Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Number_6 posted:

I don't know if this is a serious post, but there have been crashes into the ocean with at least a fair number of survivors. Here's one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Airlines_Flight_961

Wiki says that was the only time it ever happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Wandle Cax posted:

Wiki says that was the only time it ever happened

Wiki says for widebodies, not all aircraft types.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

K. Farb posted:

What would calm waters do to the string?

Soothe and relax it.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
i see

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Psssh...And you guys thought I had a crazy theory.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Ka0 posted:

A reminder that the air france 447 investigation took over 2 years to find the flight recorders (and over a hundred missing passengers still strapped to their seats) about 14000 feet deep in the atlantic ridge.

This has been touched upon a bit in the last few pages, but does anyone know what the exact method of death is upon impact? Like, when a plane smashes into the ocean or ground at like 400 mph does your brain and internal organs just splatter across the front of your skull and ribcage or what?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Vernii posted:

This has been touched upon a bit in the last few pages, but does anyone know what the exact method of death is upon impact? Like, when a plane smashes into the ocean or ground at like 400 mph does your brain and internal organs just splatter across the front of your skull and ribcage or what?

Massive trauma because the water surface might as well be concrete at that speed. You might have already died if decompression was the cause, and I guess if you the fall somehow you'd most likely drown.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Vernii posted:

If you look up the early air crash investigations from the BOAC Comet accidents in the 1950's, massive head and chest trauma from people being thrown into overhead lockers, bulkheads and seats was a big factor. One of the accidents was in the Mediterranean, and an Italian pathologist who conducted the autopsies of some of the victims of the crash noted that the injuries were remarkably similar to the trauma suffered in serious car accidents. It took a re-enactment for the investigators to work out how the gently caress it all transpired in the actual aircraft cabin.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

This means something. This is important.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

plane DOES NOT take off

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

plane DOES NOT take off

Of course not. Those wheels are loving gigantic (and not even connected) and the aerodynamics of the jet are completely wrong.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Road_Warrior posted:

If you look up the early air crash investigations from the BOAC Comet accidents in the 1950's, massive head and chest trauma from people being thrown into overhead lockers, bulkheads and seats was a big factor. One of the accidents was in the Mediterranean, and an Italian pathologist who conducted the autopsies of some of the victims of the crash noted that the injuries were remarkably similar to the trauma suffered in serious car accidents. It took a re-enactment for the investigators to work out how the gently caress it all transpired in the actual aircraft cabin.

So basically shattered ribcages/spines/skulls, ripped up organs and such? I figured as much, but the article about passengers in AF447 being found in their crash positions made me wonder just how extensive the trauma was. I always figured that in that type of accident the physical trauma is so severe that you clean victims up with basically trash bags and shovels, so I was a little surprised to read about presumably (mostly) intact bodies in a jetliner crash.

Also as far as air accidents go, Saudi Flight 163 is a pretty poo poo way to die.

It's not the only incident of that type either, Saudi Arabia apparently has bad luck with jetliners catching fire and killing everyone on board over their territory.

quote:

Fuel, "probably introduced as a result of 'burn through' of the centre fuel tank",[1] intensified the fire, which eventually consumed the cabin floor. People began falling out of the airplane when their seat harnesses burned through.

:stare:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Did they ever disclose where Bin Laden was buried? Maybe the Illuminati in the military somehow managed to drop him in a deep crevice, the place where the old ones slumber. Imbued with dark energy, he came back to life, only to shoot down planes with his evil gaze, and confuse malaysian officials with his jedi mind tricks. The next chapter in international supernatural terrorism has just begun.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vernii posted:

It's not the only incident of that type either, Saudi Arabia apparently has bad luck with jetliners catching fire and killing everyone on board over their territory.

it was being wet-leased to Nigeria Airways, which in turn sub-leased it to another company to transport Nigerian pilgrims to and from Mecca.[3]

Atleast noone of value died.

Samuelthebold
Jul 9, 2007
Astra Superstar
It's not a water landing, but if anyone is looking for something to haunt their dreams for a while, there are a bunch of photos of the JAL 123 crash that you can find with a simple google search.

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014

Vernii posted:

So basically shattered ribcages/spines/skulls, ripped up organs and such? I figured as much, but the article about passengers in AF447 being found in their crash positions made me wonder just how extensive the trauma was. I always figured that in that type of accident the physical trauma is so severe that you clean victims up with basically trash bags and shovels, so I was a little surprised to read about presumably (mostly) intact bodies in a jetliner crash.

Also as far as air accidents go, Saudi Flight 163 is a pretty poo poo way to die.

I didn't know that the passengers were more or less aware of the situation and are "prepared" to brace for impact. I thought it was simply a total anarchy in the cabin and in the whole plane as the pilots had not idea what the hell was going on and didn't quite expect that they were about to crash until the last words of the captain.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
It looks like the data reporting system and the transponder were shutdown about 13 minutes apart from each other, possibly indicating they weren't taken out by the same system failure and may have been shut down manually.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/malaysia-airliner-pinging-indication-crashed-indian-ocean/story?id=22894802

It also appears to have been following a regular navigation route indicating that somebody who knows what they're doing was in control of the flight after contact was lost

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/14/us-malaysiaairlines-flight-idUSBREA2701720140314

Maybe this Tom Clancy bullshit will pan out after all

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
There are no air bags in planes. All these lives could have been saved.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Isn't there some major military base on the Nicobars? Forgot if it was US or russian.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

midnightclimax posted:

Isn't there some major military base on the Nicobars? Forgot if it was US or russian.

Looks like it took a zigzag out there post transciever shutdown. What the gently caress.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
almost... like someone trying to fly without instruments after an electrical failure

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

midnightclimax posted:

Totally weren't paying attention during the blowjob, got lost and couldn't figure out where they were.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

almost... like someone trying to fly without instruments after an electrical failure
Jizz on the instruments made them unreliable.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
http://news.sky.com/story/1225731/missing-plane-flown-towards-andaman-islands

Summary:

Flown to secret base on Andaman Islands. No doubt being loaded up with nukes right now. Passengers probably held in some sort of rickety island prison, no doubt saving them for future bargaining tactics.

At least one of the passengers is likely to have "a set of unique skills" like Liam Neeson, and will probably escape and become the protagonist in this ongoing situation.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Isnt this near that island where those wankers live who come out and throw spears and poo poo at helicopters?

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Is it out of question that the plane would have had enough fuel to fly all the way to Pakistan or Afghanistan?
I can't really come out with any kind of remotely reasonable theory for landing the plane in the Andaman islands and then keeping it there for a week or whatever the gently caress.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
The more this goes on the more I hold out hope for my jizz on the controls after bejays theory.

That would be a hilarious black box recording.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

:lost:

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

without instruments after an electrical failure

lol

like are you picturing a completely dark cockpit after the plane goes through an alien EMP or maybe a cable on the single car battery springing loose

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Fallom posted:

lol

like are you picturing a completely dark cockpit after the plane goes through an alien EMP or maybe a cable on the single car battery springing loose

I just see everything covered with jizz.

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014

Road_Warrior posted:

Isnt this near that island where those wankers live who come out and throw spears and poo poo at helicopters?

Helicopters, not so sure about it, but yeah, some of the tribes over there are not very warm and they are known to kill approaching foreigners, whether it is accidental or not. Thus, we know nothing about few of their languages, such as the Sentinelese language. And until today we still can't contact them as we have no idea what are they saying, even through the other people of the islands.

Edit: you're right, the Sentineleses did shoot arrows at helicopters that came to retrieve the bodies of killed fishermen and that was only a few years ago.
I guess that whatever happened flight 350 was one of their shenanigans. :derp:

Knight Corgi fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 14, 2014

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Bolivar posted:

Is it out of question that the plane would have had enough fuel to fly all the way to Pakistan or Afghanistan?
I can't really come out with any kind of remotely reasonable theory for landing the plane in the Andaman islands and then keeping it there for a week or whatever the gently caress.

The only other explanation is that whoever was in control, found a way to disable ACARS reporting and the plane carried on from the area of the last known 'ping' from the system.

MAL stated to the New Straits Times that the plane had enough fuel on board to last "until 8:30" that morning (local time):

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-color-red-missing-mh370-font-mas-refutes-claims-aircraft-ran-out-of-fuel-1.502461

So if that is correct, it could have strayed much farther than the 2,200nm figure being bandied around by the press.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Press doesn't know poo poo.

I want to see this turned into a made for tv movie mini series.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hey I haven't read the thread, so has there been a long and involved :lost: roleplay yet?

If not, I call Sayid.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

redshirt posted:

Hey I haven't read the thread, so has there been a long and involved :lost: roleplay yet?

If not, I call Sayid.

Just jizz roleplay.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Number_6 posted:

I don't know if this is a serious post, but there have been crashes into the ocean with at least a fair number of survivors. Here's one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Airlines_Flight_961

It also crashed in very shallow waters just off a beach full of tourists who ran to help victims

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

redshirt posted:

If not, I call Sayid.

Sorry but you have to be Hurly.

We all have to be Hurly.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
It's at the bottom of the ocean. If it had landed anywhere where there was enough land to do so, we'd have known about it.

Freaky as poo poo, though. My mind keeps wanting to say "terrorism", but someone would have taken responsibility for that by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Retail Slave posted:

It's at the bottom of the ocean. If it had landed anywhere where there was enough land to do so, we'd have known about it.

Freaky as poo poo, though. My mind keeps wanting to say "terrorism", but someone would have taken responsibility for that by now.

Maybe suicide by pilot.

• Locked thread