Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

pokeyman posted:

I will take the hit and switch to non-greenpos for awhile, see if I can reproduce this. How often does it seem to "stick" until it needs resetting?

As to the dark theme working properly, that doesn't surprise me given the implementation of themes.

I tried to be more aware of when it was happening over the past day, and I'm pretty sure it's when the app is pushed out of RAM. Not entirely sure, but it definitely happened twice yesterday, and both times was after I had used some other apps or browsed a bit in Safari. The other times when I stayed within the app or didn't use any other apps in between Awful sessions, it seemed to hang on to the correct theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

jivjov posted:

Not sure why I didn't think of this before, but uninstalling and reinstalling the app seems to have helped the "two minute load times and a crash if the phone locks" issue. I'll have to try it on 3G still, but this is much better.

This is almost pure speculation, but I think what's going on here is the local cache of posts/threads/forums/users gets kinda big, and something's happening with it that takes a long time. I'll see about pruning the cache and maybe this will get better.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The app seems to have logged me out. I can browse the forums on my phone, but can't figure out how to log in, even under the phone settings (all it has under the Awful app is Acknowledgements).

Yeah there's nothing in the Settings.app except the licenses of third-party code. If you're not logged in, you should be presented with a login form when you open Awful. What happens instead?

Subjunctive posted:

I just had the quoted portion of a reply duplicated. I didn't notice it until I posted, but I was able to edit it out after.

Each time you tap a post and pick "Quote", it appends that post's contents to whatever post you're in the middle of writing. Any chance that happened unexpectedly?

death .cab for qt posted:

That's not limited to Awful 1. I saw the exact same thing happen to timestamps the other day, and I'm on the newest version of both Awful and iOS.

Oh, I hadn't noticed. Not sure what's up there, not really sure I want to figure out how to reproduce the problem either.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I tried to be more aware of when it was happening over the past day, and I'm pretty sure it's when the app is pushed out of RAM. Not entirely sure, but it definitely happened twice yesterday, and both times was after I had used some other apps or browsed a bit in Safari. The other times when I stayed within the app or didn't use any other apps in between Awful sessions, it seemed to hang on to the correct theme.

That certainly sounds like a clue! It's on the list.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Each time you tap a post and pick "Quote", it appends that post's contents to whatever post you're in the middle of writing. Any chance that happened unexpectedly?

I would think there's a really good chance of that. I didn't know multiquote was even possible, thank you!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Is there an easy way to quote just part of a long post? Editing long quotes is kinda slow, particularly since I can't seem to select more than one screen of text at a time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Soricidus posted:

Is there an easy way to quote just part of a long post? Editing long quotes is kinda slow, particularly since I can't seem to select more than one screen of text at a time.

For now just select the paragraph with the selector and write the quote tags yourself?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

pokeyman posted:

Yeah there's nothing in the Settings.app except the licenses of third-party code. If you're not logged in, you should be presented with a login form when you open Awful. What happens instead?

It let me browse just like I was a visitor, Adbot, gently caresses and all. I deleted and reinstalled it and it let me login that way though.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Soricidus posted:

Yeah a better way of doing this would be nice. Seems like you can't scroll the selection to get rid of large bits of text, you can only get the few visible lines at a time. Or I'm doing it wrong.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
It seems like randomly when I load a thread (maybe just bookmarks? Not sure since I don't spend much time outside of bookmarks) with unread posts everything gets colored blue as if they were seen posts. Then sometimes they aren't and everything is fine. I can't exactly see much rhyme or reason to why/when it happens, though. Latest version, iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.6 and dark theme.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 13, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snowy posted:

Yeah a better way of doing this would be nice. Seems like you can't scroll the selection to get rid of large bits of text, you can only get the few visible lines at a time. Or I'm doing it wrong.

Tap the paragraph you want to get rid of with two fingers.

(this is an iOS feature, by the way, it works everywhere)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

It's on the list. You aren't missing anything.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It let me browse just like I was a visitor, Adbot, gently caresses and all. I deleted and reinstalled it and it let me login that way though.

This is pretty strange. Maybe we're making some invalid assumptions about the session cookie. Or forgetting to check it somewhere.

fourwood posted:

It seems like randomly when I load a thread (maybe just bookmarks? Not sure since I don't spend much time outside of bookmarks) with unread posts everything gets colored blue as if they were seen posts. Then sometimes they aren't and everything is fine. I can't exactly see much rhyme or reason to why/when it happens, though. Latest version, iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.6 and dark theme.

This is a bug from a misguided chunk of code that tries to keep the posts view synchronized with the thread's unread count. The idea was to update the posts if you e.g. mark the thread unread from the sidebar on an iPad. It's on the list for decommissioning.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Is there anybody who prefers the old way of sorting bookmarks (that is, strictly by date, without grouping threads with unread posts at the top)?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Just got the can't one finger scroll bug twice three times in a row. I want to scream.

I want to say this bug actually went away for a while but it's definitely been showing up a lot more lately.

Also, I haven't really noticed that much of a difference between the bookmark sorting; at least, not enough to make me care either way.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 14, 2014

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Is there anybody who prefers the old way of sorting bookmarks (that is, strictly by date, without grouping threads with unread posts at the top)?

Yes. I don't want things sorted by unread only. I like being able to see things chronologically, so that terminally post less threads get un bookmarked instead of just bookmarked and never viewed

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

pokeyman posted:

Yep, me.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

pokeyman posted:

No. I like it that way. Maybe give us an option like the android awful app does.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

bronin posted:

No. I like it that way. Maybe give us an option like the android awful app does.

It's an option right now, with no plans to change. Just curious. It's pretty easy to support (except apparently it doesn't work in some way I can't reproduce).

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
How do you rate threads? I'm on iOS 7.1 on a 5c, and 7.1 on an ipad Mini. I want to say that it used to be long single press , and select rate thread, but it doesn't work that way now.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

kizudarake posted:

How do you rate threads? I'm on iOS 7.1 on a 5c, and 7.1 on an ipad Mini. I want to say that it used to be long single press , and select rate thread, but it doesn't work that way now.

It's in the thread actions popup in the bottom right corner (when in the thread) rather than the long-press in the thread list.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

pokeyman posted:

It's an option right now, with no plans to change. Just curious. It's pretty easy to support (except apparently it doesn't work in some way I can't reproduce).

Oh right. :downs:
I was really glad when you included the option in the iOS app since I've become so accustomed to it from the Android app.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

pokeyman posted:

This is pretty strange. Maybe we're making some invalid assumptions about the session cookie. Or forgetting to check it somewhere.

Would you like me to take a few snapshots if it happens again? Something else I forgot to mention was the Adbot, instead of being the second post on a page, it was the last.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

bronin posted:

Oh right. :downs:
I was really glad when you included the option in the iOS app since I've become so accustomed to it from the Android app.

Someone else did the work, I just reworded the setting. I think ultramiraculous slammed it in there. But yes, I went from "whatever, don't care about this much" to "this feature is amazing".

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Would you like me to take a few snapshots if it happens again? Something else I forgot to mention was the Adbot, instead of being the second post on a page, it was the last.

Sure! I'm actually quite curious how Awful deals with life in the logged out world. It tries very hard to determine when you're logged out, so most of it just assumes you're logged in.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Every time I open Awful, it immediately closes itself. Every other app works fine. Anyone else having this problem?

E: nevermind, seems to work now.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 14, 2014

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

I like it but I don't care if they get sorted by read/unread. But don't you dare go changing circle colors again :bahgawd:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

But yes, I went from "whatever, don't care about this much" to "this feature is amazing".

Same here. Once I got used to it, I had to install SALR just so I could get it on my desktop.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

10 Beers posted:

Every time I open Awful, it immediately closes itself. Every other app works fine. Anyone else having this problem?

E: nevermind, seems to work now.

Happening to me too, except it opens and doesn't display anything, then stays open.

I just installed 7.1 for iPad the other day, I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Reinstalled just now and seems to work fine. welp.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 14, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

step aside posted:

iPhone version - I'm using the button shapes accessibility feature in iOS 7.1 and when you're swiping to go back the color of the button spazzes out. This happens if you're more than one thread later in, so like when you're in a thread and you click on a link to another post and then you try to swipe back.

So I had a look at this, and I see the problem. I'm not sure how to fix it though. That button shapes feature is entirely opaque from Awful's perspective (I can't even tell programmatically whether the setting is turned on). Which is probably the right way to implement the feature, it just doesn't give me any obvious options for fixing it.

It's still on the list though. If I get a sudden inspiration or hear someone else complaining about the same problem, I'll get on it.

Stew Man Chew posted:

Happening to me too, except it opens and doesn't display anything, then stays open.

I just installed 7.1 for iPad the other day, I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Reinstalled just now and seems to work fine. welp.

To you and anyone else who had Awful magically stop crashing on a reinstall: not your fault. Looking into it.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.
Is there any chance of adding a slider under options to post with signatures on please? Also a smilies browser would be great.

I love this app and it's wonderful. Thank you!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I was editing this post, the — dashes in the quoted section didn't render, just had two spaces in a row.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400187&perpage=40&pagenumber=168#post427141078

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I've been getting a lot of "Host server not found" on the app today but it works fine in safari.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This isn't a huge problem, but I've noticed that the separator lines in the sidebar disappear for no noticeable reason.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Baby Town Frolics posted:

Is there any chance of adding a slider under options to post with signatures on please? Also a smilies browser would be great.

I love this app and it's wonderful. Thank you!

Yes and yes! Both on the list.

Actually if anyone has any thoughts for how to handle post options in the new post screen (mainly show signature, maybe automatically parse URLs and bookmark thread too while we're here) I'm all eyes and ears.

Subjunctive posted:

When I was editing this post, the — dashes in the quoted section didn't render, just had two spaces in a row.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400187&perpage=40&pagenumber=168#post427141078

Good catch, I'm on it!

the wildest rear end posted:

This isn't a huge problem, but I've noticed that the separator lines in the sidebar disappear for no noticeable reason.

Yeah I've never been able to figure out what is going on there. One of these days.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Can those of you for whom Awful immediately crashes on launch try the new version? I think I fixed it.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Update is out on AppStore. Share sheet looks nice. I don't use it that often to nitpick though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And before anyone posts it, there's an error with the FYAD action sheet colors, and BYOB's weren't implemented yet.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I didn't realise mine had updated and I clicked to quote a post and thought I had a strange new bug. It's quite a difference. A good difference though.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

pokeyman posted:

Actually if anyone has any thoughts for how to handle post options in the new post screen (mainly show signature, maybe automatically parse URLs and bookmark thread too while we're here) I'm all eyes and ears.
Maybe add some sort of settings popover button on the far right side of the extra keyboard row? Kinda like how the Formatting Options works in-thread right now.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Beautiful update. Looks like I can read truncated thread titles again too! Woo!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Huge love for the new post/thread option menu. Very slick

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

The clickable area to go to the next page seems to be to the outside of the location of the button: I need to press to the right of the next page button on my 4s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
This update is great. BYOB style sheet is a thing of beauty. 10/10

• Locked thread