Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Bondematt posted:

Ok, now I really can't tell when someone is fakepostin in this thread.

I wasn't fakeposting. Do you really think it could be fakeposting to suggest that not everyone pays attention to every plane accident? Should people also pay attention and read about every train derailment? Every natural disaster that kills 2 people? Every car crash that results in death? I would posit that there is very little to gain from reading about that on a day to day basis. It's hypocritical to care about plane accidents as if they are of supreme importance when car accidents are a much larger problem, and plane accidents make the news solely because they flashy and rare. This case is pretty interesting since the plane hasn't even been found and there is an element of mystery, but I don't know why anyone not involved and not particularly interested in avionics would spend more than 5 minutes thinking about a plane missing the runway in San Francisco.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
It's actually the new test model of F-35

A successful one

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Savings Coupon posted:

That, also a team of 2 or even more could not keep >200 people from using any electronics to send a message out as they started flying closer to land and, it would seem, some sort of cell/wireless coverage.

I dunno, gas the plane, kill everyone onboard, while the pilots wear gasmasks?

I agree it's totally in Clancyland, and completely unlikely. But then again, this entire loving story is already completely unlikely.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

FullLeatherJacket posted:

it's a fair way from anglesey, all told

Lol, I chortled.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

myshl0ng posted:

It's actually the new test model of F-35

A successful one

let's stick to realistic scenarios like alien wormholes pls

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ashpanash posted:

I dunno, gas the plane, kill everyone onboard, while the pilots wear gasmasks?

I agree it's totally in Clancyland, and completely unlikely. But then again, this entire loving story is already completely unlikely.

The easy way to control the passengers on a plane you have taken over is to take the flight crew's oxygen supply for yourself, then decompress the cabin. Even if you can't keep the rest of the plane from the drop down masks, they only last for 15 minutes or so.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Was the seismic event from a meteor that hit the plane or was that ruled out

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
why is everyone at my work talking about this :siren:plane:siren:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I've seen a bunch of meteors around lately

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
hello I work at a Plane Crash Detective Agency ask me about missing planes

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
where is the missing plane?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Probably the ocean lol

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
I dunno ufos and russia and poo poo

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Jeffrey posted:

I wasn't fakeposting. Do you really think it could be fakeposting to suggest that not everyone pays attention to every plane accident? Should people also pay attention and read about every train derailment? Every natural disaster that kills 2 people? Every car crash that results in death? I would posit that there is very little to gain from reading about that on a day to day basis. It's hypocritical to care about plane accidents as if they are of supreme importance when car accidents are a much larger problem, and plane accidents make the news solely because they flashy and rare. This case is pretty interesting since the plane hasn't even been found and there is an element of mystery, but I don't know why anyone not involved and not particularly interested in avionics would spend more than 5 minutes thinking about a plane missing the runway in San Francisco.

It was more of the news was entirely covered with it for about a month, and then the whole "They ran over a girl" thing. Don't forget to take your medicine, man.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bondematt posted:

It was more of the news was entirely covered with it for about a month

LOL, you watch news

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Angela Christine posted:

LOL, you watch news

Trap sprung :(

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I enjoy watching a good plane crash

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
In addition to meteor

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Al-Saqr posted:

... the only way this can be topped is if the plane and the passengers were found in one piece.

Fused together in some kind of freaky human/777 hybrid monster? Yeah, I'm on board with this theory now.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Curious, why would you want/need the ability to turn off a transponder?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I don't have a theory yet, but would like to auction off my belief to the best-sounding bidder.

Do I hear time-travelling Nazis to start the bid?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Herv posted:

I forget where I read this, but apparently it's about the risk of a fire starting if it malfunctions somehow. If it's overheating, you want to be able to cut power to it.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

where is the missing plane?

landed safely near an obscure island in the indian ocean, beginning of a new cargo cult...

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

TealShark posted:

Fused together in some kind of freaky human/777 hybrid monster? Yeah, I'm on board with this theory now.

Now I'm wondering if this is all just an elaborate promotion for the new Godzilla movie.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

I forget where I read this, but apparently it's about the risk of a fire starting if it malfunctions somehow. If it's overheating, you want to be able to cut power to it.

Makes sense, I'm sure they're dumping a lot of power into those devices in order to make the range useful.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Fallom posted:

Makes sense, I'm sure they're dumping a lot of power into those devices in order to make the range useful.

I guess, though it seems like hardcore ceramic insulation would be less risky than having a transponder that could be electively shut off.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Overwined posted:

I guess, though it seems like hardcore ceramic insulation would be less risky than having a transponder that could be electively shut off.

Well when you step through the process you get into things like "Why would someone shut off the transponder in the first place?" and the options are "He's going to ram his own plane into the ocean because his wife left him" or "Hijackers".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nickutz posted:

So their missing in our reality, but are two of each passenger, crew and plane in the parallel reality?

Yes. But - and forgive me, it's been many seasons since my last transdimensional reality class - when an object shifts from one reality to another, this is compensated in ALL realities by other things shifting.

Thus, we probably got some mysterious Bangladeshi boat or something appearing in our reality to compensate for the disappearance of this plane into another reality.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Yeaaaaaah don't search the homes of the people who are at this point basically suspect of the murder of 230+ people.
Seems pretty obvious that if this case is ever to be solved, it needs to be done by other countries than Malaysia.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

it's 2014 how the gently caress can no one find a loving huge airplane

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

THS posted:

it's 2014 how the gently caress can no one find a loving huge airplane
:ssh: It's at the bottom of a really big ocean. :ssh:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's a pretty small ocean all things considered.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

when you say gently caress the ocean, you do not mean the Indian ocean, like ever.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

By "all things" you mean the size of your waistband, right?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

geke rowsperg posted:

when you say gently caress the ocean, you do not mean the Indian ocean, like ever.

I avoid the Indian Ocean due to sea based rapes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Overwined posted:

By "all things" you mean the size of your waistband, right?

hey it's bigger than that if i suck in a little

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Malaysia prob didn't even know the flight was missing until some other country pointed it out

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Herv posted:

I've heard they always turn them off when they land

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

myshl0ng posted:

Malaysia prob didn't even know the flight was missing until some other country pointed it out

I actually had that happen once at Dulles. Copa Airlines never sent the plane over there but also never told anyone it wasn't coming, then when we tried to get new tickets they said the plane departed Dulles with no passengers so it wasn't their fault we didn't board

It took 2 months to get a refund through a chargeback lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember that lovely TV show The Event that was cancelled after half a season? Remember that plane? That's what happened to this plane.

• Locked thread