Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BattleCake posted:

Those last two panels are really something, especially the second to last one. Have we ever seen Jones in profile? I can't recall.

She doesn't have her hair pinned back in the present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Jones continuing on her proud tradition of not giving a gently caress.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

BattleCake posted:

Those last two panels are really something, especially the second to last one. Have we ever seen Jones in profile? I can't recall.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Jones' profile is kind of freaking me out. Is there any ethnicity that has that kind of face we can compare her to?

Her profile was shown once before here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1117, and she looks a little more "normal" on that page.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crimson Harvest posted:

Jones' profile is kind of freaking me out. Is there any ethnicity that has that kind of face we can compare her to?

Jones has a somewhat strange physical appearance in general. Blonde, but her skin is a bit darker than Mort or Annie's, for example; check out the panel where Mort is trying to pull her by the hand. I'm pretty sure she's not supposed to map to any ethnicity in particular.

Edit: Another profile shot, same chapter as above, here. And here.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 14, 2014

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Well, she has seen children dying couple of thousand times (and can remember each of them) and getting killed by a direct explosion is probably the least painful way to go. Blood and gore all over your body might be annoying though.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
She's as old as the Earth, I'm pretty sure she's seen at least like a million children die by now. Also she doesn't have emotions.

cafel posted:

Holy poo poo, Jones cover him up with your body or something! Man, I'm really bummed out now, which is stupid cause of course I knew he was going to die going into this.

Jone's isn't really big enough to protect this kid from a large bomb falling almost directly on top of him. She's not like a spherical object.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I know the feeling, Jones. Sometimes I like to walk in rain and snow too.

Now I want a bonus comic of Jones experiencing different munition through the ages.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 14, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

drat, Jones.

Just... drat.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I know the feeling, Jones. Sometimes I like to walk in rain and snow too.

Now I want a bonus comic of Jones experiencing with different munition through the ages.

Jones stoically ignores the rock being dropped on her head.
Jones lowers her gaze to note the arrow bounce off her sternum.
Jones calmly regards the musket ball as it flattens itself on her arm.
Jones leans forward in order to remain upright against a burst of gatling fire.
Jones standing dispassionately against a backdrop of an early atom bomb test.
Some dude in a hazmat suit tells Jones she needs to spend a decade sealed in cement until her personal radioactivity drops to a safe level.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Whelp, one dead kid coming up.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Wait, are her clothes indestructible too, as an extension of her, or are the first people out of the shelters gonna find a naked but otherwise unharmed lady hanging around? Not sure Mort's old enough for that, even in a state of dead.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MooCowlian posted:

Wait, are her clothes indestructible too, as an extension of her, or are the first people out of the shelters gonna find a naked but otherwise unharmed lady hanging around? Not sure Mort's old enough for that, even in a state of dead.

Her clothes are normal. She changes her clothes all the time even. So, yeah. She probably won't have much after the bomb hits her.

More than Mort will, though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Roland Jones posted:

Her clothes are normal. She changes her clothes all the time even. So, yeah. She probably won't have much after the bomb hits her.

More than Mort will, though.
Pretty sure she'll be wearing a thin layer of Mort.

Wyld Karde posted:

Some dude in a hazmat suit tells Jones she needs to spend a decade sealed in cement until her personal radioactivity drops to a safe level.
I was thinking this myself, but I'm fairly sure indestructible non-matter can't be rendered radioactive. She'd just need a good shower and a lung-scrub.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Splicer posted:

She'd just need a good shower and a lung-scrub.

She probably doesn't even HAVE lungs

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
Don't worry guys, the bomb's a dud, Jones isn't going get her kick today. Though still outwardly stoic, inside she's mildly disgruntled with German human engineering :smugjones:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Faraday Cage posted:

Don't worry guys, the bomb's a dud, Jones isn't going get her kick today. Though still outwardly stoic, inside she's mildly disgruntled with German human engineering :smugjones:

It will still kill Mort though, those things are heavy.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.
This page makes me wonder: Does Jones have the emotional capacity to be suicidal? At this point of her existence, she likely already knows the full extent of what can and cannot hurt her, but I can't shake the feeling that some part of her would be interested or "happy" as the case may be if she were to actually become injured by something designed by humans.

Or maybe she's just curious as to whether a German high-grade explosive tickles as much as a spearhead to the gut.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like how this page, which heartlessly confirms the impending death of a young child, made me just absolutely crack up when I read the author's note.

"Just wanna feel the might of their bombs is all" :shrug:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I imagine if she found out that there is something that can harm her, she would be loving terrified out of her skin.
Can't wait till she tests out if she can withstand the Coyote Tooth blade.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
drat you Jones! :argh:

Poor Mort, going to die trying to save a woman who doesn't need saving and who is also indifferent to your upcoming splat.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
Has Mort actually been here that long? Would he have gotten to safety if he hadn't stopped to chit-chat?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Mort Bomb Time

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RickoniX posted:

Has Mort actually been here that long? Would he have gotten to safety if he hadn't stopped to chit-chat?

Well, he basically ran in the wrong direction to reach Jones, so he'd be a fair distance in the other direction if he'd headed for the shelter. Not totally safe, but a decent chance.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Does the sound effect shift in panels 4-6 reflect the sound of the incoming bomb or just the siren itself changing its tone?
And drat. Last panel Jones looks as close to sympathetic as we've ever seen.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Drakyn posted:

Does the sound effect shift in panels 4-6 reflect the sound of the incoming bomb or just the siren itself changing its tone?
And drat. Last panel Jones looks as close to sympathetic as we've ever seen.

It's the sound of planes, I think.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
drat it Tom, that's not how buzz bombs looked, and that's not how they worked.

A buzz bomb retains its wings through its fall. Additionally, as long as you can hear the buzz bomb, you were safe. For Jones to be at ground zero, the sound would have had to have cut off in the middle of panel 6, otherwise the bomb would have flown over and landed somewhere else.

If this is supposed to be a conventional bomb, you wouldn't have heard the planes over the sirens, and you wouldn't have heard the bombs falling at all (the whistling sound is hollywood fantasy). A V2 'bomb' would have had neither sirens nor sound, for those there was no warning.

edit: mixed up the V1 and V2

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 14, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah and also animals can't really talk. What the heck, Tom??

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Roland Jones posted:

Jones has a somewhat strange physical appearance in general. Blonde, but her skin is a bit darker than Mort or Annie's, for example; check out the panel where Mort is trying to pull her by the hand. I'm pretty sure she's not supposed to map to any ethnicity in particular.

Edit: Another profile shot, same chapter as above, here. And here.

She looks a little bit like a Russian from Siberia. Flatter, slightly more Asiatic features from profile, but with more European coloring. Her nose is very Roman/Native American, though deeper set into her face than was considered in style by those cultures. And her skin's just dark enough to indicate that she's not a pasty white Englishman like the rest of the cast. Probably a fairly medium tone in foundation, and still definitely light enough to be considered "white" by people on the street in non court-places, where such things probably still matter.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

EoRaptor posted:

A buzz bomb retains its wings through its fall. Additionally, as long as you can hear the buzz bomb, you were safe. For Jones to be at ground zero, the sound would have had to have cut off in the middle of panel 6, otherwise the bomb would have flown over and landed somewhere else.

If this is supposed to be a conventional bomb, you wouldn't have heard the planes over the sirens, and you wouldn't have heard the bombs falling at all (the whistling sound is hollywood fantasy). A V1 'bomb' would have had neither sirens nor sound, for those there was no warning.

Sometimes fiction has to bend reality to match the fantasy people have built up in their heads. :shrug:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

EoRaptor posted:

If this is supposed to be a conventional bomb, you wouldn't have heard the planes over the sirens, and you wouldn't have heard the bombs falling at all (the whistling sound is hollywood fantasy). A V1 'bomb' would have had neither sirens nor sound, for those there was no warning.

Well, the only sound effect in the comics is the blaring of the siren, so I guess it's a correct depiction of a normal bomb.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

RickoniX posted:

I'm going to guess that what's about to fall on Jones is an SC250, since that was one of the more common types. It's hard to say exactly how big the blast radius would be, especially considering all the buildings around, but that's got around 120 pounds of TNT in it along with some other stuff. Even after getting out of the actual blast radius, he'd still be in range to be hit by pieces of falling building, flying metal shards, or other debris - say it might take him thirty seconds to get clear. It's likely that he'd have survived if he hadn't stopped to talk to Jones, then, but he would have had to really bust rear end, but if he'd never turned down the street to check on her to begin with he probably would have made it.

If it's a bigger bomb than I think, might be a different scenario. London got hit with SC1000 bombs as well, and if it was one of those he was boned right from the beginning.

EoRaptor posted:

It definitely isn't supposed to be a buzz bomb; he wouldn't draw one that shape.

Most of the accounts I've read of the Blitz and similar bombings of London have had people saying they remembered sounds as the bombs fell. Just googling at random right now, I ran across this one which describes the sound of a bomb falling as like "a train going through a tunnel". I'd tend to think you'd get some effect from air displacement if nothing else.

If the thing were travelling at supersonic speeds, you wouldn't hear anything from the point of impact (since the sound wouldn't reach you until after the bomb did), but as far as I know the types of bombs they used during the Blitz did not actually go that fast while falling. (Shells might since they were launched at higher speeds, and I know some heavier bombs were designed to reach supersonic speeds.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume this is a conventional bomb, and the rrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR is the (admittedly dramatised) sound of the bomber wing approaching.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DekeThornton posted:

Well, the only sound effect in the comics is the blaring of the siren, so I guess it's a correct depiction of a normal bomb.

The sirens 'ooooo' changes to 'RRRRRRRRR', the signature sound of the buzz bomb.

\/\/\/\/\/ Nope, notice how it's suddenly quiet? Buzz bombs flew until a timer ran out, cutting off the fuel supply. The engines shut down, and the bomb would keel over and dive for the ground. As long as you could hear the bomb, you were safe. When it went silent, then you were in real trouble.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 14, 2014

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I read it as the sirens dropping away and the increasing roar of approaching bombers.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Quote is not edit.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
15 minutes later:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

eriktown posted:

Aaaa, wow. It is yet another object lesson in that faith in Tom is mandatory.

If I begin worshipping Tom, will he make the snow and ice go away? I've been trying the sun lately, but so far my prayers are unanswered

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

The sirens 'ooooo' changes to 'RRRRRRRRR', the signature sound of the buzz bomb.

Or a prop-driven aeroplane. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR really isn't that specific.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Or a prop-driven aeroplane. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR really isn't that specific.
Maybe there's a very angry dog nearby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Ofaloaf posted:

Maybe there's a very angry dog nearby?