Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
Do DMs get involved with hiring bussers? That seems a bit much. I worked fast food for several months when I was 19 and I think I met with the store manager and that was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

life is killing me posted:

Real talk, Benny: Have you followed up on any of your interviews? You know, like, called them? That "don't call us, we'll call you" deal usually doesn't mean they are excited about you, but sometimes being the one that calls back every so often to check up can be good.

Don't call too much, though. And don't call too soon. They might ignore you and start seeing some other bus boy with a bigger twig n' berries.

Detailed instructions, man. Benny has no idea if calling too much is every day or every other October

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Detailed instructions, man. Benny has no idea if calling too much is every day or every other October

Yeah I forgot that some don't have common sense that would dictate how often or how little to call.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Benny the Snake posted:

The General Manager at the Olive Garden told me I'd get a call back by next week to speak with the district manager. So just like Sears, I'm waiting for a call back. And no, I didn't give a thank you note.

Just as a heads up Benny, normally what people do is they get a business card from the person or people they interviewed with and shoot off an email that night expressing thanks for taking the time to talk to you and that you were excited to learn <x> fact or whatever to show you were actively listening. Good luck sir!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Benny the Snake posted:

The General Manager at the Olive Garden told me I'd get a call back by next week to speak with the district manager. So just like Sears, I'm waiting for a call back. And no, I didn't give a thank you note.

I want you to think back to that conversation and be very specific. Did the GM say that you would definitely be getting a call by next week to speak to the DM or did they say that you would get a call back by next week if you advanced in the recruitment process?

When you're applying for these positions, is there usually only a single position open or are they doing a general recruitment drive for staff? Do you ever ask how many people are being interviewed at each stage (knowing this can guide you in how far past the "deadline" for hearing from them you should let it go before you contact them and whether it's more appropriate to follow up by email or phone)?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also bear in mind (though you've had so many interviews I expect you know this) that it's not uncommon to never hear anything at all if you didn't get a particular job.

It sucks, but employers are not always great at even sending out form "thank you for coming in, we have found someone else" letters.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Lolie posted:

I want you to think back to that conversation and be very specific.

Hahahaha. Look at this guy. Great post and all, but come on, you know how it goes.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Benny next time you give an interviewer a thank-you card the second after the interview ends slip a cool $20 in the card.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Magnus Gallant posted:

Benny next time you give an interviewer a thank-you card the second after the interview ends slip a cool $20 in the card.

The interviewer will be so puzzled when Benny carries in a cooler full of ice. He'll be even more baffled when Benny opens it and hands him a thank you card with a cold twenty dollar bill.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
The DM calling isn't totally implausible, although I'm not familiar with Sears' internal structure. Since they're responsible for a significant portion of a company's operations, their instructions to a store could be along the lines of "Yo, Store Manager, your hours are way out of line for the business you're doing and it's really eating into your profit margin. You need to cut shifts" or something like "Marketing told me that from the customer care surveys they sent out, the thing that damages us most is the perception that there aren't enough associates around to help. Hire some more people."

Most places don't send out rejection letters because it's a waste of HR's time (it's obvious that if you don't get a call/letter, you didn't get the job), and because there's the risk that an unsuccessful candidate will take issue with the wording and complain about discrimination.

I have gotten calls when I was the runner-up for a position, but that was for internal postings.

That said, it really sucks not getting so much as a "gently caress you" from a potential employer.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Benny you should revisit my crack idea. Maybe you could get into dealing first before you get hooked.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Quantum Finger posted:

Benny you should revisit my crack idea. Maybe you could get into dealing first before you get hooked.

Many successful people started by selling crack. Just look at Jay-Z!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If anybody missed it, Benny blatantly tried to cheat in Thunderdome.

Again.

Advertiser
Mar 2, 2007
I'll sell you a dream....

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

If anybody missed it, Benny blatantly tried to cheat in Thunderdome.

Again.

Tell me more, tell me more?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
This week, we're writing ghost stories. The prompt is very open, but there's one additional caveat.

quote:

For this round an additional rule is in effect: Do not ask anyone who has posted in this thread to look at your story before you submit. You must stand or fall alone.
Immediately, Benny contacted two well-regarded 'dome veterans and asked them to look at his story. We suspected he contacted more people than that, but these two went straight to the judges and laughed their asses of about how Benny had tried to get them to break the rules. We were chatting about what to do with Benny in irc and the decision was something along the lines of "give him a chance to 'fess up and see how he reacts". This was that chance:

quote:

You've been added to the list, but I'd like to draw your attention to this part of the prompt:

quote:

Realistically, this is a difficult rule to enforce, and I'm counting somewhat on an honor system, but if I do find out you've asked for help it's an instant DQ for you.
Keep it in mind, hmm?
How did Benny respond?

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm very much aware :tipshat:

So let's recap
1) the rule says no going for help
2) Benny immediately breaks the rule in the worst and most obvious way possible
3) the judges decide to give him a chance to confess at which point ...
4) he doesn't, and at the same time destroys any hope that he might've just skimmed the prompt post and missed the rule. I may be reading too deeply into this, but I can't help see the cocked hat smiley as Benny's "teheehee puppetmaster im so clever they'll never catch me" moment.

If I were the judge this week, I would've dug up the old ultraloser avatar that we save for special occasions. HOWEVER, in his infinite wisdom, The Saddest Rhino has given Benny one last chance to repent.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

IN LIGHT of this incredible development, it has been convened, and it has been agreed, that for you, Benny the Snake - in order for your story to escape both disqualification and/or humiliation, the following :siren: FLASH RULES :siren: shall be applicable to you:

1. YOU MUST WRITE A NEW STORY other than the one attempted to be shown to, or has been shown to, Sebmojo and Fanky Malloons. We are fully aware we cannot control this, so let your own conscience be your guide.

2. YOUR STORY MUST PROMOTE THE FOLLOWING MATTERS AS GREAT VIRTUES:

(a) reading and listening to instructions carefully
(b) not being a liar.

We look forward to reading your story!

That's two times in a row that Benny has broken the rules, both in really dumb and obvious ways. Perhaps the saga of gokupants has softened me to internet idiots, but if he can actually post something decent this week without breaking the rules, there may be hope for him yet.

But keep in mind Benny, we're not nearly as dumb as you seem to think we are. Nobody is that dumb. You couldn't control a shopping cart, and you sure as poo poo can't play us like chess pieces.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

But keep in mind Benny, we're not nearly as dumb as you seem to think we are. Nobody is that dumb. You couldn't control a shopping cart, and you sure as poo poo can't play us like chess pieces.

:thurman:

I was going to quote Benny's post about how honesty is a personal conviction, but he edited that part of it out.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Advertiser posted:

Tell me more, tell me more?

Did he get very far?

EDIT: gently caress, way too late. And I've been caught quoting a song from Grease...

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 14, 2014

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Benny call Vince McMahon, maybe you could get a job as a WWE jobber.

You could get hit by a folding chair then write a short story about it. That would be your gimmick "the writer man".

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Well that does it, Benny you are an idiot. :smith:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't get why everyone is so surprised. Benny's a liar by nature, remember? He does it all the time, even though he's terrible at it. Just like his writing.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
He is a writer, after all

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Arian_Samurai posted:

Benny call Vince McMahon, maybe you could get a job as a WWE jobber.

You could get hit by a folding chair then write a short story about it. That would be your gimmick "the writer man".

The wrestler Raven used to bring a shopping cart to the ring during his entrance.

He also used it as a weapon

Benny you know what you must do.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!
While you're adding special rules for Benny, can you add one saying he'll be banned if he responds to criticism of his story with any variation of "I know it wasn't very good, it wasn't my best effort, just something I threw together because I didn't take it seriously..." He's been using that from the beginning and needs to stop.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

4) he doesn't, and at the same time destroys any hope that he might've just skimmed the prompt post and missed the rule. I may be reading too deeply into this, but I can't help see the cocked hat smiley as Benny's "teheehee puppetmaster im so clever they'll never catch me" moment.

I am sure that is exactly what that stupid smiley meant and for god's sake Benny you are a terrible liar are you aware how dumb doing things like that makes you look?

Worth it though for the cart slam. drat Benny. Right there is an example of good writing. Maybe instead of pissing everyone in the writing forum off you could try and learn from them?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

vxskud posted:

The wrestler Raven used to bring a shopping cart to the ring during his entrance.

He also used it as a weapon

Benny you know what you must do.

Are you suggesting he submits The Raven as his piece, and claims Poe must have copied him?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Yo maybe his degree is actually in psychology and he's just been playing us the whole time.

His brother is the control group and Benny is the placebo group. Does technically nothing but tricks himself into thinking he's passing as a normal human.

Experiment is contaminated because somebody spit in the gene pool.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?

Starter Wiggin posted:

Benny, did you see the like 12 love ballads to you in the dome this week?
It was kind of precious. Maybe this spoonful bullshit has softened me to Benny for a moment, because for all Benny's faults, I'm pretty sure he's not going to murder a stranger in their sleep for not drawing him a picture.

Yeah, all my goodwill towards you spawned from ole gokupants has now dissipated. Thanks Benny.
Please tell me, did Benny try to send thank you cards to sebmojo and Fanky and whoever else?

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
My bet is that Benny is just stupid and unobservant (as has been demonstrated numerous times), and didn't understand what the rules meant in the first place nor the attempt to reinforce them. Like, maybe he thinks "no help allowed" means "don't ask somebody else to come up with a story and try to pass it off as your own" or "don't ask somebody else to type up your story for you."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The rule was, specifically:

quote:

For this round an additional rule is in effect: Do not ask anyone who has posted in this thread to look at your story before you submit. You must stand or fall alone.

Even Benny couldn't misinterpret...even Benny probably couldn't...

Never mind.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I forgot to mention that Benny broke the rules before he had even officially entered.

Benny lost a game he was not even playing.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Benny is rapidly losing any shot at sympathy. He had potentially infinite access to sympathy, too- poo poo family situation, poo poo economy, poo poo town. But now he's revealed that all along he's been a big, dumb baby, too stupid to listen to the one group of people who can help him.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Benny you are the dumbest motherfucker alive, which is why I think you should leave home and live on the streets, giving blowjobs and snorting rat poison up your sinuses. You will either harden up or die, and either of those things is better than the bland, blobby, purposeless existence you lead now. You are too squishy in both body and mind to even be a cog in the machine, Benny. Think about that.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

New Weave Wendy posted:

My bet is that Benny is just stupid and unobservant (as has been demonstrated numerous times), and didn't understand what the rules meant in the first place nor the attempt to reinforce them. Like, maybe he thinks "no help allowed" means "don't ask somebody else to come up with a story and try to pass it off as your own" or "don't ask somebody else to type up your story for you."

Benny is INCREDIBLY stupid. It probably won't be that he misunderstood the rules, but that he thought he found a loophole or something and was hoping no one else did. I think that's how his dumbass brain works, anyway.

I feel stupid typing that out.

Edit: Serious question. Benny entering the thunderdome was great for this thread, but is it doing Benny any good?

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 14, 2014

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
I feel like it's interesting (probably armchair-psych level) insight into how Benny works, because I don't think he's actually that stupid. He obviously knows the rule is there, he knows that breaking it is a terrible idea, and yet there's such a fundamental disconnect between his thought processes and his decision-making processes that he goes and does it anyways, like he's still a prepubescent child that hasn't quite got the hang of that bit of life where you acknowledge the probable consequences of your actions before you make a decision about what action to take.

Or, you know, he's just incredibly stupid.

Aqua Bear posted:

Edit: Serious question. Benny entering the thunderdome was great for this thread, but is it doing Benny any good?

Well, it's the most dedicated he's been to a thing since he called in hungover to work, so take that as you will.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Ursine Asylum posted:

I feel like it's interesting (probably armchair-psych level) insight into how Benny works, because I don't think he's actually that stupid. He obviously knows the rule is there, he knows that breaking it is a terrible idea, and yet there's such a fundamental disconnect between his thought processes and his decision-making processes that he goes and does it anyways, like he's still a prepubescent child that hasn't quite got the hang of that bit of life where you acknowledge the probable consequences of your actions before you make a decision about what action to take.

I had thought that either therapy or medication or both would help Benny improve his executive function, but not so far.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Aqua Bear posted:

Benny is INCREDIBLY stupid. It probably won't be that he misunderstood the rules, but that he thought he found a loophole or something and was hoping no one else did. I think that's how his dumbass brain works, anyway.

I feel stupid typing that out.

Well, you see, he asked for feedback before he entered, so the rules didn't apply to him when he was shopping his story around. Or something.

And no, spending time writing terrible "stories" rather then applying for jobs or volunteering or donating blood or reading Cliff's Notes summaries of Dante's Inferno is probably not doing Benny any good. Normal people could probably juggle all of these (and a full-time job, and a social life). Benny is not a normal person.

Ninja edit: Not that I want the entertainment to stop! :v:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

I had thought that either therapy or medication or both would help Benny improve his executive function, but not so far.

I've said this before, but he'd be great in politics. Making choices, no consideration for consequences, lying, blaming others. It's almost as if he fits the exact mold for politician.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

That's two times in a row that Benny has broken the rules, both in really dumb and obvious ways.

How did he break the rules previously? I missed that. (Or is that where he failed to acknowledge his story because he lost?)

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

DopeGhoti posted:

And no, spending time writing terrible "stories" rather then applying for jobs or volunteering or donating blood or reading Cliff's Notes summaries of Dante's Inferno is probably not doing Benny any good. Normal people could probably juggle all of these (and a full-time job, and a social life). Benny is not a normal person.

Ninja edit: Not that I want the entertainment to stop! :v:

I'm surprised that Benny is still entering the thunderdome. Like someone above you said, it's the most effort he's ever put into anything. But I don't want it to stop, either.

I've said this before, but he'd be great in politics. Making choices, no consideration for consequences, lying, blaming others. It's almost as if he fits the exact mold for politician.

This is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

The trick is that you can't poo poo on your coworkers or they throw you under a bus, and Benny's shown himself incapable of that as well.

spacing in vienna posted:

How did he break the rules previously? I missed that. (Or is that where he failed to acknowledge his story because he lost?)

Yeah, the rules were that after your story has been judged and deemed wanting, you still have to own up to it.

• Locked thread