Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Fumble posted:

Did it cross an international date line? I have heard this can cause issues with modern avionics.

New theory: MH 370 crossed the international date line multiple times in succession and has traveled to the 25th of April 1875.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Tumble posted:

imagine if the plane shows up sunday but everybody on it doesnt know they are a week late cuz like, it went through a time portal.

makes ya think

they went through a time portal but got eaten by langoliers before they could get out

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Fumble posted:

Did it cross an international date line? I have heard this can cause issues with modern avionics.

The date line is east of Australia, so the only way it could have crossed is well after it dropped out of tracking. Look at a loving map.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
that's mostly a problem for next generation fighter jets anyway

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Is it be plausible that there was a major electrics failure, perhaps due to massive static discharge (e.g. lightning) that damaged/disabled communications and resulted in a fire which choked everyone to death including the pilots, ending in the plane ghost flying on a jacked-up auto pilot until it plunged into the sea?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Yaldabaoth posted:

they went through a time portal but got eaten by langoliers before they could get out

heh. That reminds me of that time when I was younger and got lost looking for a bathroom in that Vietnamese whore house after smoking a bunch of opium.

No. 6 posted:

Is it be plausible that there was a major electrics failure, perhaps due to massive static discharge (e.g. lightning) that damaged/disabled communications and resulted in a fire which choked everyone to death including the pilots, ending in the plane ghost flying on a jacked-up auto pilot until it plunged into the sea?

I don't recall there being concerns over the weather in the area but at this point we are discussing meteors, missiles and aliens so.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 14, 2014

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's probably a simple explanation for this. Like, the plane entered an area of turbulent electromagnetic energy which routed them into a parallel reality that is 99.9% just like ours, but different. They landed safely and are going about their business, having no idea that in our reality, they are missing.

So it's cool. Everything's cool.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

demonR6 posted:

I don't recall there being concerns over the weather in the area but at this point we are discussing meteors, missiles and aliens so.

You can have lightning even in a clear sky.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

redshirt posted:

There's probably a simple explanation for this. Like, the plane entered an area of turbulent electromagnetic energy which routed them into a parallel reality that is 99.9% just like ours, but different. They landed safely and are going about their business, having no idea that in our reality, they are missing.

I vote for this one. Case closed.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

No. 6 posted:

Same question but about the Emperor's Force Lightning.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

jscolon2.0 posted:

Same question but about the Emperor's Force Lightning.

Whoah there are you insinuating the Emperor teleported somehow into the cockpit of the airliner.. using his Force Lightning to wreck everything causing the plane to wreck and he manages to teleport back out?!

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

maybe they were planning to sell the plane to an island tribe for scrap metal to fund some sort of terrorist project

alternatively, they would land on an island and convince a tribe that they were gods, to cultivate a sort of warrior cult like the Fremen in Dune

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
How the gently caress did this thread get 500 new replies in a day? They haven't even found it yet.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
Hello.jpg, is it me you're looking for

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

redshirt posted:

dude. duuuuuuude.

what if theres like, a reality where this has happened to each flight ever.

what if we're all missing in one universe or another

woah

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

demonR6 posted:

Whoah there are you insinuating the Emperor teleported somehow into the cockpit of the airliner.. using his Force Lightning to wreck everything causing the plane to wreck and he manages to teleport back out?!

This kind of idle speculation is not productive. Clearly, the Emperor would never engage in such a trifling matter. He'd send a lackey. I think we're safe in ruling out the Emperor in this afair. At least directly.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

redshirt posted:

This kind of idle speculation is not productive. Clearly, the Emperor would never engage in such a trifling matter. He'd send a lackey. I think we're safe in ruling out the Emperor in this afair. At least directly.

So really the focus needs to be on what Sith Lord's were not accounted for on the night contact was lost.. and how many Sith Lord's have Force Lightning for that matter.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Feranon posted:

dude. duuuuuuude.

what if theres like, a reality where this has happened to each flight ever.

what if we're all missing in one universe or another

woah

I'm posting from the reality where 9/11 happened on 7/11 instead.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
wait, this thread title said another 777, did one ever crash before?

NO

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ignoarints posted:

NO

Boeing 777 Accidents
  • Asiana Airlines Flight 214
  • United Airlines Flight 955
  • Malaysia Airlines Flight 9
  • British Airways Flight 38

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ignoarints posted:

NO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiana_Airlines_Flight_214

this was less than a year ago, you must have the memory of a goldfish

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Malaysian Pilots Probed But Their Homes Not Searched

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cannot Find Server posted:

Not exactly the same scope. I remember the story but it was pretty throwaway, had I not happened to watch some tv news that day I wouldn't have heard of it either.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Jeffrey posted:

Not exactly the same scope. I remember the story but it was pretty throwaway, had I not happened to watch some tv news that day I wouldn't have heard of it either.

Ok, now I really can't tell when someone is fakepostin in this thread.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Not everyone is an aviation nerd who remembers what model of airplane was involved in what crash.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wow, the new twist that the plane might have actually been taken and then flew for several hours in the OPPOSITE direction and there's not even confirmation if the plane is crashed yet (although it most certainly is at this point) this has to be the most interesting aviation case in forever, the only way this can be topped is if the plane and the passengers were found in one piece.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I am a jet ace. In a single match.
With a mustang.

Get it!?

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.

No. 6 posted:

You wouldn't necessarily need an external source of ignition. There was an episode of Mayday about a plane which caught fire because the lovely aftermarket entertainment system overheated because too many people were playing video poker. But yeah, a fire would potentially account for the staggered loss of various systems.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Not everyone is an aviation nerd who remembers what model of airplane was involved in what crash.

Well, everyone should be :colbert:

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow, the new twist that the plane might have actually been taken and then flew for several hours in the OPPOSITE direction and there's not even confirmation if the plane is crashed yet (although it most certainly is at this point) this has to be the most interesting aviation case in forever, the only way this can be topped is if the plane and the passengers were found in one piece.

Man, I don't know if you're kidding or what but half the people posting in this thread were on that flight.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

weakness posted:

Man, I don't know if you're kidding or what but half the people posting in this thread were on that flight.

I just now got my goddamned luggage that was missing. I am writing a stern letter to MA after I get home and convince everyone I am not dead.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Just read a crazy but eerily plausible scenario whereby the plane was taken to be used as a delivery platform for a weapon of mass destruction. Certainly saves on the problem of finding a missile and can take a heavy object (like, say, an improvised nuclear weapon) on a very far trip.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ashpanash posted:

Just read a crazy but eerily plausible scenario whereby the plane was taken to be used as a delivery platform for a weapon of mass destruction. Certainly saves on the problem of finding a missile and can take a heavy object (like, say, an improvised nuclear weapon) on a very far trip.

Nah, this isn't plausible anywhere except Tom Clancy land. If a terrorist group had the means to hide and refuel a widebody jet aircraft, they'd probably not need to hijack one for this purpose.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The plane was intercepted by North Korea and now they're loading it on to a catapult so they can fling it at Seoul

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Blast of Confetti posted:

The plane was intercepted by North Korea and now they're loading it on to a catapult so they can fling it at Seoul

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Road_Warrior posted:

Isnt this near that island where those wankers live who come out and throw spears and poo poo at helicopters?

it's a fair way from anglesey, all told

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

ManlyWeevil posted:

And now China says they have a seismic event near the last known location of MH370.

On the other hand, USGS doesn't show anything of note

A seismic event could indicate use of a super secret magical Scalar Weapon. And I laughed at the conspiracy theorists a few pages ago. So either :911: or :ussr: was sending a message to China.

You know what you did China...

Nah, this isn't plausible anywhere except Tom Clancy land. If a terrorist group had the means to hide and refuel a widebody jet aircraft, they'd probably not need to hijack one for this purpose.

That, also a team of 2 or even more could not keep >200 people from using any electronics to send a message out as they started flying closer to land and, it would seem, some sort of cell/wireless coverage.

Deadbeat Poetry fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 14, 2014

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

redshirt posted:

So their missing in our reality, but are two of each passenger, crew and plane in the parallel reality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Anyone try to convince an insurance company all their expensive computer equipment was on Malaysian Airlines MH370 yet?

• Locked thread