Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

STAC Goat posted:

Dear God, the Brains tribe is terrible. J'tia is obviously the worst of the bunch but she's completely distracting everyone from how bad the lot of them are. I was all prepared to give Spencer a pass since he carried them in that challenge but his Council performance didn't exactly convince me this is a guy with Survivor game. He got lucky Tash and Kass went the way they did because he sure wasn't making too strong a case.

If I was in Spencer's shoes I would have probably have behaved in the same way that council. Like, I would just be completely bewildered I would need to even make a case.

I thought I was going to dislike Spencer before this season started but now I am really cheering for Spencer vs the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

mr.capps posted:

If I was in Spencer's shoes I would have probably have behaved in the same way that council. Like, I would just be completely bewildered I would need to even make a case.

I was saying this to the WIFU. Point to J'Tia, then say "She's useless. What else do you want me to say?"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The TV IV › Survivor Cagayan: Spencer vs The World

Can a mod please action this asap?

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Piell posted:

J'Tia was obviously terrible, but I really think Tasha is almost as bad in terms of making terrible decisions. The flag didn't need to be placed perfectly, it just needed to be on the mat and for everyone to pull at the same time. The other teams had the callers call when to pull, Brains didn't. And the waffling between who to kick out, when J'tia should have been gone two episodes ago (not only is she the anchor in challenges, she dumped out the rice for gently caress's sake!), it's clear she is not a good player.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Jeff's questioning of Spencer made me think that if Spencer had been eliminated, he would have been a lock for being a returnee in a future season.

But really, I'm hoping that this season makes the producers realise we don't need returnees. I'm honestly fine with 4/5 seasons of new players, then maybe a season of all-stars. Having most seasons have members (or tribes) that are returnees is dumb.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Shakugan posted:

Jeff's questioning of Spencer made me think that if Spencer had been eliminated, he would have been a lock for being a returnee in a future season.

But really, I'm hoping that this season makes the producers realise we don't need returnees. I'm honestly fine with 4/5 seasons of new players, then maybe a season of all-stars. Having most seasons have members (or tribes) that are returnees is dumb.

I'm ok with Spencer coming back. I feel so bad for him :(

This was a masterfully edited episode, I really liked it. You really didn't know what was going to happen.

edit: I was expecting to hate Spencer too, but he turned out to be a cool guy.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I just don't understand why the two girls thought J'Tia would be loyal at any point.

She threw their rice into the fire. That's...not very loyal.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

I still can't believe how everyone managed to rationalize that, J'Tia included

Kass: she's an unstable 5 year old. oh well, ok by me!

J'Tia: funny that i'm still here since everyone, myself included, knows i'm an unstable 5 year old V:downs:V

Tasha: hmm, yes she is batshit crazy… but have you thought of voting out our *best* player instead :raise:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

CODChimera posted:

I just don't understand why the two girls thought J'Tia would be loyal at any point.

She threw their rice into the fire. That's...not very loyal.
I think she was very grateful they kept her and would have been loyal as long as she lasted. Whether she'd be reliable is a different question. Also, as Fish said, she would not have been good to bring into a merge situation, probably, because everyone knows how she sucks at challenges, and hearing the story about dumping the rice, everyone would know she was a perfect goat, and therefore if they had to vote someone out from the Brains tribe, they'd keep J'Tia and vote out one of Tasha or Kass. By keeping Spencer alive, Tasha and Kass have kind of a shield as he'd be seen as more of a threat. That is, if he doesn't just flip... But they're all three going to need to latch on elsewhere anyway...

Also, if they first merge into two tribes, the above stuff might not be true anymore. If there's still tribal competitions, people might want to keep Spencer and boot J'Tia for challenge purposes.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 13, 2014

Bahumaut
Apr 6, 2009
Honestly I'm just sad that we won't get a chance to have our first survivor who got to dump out the rice from two different tribes in one season. I think J'Tia might have actually gone far in this game if she had made a merge because no one in the entire game would ever vote for her getting the million, and if you had to make it to the end with her being your anchor, would just show how much you deserved the million.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Bahumaut posted:

Honestly I'm just sad that we won't get a chance to have our first survivor who got to dump out the rice from two different tribes in one season. I think J'Tia might have actually gone far in this game if she had made a merge because no one in the entire game would ever vote for her getting the million, and if you had to make it to the end with her being your anchor, would just show how much you deserved the million.

If you made it to the end with J'Tia you'd deserve ten million.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

I think she was very grateful they kept her and would have been loyal as long as she lasted.

As demonstrated by the rice incident, she's very unstable emotionally and prone to rash acts. Sure she says she's grateful and loyal, but what if she has another emotional episode and decides that maybe voting you off is as good as burning rice?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Piell posted:

Edit: I don't understand why people go on Survivor without knowing how to swim, there's always a bunch of challenges that involve swimming.

It seems like practicing doing something underwater is a critical component of being good at Survivor water challenges on top of swimming. There have been a number of instances, including J'Tia and Kass in this last episode, where people are able to swim and dive but get completely lost when they have to perform the underwater task. It's a pretty simple two-part task in most challenges, orient to an object and then perform a simple manipulation. With the editing it's hard to tell exactly where people are getting stuck, either with the depth, locating the object, or just releasing it, but it's a fairly common issue even with OK swimmers.

You could probably fix this with an afternoon in a pool and some toys.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I was really impressed by Woo and Spencer going down for consecutive buoys waaaay deep (possibly somebody on the beauties too). I don't think I'd have a problem doing the deep ones but not twice in a row.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

CODChimera posted:

If you made it to the end with J'Tia you'd deserve ten million.

Actually, I'd argue that if J'Tia made it to the end, she'd deserve it.

LeJackal posted:

As demonstrated by the rice incident, she's very unstable emotionally and prone to rash acts. Sure she says she's grateful and loyal, but what if she has another emotional episode and decides that maybe voting you off is as good as burning rice?

At least it was just the rice.

Sorry SleepingBuddha.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'm pretty sure Woo was pissed and didn't want to throw the challenge so that's why he stayed out. He seemed fine bailing on Cliff, but only when the situation naturally came up.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I'd pay good money to have footage of the members of the Brains tribe sitting at home watching last night's episode and finding out they couldn't beat a tribe actively trying to lose

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Well, technically it was Spencer by himself who couldn't beat the entire Brawn team, some of who were trying to lose.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

We have a consensus, right? That J'Tia is literally the worst survivor to have ever played the game? There have been some awful players in the past, but they generally get the boot really quickly. This season J'Tia somehow managed to survive for more than one episode and so had more opportunity to demonstrate her awfulness than anyone ever before.

* Started out super bossy.
* Had a plan for a shelter that didn't work.
* Has almost single-handedly been the cause for her team losing in every challenge she participated in.
* Burned all the rice and generally showed herself to be completely unstable.

Surely she must be the worst ever. Never before have we seen the perfect storm of actively harmful in challenges (like, she was literally worse than useless; the brain tribe would have done better in every challenge if she hadn't been there and were competing with a small team), completely useless when doing chores around camp, crazy enough to dump all the rice, unaware enough to be bossy right from the get go etc.

Absolutely amazing.

It's also pretty amazing how the casting obviously went for two cop stereotypes. We've got the Vic Mackey type who doesn't care about the rules and seems ok with bashing in a few heads, then we have the absolute cop loyalty stereotype. Like, Sarah is interesting in how much she seems to have bought into the cop "cult" (for lack of a better term). She can't even conceive of the idea that the guy who lied to her for ages about being a cop could be lying to her about other things. Nope, he's a cop and cops ALWAYS stick together LALALALALALALALALALA can't hear your counterarguments.

Being a cop is obviously a really important part of her self-image. Unfortunately she doesn't seem able to recognise that other cops may not view their cop status in the same way, and it's going to sink her. Or forunately, depending on perspective. It's pretty hilarious how she is being manipulated.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 13, 2014

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

I just realized that given Probst past behavior, J'Tia is probably a lock for returning player

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Toaster Ding posted:

I just realized that given Probst past behavior, J'Tia is probably a lock for returning player
Ugh, you're just trying to ruin the moment.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm watching this the day after on demand, so I figured I'd read along with the thread and comment.

ColonelCurmudgeon posted:

She specializes in meltdowns.

Fan-loving-tastic. :laffo:

Seriously, J'Tia might just be worse than Crystal.

Robnoxious posted:

Chickens: How the gently caress does that work?

Hahaha, that was some of the most amazing and dumbest chat I've listened to in a while.

Also, Tony saying "I trust Woo, but I don't trust him" when talking to Sarah was hilarious.

Holy poo poo, I can't believe J'Tia sucks that loving much. She couldn't even get a ball untied just 3 feet under the water. But I have to give some props to Spencer for almost single-handedly pulling off second place for Brains. I really hope they don't vote him off.

Un-loving-believable. Tasha is just as terrible as J'Tia. Why worry who is loyal because the first tribal J'Tia goes after a tribal mix up is going to get her booted because she is so loving bad at challenges and it hurts the team. I don't think they are going to go straight to the merge, so there are going to a least a few more team challenges.

Also, it's terrible that they are saying that Spencer is unloyal when all he really wanted to do was get rid of a terrible loving player. How is that being unloyal? He has never said he was against Tasha or Kass or anyone else who was on the Brains tribe except for J'Tia and that is because she is loving terrible.

Thank loving Christ, they didn't keep J'Tia. I honestly don't know if I could have kept watching if they kept her.

edit -

sleepingbuddha posted:

Illinois, at the Argonne National Laboratory, literally 7 miles from my house.

I am 2 miles away from it.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 13, 2014

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't understand how people are simultaneously saying "how could they even consider keeping J'Tia" and "I hope Spencer flips as soon as he can!!", because it doesn't seem like a very difficult connection to make.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm pretty sure Woo was pissed and didn't want to throw the challenge so that's why he stayed out. He seemed fine bailing on Cliff, but only when the situation naturally came up.

Yeah, as much as I want Woo and Cliff to stick together and go far, I was impressed that Woo went along with the idea (getting rid of Cliff) because he felt agreeing with Sarah was the best thing for him. It clearly wasn't something he wanted to do.

Woo was just saying what he needed to in order to convince Sarah he was on her side/with her. It was smart of him to act like she was only saying what he'd already been thinking.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Woo was obviously playing to the majority and said as much but he also clearly had no reservations at all about cutting Cliff's throat. And I think people are just projecting what they want to on him as far as throwing the challenge. Maybe he loved the idea, maybe he didn't, but he went along with it and it sure seemed to be working. Sarah wasn't exactly giddy about throwing it either. If I remember correctly Brawn got all their balls last and they couldn't never get them. What saved Brawn was that Cliff wasn't throwing it and had the obvious advantage in that last part of the challenge where he blew Spencer away.

xbilkis posted:

I don't understand how people are simultaneously saying "how could they even consider keeping J'Tia" and "I hope Spencer flips as soon as he can!!", because it doesn't seem like a very difficult connection to make.

Yeah, I feel like I'm verging on J'tia/Brains white knighting but I'm really not. J'tia is terrible and the Brains are terrible. But the logic there seemed pretty obvious in the same way that it seemed obvious why Tasha wanted to keep J'tia over Garrett. It's just people not being able to see the game from their perspective, and probably a good bit of people really pulling hard for the nerd.

Slightly related I just listened to the Garrett interview on RHAP and I don't understand at all why anyone would be impressed by him there. He sounded like the same full of himself, controlling tool he appeared to be on the show. His whole spiel was about how he really had totally control of Kass and no one knew he was with Spencer and no one was upset about the tribe meeting and he didn't REALLY say anything bad in Counical and you can't REALLY blame him for not bringing the idol to Council. It was just all arrogant excuses and rationalizing.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I feel like I'm verging on J'tia/Brains white knighting but I'm really not. J'tia is terrible and the Brains are terrible. But the logic there seemed pretty obvious in the same way that it seemed obvious why Tasha wanted to keep J'tia over Garrett. It's just people not being able to see the game from their perspective, and probably a good bit of people really pulling hard for the nerd.

The problem is that those people made horrible decisions and no amount of post-decision rationalization will magically make them anything but ill-considered spur of the moment choices.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Shakugan posted:

We have a consensus, right? That J'Tia is literally the worst survivor to have ever played the game? There have been some awful players in the past, but they generally get the boot really quickly. This season J'Tia somehow managed to survive for more than one episode and so had more opportunity to demonstrate her awfulness than anyone ever before.

* Has almost single-handedly been the cause for her team losing in every challenge she participated in.

Surely she must be the worst ever. Never before have we seen the perfect storm of actively harmful in challenges (like, she was literally worse than useless; the brain tribe would have done better in every challenge if she hadn't been there and were competing with a small team), completely useless when doing chores around camp, crazy enough to dump all the rice, unaware enough to be bossy right from the get go etc.

Absolutely amazing.

The biggest reason j'tia is the worst is because she got the room to be from the rest of the tribe. Many other tribes would've kicked her out waaaayyyyy sooner.

Makes for a great season though. Can't wait for the post-merge insanity.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

STAC Goat posted:

Slightly related I just listened to the Garrett interview on RHAP and I don't understand at all why anyone would be impressed by him there. He sounded like the same full of himself, controlling tool he appeared to be on the show. His whole spiel was about how he really had totally control of Kass and no one knew he was with Spencer and no one was upset about the tribe meeting and he didn't REALLY say anything bad in Counical and you can't REALLY blame him for not bringing the idol to Council. It was just all arrogant excuses and rationalizing.

Wasn't this idol supposed to be a super-idol where you can play it after the votes are read or something dumb like that? Why in the hell wouldn't you ever NOT bring the idol to council anyways...

This episode had me in tears. :D Brawns valiantly trying to throw and J'tia being an unstoppable juggernaut of failure.

edit: my wife says J'tia is her favorite because not she could theoretically go on survivor secure in the knowledge that no matter how badly she performs she won't be the worst ever.

Bright Future fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 14, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

TheChad posted:

Wasn't this idol supposed to be a super-idol where you can play it after the votes are read or something dumb like that? Why in the hell wouldn't you ever NOT bring the idol to council anyways...

I don't know. One guy on here said it and called it a tyler perry idol. I didn't buy it for a second.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Super Hidden immunity idol comes into play later, I think. The idols that Tony et al. have are just the usual HI.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

blue squares posted:

I don't know. One guy on here said it and called it a tyler perry idol. I didn't buy it for a second.

Well it's true if you head to cbs and watch the preview of this season about 02:20 min long with jeff talking he brings up the talk about this tyler perry idol.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Shakugan posted:

Absolutely amazing.

It's also pretty amazing how the casting obviously went for two cop stereotypes. We've got the Vic Mackey type who doesn't care about the rules and seems ok with bashing in a few heads, then we have the absolute cop loyalty stereotype. Like, Sarah is interesting in how much she seems to have bought into the cop "cult" (for lack of a better term). She can't even conceive of the idea that the guy who lied to her for ages about being a cop could be lying to her about other things. Nope, he's a cop and cops ALWAYS stick together LALALALALALALALALALA can't hear your counterarguments.

Being a cop is obviously a really important part of her self-image. Unfortunately she doesn't seem able to recognise that other cops may not view their cop status in the same way, and it's going to sink her. Or forunately, depending on perspective. It's pretty hilarious how she is being manipulated.

It depends how you define worst. She's still spent more time in the game than Fransasquatch did across two seasons.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
As a viewer I'm thrilled to see J'Tia go. Spencer did a nice job of advocating for himself as much as he possibly could without overplaying his hand. It would have been very easy to go into that tribal and try to bulldoze Kass and Tasha, which would have ended badly. He laid out the obvious case, reminded them of the rice incident, her challenge performances, and didn't get in the way of them making the decision he wanted. It was an impressive display of restraint from a guy pre-season I was concerned would overplay the hell out of the game. For a young guy Spencer is showing remarkable maturity in his game.

For Kass and Tasha though, it was flat out the wrong play in that spot. There's no chance they're going into a merge with numbers at this point and a tribe shuffle is extremely likely. They can take out an extremely dangerous player all but guarenteed to flip on them the moment they merge. J'Tia isn't any sort of a meaningful threat, and worst case if there is no merge/shuffle they vote her off next. The only way it's the right choice to keep Spencer is if they go two more eliminations without any sort of shuffle or swap, and they don't bullshit their way into an accidental victory. Even in that unlikely scenario it only pays off if Spencer is the difference between immunity and tribal council in the next challenge.

Another pretty fun episode. If this tribe does end up being the death of Spencer I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him back. He's on pace to be another one of those players I'll always wonder what their game would be like if they got a better start.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
This season is great so far. LJ, Spencer, and Kass seem like the most savvy players. I was rooting for Sarah at first, but she's losing me fast. Woo is pretty likable, but I'm having a hard time gauging where his head is at. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Brawn tribe after the likely merge, and goddamn, LT was right...Morgan is freakin hot. Jeez.

I agree with the sentiment that it probably wasn't very smart of Kass and Tasha to keep Spencer around over J'Tia, considering the likelihood of the upcoming merge. However, I'm just trying to put myself in their shoes, and it would be extremely hard for me to justify keeping around somebody who has been just awful in every facet of the game over somebody who is clearly busting his rear end day after day. Of course you want to keep emotion out of your decision-making as much as possible, but you can only string along a goat for so long before that voice of human decency inside your head goes "you know, this person really has no business playing this game right now".

Recursive posted:

It is really hilariously ironic that if they'd just booted Jtia first, and kept Garret, they could have won some challenges rather than setting records for futility.

Garrett completely dug his own grave though. He made it so hard for them to keep him around. Whatever J'Tia brought to the table in terms of challenge ineptitude and insanity, Garrett overshadowed with his complete and utter lack of Survivor social skills. He totally poo poo the bed, and wasn't deserving at all of success in the game.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Vernacular posted:

This season is great so far. LJ, Spencer, and Kass seem like the most savvy players.

Kass isn't remotely close to being savvy. She told J'Tia to her face in the first episode that she was the one going home, which caused her to scramble. Never telling someone they are going home (especially when they are as insane as J'Tia) is Survivor 101. Likewise, choosing to get rid of Garrett was super dumb. He certainly did some dumb things, but... J'Tia. He also should have been kept in order to win challenges.

Spencer is the only player on the brain tribe that knows what he's doing.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I wouldn't necessarily call Kass a savvy player at this point, but I almost think she's just making moves to see what happens. She has this weird way of carrying herself where telling J'Tia about the vote, agreeing to the alliance with Garrett/Spencer, swinging against Garrett, and being down to save J'Tia again last round all felt like moves where the logic behind it was 'might as well, I guess?'

If she slips through to the merge, I could see the 'might as well be down for whatever' strategy paying off with a bunch of chaotic players who have more important targets.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think she's particularly savvy but I don't think she's particularly dumb either. She just has absolutely no power or ability to influence votes so she's swaying in the wind towards whatever direction seems to best get her one step farther. She got left on a limb when David got voted out so when the guys said "J'tia" she went with it. Then Garrett threw her under the bus and made her question her place as the third wheel and Tasha basically offered her a lateral move with only J'tia in her way so she went with it. Then she and Tasha realized Spencer is a cruddy ally so weighed the merits of gambling on keeping J'tia again. It all makes sense considering she's on a sinking ship trying to find the last life boat. It's the sort of play you usually see post merge from that goat who hangs on until final four simply because they have no loyalty or backbone. But she's shown no ability to grab the rudder and try to steer things some way.

Say what you will about Tasha, she's actually moved this tribe once or twice. I get the impression if she had decided to vote Spencer last night Kass would have gone along with it. Kass tried to paint that as Tasha being flaky but that's pretty rich considering she's just been following along. Still, Tash is going to play her way out of the game if she doesn't pull off a miracle and forge a post merge alliance. Kass could easily last deep in this game because she poses no threat and has shown a willingness to go any way gets her one move farther.

Kass and Spencer seem to be getting credit because they're very vocal about how inept the Brains tribe is. But that's not hard to see and neither has done anything since Day 1 to change the game. Someone said it last week but the Brains problem is simple and cliche (David also said it in his post eviction interview). Everyone on the Brains tribe thinks they're the smartest one in the group and everyone else is the problem. One of the is right about the "smart" thing but they're all the problem.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 14, 2014

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

STAC Goat posted:

Woo was obviously playing to the majority and said as much but he also clearly had no reservations at all about cutting Cliff's throat. And I think people are just projecting what they want to on him as far as throwing the challenge. Maybe he loved the idea, maybe he didn't, but he went along with it and it sure seemed to be working. Sarah wasn't exactly giddy about throwing it either. If I remember correctly Brawn got all their balls last and they couldn't never get them. What saved Brawn was that Cliff wasn't throwing it and had the obvious advantage in that last part of the challenge where he blew Spencer away.

WOO ‏@YungWoo23 11h
Not everyone was trying to throw that challenge ;) 6 Brawn Strong!

I think Woo played it as well as he could have. He told Sarah what she wanted to hear, but did his best in the challenge to ensure that Brawn didn't go to tribal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, I'd be saying the same thing if I was him even if I was half assing it. But its week 3. Woo will show what kind of player he is as we go deeper in the game.

Besides, if it was just Sarah and one other throwing it that basically means Woo and Cliff nearly got beat by Spencer solo. That's not something to be proud of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think she's particularly savvy but I don't think she's particularly dumb either. She just has absolutely no power or ability to influence votes so she's swaying in the wind towards whatever direction seems to best get her one step farther. She got left on a limb when David got voted out so when the guys said "J'tia" she went with it. Then Garrett threw her under the bus and made her question her place as the third wheel and Tasha basically offered her a lateral move with only J'tia in her way so she went with it. Then she and Tasha realized Spencer is a cruddy ally so weighed the merits of gambling on keeping J'tia again. It all makes sense considering she's on a sinking ship trying to find the last life boat. It's the sort of play you usually see post merge from that goat who hangs on until final four simply because they have no loyalty or backbone. But she's shown no ability to grab the rudder and try to steer things some way.

Say what you will about Tasha, she's actually moved this tribe once or twice. I get the impression if she had decided to vote Spencer last night Kass would have gone along with it. Kass tried to paint that as Tasha being flaky but that's pretty rich considering she's just been following along. Still, Tash is going to play her way out of the game if she doesn't pull off a miracle and forge a post merge alliance. Kass could easily last deep in this game because she poses no threat and has shown a willingness to go any way gets her one move farther.

Kass and Spencer seem to be getting credit because they're very vocal about how inept the Brains tribe is. But that's not hard to see and neither has done anything since Day 1 to change the game. Someone said it last week but the Brains problem is simple and cliche (David also said it in his post eviction interview). Everyone on the Brains tribe thinks they're the smartest one in the group and everyone else is the problem. One of the is right about the "smart" thing but they're all the problem.

Spencer is getting credit because he's entertaining and also seems to be a decent player. I know you don't like players who are sarcastic or smug, but I think there's a difference between those things and just simple self-awareness. There's nothing wrong with lamenting how much your tribe sucks when you suck as much as they do. Besides, I'm not sure what sort of big moves you are expecting anyone on Brains to make at this point, especially since things you could arguably call moves so far have only resulted in disaster. Spencer's biggest move has been proving himself to be decent in challenges so if that's kept him around then he's at least more worthy of being there than J'Tia.

I see the logic in Kass and Tasha possibly keeping J'tia, but that move makes the most sense under the logic that J'tia would be completely loyal and Spencer would flip at a moment's notice. Neither of these things are a sure bet. If J'tia had only been mediocre in challenges (but still their reason for losing) and the rice thing hadn't been in the equation, I could see learning toward keeping her. She'd still be in Kass and Tasha's debt for not being voted out but she wouldn't seem like such an unpredictable liability. As it stands, she pretty much only has herself to blame for being gone at this point. I'm sure Tasha and Kass looked for every reason to try and keep her.

Spencer seems like a cool guy and I want him to go far. I don't think he's the best player ever but I'd like to see him play on a tribe that isn't total bullshit.

Unrelated, I'm not sure there has been enough mention about just how dumb the Brawn tribe is for even trying to throw a challenge right now. It's being eclipsed by just how bad Brains is, but it's still a monumentally stupid decision, especially when you're in a 3-tribe situation and you really don't have many numbers to work with.

Has throwing a challenge ever worked out in a tribe's favor?

• Locked thread