Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It must have slipped my mind that a lot of units require more than a single resource. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
For Ulm you can counter poor resources that with Riches from Beneath, an earth spell that you can get fairly easily.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
In a hypothetically perfectly balanced game of dominions, two units of the same gold cost would give both units equal stats, but the more resource-intensive unit better gear that makes up with it. Gear resource cost would always be based on the stat bonuses it gives, thus making high res units' only penalty taking longer to recruit the same goldcost of units, with the benefit of being better.

Instead we live in a world where wearing platemail, as opposed to a loincloth + shield, can be a hazard to your health.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Excelsiortothemax posted:

For Ulm you can counter poor resources that with Riches from Beneath, an earth spell that you can get fairly easily.

I don't know if I would consider a global spell that requires enchantment six, E5, and at least 70 gems fairly easily. I guess easy relatively to other global spells, but it's still something that can be dispelled by any other player, makes you a target to every other player for resources which by the time you can cast it you should have plenty of forts up anyway.

Plus with Ulm the mages that would be casting that spell are probably smiths that already give a resource bonus.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Not to mention that spell doesn't actually DO anything.

The best way to deal with high resource requirements is to have more money and more forts, not to blow all your gems and research on getting resources.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

In a hypothetically perfectly balanced game of dominions, two units of the same gold cost would give both units equal stats, but the more resource-intensive unit better gear that makes up with it. Gear resource cost would always be based on the stat bonuses it gives, thus making high res units' only penalty taking longer to recruit the same goldcost of units, with the benefit of being better.

Instead we live in a world where wearing platemail, as opposed to a loincloth + shield, can be a hazard to your health.

The version of Dominions I expect to be playing in 2025 (Ie, Dominions 5) will hopefully have a revolutionary redesign moment like the move from Civ2 to Alpha Centauri where you can design your own units and have costs/restrictions/ availabilities come from various things including your national traits, magic paths, research, etc.

If you think about it, the nation-gen is way more than just a silly mod built on the basis of a neat pixelmasher, it's proof of concept that the near infinite combinations needed to support customization isn't that hard to do. Doing this would also make unit choice more interesting for lots of nations that basically have two or three special units then 10 variations of "spearman with hat, armored spearman, spearman with shield, spearman with shield but not hat" etc.

I would be really surprised if Illwinter ever did this though, because it would require a new engine, and as far as I can tell they're literally still using pieces of code from the first dominions. Our best case scenario is probably a Dwarf Fortress-Gnomoria type scenario.

Sometimes I ask myself "Was I always a nerd?" but I think this post just answered my question.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Smerdyakov posted:

Dominions + Alpha Centauri = :hellyeah:

That'd be super-cool but then every nation's troops would look even more similar, at least in terms of the bare minimum to cover all your bases - spear & shield & light/no armour, spear & shield & heavy armour, long/composite/crossbow, light cav., heavy cav., dual-wielder maybe? You'd have to make it so that every nation's equipment list was quite significantly different in order for it to be interesting (only some have length 5+ weapons, only some have tower shields, some only have bucklers, etc.) which is actually not too dissimilar from what we have now.

Don't get me wrong, this idea kicks arse, but cookie-cutter-ism abounds.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah. No thank you.

One of the problems of Fallen Enchantress was the make-your-own-unit system subtracted personality and identity to each nation. I prefer the old Master of Magic or Age of Wonders style of races/nations.

This race has cheap but weak troops to amass, that race has trolls with regeneration and centaurs as cavalry, this one has stealthy assassins and holy mages and that one has amphibious monsters that you can summon. Differences.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah, I really don't think the custom-unit thing would work at all. While it's fun to dream I realistically think it would detract significantly from the national identities and strategy inherent to the game as "best" configurations would become the norm from nation to nation. I'd personally rather not see this.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
Needing to take production versus sloth is a pretty big disadvantage because being able to rebuild an army to protect your mages is a big deal in year 2 and 3 wars. That stage most battles end with the army routing and most of the mages getting away. The ability to have constant chaff is awesome.

Custom units would work better if the power level of most of the nations was higher and things with fear, awe, regeneration and shapechange were running around. If every unit was as strong as skinshifters then it would be more interesting.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah. No thank you.

One of the problems of Fallen Enchantress was the make-your-own-unit system subtracted personality and identity to each nation. I prefer the old Master of Magic or Age of Wonders style of races/nations.

This race has cheap but weak troops to amass, that race has trolls with regeneration and centaurs as cavalry, this one has stealthy assassins and holy mages and that one has amphibious monsters that you can summon. Differences.

The idea isn't that "suddenly everyone has the same human footmen" but that most nations could have their unique chasises and a unique equipment list then build off of those. Ie, ulm has access to heavy armor, Agartha has those big dumb ancient ones, Caleum has crappy birdmen, Abysia can't build archers, C'tis are cowardly lizards, etc. I don't see the wondrous diversity in some nations being able to pay more resources for helmets and others not being able to for reasons that don't seem to have any justification in lore or national traits. I just can't think of any nations that lose personality by being able to choose between a mace and a flail.

As it stands right now, many nations have lots of chaff units that are basically indistinguishable from each other and no one ever builds any but the cheapest of them under normal conditions, since they all do the same thing.

I Love You! posted:

Yeah, I really don't think the custom-unit thing would work at all. While it's fun to dream I realistically think it would detract significantly from the national identities and strategy inherent to the game as "best" configurations would become the norm from nation to nation. I'd personally rather not see this.

This is a bigger issue with game balance. If it's always best to give a certain unit a certain weapon and all other choices are always inferior, then players aren't making real choices, they're only being rewarded or punished based on how much metagame knowledge they have.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Vengeful Water is a cool spell, its like Wrath of God but it only works in your dominion and you get to see all the enemy scouts get murdered

rip

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I wish to (re)join the Goon Game Service now that I've succumbed to the siren song of the new version of the game. (I see nothing suggesting the thread post part is not still a thing, other than the suspicious dearth of posts about it from people who are not Mystic Mongol.)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 14, 2014

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

Vengeful Water is a cool spell, its like Wrath of God but it only works in your dominion and you get to see all the enemy scouts get murdered

rip

Its cool as hell to watch the scouts melt, not to mention really cool that because i have cold scales at atlantis in my game all i get is ice elementals.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

You can see the problems inherent in Normal Dominions from the list of most-picked nations, though.

Nations with decent light infantry are pretty much three-quarters of the top bit of the list, alongside giants and factions that happen to be new (like Ur, a not especially great faction imo).

That's what people seem to be playing with so far, if not winning with so far (do we have a list of winners yet?)

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Due to the site code overhaul that happened before, I went to the trouble of making an increased gem/other effects mod called Chocolate Sites. Right now it doesn't modify thrones or caps, but all the other sites are modified.
I'm also posting it as a useful resource so other coders don't have to rewrite all the site values by hand, only modify a line or two.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gag22bin9zwvanp/Chocolate_Sites_0.2.rar

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
What kind of changes does it make? More gems, more 'enter to summon' sites, more neat unique recruitables?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Basically. It's still at 0.2 though, so it's far from finished.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

amuayse posted:

Basically. It's still at 0.2 though, so it's far from finished.

Oh good. I liked the dom 3 awesomesites so I am sure to enjoy this.

If I can make a minor request, please put your personal and professional lives on hold while you create this. Thank you!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The hard part of copying a million site values and making sure Dominons doesn't suffer an aneurysm is done, so I can update more frequently. I welcome more site modders to use Chocolate as a modding template so they don't have to sacrifice years of life and sanity like I did.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Oh great, sounds fun I'll give it a spin. One thing I particularly liked about AwesomeSites was being able to recruit cap-only nationals from captured enemy capitols. It kind of makes victory all the sweeter when, after a long bloody war, you get the prize of being able to recruit Vanjarls or Dryads or what have you.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

jBrereton posted:

You can see the problems inherent in Normal Dominions from the list of most-picked nations, though.

Nations with decent light infantry are pretty much three-quarters of the top bit of the list, alongside giants and factions that happen to be new (like Ur, a not especially great faction imo).

That's what people seem to be playing with so far, if not winning with so far (do we have a list of winners yet?)

There's huge value in having line infantry you can build past the early game without it being a waste. On one end of the spectrum are TNN and the -heim nations plus most giants, and they have units you can use all game. On the other end of the spectrum you have Agartha, whose line infantry you should try to avoid building for the entire game. In the middle are nations like Arco and Pythium whose troops are not bad but literally nothing special, and then you arguably have the paths to make them relevant with buffs later.

In general it's just way more forgiving/powerful to play with units that don't need anything more complicated than a generic commander and being set to attack closest, whereas my experience with Agartha has been that even the smallest tactical oversight usually leads to incredibly heavy casualties.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

A shape-shifting guy with a huge fuckoff two handed weapon that can easily punch through any armored linemen for 7 resources.

I just described a dozen units.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Something cool not everyone might have realized about the level one reanimation spell:

Cast reanimation as a silly size 2 nation and you'll get this -

Yeah, stupid poo poo like the rest of Caelum, dumb waste of 5 death gems, who cares...

But cast reanimation as Ashdod and you'll get this -

20 strength is four times as good as 10 at sieging. Five loving gems for things that you can shuttle around on a Mound King and put on a fort after you've started sieging it with your main guys. If your giants are forced to eat parts of themselves whenever they do a siege and you don't have A3 for great eagles, get a D1 mage and buy some of these can openers.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
There are also unique longdead Caelians, Jotuns, Lizards and Monkeys most of which are standard crappy longdead. There are even some unique size 2 longdead (like Longdead Hoplites) that only show up for certain dudes (presumably the Hoplites show up for Arco).

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
There's also spooooooooky shadow tritons that show up for lemurs and presumably underwater mans who somehow think it's a good idea to make shadows.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Do beasts add to the siege power? Like if l were to summon a bunch of werewolves and their wolf followers on a hex that I am sieging would that work?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Do beasts add to the siege power? Like if l were to summon a bunch of werewolves and their wolf followers on a hex that I am sieging would that work?

They do, though there are some that get a specific penalty like Black Hawks so that you couldn't just instantly melt a castle with a bajillion flyers.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Ok, what units DO have a siege penalty? Black hawks are the only ones I know for sure do.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Any 'animal' unit has a siege penalty, it's part of the #animal tag.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Any 'animal' unit has a siege penalty, it's part of the #animal tag.
WRONG AND BAD INFORMATION.

Black Hawks aye, everything else, no.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I thought the modding manual said that #animal had a siege penalty but nope I'm just imagining things :shepicide:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Neruz is an idiot as usual. One of the Dom3 manual's many lies was the claim that animals had a penalty for siege defense. This is still not the case.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Neruz is an idiot as usual. One of the Dom3 manual's many lies was the claim that animals had a penalty for siege defense. This is still not the case.

This thread took a harsh turn fast. Blackhawks definitely have some kind of penalty, but is the penalty offset by the flier bonus? Second question: is there a flier siege attack bonus?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
2014-03-15 17:50:49 +0100
Speed up particle effects to when fast forwarding
Ice weapons are not affected by fire bless
New pretenders: Maharishi, Raksharani
Whip of command commands more but gives morale penalty
Caelum updated
Scale Walls ability for some assassins
Improved information for targets of Wrath of God and some other spells
Boots of the Messenger reinvigoration 2 -> 3
Red numbers for Vortex of Unlife too
Improved province info
Fixed starting age for Golem and some other constructs
Bunch of maps didn't support wrapping properly

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Smerdyakov posted:

This thread took a harsh turn fast. Blackhawks definitely have some kind of penalty, but is the penalty offset by the flier bonus? Second question: is there a flier siege attack bonus?
There is a +1 attack bonus for flying, which is the thing negated by a -1 penalty to Black Hawks' siege ability, leaving them at their base (garbage) strength rating.

Hope Caelum gets a W3 Ice Arrows ability. That'd be top.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Is there a reason why so many people seem to prefer Vine Shields over Shields of Gleaming Gold for thugs/SC's? Everyone always mentions the former, but the latter has *extremely* good stats for a shield, pairs well with fear-inducing items/abilities, and it looks like a wash as to which one has the better crowd control ability (Awe doesn't work well on high-morale enemies, but vines don't work well against high-strength enemies, either).

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
vine shields are really easy to forge.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jBrereton posted:

There is a +1 attack bonus for flying, which is the thing negated by a -1 penalty to Black Hawks' siege ability, leaving them at their base (garbage) strength rating.

Hope Caelum gets a W3 Ice Arrows ability. That'd be top.

Presumably they have their sacred Blizzard Warriors now. The fire bless not applying to ice weapons is wierd; are there even any sacreds with ice weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Presumably they have their sacred Blizzard Warriors now. The fire bless not applying to ice weapons is wierd; are there even any sacreds with ice weapons?
EA and MA Caelum's Temple Guard.

• Locked thread