Say I control three Elvish Mystics and I cast a Craterhoof. All my creatures get +4/+4 until end of turn. If I then cast another Elvish Mystic, he's just a 1/1, he doesn't get the bonus and doesn't increase the bonus for the other creatures, because the effect that gave the bonus already finished resolving.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I break things down like that with newer players to get them into good habits.

I've faced too many opponents lately who don't even seem to understand there are two main phases. They cast all their spells, turn guys sideways as if it were just another action in their main phase, and then change life totals as the final action of the turn. I actually had an opponent argue with me when I tried to cast Revelation in his end step; he thought no one could cast spells because attacking is the end of the turn.

The only step that really bugs me is entering combat, though. I can't stand when players tap and untap guys like they're lands and then decide to cast another sorcery. I try to make them declare entering combat, since debating who's attacking like that pretty clearly signals we're in the declare attackers step. I'm probably spoiled my MTGO making you commit. I see it all the time on camera, too, and no one seems to care, but it's a pet peeve of mine to be ambiguous about what phase we're in.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So last night me and my friends did a massive casual multiplayer match, I was using my slightly adjusted MURDERGOATS with a white splash and I managed to act of treason my friend's ludevic's test subject (13/13), slapped a murder investigation on it, swung it back at him, sacrificed it to tymaret and 13 tokens appeared on the field, doing 26 damage to everyone because of purphoros's effect. It was the most fun I have had in a multiplayer match for a while.:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I break things down like that with newer players to get them into good habits.

I've faced too many opponents lately who don't even seem to understand there are two main phases. They cast all their spells, turn guys sideways as if it were just another action in their main phase, and then change life totals as the final action of the turn. I actually had an opponent argue with me when I tried to cast Revelation in his end step; he thought no one could cast spells because attacking is the end of the turn.

The only step that really bugs me is entering combat, though. I can't stand when players tap and untap guys like they're lands and then decide to cast another sorcery. I try to make them declare entering combat, since debating who's attacking like that pretty clearly signals we're in the declare attackers step. I'm probably spoiled my MTGO making you commit. I see it all the time on camera, too, and no one seems to care, but it's a pet peeve of mine to be ambiguous about what phase we're in.
I think the first part is because a lot of new players are coming from DOTP where generally speaking playing everything in the main phase works just fine because the AI won't really take new stuff into account.

• Locked thread