Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Useless stand justification challenge: The user has the ability to penetrate through solid objects, but only up to 1mm of thickness.

My best idea is having thin blades hidden in your fist, so they go flying through your hand and into someone's flesh when you punch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Did Jotaro and Dio ever fly? I thought that was just a thing in the OVA. I know Dio could jump pretty damned high but vampires have crazy strength and poo poo so no surprise there.

They start levitating after their first ORA ORA ORA/MUDA MUDA MUDA exchange. They're not straight up flying DBZ style, but they are able to levitate and sort of jump off the air. We also see Jotaro using Star Platinum to punch walls in order to change direction quickly. I guess the logic is supposed to be similar to a stand user getting hurt when their stand gets hurt, like the user's body follows the stand's movements? Who knows.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

a cartoon duck posted:

Dio was at his best in Part 6 when he was chilling on a bed with Pucci reading books. Anyone remember which chapter that happened in? It's seriously one of my favourite all-time JoJo panels.

I don't remember which chapter, but I remember Dio saying how much he loved a Michael Jackson concert and laughing for days.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

CodfishCartographer posted:

Useless stand justification challenge: The user has the ability to penetrate through solid objects, but only up to 1mm of thickness.

My best idea is having thin blades hidden in your fist, so they go flying through your hand and into someone's flesh when you punch them.

Just a matter of luring your opponent into the right arena.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Aurora posted:

That doesn't make sense when you think about how that affects the fight vs. Dio (e.g. he was only able to stop time for a second against him at first, while I'm sure finding a cigar and all that other stuff would take longer, especially since he wasn't able to stop every knife.)

I do think that D'Arby flipped the gently caress out because he thought Jotaro could stop time like Dio, though.

Jotaro could have been subconsciously using time stop.

That's my only issue with the ending to part 3. It makes sense in hindsight that Jotaro could stop time too, since it's the same kind of Stand as The World. I just wish there was more foreshadowing. It would be nice if this is one of the things that David Productions could add in to their adaption. I can just see a whole new generation of fans flipping out at the ending.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Jotaro's hitherto unknown time-stopping ability didn't bother me as much as how the final fight ended. Even with Jotaro able to stop time he was still getting outclassed by Dio, so his final plan was to... kick him so hard in the leg that Dio explodes? Alright.

Araki writes himself into too many corners, but at least it's not as bad as Diavolo's ending.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jotaro stopping time suddenly was kind of lame, but it's hype as poo poo in ASB.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Couldn't Star Platinum's crazy speed and precision have been him subconsciously slowing time a little?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Jotaro being able to stop time never really bothered me, since he never gets very good at it. Even at the climax of their fight, Jotaro could only use it to get behind Dio, and the actual win was done when time was flowing normally.

Then he actively refuses to ever use the thing other than when he really needs to, so he can stop it less and less. It felt like something Jotaro really wasn't supposed to be known for, and just kind of a thing he can pull out.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Momomo posted:

Then he actively refuses to ever use the thing other than when he really needs to, so he can stop it less and less. It felt like something Jotaro really wasn't supposed to be known for, and just kind of a thing he can pull out.

No, he eventually perfects the skill to be able to use to the maximum human potential of 5 seconds. Using it like that wears him down so he can't do it for as long in rapid succession, but he got good at it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I streamed the anime for a bit to watch with a friend last night, got through episode 4. Sbe'd never watched before, and now Dio, Speedwagon and GERBYE, JOJO are very important to her.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think it works if you look at the whole fight. The fact that Jotaro has a time stopping Stand is what lets him move in THE WORLD, meaning it's the thing that allows him to beat Dio. Jotaro performing his own time stop is the capstone to those moments when he is able to move just a little more than the last time, until he manages to move as much as Dio (of course, Dio gets more time from Joseph's blood, but vampires are tricky like that).

Ezzer posted:

Jotaro's hitherto unknown time-stopping ability didn't bother me as much as how the final fight ended. Even with Jotaro able to stop time he was still getting outclassed by Dio, so his final plan was to... kick him so hard in the leg that Dio explodes? Alright.

Araki writes himself into too many corners, but at least it's not as bad as Diavolo's ending.

The way the anime made it seem, The World is baseline stronger, but Star Platinum scales with Jotaro's anger. I dunno, it is kind of bullshit considering earlier Jotaro faked his death waiting for an opportunity for a direct blow to head. I mean, it's also bullshit that Dio gets a full heal and power boost after that blow to the head straight up wrecks him, but them's animes for ya.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A thing about the World. While it is stronger and faster then Star Platinum it is not as durable or precise. Also remember that stands injures transfer to the owner so it probably goes the other way as well. Jotaro had just broken Dio's leg which means that the less durable The World had a broken leg as well and that resulted in Dio's defeat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The time stop thing never bugged me until I looked back and saw it did come out of nowhere. When I first read that fight though, it was radical. That entire fight being so good relies on a lot of things, Jotaro's time stopping is part of it. Then Jotaro hits the time stop on top of Dio's and walks out from under the Steamroller and I flip my loving lid because it';s so awesome. On the subject of Star Platinum beating The World, Monsterenvy is right. The World while being stronger is far more fragile, it's kind of a recurring thing in that fight that Dio can't take as much punishment as Jotaro can. As evidenced by the several brutal injuries Dio takes severely crippling him and only surviving because he's an undead vampire. Meanwhile Jotaro goes through about every life-threatening thing in that fight and keeps on trucking.

That fight is seriously good, it's the most shonen fight in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but it's got Araki's touches making everything about it fantastic.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

MonsterEnvy posted:

A thing about the World. While it is stronger and faster then Star Platinum it is not as durable or precise. Also remember that stands injures transfer to the owner so it probably goes the other way as well. Jotaro had just broken Dio's leg which means that the less durable The World had a broken leg as well and that resulted in Dio's defeat.
How would Dio's vampire regeneration factor into this? We know it's not one of the many vampire powers that Araki forgot because Dio gets a heal from draining the unconscious Joseph. Jotaro should still be outclassed by Dio's supernatural strength whether you factor in stands or not.

Though Dio freezing time and immediately shooting out Jotaro's throat with Space Ripper Stingy Eyes then freezing everyone else to death while cackling would have been an anticlimactic ending to part 3.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
Stands being a type of Ripple technique, Dio being a vampire and being destroyed by Jotaro becoming stronger at using it seemed to be good enough for me.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I was pretty okay with Star Platinum getting time powers because it was foreshadowed fairly well before. I remember seeing comments from someone in the story about how similar Jotaro's and Dio's stands were.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
Dio also spends most of Part 3 even trying to be fully functionally while his head is pairing with Jonathan's body as noted in the Hol Horse chapters, draining Joseph's blood seems to help speed this up but it's entirely likely he still wasn't able to fight at his full ability during the Jotaro/Dio fight as the body is rejecting him.

Proceeds to get punched in the left leg by one of the most pissed off characters in the series shattering entirely.

Ocatamai fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 13, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually if Dio is to be believed (Which is a dubious source at best) all he needed was Joseph's blood to sync with Jonathan's body. That being said, even at his height with his vampire powers, Dio's regeneration could only do so much, even when split in half he had to go through some effort to pull everything back together and before that it took him quite a while before he could heal from the burns and stand on his own. In Super Mode the dude was split in two and turned into a blood fountain with a pissed off big man making sure he didn't get back up. Stands or not, Dio is still a fragile person who can only take any punishment because he's a vampire, he cannot be hurt like Jonathan or Jotaro can. Even if he is stronger, his body is weaker, if that's a way to put it?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Pretty much his busted leg had not healed right away. And The World getting punched in the busted leg caused it to break due to the fact it is all ready fairly fragile and he attacked with his weakest body part at that moment.

(Yeah The World only has a C durability wise.)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Soulcleaver posted:

How would Dio's vampire regeneration factor into this? We know it's not one of the many vampire powers that Araki forgot because Dio gets a heal from draining the unconscious Joseph. Jotaro should still be outclassed by Dio's supernatural strength whether you factor in stands or not.

The regeneration would work if it was Dio that Jotaro wrecked, but The World doesn't have any regen abilities. And since what happens to the Stand happens to the user, Dio was hosed.

Soulcleaver posted:

Though Dio freezing time and immediately shooting out Jotaro's throat with Space Ripper Stingy Eyes then freezing everyone else to death while cackling would have been an anticlimactic ending to part 3.

Man, Joseph managed to catch Space Ripper Stingy Eyes as a mere human. What makes you think that Star Platinum wouldn't be able to deflect it with no effort?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know, despite how often Araki plays fast and loose with the rules (especially regarding continuity), there's something that I often find quite hilarious, specifically regarding his little notes after an arc is over.

I'm re-reading Part 4, after Rohan's introductory arc there's this message that truly made me laugh: Pink Dark Boy by Rohan Kishibe was switched to a monthly schedule! :ohdear: Which I do believe goes to explain just how Rohan is able to have Bizarre Adventures of his own.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
https://www.youtube.com/user/warnerbrosanime/videos

Youtube is pretty cool you guys

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

They have a new channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcjqSFXBg2cGQg5r0YooMiA

Polnareff PV should be uploaded any moment now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Good, I was worried for a minute that Polnareff vid would not be on time today.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
IT'S UP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F_9IHS_fkk

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Aw yes, gimme da Polnareff. All of the Tres Biens.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Monsieur Joestar.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Pol's voice actor is perfect.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And here I thought Kotetsu's Hirata's voice was perfect for Polnareff. Boy, was I wrong. The best kind of wrong. :allears:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
"This account has been terminated due to repeated or severe violations of our Terms of Service."

Damned US copyright mafia tries to thwart Jojo again! :argh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Soulcleaver posted:

"This account has been terminated due to repeated or severe violations of our Terms of Service."

Onore Prince! :argh:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Soulcleaver posted:

Are you kidding me? Why? :psyduck:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Polnareff looks sorta washed-out, especially against the super colorful background (moreso than the others, but them too).

Is it one of those modern filters they use to make people look more "realistic" (by nearly making them greyscale)?

Looks weird.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
drat, that dude just nailed Polnareff's voice. Especially the "Tres Bien".

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pimpmust posted:

Polnareff looks sorta washed-out, especially against the super colorful background (moreso than the others, but them too).

Is it one of those modern filters they use to make people look more "realistic" (by nearly making them greyscale)?

Looks weird.

I think its just a matter of Polnareff being a less colorful character than the rest of the cast on average.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think Polnareff, Abdul, and Kakyoin are slightly color coded to match their Stands.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Not like it matters much what their colors are regularly, we can be pretty sure that when they're monologing they'll be whatever shades of green and purple anyways :allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well Kakyoin's PV already has him turning yellow against Tower of Gray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I hope they either get "Get Back" for the ED this time around, or at least secure the rights for the last episode.

• Locked thread